sirwalter

Interesting the viton orings Im used to are usually black. I have seen brown too, but not green yet.

I had been thinking the grey orings could be buna-n but they typically have a much lower heat limit than viton. Im curious.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Thanks for the link. Def makes me wonder if grey viton exists too.

From what Ive read buna-n has a limit of 250 farenheit vs vitons 400+ limit. Seems like a pretty large drop.

The VapCap X-rings ( at the SS condensers ) are most probably made of Buna-N (Nitrile).
But they are located far away from the tip.So no worries there about reaching their temperature limitations.

Viton o-rings from the other hand can withstand higher temps ,
but in case of them being burned (scorched accidentally ) can be hazardous .
HF will be released at such case.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Precautions
At high temperatures or in a fire, fluoroelastomers decompose and may release hydrogen fluoride. Any residue must be handled using protective equipment. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viton

Health and safety

A hydrofluoric acid burn of the hand

HF burns, not evident until a day after
In addition to being a highly corrosive liquid, hydrofluoric acid is also a powerful contact poison. Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident, and this can provide false reassurance to victims, causing them to delay medical treatment.[11] Despite having an irritating odor, HF may reach dangerous levels without an obvious odor.[7] HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.[11] Symptoms of HF exposure include irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, and throat, eye and skin burns, rhinitis, bronchitis, pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs), and bone damage.[12]

Once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest. Burns with areas larger than 160 cm2(25 square inches) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels.[13] In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+. Formation of insoluble calcium fluoride is proposed as the etiology for both precipitous fall in serum calcium and the severe pain associated with tissue toxicity.[14] In some cases, exposures can lead to hypocalcemia. Thus, hydrofluoric acid exposure is often treated with calcium gluconate, a source of Ca2+ that sequesters the fluoride ions. HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel[15][16][17] or special rinsing solutions.[18][19] However, because it is absorbed, medical treatment is necessary;[13] rinsing off is not enough. Intra-arterial infusions of calcium chloride have also shown great effectiveness in treating burns.[20]

Hydrogen fluoride is generated upon combustion of many fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) parts.[21] Hydrofluorocarbons in automatic fire suppression systems can release hydrogen fluoride at high temperatures, and this has led to deaths from acute respiratory failure in military personnel when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the fire suppression system in their vehicle.[22] Hydrofluoric acid can be released from volcanoes, sea salt aerosol, and from welding or manufacturing processes.[7]

The general population is exposed to hydrofluoric acid through consumption of naturally or artificially fluoridated drinking water, coal burning, volcanic emissions and the resuspension of soil by wind. Major sources of industrial fluoride emissions are aluminum production plants and phosphate fertilizer plants
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally ,I limit the use of Viton o-rings at my VC tips ,
only to the "external " one .
The one that sits -outside the stem-between the tip and the stem .

The three " internal " ones are made of silicone.
They are softer ( more supple ) and easier to be damaged than the Viton ones ,
but silicone o-rings withstand a tad higher temperature than the Viton ones
and of course they are a lot safer ,in case they get scorched accidentally and their fumes are inhaled.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-6-x-1mm-price-for-10-pcs/

Last edited:

sirwalter

The VapCap X-rings ( at the SS condensers ) are most probably made of Buna-N (Nitrile).
But they are located far away from the tip.So no worries there about reaching their temperature limitations.

" Precautions
At high temperatures or in a fire, fluoroelastomers decompose and may release hydrogen fluoride. Any residue must be handled using protective equipment. "

and of course they are a lot safer ,in case they get scorched accidentally and their fumes are inhaled.

I didn't realize the risk associated with scorching viton, thanks for mentioning that.

I use the same silicone orings you linked on my omnivaps. I found the viton ones get kind hard and lose their stretch, especially the orings on the tip. I still sometimes use the viton ones near the mouthpiece-they seem to do a good job dealing with the adjustable airflow. Ive found thats rough on the silicone and can start to tear them.

Just saw the photos you added...yikes

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The grey o-rings are viton. Dynavap changed them to grey so that they wouldn’t be confused with black buna-N o-rings. Speaking of which I just got another 75 red silicone o-rings because I ran out of black ones. So if you order from me I’ll be including those from now on.

sirwalter

The grey o-rings are viton. Dynavap changed them to grey so that they wouldn’t be confused with black buna-N o-rings. Speaking of which I just got another 75 red silicone o-rings because I ran out of black ones. So if you order from me I’ll be including those from now on.

Thanks, was hoping someone knew. Interesting to know what prompted the switch. Think I will just stick with silicone going forward.

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse
The phrase "out for delivery" is so joyful. I have two packages arriving today; the '18 M and a couple of medium Milaana stems bought on the cheap that are in need of custom screens which I just might be able to finagle into them.

And I need some relaxing joy. Spent the week writing press releases, creating flyers, and doing a huge website redesign. Too much computer work for my guitar hands. So-hopefully this will be about the longest missive I write today-time to wrap my hands around a guitfiddle instead of this MacBook Air.

And I thought last night's Dynavap Live the best. George was comfortable and really seemed to enjoy himself.

And I loved the shoutout to @stardustsailor. I just love the way DV works with the craft crew-that's not true in a lot of businesses who think of those as dollars lost to a competitor. Gotta love George's attitude.

Here's a "Farewell" to the week that was, and heralds the beginning of a weekend of possibilities.

Cheers, FCers

stark1

Lonesome Planet

" Precautions

Health and safety

A hydrofluoric acid burn of the hand

HF burns, not evident until a day after
In addition to being a highly corrosive liquid, hydrofluoric acid is also a powerful contact poison. Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident, and this can provide false reassurance to victims, causing them to delay medical treatment.[11] Despite having an irritating odor, HF may reach dangerous levels without an obvious odor.[7] HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.[11] Symptoms of HF exposure include irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, and throat, eye and skin burns, rhinitis, bronchitis, pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs), and bone damage.[12]

Once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest. Burns with areas larger than 160 cm2(25 square inches) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels.[13] In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+. Formation of insoluble calcium fluoride is proposed as the etiology for both precipitous fall in serum calcium and the severe pain associated with tissue toxicity.[14] In some cases, exposures can lead to hypocalcemia. Thus, hydrofluoric acid exposure is often treated with calcium gluconate, a source of Ca2+ that sequesters the fluoride ions. HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel[15][16][17] or special rinsing solutions.[18][19] However, because it is absorbed, medical treatment is necessary;[13] rinsing off is not enough. Intra-arterial infusions of calcium chloride have also shown great effectiveness in treating burns.[20]

Hydrogen fluoride is generated upon combustion of many fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) parts.[21] Hydrofluorocarbons in automatic fire suppression systems can release hydrogen fluoride at high temperatures, and this has led to deaths from acute respiratory failure in military personnel when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the fire suppression system in their vehicle.[22] Hydrofluoric acid can be released from volcanoes, sea salt aerosol, and from welding or manufacturing processes.[7]

The general population is exposed to hydrofluoric acid through consumption of naturally or artificially fluoridated drinking water, coal burning, volcanic emissions and the resuspension of soil by wind. Major sources of industrial fluoride emissions are aluminum production plants and phosphate fertilizer plants

Your caution of Viton/HF is appreciated SDS, and informative—altho sometimes your graphic
thoroughness scares the willies outer me... :rip::spliff:

Nice stems BTW-betcha knurled are in/on the horizon, Sailor.

Last edited:

beyond6strings

I'm new to the VapCap. Can't believe I waited so long.

Should we be purchasing the size listed below or are there multiple sizes depending on the model of VapCap?

• 6mm ID x 8mm OD x 1mm C/S
Thanks!

@MyCollife your best bet is to buy directly from Dynavap-they're always in stock, cheap, and you know they'll work and fit.

beyond6strings

I was just wondering about the silicone o-rings as a few people had mentioned them as an alternative. Not sure that I would necessarily need an alternative though.

Personally I just trust in George. But I'd also trust Stardustsailor and Phatpiggie, and use whatever they use in their stems on their stems. George has done way more research and knows way more about this stuff than I do. And I know he's made recent changes to his o-rings in the past few months. Plus I know all the stuff from DV is made to fit DV condensers and tips. It's just easier and I like to have as much of my DV $ as possible go directly to DV.

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Your caution of Viton/HF is appreciated SDS, and informative—altho sometimes your graphic
thoroughness scares the willies outer me... :rip::spliff:

Nice stems BTW-betcha knurled are in/on the horizon, Sailor.

The possibility of someone scorching the o-rings of the VapCap is actually extremely low,
mainly due the fact that the o-rings are positioned far away from the ..tip of the tip.
And it's actually quite difficult to raise the temperature of the tip's base ( where the o-rings are seated ),
at such level exceeding the operational limit of the o-rings ,while heating the cap.

Silicone is neither safe ,if scorched.
Still ,it's safer than scorched Viton.

And yes .Knurled stems are on the horizon.Actually few day's trip left to get there ...
;)

cheers.

MyCollie

Personally I just trust in George. But I'd also trust Stardustsailor and Phatpiggie, and use whatever they use in their stems on their stems. George has done way more research and knows way more about this stuff than I do. And I know he's made recent changes to his o-rings in the past few months. Plus I know all the stuff from DV is made to fit DV condensers and tips. It's just easier and I like to have as much of my DV $ as possible go directly to DV.

Thanks - that's a good explanation. I think I'll just stick with the DV O-rings for now. I definitely agree with spending $ at DV. George and the DV team really deserve it. I'm impressed with the live youtube vids and the fact that they really want customer input is great. Another added bonus (as you mentioned) is the amount of research they put into the products. They certainly don't jump the gun and release products to just to make extra $.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Thanks, was hoping someone knew. Interesting to know what prompted the switch. Think I will just stick with silicone going forward.
I believe it was temperature and compression set resistance. Viton performs much better than most materials under high temperature and compression. Buna-N will deform at high temperature and compression, losing their round shape and also getting quite hard.

I like the silicone o-rings that I have because they always remain soft and don't seem to abrade in my metal lined stems and bodies. I can often still see the flashing ring on them even after a month or two of use. I also really dig the red colour.

sirwalter

I believe it was temperature and compression set resistance. Viton performs much better than most materials under high temperature and compression. Buna-N will deform at high temperature and compression, losing their round shape and also getting quite hard.

I like the silicone o-rings that I have because they always remain soft and don't seem to abrade in my metal lined stems and bodies. I can often still see the flashing ring on them even after a month or two of use. I also really dig the red colour.

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression they had always used viton. I have an omnivap thats over a year old that came with black viton orings. I agree about the silicone. Im also not really a fan of paying $1 per oring. No offense to dynavap.

Totally separate topic:

Thought it was interesting George mentioned being open to rereleasing the older omnivaps during the stream yesterday. Id love an old style (I think gen 4?) XL omnivap.

szai

I could tell he's excited about getting some in-house anodized Ti midsections going as well. Releasing an XL Omni with the plainer geometry would be a good opportunity to do some funky anodized patterns on some of them.
I get the biggest sense of nostalgia, I think, seeing those splash anodizing patterns.

I got into paintball around the age of twelve and those were the colors of customized markers!

stark1

Lonesome Planet
Earth-calling on the Cosmos. :wave:

IEfjtmQ.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom