Drying Tip

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I just found this tip on another site re: drying herb:

A tip on drying your herbs quickly, but not too quickly.....place them in a brown paper bag for a few hours, or even up to a day. The brown paper sucks the moisture right out of those herbs. You don't want to dry em up to quickly because the slower it dries, more crystals will appear on the herbs . Dry it too quickly and you get fewer crystals...

I don't know if it is true, but I'm willing to give anything a try at least once.

macbill,

lepstadder

You don't want to dry em up to quickly because the slower it dries, more crystals will appear on the herbs . Dry it too quickly and you get fewer crystals...
this for real makes sense to you?

Wow, will all the info available to people.

Okay drying has nothing to do with the amount of crystals or THC present.

They stop being produced when the bud is picked.

Drying can affect potency though,

you have to be careful about oxidation

as well as mold and stuff

but you cant make it any more potent at all, period

lepstadder,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
lepstadder said:
You don't want to dry em up to quickly because the slower it dries, more crystals will appear on the herbs . Dry it too quickly and you get fewer crystals...
Well, I am a Bozo, so, sure, I can get sucked into almost anything.

But in this instance, what I thought the writer was conveying was that a slow dry may make the tricomes that exist more apparent: that they don't dry stuck to the plant, so if one is trying to harvest pollen with a collector, it may be easier.

I never even thought of Tom's position of still growing, Bozo that I am.

So I end up trying many many stupid things (I bought a Raydiant Titanium Vapor Engine), but sometimes a gem pops up. This. too, may be one of the stupid ones, but I will give it a try, just to see.

macbill,

lepstadder

Well not trying to argue.

"Drying can affect potency though...but you cant make it any more potent at all, period."
this holds true,

The method of drying can reduce potency but not increase it.

That is a fact, plain and simple.

shipping clones that are bound in a root cube and provided all essential elements for life will live absolutely.

But taking a bud of a plant and expecting it to get any more potent is ridicules.

now i recall in a book from the sixties, " the gourmet guide to grass" the idiot talked about taking your pot and burying it in the ground so mold grows on it to make it more potent, just as silly an idea.

Now sure pick a tomato or apple and it will ripen on your windowsill but this is different.

Flavor can be enhanced by the drying process, but not potency.

"Drying can affect potency though...but you cant make it any more potent at all, period."
you laugh at this statement huh?

Well i will eat my foot on camera if you can show me a method of taking some pot that lacks potency, drying it out in a magical secret method handed down by the Sumerians to only be done on the solstice with the blessing of virgin blood bestowed upon our brows... and making it more potent than when plucked from the plant

again not trying to argue or be an ass at all. sarcasm does not come off in print very well, but hey

when you are right you are right

lepstadder,

Trixer

lepstadder said:

Wow, will all the info available to people.

Okay drying has nothing to do with the amount of crystals or THC present.

They stop being produced when the bud is picked.

Drying can affect potency though,

you have to be careful about oxidation

as well as mold and stuff

but you cant make it any more potent at all, period
Im sorry to inform you but I feel a lot of what your saying here is completely, and utterly wrong. I dont mean to be blunt but, im see this forum is littered a lot with incorrect "facts"

First off you can completely effect the potency of any herb after its been picked, a matter of fact alot of good herb gets most of its potency after its picked in a process called "Curing" and this is where the herb is given a very strict light cycle after its been plucked so that the buds continue to produces what ever it is you want them to produce ;). This works for most flower bearing planets where the "bud" is consumed in some sort of way.

Also yes drying does effect crystal production, because most of the active chemicals are suspended in other liquids inside of the plant its self, so as these liquids evaporate then the active chemicals are left behind in a crystal form.

However I would like to urge you not to use paper bags to dry your herbs with, paper bags drastically increase the chances of mold forming on the herbs.. and that is not good at all.. mold will destroy your crop. If you want to dry your herbs the right way, do research on how to "cure" them and what kind of light cycles to give them after they have been plucked.

Trixer,

Trixer

lepstadder said:
Well not trying to argue.

this holds true,

The method of drying can reduce potency but not increase it.

That is a fact, plain and simple.

shipping clones that are bound in a root cube and provided all essential elements for life will live absolutely.

But taking a bud of a plant and expecting it to get any more potent is ridicules.

now i recall in a book from the sixties, " the gourmet guide to grass" the idiot talked about taking your pot and burying it in the ground so mold grows on it to make it more potent, just as silly an idea.

Now sure pick a tomato or apple and it will ripen on your windowsill but this is different.

Flavor can be enhanced by the drying process, but not potency.

you laugh at this statement huh?

Well i will eat my foot on camera if you can show me a method of taking some pot that lacks potency, drying it out in a magical secret method handed down by the Sumerians to only be done on the solstice with the blessing of virgin blood bestowed upon our brows... and making it more potent than when plucked from the plant

again not trying to argue or be an ass at all. sarcasm does not come off in print very well, but hey

when you are right you are right
Dude your wrong, drying can effect potency and make it even more potent the plant continues to make THC after it has been cut, so with proper light cycles it goes "crazy" cause it knows its going to die so it puts all its possible resources into reproduction... you giving it the right light cycles makes this even more crazy...

think about this, take your plant and pluck it and smoke it not dry.. what happens? NOTHING AT ALL!!!! now dry it out and smoke it? Hmm, connection? Maybe? You seem to know what your talking about, however your prechewed facts seems to lend a hand that your just guessing and trying to use common sense as your ally here..

Also about your foot.. would you like some condoments with that? or are you just going to go full on toes to throat and what do you want as proof? Writing? Wikipedia? I mean what will you accept as viable proof so that I can see you enjoy a toe jam samwhich ;)

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/h...58-curing-increase-potency-enhance-taste.html

First line, but I would recommend reading the whole thing, its a very good read by a very bright person (shifty nervous eyes).

so would you like coke, pepsi, or sprite to help wash down that bad taste in your mouth?

The fact of the matter is like you said, when your right, your right, and sarcasm is something that your allowed to put forth. Its a shame that for this one you weren't right...

Better luck next time :)

Trixer,

wthanna

Do some research into THC conversion. THC exists in various forms within the plant. Some forms humans don't process well. Curing properly can definitely increase potency. I will update this post later when I am in front of some research that I can point to from reputable sources, but in summary: There is the delta 9 THC, delta 11 THC, THC Acid, CBDs, etc... In different conditions some of these break down into other, more usable (by us humans) forms. The THC Acid is one that I believe does much of this conversion to delta 9 THC during a proper cure. Again, I am sorry for posting incomplete info here... not near my resource material, but this should get someone on the right path until I have some backup material to point to.. just had to get my two cents in here.. will update this post as soon as I can unless someone beats me to it. :)

Edited: the post above mine.. which was not there when I began writing this.. is on the right path.. a proper cure can make alot of difference in the finished product..

NOTE TO POSTERS: Investigate what you "have been told for years", when you are looking into this stuff.. You have also been "told for years" that Cannabis causes cancer, kills brain cells, has no medicinal value... many, many lies.. that continue to be regurgitated and repeated as if they were fact. Lets try to use this forum to shed some light on the truth... some of it may be ugly.. MOST is proving to be great, in my opinion, but lets try to get facts and truth out there!

wthanna,

lepstadder

First off you can completely effect the potency of any herb after its been picked, a matter of fact alot of good herb gets most of its potency after its picked in a process called "Curing" and this is where the herb is given a very strict light cycle after its been plucked so that the buds continue to produces what ever it is you want them to produce wink. This works for most flower bearing planets where the "bud" is consumed in some sort of way.

Also yes drying does effect crystal production, because most of the active chemicals are suspended in other liquids inside of the plant its self, so as these liquids evaporate then the active chemicals are left behind in a crystal form.
Dude, for real, Learn before you type.

Ignorance is bountiful

And yes the pot must be dried for the thc to be converted to a psychoactive form.

That is not what is being discussed here, jackass.

The question is whether 2 marijuana buds can be picked from the same plant and have one turn out more potent than the other,

Well, you can certainly make one less potent, but not one more potent. THIS IS FACT

Curing, is a form of PRESERVING!

you adjust the light cycle for the plants to change from vegative to flowering growth.

This is done to mimic the natural shortening of days to begin hormone changes in the plant to produce fruit.

You want to dry or cure you bud in the dark, not under alternately changing lights.

chemical liquids evaporating to leave behind the crystals.

Man, i dont know what kind of janky lead based vapes you people are using but shit.

Carcinogens from smoke should be the last of your all's worries if you think this type of stuff is true.

lepstadder,

Trixer

wthanna said:
Do some research into THC conversion. THC exists in various forms within the plant. Some forms humans don't process well. Curing properly can definitely increase potency. I will update this post later when I am in front of some research that I can point to from reputable sources, but in summary: There is the delta 9 THC, delta 11 THC, THC Acid, CBDs, etc... In different conditions some of these break down into other, more usable (by us humans) forms. The THC Acid is one that I believe does much of this conversion to delta 9 THC during a proper cure. Again, I am sorry for posting incomplete info here... not near my resource material, but this should get someone on the right path until I have some backup material to point to.. just had to get my two cents in here.. will update this post as soon as I can unless someone beats me to it. :)

Edited: the post above mine.. which was not there when I began writing this.. is on the right path.. a proper cure can make alot of difference in the finished product..

NOTE TO POSTERS: Investigate what you "have been told for years", when you are looking into this stuff.. You have also been "told for years" that Cannabis causes cancer, kills brain cells, has no medicinal value... many, many lies.. that continue to be regurgitated and repeated as if they were fact. Lets try to use this forum to shed some light on the truth... some of it may be ugly.. MOST is proving to be great, in my opinion, but lets try to get facts and truth out there!
He is more or less correct as well, there's some fine nit picky details in regards to the different types of THC, but we wont go into that because they are not relevant to our topic here.

I agree, with the above post, in the fact that we should be sharing facts and not "what ive been told for years" type things. Please do your research before posting something you feel is a fact, which is why im so how would you say "over the top" with posts share incorrect "facts" , this is the major problem with alot of what we do guys, is that the general public is misinformed by "Facts".

Just to touch base on it again, please dont use paper bags to dry/cure your herbs... paper bags are not sterile and depending on where you live, could end up really really really bad...

Dip Tupperware (sp?) dish in boiling water, dry it all the way with a clean sterile cloth, and then put your stuff in side of it, give it 16 hours of sun light, and the rest in a dark place... do this for about two weeks, when you crack that dish open, you will have a herbgasim it will be so good.

Trixer,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
tom, would a bag like this be appropriate in your opinion?

blaircandy_2079_104505635

jeffp,

Trixer

Those are good sizes, but please take extra careful steps to make sure they are clean and sterile if you plan on using them in any temperate environment (southern states, anything thats rainy most of the year) or else you WILL ruin your crop, this is the voice of experience speaking, it would be a shame to go through all that and then at the end not be able to smoke any of it....

Please use sterile containers, I can not stress this enough... I mean I suppose I could, but there probably would be others still that ignored me.

Trixer,

Frickr

from "Marijuana Horticulture The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible" by Jorge Cervantes, Chapter 5 page 90 first paragraph under curing reads:

"Curing allows buds to continue to dry slowly. The first week of curing affects potency in theat it evenly removes moisture within the bud so virtually all the THC is psychoactive. Curing also allows buds to dry enough that mold does not grow when buds are stored. Well-cured buds have an even glow when burned and smoke smooth."

and macbill if i am wrong in this please let me know. but i think his original intent with this post was to further dry already cured buds for vaping. So if the bud is already well cured, there is no reason why the brown paper bag wont work to help dry things out for consumption vrs drying for storage.

ive done a simular method of drying my buds for consumption by placing them inside a newspaper for a few hours. worked well. dried it out enough to where it vaped nice, but not to dry to just leave a powder.

Frickr,

lepstadder

if you dry for storage and it is in an airtight container then you will get mold

Curing effectively removes all the moisture slowly
"Curing allows buds to continue to dry slowly. The first week of curing affects potency in theat it evenly removes moisture within the bud so virtually all the THC is psychoactive. Curing also allows buds to dry enough that mold does not grow when buds are stored. Well-cured buds have an even glow when burned and smoke smooth."
This is 100% completely accurate information and is what i have been trying to say.

If the bud is dried improperly than the THC will not be converted and you can not get high off of it.

IT DOES NOT MAKE IT "MORE POTENT"

I only makes available what is already present

lepstadder,

Purple-Days

Damn, I knew going to bed last night this thread was doomed.

A fresh one from the stack at the hardware (they come in bundles, get one from down in the stack). The brown paper is formed at steam temperatures and is nearly sterile (rolled onto spools, big ass spools, trucked to a bah mfg. then tuned into bags 'hands free', almost never touched till the clerk opens them at the checkout counter). Been there, plenty of blue collar experience including a corrugated factory stint.

Purple-Days,

Frickr

if your using a glass jar, a large tub, or a small paper sack, fresh air is going to be needed to be applied. a microclimate is created in the container which you choose to use and this forces the moisture from the inside of the bud to be evenly distributed throughout the bud itself. the first few days of curing you need to open up the container and allow some of the moist air out and replace it with some new fresh dry air. if you lock a wet bud up in any kind of container you risk mold. even a plastic baggie rolled up can still harbor mold.

i can see advantages with using a paper bag for curing, as it will "suck" up the extra moisture in the air. helping to wick some of it away from the buds which would mean *less risk of mold vrs say a glass jar sealed air tight.

if care is used, i theorize that you wouldnt be able to tell the differance in potancy between a bud cured in a paper bag, compaired to a bud cured in a glass jar. although 2 differant methods, the end product will be the same - a well dried, well cured, bud.

before curing can take place, a fresh cut plant must be dried out. while most buds wil be dry enough for curing in 5-7 days, some larger buds may take an extra few days.

Frickr,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Frickr said:
and macbill if i am wrong in this please let me know. but i think his original intent with this post was to further dry already cured buds for vaping. So if the bud is already well cured, there is no reason why the brown paper bag wont work to help dry things out for consumption vrs drying for storage.
Indeed, that is what I intended, but I appreciate any new knowledge that comes my way. I've learned some interesting facts of which I was unaware.

macbill,

Trixer

lepstadder said:
if you dry for storage and it is in an airtight container then you will get mold

Curing effectively removes all the moisture slowly
This is 100% completely accurate information and is what i have been trying to say.

If the bud is dried improperly than the THC will not be converted and you can not get high off of it.

IT DOES NOT MAKE IT "MORE POTENT"

I only makes available what is already present
I guess what we cant seem to get through your head is that even though the bud has been clipped it continues to "produce", meaning that it makes more of these chemicals present for what I have examined for about 3 more days after it has been clipped maybe even longer. So regaurdless of if you think your correct, your not. More is produced during a proper curing cycle then if it was just cut and dried. The plant continues its metabolic cycles even after its been cut... User your mind man... use your mind!

The plant does indeed produce more after its been cut.. it does not just die and stop production there, as you seem to think from your posts... Maybe I am mis reading, or perhaps we are both argueing the same thing just from two different view points. I think whats going on here is your argueing that its not more potent because there are a limited number of resources at the time of its cutting, and what im trying to explain, is that if properly done all of these resources go to the yummies instead of just some of them... however saying that curing can effect potency but not make it more potent, as pointed out above was a completely terrible way to make your point... thats like saying the sky can make rain but not effect flooding..

