e-cig (propelyne glycol propylene glycol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra505

Defined
I can't believe I'm asking this but hear goes. Anyone have a line on a e-cig slender something I can refill. Might want to experiment putting vegetable glycerin and or propylene glycol based tinctures in them, thanks in advance. Theres some guys over in a forum in 420 doing it.

cobra505,

herbivore21

Propylene Glycol for anyone wondering

Propylene Glycol

Affected Organ Systems: Dermal (Skin), Renal (Urinary System or Kidneys), Respiratory System
Cancer Classification: None
Chemical Classification: None

Summary: Propylene glycol is a synthetic liquid substance that absorbs water. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Other names for propylene glycol are 1,2-dihydroxypropane, 1,2-propanediol, methyl glycol, and trimethyl glycol. Propylene glycol is clear, colorless, slightly syrupy liquid at room temperature. It may exist in air in the vapor form, although propylene glycol must be heated or briskly shaken to produce a vapor. Propylene glycol is practically odorless and tasteless.

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 4770 Buford Hwy NE, Atlanta, GA 30341
Contact CDC: 800-232-4636 / TTY: 888-232-6348

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240
Propylene glycol has also been discovered to be a precursor to propylene oxide, which is reliably produced by ecig carts filled with PG when used alone, or various mixtures of PG with nicotine and flavors - regardless of variable voltage in the single and dual coil carts tested. The dual coil carts produced less of this probable carcinogen, but still produced it nonetheless. Higher voltage and single coil atomizers produced the highest ratios of propylene oxide in the vapor.

Vegetable glycerin also leads to decomposition/polymerization producing glycidol - another probable carcinogen. As mentioned above, PG will have lots of relevant applications in other areas of medicine (topicals, various other applications, maybe even edibles but these applications do not carry the concerns that emerge in vaporization through ecigs as described above).

If you choose to use this kind of product, that's up to you of course but I am leaving this hear for the health concerned. I do not recommend any use of VG/PG for the above reasons.

Last edited:
herbivore21,
Reactions: steama

cobra505

Defined
gentleman, you got very medical/technical on me. Very much appreciated. So then your recommendation would be for this purpose if any?

cobra505,

herbivore21

gentleman, you got very medical/technical on me. Very much appreciated. So then your recommendation would be for this purpose if any?
As I stated above, I do not recommend that use of VG/PG for cannabis consumption in ecigs at all. It is unnecessarily unsafe. I can't recommend any such product or anything for that purpose as a result.

Straight cannabis distillates are likely to be safest bet to use in ecig carts, but that requires an organic lab and some proper chem know-how for DIY and I would not be walking anybody through that kind of thing online.

herbivore21,
Reactions: steama
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom