nihil

Member, Known Well
@bengaltiger Can you post an image of your stem when it is loaded? Can you do Facetime or Skype? I'm getting frustrated because we seem to be missing something obvious. Grrr. I hate to suggest this, but does the heater burn your finger when you touch it? Do you have access to an IR gun?

I'll be back in a hour, but a picture would really help us all see what you are doing.

bengaltiger

I definitely feel the heat when I draw (and feel hot air when I draw), and I sometimes get vapor so I don't think the heating element is the issue. I don't have access to a webcam.

I still have the tube, but I only have 70% isopropyl, I'll still let it sit in there, though.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I see. I still feel like I'm only getting one or no hits from it, and I moved the screen a bit closer. I really hope I can figure this out and don't have to return it. The dial is a bit over 7.5, and I'm not really getting visible hits. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

EDIT: I'm not really getting draw resistance, so I don't think the stem is clogged.
I wish you lived close by.

It's the easiest vape I own?

It a hand grinder kind of course!
Two Piece is OK (just grind what you need for the day)
My NANO is 6.5 24/7 some lower and some higher depending on cure of the strain.
I can't smoke JOINTS after being spoiled by my NANO.

My ISO is 97%

nihil

Member, Known Well
@bengaltiger Do you still have material that you didn't grind? If so, break up some as best you can with your fingers or scissors and try to vape that. I'm really thinking your grind is too fine at this point.

nihil,
Reactions: ataxian

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
There's videos on YouTube that show a tutorial because I have checked. Do a search. I know some FCers have done a video. Maybe someone could chime in.

Edit
Usually the stems come with the screens in the correct height that matches the depth with the e-pic. That has been the case with the four stems that I have checked. The screens are very easy to adjust with a pencil or chop stick.

I like the nano because there arent a lot of little parts to lose. An all glass air path is the way to go for really great flavor.

Last edited:

nihil

Member, Known Well
To follow up on @CarolKing, here is Vapecritics review:

Notice he "heat soaks" between hits, i.e. he leaves the stem in when he sets it down. Please try this @bengaltiger.

I am still trying to find @Caligula's 2-Hit Extraction video.

Lastly, per another thread and way off topic, if you ever find Blue Cheese by High Wind Farms @CarolKing, pick some up. Best indica I've ever had. They are located out of Mt. Hood, so I'm not sure if their product reaches your state.

EDIT: 70% IPA is fine and is what is available in most stores, it's just watered down. The scientist in me prefers 99% and it is easily found on Amazon.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
2 hit extraction

What i do is pull little (as in shredding) pieces off a bud and put in the stem and tamp ever so lightly and let it heat sink for a few on the heater and works great for me.
That video is so cool.
I load so much into my GonG's.
6 rips per session. 3 stir 3 more = standard
I'm 2 x the age as MR. IRON LUNG'S (HIPPY I AM)

GDP taste so amazing!

NANO NANO = CIVILIZED

bengaltiger

Now I have the opposite problem: a lot of vapor, but black ABV! I'll try lowering the heat, but at least I got some effects.

EDIT: I think I'm getting it now! Just got 2 milky hits from some more ma terial, maybe there's more to go! I think I'll be blazed in short order :). I'll let you know if there are any more problems! I turned down the temp so the abv isn't so black! I'm also doing a coarser grind! I'm high as hell!

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Now I have the opposite problem: a lot of vapor, but black ABV! I'll try lowering the heat, but at least I got some effects.

EDIT: I think I'm getting it now! Just got 2 milky hits from some more ma terial, maybe there's more to go! I think I'll be blazed in short order :). I'll let you know if there are any more problems! I turned down the temp so the abv isn't so black!
Now you're cooking! Once you're getting vapor and extracting well it's easy to dial it back.

My suggestion is only change one thing at a time. It will make it easier to figure out how each change affects the performance.

For instance, don't lower your temp and change the screen height at the same time. Lower the temp and see how that affects performance, then later on play with screen height separately.

Try to keep every aspect; the load size, grind consistency, draw speed, temp setting, screen distance, etc. the same and only change one thing at a time.

Once you get familiar with how each change affects performance you can go wild. I can seamlessly switch from session mode to two-hit extraction and back again in a couple of minutes. Then I can use it with my bubbler. Maybe finish with some concentrates in the dry stem, so tasty! :drool::love:

The nano is very consistent. Once you dial in a technique it should work every time.

It is a manual vape, so it takes a bit more technique than something automatic. The flip side to this is that you have the ability to customize it to fit your needs. You are not stuck vaping the way that is best for your vaporizer.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
:drool::love:

The nano is very consistent. Once you dial in a technique it should work every time.

It is a manual vape, so it takes a bit more technique than something automatic. The flip side to this is that you have the ability to customize it to fit your needs. You are not stuck vaping the way that is best for your vaporizer.

I love the comment made by @Vapor_Eyes !

The same grind! (med to course)
6.5 dial start.

GDP = 6.0
PEOPLE = 6.5
GSC = 7.0
SOUR DIESEL = 6.30

I have others however basically it depends on the cure. (wet > DRY)

Not much to do really.

Water rig's can add more thinking to the mix.
UFO + ASH CATHER + OGB's MOUTH-PIECE = High Volume
D-022 by it's self = LOGS like the NANO

Play with your rig's and find your sweet spot!

NANO + PEOPLES STRAIN + 18mm GonG + UFO CONFIGURATION + 6.5 on the DIAL =

CIVILIZED + SELF INDUCED COMA = MAX FLIGHT

Heat

I keep mine plugged in with the temp just above 6. I keep the depth of the adjustable screen in the Gong just below the normal Epick depth. I live in the desert so my material is always pretty dry. I grind or toss in chunks, either way it works but the chunk needs to be broken up after a hit or two to get the most out of it. I have a habit of stirring after each hit. I probably get 10 hits or so per load before it is too whispy. For maintenance a hard blow of air through the Gong and screen just after the session while everything is hot takes care of any accumulation on the screen. If you let it cool it gets gummy. Good Luck getting the hang of it. Tons of great, friendly advice here!

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
For maintenance a hard blow of air through the Gong and screen just after the session while everything is hot takes care of any accumulation on the screen. If you let it cool it gets gummy.
This is great advice. I do this every session. I like to scrape the screen with the e-pick vigorously before I blow it out.

Once I started doing this I could go much longer between screen cleanings. To check my screen I like to hold the stem up to a light, with the bowl pointed toward the light and me looking down the stem through the mouthpiece. I find the edges will slowly build up a ring of residue until there is only a small orb of light coming through in the center. I try to clean it when the ring reaches 1 or 2mm in thickness.

I usually just pop the screen out with a bamboo skewer, you can get 100 of them for a dollar or two at the grocery store. Then I scrub the screen with iso and a toothbrush (a dedicated vape brush, I don't use it on my teeth). Give it a quick rinse and it's back in the nano.

The whole process takes less than a minute, maybe even 30 seconds. The screens may get a little misshapen but you can readjust them. They will last a long time before needing replacement if you take care of them.

A lot of people torch their screens but I heard that weakens the metal over time. I find the toothbrush and iso method works just fine, and I don't have to smell burning reclaim.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I definitely feel the heat when I draw (and feel hot air when I draw), and I sometimes get vapor so I don't think the heating element is the issue. I don't have access to a webcam.

I still have the tube, but I only have 70% isopropyl, I'll still let it sit in there, though.

Couple of quick things while I'm passing through...

First, a screen can look pretty clean and still not be doing too well. Every one of those strands on the screen is picking up a little honey on every hit. So, even though it looks OK, you could have drastically reduced airflow. Yeah... I still look at my screens and think I can tell whether they need to be cleaned or not, but not really the best method. If you have a little time, empty the load and turn heat way up - north of 9, even to 10. Give nano 5 minutes or so to get to that high temp. Take a few hits with an "empty" load. This should vape any wand hash right off the screen. Hit until you get no vapor. Blow your stem out to get rid of any remnants, and turn your nano back down to normal temp. Give it 5 - 10 minutes for temp to stabilize.

Second, don't want to harsh on your stash but you said your material was very dry, and you can't just roll up to the corner to grab more (SUCKS not being in a legal or med state, doesn't it?) If your material is old and dried out, or weak to start with and has been sitting outside an airtight container for long - this is going to create problems. Look at it through a decent magnifying glass, jeweler's loop or magnifier (I like 30x myself). You see those little gooey droplets all over everything? Are they dry and crinkled? Yellow/gold? Not there at all? All not good!! Depending on how good or bad they are you may be able to squeeze some vapor out of them. If they are clear, or just a little milky or even yellowish, and look like a little stem with globe on top standing up straight and all filled with gooey liquid you're in good shape. I'm not going to suggest you combust if they're not too healthy, that's on you. But, don't give up on the nano - or vaping in general - until you have a chance to put something through it that is at least decent. Unfortunately, this is a much bigger deal with vaping than with smoking.

Hope this helps and that things continue to get better for you!! nano on!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
@bengaltiger :clap::rockon::cheers:

Great to hear man. Let's us know in a few days what you think of the nano. @Vapor_Eyes & @flotntoke have great follow up advice, memorize what they wrote above.

Did you have an "aha!" moment? Was it the grind, the screen depth or the temperature?
m0pisyT.jpg

@bengaltiger in your honor!

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@bengaltiger it looks like the planets are all in alignment finally, you got some awesome draws. I don't like too tight of a draw. Keeping the screen clean is a must.

I usually put my stems along with the screen intact in the iOS and soak in a cylinder container for a couple days. I then take it out and rinse with very hot water and give it a shake to dry. Then its good to go. I do it the lazy way but it works for me.

Finding the right screen height, grind and temp sometimes is all that it takes.

Sandwiching some shatter in between some Candyland strain tonight with my nano. Getting some great flavor. No Bill Maher for a month he's on vacation. Friday's just aren't the same.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Yeah... I still look at my screens and think I can tell whether they need to be cleaned or not, but not really the best method.
I respectfully disagree. You are correct when looking at the screen under normal conditions. However, if you try to look "down the barrel" with the stem between your head and a light source, "eclipse" style, you can clearly see residue building up. I think this is a valuable tip that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

As usual, the rest of your post is spot-on. You have always given great advice! :D :tup:

I recently did your clear nail polish mod for the temp dial. The numbers were wearing off on my temp dial, so I bought a new one and coated the top of the dial on both with 3 coats of clear nail polish. Probably overkill, I know.

Now I have a pristine dial and a backup cord/cord for a second location. Thanks for the tip!

I also got the new silicone sleeve guards in the order, and they are sweet. They have a more finished look then the old hand cut sleeves. I like they way they feel too, very comfortable.

It took me a while to discover an unexpected benefit. You can place them on a flat surface and your stem won't roll around.

greenextinguisher

My little guy came today! Sweet action on the free 2-day shipping. FCLOVE

I switched to a crotch walnut and it is GORGEOUS! Nothing could prepare me for the size of this thing. It is really tiny. Mine has its light positioned inside the chamber on the bottom plate which the heater rises out of rather than embedded into the side of the wood. Where I was expecting the light on the outside is a very cool knot in its place. I'm not sure how common this configuration is, but I dig it.

I'm starting off with a little aromatherapy duty using @Reflections suggestion of some beeswax in with the oil. Later when I'm done with my chores for the day, I'll take it for a spin. Can't wait.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Mine has its light positioned inside the chamber on the bottom plate which the heater rises out of rather than embedded into the side of the wood. Where I was expecting the light on the outside is a very cool knot in its place. I'm not sure how common this configuration is, but I dig it.
That sounds really cool. Pics please!:)

Vapor_Eyes,
Top Bottom