stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Just looking at my sandblasted M - I cannot imagine any particles flying off from it. No. Not at all.

Corundum ( a type of alumina ) or glass beads were most probably used for the sandblasting of the M.
Probably the latter,as corundum tends to remove lots of material and gives a more rough finish.
While glass beads ,as finer grit and softer material,give that awesome matt gray finish.

The particles of both sandblasting media will not stick /bond/adhere to SS316L.

With aluminium and titanium that could have been an issue (due to their galling when under friction ),
but is not an issue with most steels .

Futrthermore ,even if it was an issue the amount of sandblasting media particles ,
that could be possibly inhaled ,has almost null health impact and poses no health risk.

Cheers.

stark1

Lonesome Planet
So, it ain't Colorado--just plain old New Englandy--in October :D

V42TETB.jpg

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Yes,lately I've been experimenting with corundum and titanium to achieve new surface textures .
G-A-L-L-I-N-G !
But ain't always a bad thing .
;)
Cheers.
:peace:
Titanium is so sticky isn't it? Machining the stuff is not fun at all.

My first machining project was a brass and titanium shifter knob for my car. I probably should have tried something easier. I can only imagine the headaches George has gone through with the material.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Titanium is so sticky isn't it? Machining the stuff is not fun at all.

My first machining project was a brass and titanium shifter knob for my car. I probably should have tried something easier. I can only imagine the headaches George has gone through with the material.
Not so sticky like some pure aluminium alloys ( i.e 1060 or 1050 ) but for sure it's "sticky" ,yes.

Apart from that,it's kind dangerous to machine at high speeds without lubrication.
It can combust into flames .

Yes,it's a whole new experience working with that metal.
In so many aspects.
I've prepared a vid showing the Anodic Spark Deposition on Titanium.
Or in other words " how to create plasma sparks inside a glass of water ! "
But something's wrong with my web provider or the line and it takes forever to upload the ~1,5 Giga vid
on Youtube.Have to try again in couple of days later, I was told from a technician.

TheResistance

First thought I have is that threads can easily gets jammed up tight: add heat, and The World's Stickiest Goo, and you might as well WELD the thing in place. I believe people would find it to be a poor choice overall.

The o-rings aren't that delicate, after initial fiddling, I only take them apart to clean, and that rarely. There's no reason the press-fit tip should be fragile or problematic for a person of general competence (or am I being ableist?).

That said, I suspect you could hire George to design and craft a one-off for you if you think it'll be all that.

Hi, hope I don't sound unfriendly, it's just late and I don't sleep much anymore.

Yep you make some good points, I guess if you'd heat it up then it would be easier to unscrew. But I'm sure george thought of this and has good reason I just wanted to bring it up to understand better. And nope you don't sound unfriendly just straight forward!

TheResistance

I've had the same question and then I've asked George from Dynavap about it .
Here his responce " The tips are held in place with the orings in a friction manner. Threads are more complex to assemble and can be crossed and damaged. "

At that time I was not able to comprehend fully his answer.
But by now ,after gaining some experience with filing,grinding,cutting and machining titanium
I can understand fully what he meant back then.
Titanium is maybe one the worst metals for threading ( like aluminium is ,in the same manner).

Two threaded parts made of Titanium ,they will soon lose their ability to be
joined and stay tight together.
Titanium is really prone to galling and threads on titanium won't last long enough,
especially if the other threaded part is also made from Titanium.
If in case of crossing /misaligning the threads ,the two parts are good enough for the garbage then.

More than that, the heat conductance is also an issue of course ,as was well stated from @ClearBlueLou .

Cheers.

Wow, I didn't know that. I've welded it before so I know a little about the metal but not the machining aspect. Well maybe a threaded "M" would work? Stainless would be more easy to machine threads right? George has thought of this I'm sure lol but you never know if he will read this and think about trying to market a batch to see if people would like it!

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Hiya my beloved DV bethren, I hope all is well with you wherever you are! Been sorta laying low but it's been fun catching up! Glad to hear that those that wanted the SE M got one. When the email came in, I held my breath logging into the DV site... and sighed in relief when I didn't have to have it. I think they're cool looking but I'm happy to keep saving for an Omni. This was my first "special" email, I really felt like part of the family!

So I accidentally combusted the other day (no click cycle + high me) and of course it was nasty. It's just very hard to believe I enjoyed that not long ago. But that is exactly what combusting before really tasted like, isn't it? I mean it's only my perception that has changed in that equation? It's just so foul that I can't imagine that I enjoyed it and could taste my herbs but I really thought I did. Now that seems crazy...

It's just turned 4:20 in the morning in my corner of the world! Best part of painful, sleepless night. Off to celebrate! Peace, and please keep the posts coming round here. I need the laughs & good vibes!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
So I accidentally combusted the other day (no click cycle + high me) and of course it was nasty. It's just very hard to believe I enjoyed that not long ago. But that is exactly what combusting before really tasted like, isn't it? I mean it's only my perception that has changed in that equation? It's just so foul that I can't imagine that I enjoyed it and could taste my herbs but I really thought I did. Now that seems crazy...
Not crazy at all. It tastes so bad when I combust that I get a bit of nausea. I can't even stand the after taste of joints anymore. I'm impatiently waiting for my slim jet lighter to arrive so that I can really take my vapcap on the go. That way I don't have to resort to the joint that my friends usually share. They think I'm crazy for wanting to vape over smoking. :mental:

formicae

Has anyone discussed the reason for friction fit over a threaded fit on the vapcap? It just makes more sense but I'm sure the engineering of a friction fit is better? Any thoughts? It just seems like this would be more durable and less maintenance, eliminating o-rings at first thought. #duravap!

The o-rings insulate the body from the tip somewhat. Can you imagine how hot the body on an Omni would get if it was directly threaded to the tip? And the mouthpiece, if you were to thread that as well.

O-rings are your friend.

Krazy

When my Omni eventually gets gunked up I simply remove the tip and set it on my anvil. Table top torch until it glows and eventually stops smoking. Yes, I'm simply to lazy to clean it, lol.

The idea was over time the titanium would warp a bit and i would swap in some of my backup parts, hasn't happened yet.

Agent_Age

When my Omni eventually gets gunked up I simply remove the tip and set it on my anvil. Table top torch until it glows and eventually stops smoking. Yes, I'm simply to lazy to clean it, lol.

The idea was over time the titanium would warp a bit and i would swap in some of my backup parts, hasn't happened yet.
Man your wasting all the golden nectar it's collecting for u

MAbud

How long does it take for the cap to cool down enough to reload next round? I know there is a click when it’s ready for heat again but wasn’t sure that it’s cool enough to touch. Just trying to understand a multi fill session in better detail. Thanks!

Dynavaper

Karma Farmer
How long does it take for the cap to cool down enough to reload next round? I know there is a click when it’s ready for heat again but wasn’t sure that it’s cool enough to touch. Just trying to understand a multi fill session in better detail. Thanks!

That's a bit depending on your fingers' sensibility for heat, but I can reload mine (or put it in my pocket) after approx. 20-30 secs. It goes faster outdoors. Talking about the TI tip here, the SS might take 5-10 secs. longer. The cap itself cools down much faster than the rest of the tip.

Hippie

Seconds if you use a magnet as a heat sink.
I (like many other VC vapers) use a metal tin to store my pre ground herb, with a magnet under the lid so you can use the lid as a cooler, stand and cap puller.
Not that you really need to wait for it to cool tho as you can fill it while it's hot with a magnetic cap puller, anyway.

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
Thanks for the reassurance there @Winegums because I used a one-hitter primarily the last 5 years I combusted. That delivery method is pretty much like a combusted VC. I can't believe my perspective has changed so drastically in less than 3 months' time. But I am SO grateful to have no desire to combust.

After I quit smoking tobacco, my local nurse gave me the carbon monoxide blow test and my levels were sky-high still. The realization that 4 little hits I had before the appt. was the cause and if I really wanted to clean up my act then I needed an alternative method. Fortunately I found FC and you guys. I took the same CO test last week and my CO saturation is now at atmospheric levels, like a baby's! Freakin' amazing really.

My only regret really is that I didn't try a VapCap sooner because it took me so long to find you guys. IMHO, a VC is the best device for most to switch from combusting. And this thread is definitely the best place to learn about all things VapCap! Wishing all of the DynaVap fam a wonderful Sunday wherever you are. PEACE!

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
Hiya my beloved DV bethren, I hope all is well with you wherever you are! Been sorta laying low but it's been fun catching up! Glad to hear that those that wanted the SE M got one. When the email came in, I held my breath logging into the DV site... and sighed in relief when I didn't have to have it. I think they're cool looking but I'm happy to keep saving for an Omni. This was my first "special" email, I really felt like part of the family!

It's just turned 4:20 in the morning in my corner of the world! Best part of painful, sleepless night. Off to celebrate! Peace, and please keep the posts coming round here. I need the laughs & good vibes!

Last night i took a perfectly clean vapcap and a vapcap that i have used a while without cleaning... Loaded both with the same amount of the same herb.

With the clean VC i kept the cap off and lit it with the lighter... Combusting on purpose. Using it exactly like a 1 hitter... The taste was great, just like a 1 hitter usually is IMO..

Then i took the VC that has only been used for vaporizing... With the cap on... And intentionally Combusted...

The taste was horrible!!

So.... My uneducated conclusion is the vaporization process completely changes the taste once combustion levels are reached. I still like combusting on occasion and still enjoy the flavor... But once the herb is partially vaped combusting taste horrible..

justcametomind

Last night i took a perfectly clean vapcap and a vapcap that i have used a while without cleaning... Loaded both with the same amount of the same herb.

With the clean VC i kept the cap off and lit it with the lighter... Combusting on purpose. Using it exactly like a 1 hitter... The taste was great, just like a 1 hitter usually is IMO..

Then i took the VC that has only been used for vaporizing... With the cap on... And intentionally Combusted...

The taste was horrible!!

So.... My uneducated conclusion is the vaporization process completely changes the taste once combustion levels are reached. I still like combusting on occasion and still enjoy the flavor... But once the herb is partially vaped combusting taste horrible..
To have confirmation of this you should pack a VapCap with ABV, smoke it, and see if it tastes like the capped VapCap in which you combusted. That takes a lot of combusting.

WoodVillain

Backwoods Rated
To have confirmation of this you should pack a VapCap with ABV, smoke it, and see if it tastes like the capped VapCap in which you combusted. That takes a lot of combusting.

I just cleaned both this morning... So that will have to wait lol

I have put abv in a bong in the past. Taste wasnt great... I expected that. The flavor is the first thing to go no matter if smoking or vaping.

WoodVillain,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Not crazy at all. It tastes so bad when I combust that I get a bit of nausea. I can't even stand the after taste of joints anymore.
This really is an amazing thing. I mean, I combusted for over 40 years, and now I have vaped exclusively for just over 3 and I just can't stand combustion. To the point that I have to change the water in a glass piece and/or clean a VC or other vape to eliminate the taste. It's insane how sensitive to the taste of combustion I have gotten.
When I first started using the VC I was a little concerned that it was too much like cigarette smoking which I had had a long and difficult battle ejecting from my life. For a little while the size, shape, and behavior parallels reminded me of my previous addiction (10 years past) and I went out of my way to make it different. Fortunately I got past that OK after a few months. It WAS a thing, tho. Now using the VC mostly produces joy and heavenly vapor, and when it reminds me of smoking, it is joints not cigs. I can deal with that.

MAbud

Seconds if you use a magnet as a heat sink.
I (like many other VC vapers) use a metal tin to store my pre ground herb, with a magnet under the lid so you can use the lid as a cooler, stand and cap puller.
Not that you really need to wait for it to cool tho as you can fill it while it's hot with a magnetic cap puller, anyway.

Thanks. Would you have a picture handy or a link to something you recommend?

MAbud,
Top Bottom