• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

hinglemccringleberry

If you have the ability to discern taste well.....then glass is the only answer!

I am jealous of those that can not tell the diff....because if I were like that...I could take direct draws off my vapes with no water use. But there are people like me that have the ability to taste the differences....and it is a big difference for me from glass to metals or wood.
The thing is, you're still using a metal tip to cook the bud in. I would think that nullifies any flavor advantage given by the downstream components being made of glass. Now if the tip itself was made of glass, they might be onto something.
I am looking for a glass stem w/ spikes/nipples and a much needed airport hole. Perhaps theres a subtle improvement in flavor over the titanium stem that will register on a subconscious level with me. I doubt it though.
I had a Fury 2. "Use the glass mouthpiece for the purest flavor" they said. Nope, the flavor of that device is still muted even with the all glass pathway. My titanium Omni gives me better flavor. The Vapman is one of the best flavor experiences a butane device offers. No glass on that thing either. The temp you're roasing at and the quantity of herb used has a much bigger influence in flavor IME. No glass pathway on the volcano either. The flavor out of that thing is incredible. Probably because youre tasting half a gram worth of bud.
Thanks electrofever for pointing me in the right direction. I'm glad that vgoodiez has a glass stem with the hole. Having to use one with no hole turns me off to vapcapping.

Last edited:

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
But you do like the feel of wood on your lips. :lol:

Oh! I see what you did there! :rofl:

not touchin' that :rolleyes:

Couldn't help yourself, could you? You touched it!

Thanks @almost there for helping me complete my "Two Tone" HydraVong. Now all I need is my old 1979 Vespa! Vape on Rude Boys and Girls!

prsp4kuvtnk5mqnr.jpg

qcfddwqk2p34y0h2.jpg

5gx776eer8auhpfh.jpg

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
The thing is, you're still using a metal tip to cook the bud in. I would think that nullifies any flavor advantage given by the downstream components being made of glass. Now if the tip itself was made of glass, they might be onto something.
I am looking for a glass stem w/ spikes/nipples and a much needed airport hole. Perhaps theres a subtle improvement in flavor over the titanium stem that will register on a subconscious level with me. I doubt it though.
I had a Fury 2. "Use the glass mouthpiece for the purest flavor" they said. Nope, the flavor of that device is still muted even with the all glass pathway. My titanium Omni gives me better flavor. The Vapman is one of the best flavor experiences a butane device offers. No glass on that thing either. The temp you're roasing at and the quantity of herb used has a much bigger influence in flavor IME. No glass pathway on the volcano either. The flavor out of that thing is incredible. Probably because youre tasting half a gram worth of bud.
Thanks electrofever for pointing me in the right direction. I'm glad that vgoodiez has a glass stem with the hole. Having to use one with no hole turns me off to vapcapping.

Have you tried vapcap’s BB9. It’s a fabulous glass stem with an air port, nipples, AND cooling beads.

And made for use with a water piece or for native use.

LabPong

The downstream body does effect taste to me! Yes...the Ti oven will not be as good for taste as a glass oven like my custom Lotus arizer hack stems....or an Elev8r bowl and oven....or even the G43 with a tiny bit of SS in the heater only, but packed with a glass heater core and balls around both inside a glass stem.

But yea...I can easily tell the difference in vapor taste with different body material types on my Ti tips.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@stark1 -The VapCap cap keeps the round stems from rolling off the table.

There is only so much volatile matter remaining in dried wood that could possibly be heated to a level of extraction in an area so limited in mass that I don't consider this problematic. Only certain species of wood register as concerning when used as pipe-bowls seeing significantly more heat.

As to taste, Flowering Quince has no scent or flavor. Once the vape path is well coated in vape honey, the wood is not even seen in the vape path so no taste there either.

Don't me wrong, I do like glass just not at the mouthpiece.

And just to bring up vaping your draw tube to oblivion; vape is mass loss. We vape plant matter in significant volume to have notable mass loss. A mass loss on this scale from a stem would result in a busted up pile of toothpicks. I am finding these stems to remain surprisingly vital. The key is making them as natural as possible. Fabrications is always done with dry tools and no agents. Only cutting edges and dry sandpaper. No polishing pastes or oils. The only thing I add is Shellac on the exterior which is also natural and food-safe. The Shellac is a vanity coating to preserve color.

I am really glad DynaVap put out the hunk-of-wood. The DV DIY stem from what looks like a chunk of Walnut (?) but we are not certain of the species as the wood itself is not disclosed that I could find. If vaping wood were problematic, every Hunk-of-Wood, Vong and all the other DV wood products with a VC-receiver in wood would have to ship with an MSDS. However, in all fairness, I absolutely agree that one can develop a personal bias against wood in general. I do the same with titanium after all.

So if I made you a stem it would become a shelf queen @stark1? I have a lot of stems that I rejected because they have Linseed oil on them including the VC receiver and mouthpiece. Doesn't bother me but definitely not something I want to subject anyone else to. Linseed is food-save but probably not vape-safe. Often times the ladder is easily overlooked. I'm glad you brought up the subject because it has been in the forefront of my investigation into the suitability of this material.

What exactly makes waterworks compound the issue?

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
@cybrguy I just picked up some crumbly sugar wax the other day and tried it with the dynacoil yesterday. It is a bit of a pain because of the non-sticky texture of the crumble. I put a few small pieces on top of the coil and then hit it briefly with a torch to melt it in, otherwise some of it would get on the inside of the cap. Unfortunately, due to youtube being jackass, sneaky pete's excellent video on dynacoil use is down, but Troy has a good one.
Thanks @BabyFacedFinster . I tried the crumble just like you did. Works just fine, but there must be a better way.
I hadn't seen this vid of Troy's. Love his vids. He would be a fun guy to hang with.
Have been missing @WakeAndVape's vids. I hope he is OK. And I have seen Sneaky Pete's vid, but I would like to see it again now that I have something to try, if it is reposted elsewhere.
Have you tried vapcap’s BB9. It’s a fabulous glass stem with an air port, nipples, AND cooling beads.
That is definately my next DV purchase. Looks like a great addition to my DynaFamily.
There is only so much volatile matter remaining in dried wood that could possibly be heated to a level of extraction in an area so limited in mass that I don't consider this problematic. Only certain species of wood register as concerning when used as pipe-bowls seeing significantly more heat.

As to taste, Flowering Quince has no scent or flavor. Once the vape path is well coated in vape honey, the wood is not even seen in the vape path so no taste there either.
I really don't like wood in the airpath after heating, tho no problem with cool air. Besides the taste, I find it hard to clean it well if it gets honey on it. I DO love the feel of wood in my hand, tho, so I like vapes with wood outside like Zions and Milaana, or my Woody or Nonavongs among my VCs.

As far as the DynaCoil goes I threw it in a unused M 2019. I did NOT take out the CCD, tho that seems to be whats recommended. Particularly with the crumble I am using I would think it might capture any loose crumbs that tried to get away. Why is the common wisdom to 86 it?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The Nonavong uses a condenser and an airport so only ambient temp unladen air travels through the wood. Once the air is heated it travels from the tip directly into the condenser. If you add a mouthpiece to it you use an XL condenser, so the laden air still ride's only in the condenser.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I am a little confused why folks want an airport in condenserless stems. Doesn't that hamstring the air you want to pull through the tip? Air, like water, would take the shortest easiest path I would think and skip the tip completely if it can.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The Nonavong uses a condenser and an airport so only ambient temp unladen air travels through the wood. Once the air is heated it travels from the tip directly into the condenser. If you add a mouthpiece to it you use an XL condenser, so the laden air still ride's only in the condenser.

Undestood. I was more considering the small void where the VC plugs into the stem. That does have a little exposed wood right at the top o-ring within the vape cavity unless I am missing something. True that the condenser takes care of a lot of the scent from scented species that can be imparted in the flavor. Cedar for instance is not a flavor I would enjoy in a vape but works great in a closet.

A carb, as a condenser-less stem would have, is to clear the vape from the stem of vape. That is why I prefer a normally-closed carb or air port.

Someone asked about cleaning wooden stems - don't :D Okay, of course it will eventually clog. Been there already. Sipping to load bowls triples the accumulation rate with kief and dust. If the finish is tolerant, you can clean with ISO. I use Shellac so not so fast! Shellac can be removed with any alcohol. I use the smaller bamboo skewers to clear the path and push it through from the mouthpiece end. Two passes after a wipe if needed. Done :brow:

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Undestood. I was more considering the small void where the VC plugs into the stem. That does have a little exposed wood right at the top o-ring within the vape cavity unless I am missing something. True that the condenser takes care of a lot of the scent from scented species that can be imparted in the flavor. Cedar for instance is not a flavor I would enjoy in a vape but works great in a closet.

A carb, as a condenser-less stem would have, is to clear the vape from the stem of vape. That is why I prefer a normally-closed carb or air port.
Lately I have been using glass wands more than my Nonavong, but I pulled off the tip for this pic. Sorry it's dirty, but I haven't cleaned it recently. As you can see, there is little if any void because the condenser slips a little inside the tip. I rarely have any honey to clean from that spot.
tip-on-Nona2.jpg

The volume of air that fits inside these stems is so tiny that the idea of "clearing" them seems a little... unnecessary. The only use of an airport for me on these devices is to reduce the density of the hit.
And, btw, if you look closely you may see that inside the Nonavong there is an xring blocking the airflow so the airport is neutered. That eliminates the need to cover the airport as on glass there is no need to reduce density of the hit.

Last edited:

Planck

believes in Dog
@stark1
Some drink to remember
Some drink to forget.

"leached wood vapor" :o:uhoh::disgust: MMDV :lol:
I enjoy a campfire too.

@TommyDee That is another stunning stem. I would put that in my mouth and I'd like it! :brow:

@RogueGuy That is a striking vapcap I like! That bowl is lovely too. :luv:

The thing is, you're still using a metal tip to cook the bud in. I would think that nullifies any flavor advantage given by the downstream components being made of glass.

I think that I think what you think! :rockon:Sceptical at best, same with all the vortexed nippled beaded hypercooled interconnected blackhole condensed vaperz of the gods. Not the most popular opinion I'm sure nevertheless it is all mine. Double blind testing and some temperature measurements could confirm if this is a physical or imagined reality. :science: I won't hold my breath.

:tup:

I am a little confused why folks want an airport in condenserless stems.

I've wondered about this too. Is it even an "airport" anymore, to me it is just a carb without the condenser.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend and gets what they need. :wave:

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Very cleaver on the X-ring :tup: I very much appreciate your image @cybrguy . That is what I was envisioning.

Since this thread has gone to stem material preferences for a page or so...

Anyone - Why aren't there many, if any, fired clay pieces for VC stems?

Ton, I have been eyeing these ceramic pieces. —Given that the ID is 8mm?

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Just curious since I have that aqua-colored anodized tubing which turned out to be aluminum. Seamless super thin walled and smooth. Would make for a perfect liner in every other respect for stems using condensers. Actually this is worth trying. It is exposed to incoming air if it fashions an air port. Otherwise it will see VC temps at the top of the cooling fins. At what temperature does aluminum oxide get liberated?

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Hahaha.. yea. Glad that was more legend than truth.

I could follow Vapeman's solution and gold plate the aluminum.

Almost forgot... there is also Alumina! That is completely inert considering its firing temp.
Unlike glass, Alumina is diamond ground so you can have fairly consistent geometry in the end along with machinable features. Spendy and still delicate, I could see this as another pure medium to rival glass.

Last edited:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@grogazola - we were talking aluminum but SS and Ti are acceptable mediums for vaping when exposed to heat.

Makers still have to be diligent about the grades of those materials.

You also have to separate the conversation when it comes to coils. There I cannot comment.

Gold plating is a trick Vapeman deployed to make copper bowls without the risks associated with copper. If I can get gold in solution to bond to aluminum, problem solved. By weight it is minuscule. I have enough scrap circuit boards to plate meters of the stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom