• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Easy ABV Coconut Oil Recipe(Crockpot)

ChocolateMonk

I am very new to FC and still learning what is "obvious" to the community and what isn't. Apologies if I gave offense. :)

If you are asking "do people ever use concentrates in edibles?" I think the answer is "yes."

np's mate I was not offended. im new to making edibles with vape poo and I just wondered why I can't find any posts about using abv oil in butter. I ask as I have been making brownies for the last few months by just dumping a couple of oz of abv into the mix. but this makes them dry and taste like crap so wanted to use butter instead. thing is can't see how I can get that much abv into the small amount of butter needed for the brownies, so they have the same potency. guess I will just try it out

ChocolateMonk,

puddleglum

np's mate I was not offended. im new to making edibles with vape poo and I just wondered why I can't find any posts about using abv oil in butter. I ask as I have been making brownies for the last few months by just dumping a couple of oz of abv into the mix. but this makes them dry and taste like crap so wanted to use butter instead. thing is can't see how I can get that much abv into the small amount of butter needed for the brownies, so they have the same potency. guess I will just try it out

Wow, a couple of ounces?!? My last batch of brownies, I wanted them stronger than usual, so I used a whopping 5 grams ABV total for the tray!

My normal everyday non-ABV recipe is 0.5g bubble hash per tray (which works out to 0.031g per brownie, if the tray is cut into 16ths).

puddleglum,

beach bum

Ahoy, Cmonk! You might be surprised how much stuff a good fat can absorb. You can get quite a bit of duff into butter, coconut oil, or cocoa butter (as well as other fats).

Find a butter recipe that you like (@Vitolo might be a good source - he's super knowledgable about this kind of stuff). Some find the 'old fashioned' method (butter, water, and duff simmering on low for hours...strain out solids and put in fridge to get the good stuff off the top) works really well.

If you are interested in extraction for edibles in alcohol, I might suggest Everclear or 151 as safer options (in the event you don't get all the alcohol out).

Either of these methods should help make your edibles tasty and delicious.

Wishing you success! :peace:

beach bum,

ChocolateMonk

lol yes puddleglum 2 oz. last batch had 60 odd grams in them and I only get 8 slices. what can I say? im old and been smoking, now vaping, a very long time :D
thanks beach bum I will have a look. I take it I can re-abv the coconut oil many times then? a kind of add abv, soak, strain, add new abv, soak, strain and so on?

ChocolateMonk,
Reactions: killick

grokit

well-worn member
Speaking only and purely for myself: The label on my coconut oil says "organic 100% pure extra virgin food grade" and the label on my ISO says "WARNING: for external use only, will cause gastric upset if taken internally."

I am a health-conscious medical user, so this is what I call a "no brainer." :)
There are much worse fats for your health used in even gourmet foods than coconut oil.

beach bum

lol yes puddleglum 2 oz. last batch had 60 odd grams in them and I only get 8 slices. what can I say? im old and been smoking, now vaping, a very long time :D
thanks beach bum I will have a look. I take it I can re-abv the coconut oil many times then? a kind of add abv, soak, strain, add new abv, soak, strain and so on?

I guess you could "re-abv", but you may find you don't need to.

Putting it into fat (using the water method noted above) gets the goodies into the fat and gets rid of the dry/crap taste (IMHO). I've never seen anybody need 2 oz for 8 brownies this way. I'm not sure anybody I know could stand up after eating the equivalent of 1/4 oz of duff per serving (my hat goes off to you, sir). Is your abv burnt/super dark? That might help explain the potency issue.

ChocolateMonk

yes it may sound a lot but i promise you that is what i put in the mix. the first batch i made i followed the youtube video where they put 20g in and they were hitless. so i doubled next batch and so on. now i find 60ish grams in the mix cut into 8 is ok. 2 slices with a coffee is nice :)
my abv is a bit darker brown than cig baccy with no burnt bits on it, in fact I can see a few greenish flakes in my jar.

ChocolateMonk,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

beach bum

yes it may sound a lot but i promise you that is what i put in the mix. the first batch i made i followed the youtube video where they put 20g in and they were hitless. so i doubled next batch and so on. now i find 60ish grams in the mix cut into 8 is ok. 2 slices with a coffee is nice :)
my abv is a bit darker brown than cig baccy with no burnt bits on it, in fact I can see a few greenish flakes in my jar.

If the abv isn't spent, I would think you'd get potency without having to consume 1/4 oz per serving. However, we are all different. :)

If you give it a try, please post your results and enjoy. Bon appetit! :D

beach bum,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

zor

Used 10g of ABV that had been vaped at different temps (mix of spent herb from a pax and volcano) and made some cannacaps with coconut oil and soy lecithin. I ground up the ABV in a coffee grinder to homogenize and increase surface area. Out of laziness, I didn't measure my coconut oil and added a little too much to the ABV in a small glass which made a soupy mix. After letting it cook in a waterbath for ~16 hours in my slow cooker on low (I took the temp and wrote it down but that's at home), strained it and then prepped 83 size "0" caps.

I took 10 of these yesterday on an empty stomach as I left work around 6pm, had very pleasant burps which were cocolicious but the weed taste was definitely there so probably not the stealthiest of edibles ;) Honestly, I didn't feel a profound effect other than a light buzz. I stuck it through till 8pm and took a bag from my volcano and I was hit realllllly hard.

I have a pretty high tolerance (:() but find that I get a good effect from nutella firecrackers with 1-2g of abv. 10 caps would equate to taking about 1.2g of abv (assuming perfect extraction, which of course isn't the case here), but then I thought about the difference in preparing the cannacaps from abv vs the firecrackers I make with abv...the firecrackers sit in a 320F oven for 20ish minutes, which ought to help decarb any inactivated THC, while the slowcooker water can never reach a temp higher than that of boiling, 212F. Next time I'm gonna try to make a smaller batch and additionally decarb the abv just to see if that makes any difference (doubtful that it would be noticable given the overall brown color of the abv, but there are specks of green if I look hard enough)

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Water curing can take a lot of the crappy taste out. And since THC is not water soluble, you lose just the nasty taste. I put a quantity of ABV in a quart Mason jar: up to two ounces. Shake it and let sit. I change the water usually morning and night. I do not dump it out of the Mason jar: I place a small strainer on top of the jar and pour the water out. I let it sit a minute to drain, and refill. Do that for 7 to 10 days. You'll notice eventually the water is clear and most of the ABV falls to the bottom of the jar if left to settle. The wet ABV is practically odor-free. I then squeeze out the residual water (I bought a "china hat" strainer for $18 on Amazon: I find it really helps).

I dry the duff. I put it in a lasagna pan, and place it in the oven @ 200 with the oven door cracked open so that moisture escapes. I've lately been using what oil I have left to make a new batch. I also put the concentrate "reclaim" from cleaning my glass into the mix. I also add soy lecithin, as it is supposed to increase the potency. Me and my friends who have tried my cookies and brownies give it a "Thumbs Up".

If you are encapsulating the ABV, this might be a wasted step.

china hat strainer: http://www.amazon.com/8-Inch-Depth-Chinoise-Strainer-Stainless/dp/B000J3ZYCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417977692&sr=8-1&keywords=china hat strainer

Last edited:

wax

So I made the coconut oil and I got around 550 ml from about 60 grams. The muffin recipe I have calls for 1/3 cup. How could I dose out the 550 even into 2 separate batches or even one super batch ?

wax,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I just make something according to directions. For example, if a recipe calls for 1/2 cup, I'll put 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon (so its not too greasy). Then I experiment on myself. Let's say it's 24 cookies a batch. I'll eat a couple on an empty stomach. I have a very high tolerance: if I get off on two I tell people to try one first.

The process of trying an unknown to find out its strength is called "titration".

Last edited:
macbill,

grokit

well-worn member
It could also affect texture, shouldn't be that big of a deal though. Butter is more perishable, so the butter brownies may go bad faster after baking them. But that's why we have refrigerators.

wax

would keeping the oil in sunlight for a few hours everyday raise the potency

wax,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
would keeping the oil in sunlight for a few hours everyday raise the potency

I have not heard of it: my understanding, at least with fresh material, sunlight and oxygen are the great destroyers. In fact, I recall reading that should you make tincture (a different process), you should store in a dark dropper bottle. I think sunlight is a bad thing for cannabis oils and such. But I'm no scientist.

elvenflow

Its a great time of year for worlds easiest infused chocolate treat-just mix 2/3 chocolate with 1/3 infused coconut oil. Ischoklad.

Ischoklad
("Ice chocolate"; Eiskonfekt in
German) is a candy originating in Germany which is now popular in both Germany and Sweden, and it is a seasonal candy in Denmark and Sweden during Christmas. It is usually made using just chocolate (half to two thirds) and coconut oil (a third to a half).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ischoklad

The German company Eichetti. which makes delicious seasonal ice chocolate products, also has some unfortunate product name translations like "Kid Hits" and "Crack Snacks". Not the goal here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom