CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
This mates well with the nano. You can get this off DHGate online. I have the D022 it's 2 pieces. It works well too. This one I may get next.

D020-D bubbler glass water percolator smoking pipe two functions
Store-wide Discount11% OFF,8 days left!

US $16.11 - 29.49 / Piece
Discount Price:
US $18.1 -33.14 / Piece

APP-only US$ 15.93-29.16
  • 1 + US $29.49US $33.
d020-d-bubbler-glass-water-percolator-smoking.jpg

See larger image

rebis

wa3diu.jpg

So, my crafty started flashing yellow and red lights I had a read around and it isn't good. Regardless, I am now very much hype to get my nano a little earlier than planned. I did indeed go for maple, and I also ordered a gong. I wanted to thank you guys again for all your help. I'll be around after it arrives to share my experiences with you, and to eventually help some others :D

soulfulrebel.MC

Hi Rebis,
I'm in the UK too and can only say you made a very good choice. The amount you can vape and get full effects from is amazing. I played a game with myself when I got mine, how small an amount can I get a good cloud from. Great Fun !

I'm using a mercury step down transformer and it is the 50W rated one. I read in an earlier post something about 100w. However the guy I bought mine from ( he had two ) used this transformer for a over a year with it plugged in months on end. There is no audible hum from it in use . All I can say is it's not hype and you will be pleasantly surprised.

MuushuPork

What are some good glass pieces to use with the E-Nano? Prefer smaller, simpler ones with water filtration. How is the experience different as opposed to direct draw from the stem?

Haven't been in here for awhile but Ive been using the FC-710 with my nano for at least a year now. Its perfection. I haven't used anything else since.

Esoteric

Pot Head formerly Septon Sefton
Ive had my nano 1 year on the 9th of November too, Ive had about 3 days in that year where i didn't use it.

I used to smoke about an ounce a week with tobacco, thoroughly addicted. With the nano im down to about half ounce a month. I feel much healthier physically and mentally. I love this little thing and urge anyone who is thinking about making the switch to do it ASAP.

bengaltiger

Today I accidentally combusted around 4 times when I vaped at around 6.8. It tasted disgusting. How do I avoid accidentally combusting or charring the weed?

bengaltiger,

Gettinbetter

Today I accidentally combusted around 4 times when I vaped at around 6.8. It tasted disgusting. How do I avoid accidentally combusting or charring the weed?
Lower the temp dial a bit and try again. Inhale rate will affect it also so maybe try faster inhale. You could also be packing too much in the stem. Any or all of those should help.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I like to pop my screen out with a bamboo skewer. A wooden dowel or chopstick would work too. This is easier if the stem is a little warm, so I usually do it after I finish a chamber. Otherwise you can take a hit or two with an empty chamber to warm the stem.

I use a toothbrush and ISO to clean the screen. I have a dedicated green handled toothbrush I use for vape stuff.

Some people torch their screens. Whatever method you choose to clean it, make sure to thoroughly rinse the screen with water before reinserting it into the stem.

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I would combust at that temp on my Nano with some strains. I usually run at 5.8 to 6.0.......if I dial up past 6.5 it's risky every time......

weird. temps must run different, or something else is way different. I do usually go for a light and airy pack, I'd rather pack more times than have constricted airflow. But, I rarely combust, handful of times a year maybe. But usually only when it is set to 9 or above and the material is extra dry/fine/packed. 9 is not my usually, more like 8 or just under. But it occaisionally gets accidentally bumped up. AND there is that first extra hot hit after sitting for a while, that is prime for accidental combustion

rabblerouser,

Jimmer144

Sargeant REG
I think you can taste a noticeable difference when you begin to combust material, if you think its too hot, sometimes i think its better to just push your screen back a tad than to mess with the dial, takes less time and usually works quite well.

LazyVaper

OK, I've come full circle here... finally made it through literally every single post in this thread. (OK, technically I quickly skimmed through some stretches, but still.) So I thought I'd reply to my very first post, now that I have over two months' experience with this thing...

First a bit of background on my habits: typically, my wife and I only medicate on Fridays and Saturdays after the kids to go bed. Just a little something to unwind while we veg in front of the TV for a couple hours of adult time.

Perhaps it won't surprise anyone here, but we've since upped our consumption a bit. ;) Nothing crazy, maybe 3-5x per week in the evenings, but it's rarely only a "weekend thing" any more.

I think there is a bit of nuance to getting the best out of a log-style vape. Or at least for me, coming from a device like the Solo/Air, I fell into an "expectation trap", thinking the Nano might be like an Air++. But it's really kind of an apples/oranges thing. Sure they're both vapes, and even look somewhat similar, but the differences in the way you use them and the mechanism by which they work are not insignificant. Also, with our fairly low usage, it's really hard to appreciate the differences. It wasn't until I used the Air and the Nano on back-to-back nights that I became "enlightened".

In short, the lesson here: if you're a relatively infrequent user coming from a convenient portable (like the Air/Solo), understand that a log-style vape is a fairly different animal.

OK, now to the remorse part: in a nutshell, it's the (lack of) convenience compared to the Air.
Last annoyance would be the greater amount of "stuff" I have to haul in and out: the device itself, the cord, the pick, and even my stash, as I've been using smaller loads than I do with the Air. I usually have to reload once or twice. That means I also need a flashlight, since it's dark when we're hanging out and trying to watch TV...

Indeed I would still call the Air more convenient, and that likely goes for just about any portable. However, for me, the log-style vape is no longer inconvenient, just different. It's a combination of having a process I'm now used to, and also acquiring a decent little case for everything. With regards to whining about all the "stuff" I had to lug out of hiding and into my vaping spot (cables, pick, stems, stash, ABV bag, log itself...), I ran across this post in the Underdog thread. UD doesn't directly sell that case any more, but you can buy it direct from MCM Electronics, search for "EVA Case" if the link doesn't work. I went with part number 22-25670. It was $12 and a game-changer for me. I've seen lots of love for the Pelican-style hardshell cases, which are certainly nice. But I wanted something simple and cheap. This is perfect.

But, the downsides (for me): after the first hit, the taste seems to degrade quickly, turning into "burnt popcorn". Also, the vapor feels hotter and drier to me, so it's a little harsher on my throat.

This is definitely an issue of perspective and expectations. I was coming from the Arizer Air, which is a session-style vape. Meaning, it takes me a whole 10-minute session and multiple rips to get where I need to be. The Nano is closer to a "one hitter" style, where I only need maybe two or three rips to get where I want to be. The Nano's ability to extract the "magic" from the flowers is indeed leagues beyond the Arizer Air. The first hit or two from the Nano is indeed unparalleled in flavor. I don't think I'm a flavor chaser by any means, but it's hard not to appreciate just how tasty those initial hits are. Not that the Air has bad flavor, but it's kind of underwhelming after experiencing the Nano.

That said, the flavor does go downhill pretty quickly. However, I'm pretty sure I rip off a load beyond what most people would do. When I dump the load, I want it to be completely spent. So while after one to three tasty hits, the latter hits aren't that great. But steady improvements in my technique have gotten me away from pure nastiness. And as I said, I'm pretty sure most people would call it done before me.

Another cool thing I've noticed, and I believe this is a result of the dramatically more potent vapor coming out of the log: the effects are a bit delayed, but when it comes on, it's strong and quick. With the Air, since I was taking more, less potent hits, the effects kind of crept up slowly but steadily over the course of the 10-minute session. With the Nano, I take one or two hits, sit back and wait a minute or so... wait for it... BOOM, there it is!

The other [annoyance] is the cord itself... it's kind of klunky. My wife and I sit on the couch. I have the device plugged in near me, and the cord won't reach to her. So she either has to get up and come sit right next to me, or I have to unplug it and hand it to her. Not sure how long it will retain heat while unplugged. Of course I could get an extension cord, but that's one more klunky thing to haul around.

OK, this still bothers me. And I actually bought an Underdog, which uses 12 VDC and a dramatically smaller cable. And for me, it makes all the difference. Before I got the UD, I did put an extension cord on the Nano cable. This allowed me to pass the Nano to my wife. So the cord (dimmer and all) would pass over the couch arm, over me, then on to her. And every time I took the Nano off the table sitting next to me, that thick cord with the dimmer came along. I just couldn't get past it. I've mentioned this here (and elaborated in this thread), I'm pretty sure the Nano cord doesn't need to be as thick as it is. I envision a "modular" approach to the cables, where you get two cables (pick your lengths) and one dimmer. One cable goes from the wall to the dimmer, and the second cable goes from the dimmer to the Nano. 22 AWG cable I think is still overkill; multi-strand 24 AWG I think is ideal in terms of electrical requirements and is so much more ergonomic. Add a fuse to the dimmer that is rated slightly below the current capacity of the cable so that it will blow before cable thickness becomes an issue. I actually intend to make such a cable/dimmer myself, but now that I have the UD I'm not in a big hurry.

Anyway, cable issues aside, I'm finally fully on board with the log-style vapes! During my "whining" phase (initial posts), I had to force myself to use the Nano over the Air, because I didn't want to give up on it after spending the money. I also wanted to make my way through this entire thread, thinking I might pick up some more tips or ideas that would improve the experience for me. At any rate, for the last couple weeks or so, it's no longer a matter of forcing myself to keep with the log vape; it's my preference. I haven't felt the desire to use the Air in quite a while.

Here are some random tips that are most relevant to me. Most have been mentioned before, but it took me two months plus reading 700 posts to "get it", so a little more repetition can't hurt. Unless otherwise noted, these tips apply equally to both the Nano and the UD:
  • Let the device heat up for a good 20-30 minutes before use, if you want the best consistency. I think compared to the UD, the Nano can start producing vapor sooner. But to reach an "equilibrium" state, they both need a fairly long warm up time.
  • Many posts here have talked about the "standard" screen depth as measured by the notch on the E-Pick. I push my screen back an extra millimeter or two beyond that (i.e. move load a bit farther away from the heater). This is clearly a personal preference thing, but it seems like I have a tendency to over-roast or char otherwise.
  • I like a slowish, deliberate draw. I find this somewhat ironic, actually. With the Air I am forced to take a slow draw due to airflow restriction and the weaker heater. The Nano/UD have virtually no draw restriction, but I find the overall hits to be smoother, and the effects better when I take a deliberately slow draw with the log vapes. I don't know if it's the slow draw or if I've just gotten used to it, but going dry with a log vape used to irritate my throat a bit, but I don't have that any more.
  • Less is indeed more, in terms of product. I use what I assume is a medium grind (whatever comes out of the freebie PuffItUp grinder I have), and loosely fill about half way between the screen and end of stem. Then I lightly tamp it down with the blunt end of a chopstick.
  • Just to emphasize what I said above: if you're like me, and can't keep your stuff out in the open all the time (have to "hide" it when not in use), then getting some kind of box/container for everything is a game-changer in terms of convenience. It goes from being an annoying collection of stuff to shuffle around, to pretty damn convenient. You could go super cheap and use an old shoe box. But for $13, that MCM Electronics EVA case has adjustable compartments and is all but purpose-built for log-style vapes.
  • Keep those screens clean! I find that I can't really go by sight as to when I should clean the screens. That is, they still "look" fairly clean when they really need to be washed. I forgot who posted this (sorry), but I use a little rubbing alcohol with sea salt in a leak proof container. Drop the screens in the alcohol salt bath, shake a bit, rinse screens with water and they're good as new. Quick and easy!

Last edited:

rebis

Hi Rebis,
I'm in the UK too and can only say you made a very good choice. The amount you can vape and get full effects from is amazing. I played a game with myself when I got mine, how small an amount can I get a good cloud from. Great Fun !

I'm using a mercury step down transformer and it is the 50W rated one. I read in an earlier post something about 100w. However the guy I bought mine from ( he had two ) used this transformer for a over a year with it plugged in months on end. There is no audible hum from it in use . All I can say is it's not hype and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Yeh cheers. I am pretty excited to give it a try! I don't currently live in the UK, but that's where I'm from. I have an American buddy with a stepdown transformer for me. I might get one for when im in blighty.

One year now.. I think?

I'll be happy with such longevity! Where are these cats?

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
OK, I've come full circle here... finally made it through literally every single post in this thread. (OK, technically I quickly skimmed through some stretches, but still.) So I thought I'd reply to my very first post, now that I have over two months' experience with this thing...

Perhaps it won't surprise anyone here, but we've since upped our consumption a bit. ;) Nothing crazy, maybe 3-5x per week in the evenings, but it's rarely only a "weekend thing" any more.

I think there is a bit of nuance to getting the best out of a log-style vape. Or at least for me, coming from a device like the Solo/Air, I fell into an "expectation trap", thinking the Nano might be like an Air++. But it's really kind of an apples/oranges thing. Sure they're both vapes, and even look somewhat similar, but the differences in the way you use them and the mechanism by which they work are not insignificant. Also, with our fairly low usage, it's really hard to appreciate the differences. It wasn't until I used the Air and the Nano on back-to-back nights that I became "enlightened".

In short, the lesson here: if you're a relatively infrequent user coming from a convenient portable (like the Air/Solo), understand that a log-style vape is a fairly different animal.

Indeed I would still call the Air more convenient, and that likely goes for just about any portable. However, for me, the log-style vape is no longer inconvenient, just different. It's a combination of having a process I'm now used to, and also acquiring a decent little case for everything. With regards to whining about all the "stuff" I had to lug out of hiding and into my vaping spot (cables, pick, stems, stash, ABV bag, log itself...), I ran across this post in the Underdog thread. UD doesn't directly sell that case any more, but you can buy it direct from MCM Electronics, search for "EVA Case" if the link doesn't work. I went with part number 22-25670. It was $12 and a game-changer for me. I've seen lots of love for the Pelican-style hardshell cases, which are certainly nice. But I wanted something simple and cheap. This is perfect.

This is definitely an issue of perspective and expectations. I was coming from the Arizer Air, which is a session-style vape. Meaning, it takes me a whole 10-minute session and multiple rips to get where I need to be. The Nano is closer to a "one hitter" style, where I only need maybe two or three rips to get where I want to be. The Nano's ability to extract the "magic" from the flowers is indeed leagues beyond the Arizer Air. The first hit or two from the Nano is indeed unparalleled in flavor. I don't think I'm a flavor chaser by any means, but it's hard not to appreciate just how tasty those initial hits are. Not that the Air has bad flavor, but it's kind of underwhelming after experiencing the Nano.

That said, the flavor does go downhill pretty quickly. However, I'm pretty sure I rip off a load beyond what most people would do. When I dump the load, I want it to be completely spent. So while after one to three tasty hits, the latter hits aren't that great. But steady improvements in my technique have gotten me away from pure nastiness. And as I said, I'm pretty sure most people would call it done before me.

Another cool thing I've noticed, and I believe this is a result of the dramatically more potent vapor coming out of the log: the effects are a bit delayed, but when it comes on, it's strong and quick. With the Air, since I was taking more, less potent hits, the effects kind of crept up slowly but steadily over the course of the 10-minute session. With the Nano, I take one or two hits, sit back and wait a minute or so... wait for it... BOOM, there it is!

OK, this still bothers me. And I actually bought an Underdog, which uses 12 VDC and a dramatically smaller cable. And for me, it makes all the difference. Before I got the UD, I did put an extension cord on the Nano cable. This allowed me to pass the Nano to my wife. So the cord (dimmer and all) would pass over the couch arm, over me, then on to her. And every time I took the Nano off the table sitting next to me, that thick cord with the dimmer came along. I just couldn't get past it. I've mentioned this here (and elaborated in this thread), I'm pretty sure the Nano cord doesn't need to be as thick as it is. I envision a "modular" approach to the cables, where you get two cables (pick your lengths) and one dimmer. One cable goes from the wall to the dimmer, and the second cable goes from the dimmer to the Nano. 22 AWG cable I think is still overkill; multi-strand 24 AWG I think is ideal in terms of electrical requirements and is so much more ergonomic. Add a fuse to the dimmer that is rated slightly below the current capacity of the cable so that it will blow before cable thickness becomes an issue. I actually intend to make such a cable/dimmer myself, but now that I have the UD I'm not in a big hurry.

Anyway, cable issues aside, I'm finally fully on board with the log-style vapes! During my "whining" phase (initial posts), I had to force myself to use the Nano over the Air, because I didn't want to give up on it after spending the money. I also wanted to make my way through this entire thread, thinking I might pick up some more tips or ideas that would improve the experience for me. At any rate, for the last couple weeks or so, it's no longer a matter of forcing myself to keep with the log vape; it's my preference. I haven't felt the desire to use the Air in quite a while.

Here are some random tips that are most relevant to me. Most have been mentioned before, but it took me two months plus reading 700 posts to "get it", so a little more repetition can't hurt. Unless otherwise noted, these tips apply equally to both the Nano and the UD:
  • Let the device heat up for a good 20-30 minutes before use, if you want the best consistency. I think compared to the UD, the Nano can start producing vapor sooner. But to reach an "equilibrium" state, they both need a fairly long warm up time.
  • Many posts here have talked about the "standard" screen depth as measured by the notch on the E-Pick. I push my screen back an extra millimeter or two beyond that (i.e. move load a bit farther away from the heater). This is clearly a personal preference thing, but it seems like I have a tendency to over-roast or char otherwise.
  • I like a slowish, deliberate draw. I find this somewhat ironic, actually. With the Air I am forced to take a slow draw due to airflow restriction and the weaker heater. The Nano/UD have virtually no draw restriction, but I find the overall hits to be smoother, and the effects better when I take a deliberately slow draw with the log vapes. I don't know if it's the slow draw or if I've just gotten used to it, but going dry with a log vape used to irritate my throat a bit, but I don't have that any more.
  • Less is indeed more, in terms of product. I use what I assume is a medium grind (whatever comes out of the freebie PuffItUp grinder I have), and loosely fill about half way between the screen and end of stem. Then I lightly tamp it down with the blunt end of a chopstick.
  • Just to emphasize what I said above: if you're like me, and can't keep your stuff out in the open all the time (have to "hide" it when not in use), then getting some kind of box/container for everything is a game-changer in terms of convenience. It goes from being an annoying collection of stuff to shuffle around, to pretty damn convenient. You could go super cheap and use an old shoe box. But for $13, that MCM Electronics EVA case has adjustable compartments and is all but purpose-built for log-style vapes.
  • Keep those screens clean! I find that I can't really go by sight as to when I should clean the screens. That is, they still "look" fairly clean when they really need to be washed. I forgot who posted this (sorry), but I use a little rubbing alcohol with sea salt in a leak proof container. Drop the screens in the alcohol salt bath, shake a bit, rinse screens with water and they're good as new. Quick and easy!

Great post!! Thanks for the follow up, and glad to hear you hung in there with the logs until it all came to you. Kudos!

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

Excellent perspectives, and well-outlined! Thank you!

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker

yeah, I take the premium thick rich delicious hits and anything past that is saved to make killer edibles. My take is that you get like 80-85% out in those first 3-4 hits usually (I pack 'somewhat' lightly). If i keep vaping it's less enjoyable and then the ABV is useless to me. I'd much rather get the most delicious and potent hits and save residuals that are strong enough to be worth turning into edibles.

On the off-chance there is a famine situation you can always re-vape the ABV, at that point.

Top Bottom