Dynavap "caps" mature ,as they age !

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Most probably ,yes ,they do !

But first ...
^^^^^Press the Play button ^^^^^

Then ...
Grab one new cap and see if the digger will stick to a magnet .
Now ,torch the digger till it glows red and leave it to cool down.
Will it stick to a magnet ?

-One side (the low expansion one ) of the bimetallic discs is -and has to remain***-ferromagnetic .
How it's operation is affected,when encapsulated perpendicularly
into a ferromagnetic -initially- steel tube ,
which gradually becomes paramagnetic from the heat applied ?

-The crystal matrix of the bimetallic discs also gets affected by usage.
The discs most probably will be softer to bend ,after some cycles of clicking .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use -everyday -a cap from my very first Vapcap-more than a year old -
Very responsive cap, to the changes of temperature.
Fast .Precise.No chance of combusting.

I use -occassonally- two new series caps .
While heating ,the click might be comin' somewhat late ,comparing to the old cap.
But not such a difference ,not that striking .

BTW ,both the new tips have the same exact "attitude"...
They operate exactly the same.

But the cool down click takes an eternity to come.
Sometimes The extra late cool down click ,
was by 50% the reason for accidentaly combusting.

And the rest 50% ,is due to my clicking ears ...

Combustion is not a rare phenomenon with that new (Vap)cap ?
You got stubborn,stiff young clickers ,that won't ...listen to the temperature ?

Give them a break ! (again and again ,for many years ! )
They are just " young guns " that are not used that much.
They will get softer by time
(thing is ,have to use 'em more often ).

I can suspect couple of reasons why ...
But then...
Maybe there are more ,than just a couple.
;)

The cap ,thus the whole VapCap ,ages along with it's user.
They do get the time needed to learn everything about each other.
Their interface becomes better and better with time.
Click by click*.

*My hard guess is that the bimettallic discs will last way more than 100,000 cycles,
if treated nicely .Rough estimation : about 300,000 to 500,000 cycles .

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
(...)
Most LES materials exhibit a phenomenon known as the “Invar Effect”.
The Invar Effect is the near zero thermal expansion that occurs in some materials.The Invar Effect occurs below the materials Curie temperature.
The Curie temperature is a specific temperature for each material defined by the material’s atomic structure at which the material changes magnetic permeability. Above the Curie temperature, a phase transformation occurs which changes the material’s magnetic permeability from ferro-magnetic to para-magnetic. The changes in crystallo-graphic orientation, energy, and entropy that occur as the Curie temperature is approached cause LES materials to lose their low expansion properties. Above the Curie temperature, LES materials have rates of thermal expansion similar to typical steel. Therefore, LES materials must remain ferromagnetic and be used below their Curie temperatures to maintain their low expansion characteristics. The commonly defined Curie temperature for standard Invar (Fe-36Ni) is 230°C.

*( LES :Low expansion side of a bi-metallic disc )

https://www.emsclad.com/fileadmin/Data/Divisions/EMS/Header/Bimetal_Desingers_Guide.pdf

The main reason for ,few caps die too young....
:rip:

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
Cap body material : 304 Stainless steel .

http://www.mtm-inc.com/ac-20110117-how-nonmagnetic-are-304-and-316-stainless-steels.html

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/pdfs/PIRFS_Mag_Permeability_St_Stl_PI.pdf

The magnetic story of a cap..

1 ) Melting and hot forging 304 stainless steel into a disc ,ready for deep drawing :
Cool down to Austenite phase ,paramagnetic

2 ) Deep drawing (type of cold forging ) the forementioned disc into a cap :
Austenite phase=> Martensite phase ,ferromagnetic

3 ) Heating repeatedly the forementioned cap :
Martensite phase=> Austenite phase, paramagnetic

The LES / INVAR side of the clickers is affected -indirectly-by that change ?
Or not ?
That is the question ...

More Vc users should compare one or two years old (and used a lot ) caps with brand new ones .
How fast the clicks are coming ,under the same conditions.
If multiple verifications of difference will show up ,then I guess can be stated as a fact :
The caps do "mature" with usage (thus while aging) .

Last edited:

stardustsailor

Accessory Maker
And since we're on the caps topic ....

@VapCap

Dear George ,
I 've noticed this :

(...)
When the predetermined temperature range is reached, the indicator 28 flexes or deforms or otherwise indicates to provide the tactile (vibration), audible (snap), and/or visual (different position of the indicator in the tube) indication that the volatizing temperature for the target compounds 19 for the material 24 has been reached.
(...)

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20140186015

:rockon::clap::bowdown:

The first thing that came in my mind is a small hole at the bottom of the cap.
And the adjacent-to the bottom of the cap - bimetallic disc could have a small "nipple" at it's center ,facing towards the hole.

When the cap is at it's "OFF" state (cool) the tiny hole at the bottom of the cap is open.
When the bimetallic disc(s) snap ,the the nipple of the "outer" disc ,"sticks-out" into the tiny hole and seals it ,but also provides a visual feedback ,since now the hole is closed and the tip of the disc's "nipple" can be seen ,through the tiny hole.

Just a rough and spontaneous idea .

I'm sure that quite a few people with a hearing problem of a certain degree
or the rest -with 10/10 hearing -when vaping in a noisy environment ,
would really appreciate a new cap with visual feedback.

Cheers.
:tup:

Last edited:

jds

Thanks for this thread. This covers some things I'd been wondering as well about the caps. I had no idea they were made of 304 stainless steel.

Also, I think I would still keep using my caps even long after they stop clicking entirely, as long as they don't crack or break in some way.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
Very interesting stuff here. I've only had two caps now. One from an old Woody, and now my current from an M. I've noticed the both aged the same way. Mine both dent IN on the top of the cap. Not tons, but it is present. Furthermore, there are odd dark color spots that always appear, and the underlying color changes. I have had a general sense that a cap gets worn in...like it feels poppy and loud at first. It softens and gets relaxed... I don't know. Just the waxings of a non-scientific studied mind. There's a lot I know about, but metals is not really one, so it's all so very enlightening.

Man, that's a wild idea with the nipple, but I like this divergent thought. Here's why:

By giving two methods of feedback, it is making Vapcap for accessible to people with disabilities. Not everyone has great hearing, and the vibration feedback is very subtle. I think it would be a fantastic improvement if there was a visual cue that the Cap has reached it's temperature. Great thinking!

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Meh, they of course have a "breaking in" period.

Ramahs,
Top Bottom