Now what purple days brought up about the brown paper bags I did not know honestly, I just think of brown bags sitting in a super market, or like the ones posted above what they give you food in at a gas station.
So you might be more ok using them in some areas of the world then others, for instance my area.. its just not possible to much junk floating in the air, you can leave a piece of bread out for a day or two and its done for.

If any of you guys are electronically savey, I could post my pcb design for my curing station if you like, it handles everything from light timers to making sure humidity is right.. It needs a few sensor hook ups, and a fan.. I normally use a rubber maid container for it, and it works wonderfully.. Maybe that would be a good tutorial?

Trixer,

rayski

Trixer said:
I guess what we cant seem to get through your head is that even though the bud has been clipped it continues to "produce", meaning that it makes more of these chemicals present for what I have examined for about 3 more days after it has been clipped maybe even longer. So regaurdless of if you think your correct, your not. More is produced during a proper curing cycle then if it was just cut and dried. The plant continues its metabolic cycles even after its been cut... User your mind man... use your mind!
Dr Hornby says "We've recently discovered a phenomenon in growing an eight week plant. The THC peaks between weeks six and seven and it's about two or three points less at week eight as it is at week seven." (http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/4552.html
It's hard to understand how the plant stops producing THC before it's harvested because of the lack of nutrients while being flushed, as Dr Hornby says, but is able to produce THC after harvesting with no nutrients available, as you say.

rayski,

wthanna

The plant is not making something out of nothing. During a proper curing process (not too fast, will vary by strain), THC-A which is already in the fresh cut plant, is CONVERTED to THC. I don't know how to simplify this any further. If this conversion does not take place.. you will get less than optimal amounts of the THC you desire from your herb.

wthanna,

Trixer

wthanna said:
The plant is not making something out of nothing. During a proper curing process (not too fast, will vary by strain), THC-A which is already in the fresh cut plant, is CONVERTED to THC. I don't know how to simplify this any further. If this conversion does not take place.. you will get less than optimal amounts of the THC you desire from your herb.
This right here...

So lets recap boys and girls...

plant grows up to big healthy yummy looking plant.. plant is plucked, and metabolic cycles continue to turn the not so yummy stuff into the yummy stuff, and if proper care is taken then you have more yummy stuff...

So lets say we have a base line middle potency of the plant when it is simply clipped and dried.. nothing special just hung to dry... or whatever....

Now if you do something stupid like try to dry it in the microwave or in the oven then the potency goes down from this base line level...

However if you properly cure and care for the drying process, then the potency goes up from this base line because more of the chemicals can convert...

Ive seen stupid things take great plants and turn them to crap, and I have seen smart things take crap plants and make them pretty good... the fact of the matter is that no matter how much time you put into growing, if you don't take proper care at the end.. your harvest will be junk, if your lazy or impatient your harvest will be ok, and if your patient, smart and careful your harvest will be a bomb....

Rocket science? I think not...

Trixer,

lepstadder

dude for real.

It is not growing or PRODUCING anything

It CONVERTS what is already their.

This boys and girls is where YOU trixie are getting confused.

When you dry it and cure it properly it allows for more of the THC to be CONVERTED, not PRODUCED.

It is not continuing to PRODUCE thc.

I promise. scouts honor.

And still will eat my foot if you can PROVE me wrong.

I am not above being wrong, its just simple really and should never have turned into such a mess

lepstadder,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
SOunds like youg guys are arguing over semantics. It produces THC by converting it from THA.

I don't think Trixie was trying to say it makes something from nothing, plants don't do that, eveything plants produce is some sort of conversion.:2c:

:peace:

bluntfaced,
Top Bottom