Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
GREAT POST
Strain has some effect on clouds, but IMO not the most. Dryness of material, grind/looseness of pack and more than anything material quality are the biggest factors outside of the nano (screen distance, temp setting, bubbler, etc).

By material quality I mean how much there is in it to vape. You can get a crappy GSC (or other great strain) that has been poorly grown, harvested or cured that will leave you wanting. Or, you can get some local whatever genetics of outdoor mids that will blow your socks off. I love the rare chances where I can choose my strain, but the quality of the material seems much more important for the best vaping experience - be that with a nano or any other vape IME. nano seems to be one of the best at getting the most from your material, but garbage in = garbage out - same as with pretty much anything else. Guess what I'm saying is that the nano will do all it can with what you feed it, but it isn't going to make crappy material better - no matter what strain it is.

It's not hard to get caught up in what strain vapes best or produces the biggest clouds, but be sure to look at your different batches with at least a jewelers loop to check on the condition, size and number of resin heads and consider how moist your material is before grinding.

Also worth noting that more moist material will almost always produce thicker clouds (more moisture to evaporate out), but wispier clouds often give better flavor and effects with the same number of hits. I prefer mine a bit drier, larger clouds or not. More water vapor is less effective vapor of the type we're looking for in the same sized hit. Easiest analogy is probably to mixed drinks. If you have a double, you'll get twice as much of the alcohol in every sip. But, you'll drink more to get to the same place if your drinks only have a single shot. The double will also give you more flavor of the alcohol because it is less diluted. Moister material will give you bigger clouds, but the added water vapor isn't going to do much for you - same as the tonic in a gin and tonic. I like gin, and enjoy the flavor, but not so much that I'm drinking it straight or even usually making doubles.

Vaping is a bit different for me. I LOVE the flavor of most strains and am usually looking to vape and keep the flavor and effects as unadulterated as possible. There is at least one discussion here on FC (actually a few I think) where some think they get better effects from moister material (and associated larger clouds from water vapor). I've played with it here and there and haven't been able to say the same. The added moisture may be allowing for better lung absorption - at least for some. But, I haven't had any luck with it.

Not saying at all that some strains aren't better than others, or different ones don't have different effects. They certainly do! And, IME a nano will provide very good comparisons. Only saying that there is much more to cloud production than strain differences, and IME it is probably one of the lesser contributing factors.

At the same time, strains do seem to prefer slightly different temps or techniques to get the most out of them quickly. The same is true for different quality. So, to get the most out of your stash always a good idea (and fun) to tweak things a bit either way to see if you can get even more out of whatever you happen to be vaping. Sometimes those "oh shiiiittt -BINGO!" hits just fall into your lap. Sometimes you have to look for a material's individual sweet spots. But, if your material quality is decent they're in there. You just may have to coax them out.

Or, as always with the nano, you can just throw some in and hit it at whatever temp works for you most of the time. You'll get vapor and it is sure to have some taste and effects even if barely functioning (or functioning a bit too well - like with heater screen contact). But I like to squeeze out all the flavor and effects I can, and the simple versatility of the nano allows me to do that easily.
Thank You!

@ataxian In NYC area, it's getting better and cheaper as well

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Sour D I had once years ago with a water pipe and a BIC!
Wasn't as enjoyable as a NANO on 6.5!

@flotntoke I just got a ZIP of GSC that is the best tasting most effective GSC I have ever had!

I changed dispensaries.
Growing is easy where I live however it keeps getting cheaper and cheaper!
Basically it's not worth growing yourself.
When CANNABIS is legal federally the quality will increase.

Plus it will be as affordable as beer!
The NANO could provide the perfect QA check!
I have only owned an E-Nano for three days and it's already becoming the perfect QA check! From now on I'm only buying one gram of each strain I have a choice of, then I'll run it through the nano to see how good it is. The nano really brings out the different qualities of each strain and how well it was grown and cured.

@ataxian
What is your favorite water path as far as flavor is concerned? I need a water tool to save my throat but I don't want to sacrifice too much flavor in the process. I understand you have quite the collection.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
What is your favorite water path as far as flavor is concerned? I need a water tool to save my throat but I don't want to sacrifice too much flavor in the process. I understand you have quite the collection.

I am also looking for a water tool. I already have a larger pipe but wanted something more..... compact. To use and put away easily. Anyone ever try this thing? Looks pretty cool and I don't know if there are others like it. I believe it's called the Pinnacle Water tool:

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I have only owned an E-Nano for three days and it's already becoming the perfect QA check! From now on I'm only buying one gram of each strain I have a choice of, then I'll run it through the nano to see how good it is. The nano really brings out the different qualities of each strain and how well it was grown and cured.

@ataxian
I'm very flattered that you even consider what I think?

I have a lot of glass for certain!
Too much maybe?

There are some I like alot and others I never use. There not bad I just have too many. Basically I have more than one needs.

To be honest I only use a few.
I had one piece made by a local glass blower I used once 3 years ago and loved it! I hope to get a vaporizer too handle it?
I used it once with the NANO and it worked.

I have a few pieces from Asia as well.

Do what works for you!
I have a medical condition so it's kind of serious for me actually. I wish it was pure enjoyment instead.

My problem is I quit CANNABIS for 3 decades and was a corporate monkey!

When I got sick the meds made me worse? I got my cannabis license and eliminated most of the drugs. Cannabis does not give me any side effects and helps me read!

I keep about 2 onces at a time.

The NANO is easy for me to use.

I can't smoke joints like when I lived in HAWAII.

Where was I?
O'yah I use a D022 with a modified perk however it works without modification.
Sometimes I use a FC-UFO, FC-186, FC-187, JHOOKS attached to ASH COLLECTORS and bubblers I forgot what their called?

@CarolKing likes the D020-D.

I had tried a PNWT but did not work for me?

Last edited:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I am also looking for a water tool. I already have a larger pipe but wanted something more..... compact. To use and put away easily. Anyone ever try this thing? Looks pretty cool and I don't know if there are others like it. I believe it's called the Pinnacle Water tool:

Yea thats the PNWT. You can also buy knockoffs from DHgate for around $17 shipped. I have two of them for road trips. They're not bad for portable use, but I don't know if I'd use one for every-day use. They splashback on your lips too much, and they are prone to "leaking" water out the bottom and into the oven/heater of the vape.

Additionally I personally don't like to use my nano in the upright position, I don't like ABV falling through the bottom screen and into the heater chamber

BabyFacedFinster

Yea thats the PNWT. You can also buy knockoffs from DHgate for around $17 shipped. I have two of them for road trips. They're not bad for portable use, but I don't know if I'd use one for every-day use. They splashback on your lips too much, and they are prone to "leaking" water out the bottom and into the oven/heater of the vape.

Additionally I personally don't like to use my nano in the upright position, I don't like ABV falling through the bottom screen and into the heater chamber

Thanks Ratchett and Ataxian, I'll steer clear of that headache. I really like my 10 inch waffle perc (I think I said it was 12 in, but it's 10in). It's just a lot to keep filling it up then pouring out the water, wrapping it up and putting it away each night. I just can't leave it lying around.

I want to like the straight stem, but it's been harsh on the throat.

Just to add, I lowered the screen on the gong about 2mm beyond the "factory setting" to give me a little more clearance. That added enough to give me a more robust rip. It seemed I was barely covering the screen with herb on the default setting. Me like better :nod:

Last edited:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
@BabyFacedFinster I've noticed a lot of Nano fans have the Sherlock "J" Hook that they use with this unit. Are they the same or two different pieces? I don't have one but I've been thinking of getting one. Maybe someone can chime in and address if it smooths out the vapor taste eliminating any harshness. There isn't any water involved with using that glass.

Also I'm curious do you buy the Sherlock glass piece through DHgate?

I have some Platinum Blackberry tonight in my nano - yummmmm pretty tasty.:)

Last edited:

zaphod42

Thanks Ratchett and Ataxian, I'll steer clear of that headache. I really like my 10 inch waffle perc (I think I said it was 12 in, but it's 10in). It's just a lot to keep filling it up then pouring out the water, wrapping it up and putting it away each night. I just can't leave it lying around.

I want to like the straight stem, but it's been harsh on the throat.

Just to add, I lowered the screen on the gong about 2mm beyond the "factory setting" to give me a little more clearance. That added enough to give me a more robust rip. It seemed I was barely covering the screen with herb on the default setting. Me like better :nod:

Maybe try a j-hook (a cheap one should do) or a steamroller from joda glass?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
You are all correct in that a really good vape should FIT YOU instead of the other way around. I've been playing around with just about everything but water tools (not just with my nano, but several vapes). I learned a lot from the generous FC members willing to selflessly share their information. I found the eNano to work in a variety of set ups. My latest was the really fine grind. First I ground with a med-tainer (kind of shreds), then dried it out pretty good and reground in an S&B grinder - I got a real fine grind from the dried material. I used a little scoop and stir tool (maybe .05) to load / tamp slightly, kept temp about a full dial number lower (just under 6 vs just under 7) at this grind, and BLAST OFF. Lots and lots of powerful hits without going past 6 in the dial. Thank God the nano is corded, or I'd never put it down. My first hit was at 7, I coughed for 10 minutes.

BabyFacedFinster

@BabyFacedFinster I've noticed a lot of Nano fans have the Sherlock "J" Hook that they use with this unit. Are they the same or two different pieces? I don't have one but I've been thinking of getting one. Maybe someone can chime in and address if it smooths out the vapor taste eliminating any harshness. There isn't any water involved with using that glass.

Also I'm curious do you buy the Sherlock glass piece through DHgate?

I have some Platinum Blackberry tonight in my nano - yummmmm pretty tasty.:)

I do have a 14mm J hook that I picked up from the Lotus website. It's a grav labs for like $15. I'll give it a try. It works well with the Lotus.

hweezi

formally cwheezy
J-hooks are surprisingly smooth with the nano, you'd think without the water filtration it just be a really hot and dry hit but it's just the opposite.

Also I was currious if anyone here uses their nano with either the GB-186, or FC-1000 and how do you like it ? I'm looking to get something a little taller so I don't have to hunch over my desk so badly.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
J-hooks are surprisingly smooth with the nano, you'd think without the water filtration it just be a really hot and dry hit but it's just the opposite.

Also I was currious if anyone here uses their nano with either the GB-186, or FC-1000 and how do you like it ? I'm looking to get something a little taller so I don't have to hunch over my desk so badly.
Think in this way:

Small can = portable
Medium can = LOG
Large can = Combustion

J HOOKS (sherlock's) I buy 5 at a time for less than $25 including deliver.

I have a FC186 similar to a GB186 that works with a NANO.
Others my like the GB better? I didn't have any problems with the FC products!

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Some of y'all are either crazy or our temperatures are just way off. Early morning seshes, 5.5 is amazing for me. Long heat soak, increasing draw speed as I hit makes for an almost disappearing downstem even at 5.5. Now when I'm really tryna get hit, 6.25 is perfect for most strains. I rarely EVER hit 7, and can combust on 7.5. I don't know how some of you guys are constantly on 7+ and don't feel like your first hit tastes like a burnt fruit/skunk. Then again...my strains aren't perfect. I don't have crystals rollin off or sticking to my fingers on a regular basis. I get regular ol' (but still good) street bud. Maybe that's the difference. But I swear...my 6.25 milk is thicker than my 7.

CarolKing

Some of y'all are either crazy or our temperatures are just way off. Early morning seshes, 5.5 is amazing for me. Long heat soak, increasing draw speed as I hit makes for an almost disappearing downstem even at 5.5. Now when I'm really tryna get hit, 6.25 is perfect for most strains. I rarely EVER hit 7, and can combust on 7.5. I don't know how some of you guys are constantly on 7+ and don't feel like your first hit tastes like a burnt fruit/skunk. Then again...my strains aren't perfect. I don't have crystals rollin off or sticking to my fingers on a regular basis. I get regular ol' (but still good) street bud. Maybe that's the difference. But I swear...my 6.25 milk is thicker than my 7.
I'm not sure if you can combust at temp 7.5? You can really char your cannabis if it's too hot. It sounds like some of the units do run hotter than other units. I've accidentally bumped my temp dial and realized I taste burnt herb. I will check and I have it on like heat setting 8. I would like to ask @ACE OF VAPE if that is possible. It's talked about occasionally in this thread. If you combust you get fire.:worms: Am I right? I've never seen any fire.

Edit
Distance from the heater core matters, also dryness of your product, but combustion?:hmm:

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Folks also have different beliefs in what combustion means. This has been argued on the Lotus thread over and over (maybe here too). Some people call it combustion if your herb is charred or blackened. Others (including myself) believe combustion is smoke, grey ash, soot, ect. If my herb gets a black spot from overheating I don't call that combustion, but it's still going too far.
I haven't combusted with my e-nano and hope I never will. I have combusted several times with the Lotus and it is a pain in the ass, with smoke billowing out the air ports in the cap and the need to scrub everything out. This is one big reason that I got the nano, so I can have a more consistent heat and extraction and not char because my hand jerked on the torch.

I also have a mason jar with ABV that has some charred stuff in it. I am concerned about using it because of the foul taste it may impart. Perhaps I should discard it and start over with just browned and toasted ABV and throw away the blackened duff when that occurs.

CarolKing

Folks also have different beliefs in what combustion means. This has been argued on the Lotus thread over and over (maybe here too). Some people call it combustion if your herb is charred or blackened. Others (including myself) believe combustion is smoke, grey ash, soot, ect. If my herb gets a black spot from overheating I don't call that combustion, but it's still going too far.
I haven't combusted with my e-nano and hope I never will. I have combusted several times with the Lotus and it is a pain in the ass, with smoke billowing out the air ports in the cap and the need to scrub everything out. This is one big reason that I got the nano, so I can have a more consistent heat and extraction and not char because my hand jerked on the torch.

I also have a mason jar with ABV that has some charred stuff in it. I am concerned about using it because of the foul taste it may impart. Perhaps I should discard it and start over with just browned and toasted ABV and throw away the blackened duff when that occurs.
My definition of combustion is like your post. It's with ash and a lot of smoke and having to clean everything from blackened soot. Charring isn't combusting. We all char our herb every now and then.

phooka

1380366_125855167585220_556949468_n.jpg

@cwheezy Crystal Fog grid inline perc with honeycomb. Made in USA.

I accidentally hit my nano on 10 a couple days ago and got me a bong rip lol whoops I don't turn to 10 to preheat anymore, I just wait patiently >_<

At 7 I get slight charring. 6.5 is best for me

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
If you combust you get fire.:worms: Am I right? I've never seen any fire.
Definitely don't need to necessarily see fire for "combustion." It can be a pretty quick process of igniting and going out almost instantly. Plus your piece will reek of smoke and not vape. It's a pretty rancid smell when you're used to vaping. I've definitely combusted at 7.5 and know that it is possible. (dry herb can definitely make it happen)

hweezi

formally cwheezy
1380366_125855167585220_556949468_n.jpg

@cwheezy Crystal Fog grid inline perc with honeycomb. Made in USA.

I accidentally hit my nano on 10 a couple days ago and got me a bong rip lol whoops I don't turn to 10 to preheat anymore, I just wait patiently >_<

At 7 I get slight charring. 6.5 is best for me

I like the style of that can, but what would that run me? Kinda why I tend to stick with DHGATE because that way if they break I'm not that heartbroken.

sorry this is so off topic.

Last edited:

Pjake

It's all in the reflexes.
Definitely don't need to necessarily see fire for "combustion." It can be a pretty quick process of igniting and going out almost instantly. Plus your piece will reek of smoke and not vape. It's a pretty rancid smell when you're used to vaping. I've definitely combusted at 7.5 and know that it is possible. (dry herb can definitely make it happen)
I accidently combusted with my nano once. There's no mistaking that funky taste.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Numbers don't mean a thing when comparing to other people. There are so many other variables like bud quality, cure, pack, distance from heater, draw speed etc.

As ataxian says, vaporizers are just heaters. CANNABIS is the HOLY GRAIL
Holy GRAIL = CANNABIS COLAS

6.0 most of my strains and their very top shelf.

If they require 7.0 then their not ready to consume.

Don't go by me as I know nothing!

6.3 is normal in my case?

My latest GSC'S=6.3
Electric Bannana=6.0
Insane President=6.0
Jolly OG=6.0
GDP=6.5
Icey OG=6.1

I have a lot of others that are around 6.0!

60 grams of mixed strains at the moment and harvest is only 4 weeks away!

Vaporizer's are just heaters!

Last edited:
Top Bottom