"Dry Ice Kief" to ISO hash?

ctweips

I dont know if this is already an established process but I am very interested in doing a dry ice run on an ounce of high mids and using the dry ice sifted kief to make ISO hash. Would I be able to soak all of that dry ice kief in a certain amount of ISO then put it in a pyrex to evaporate as a means of turning dry ice hash to full melt ISO?

ctweips,

stroh

errl enthusiast
yeah, but filter it before pouring into the pyrex, the kief will still leave plant matter behind.

this was the results of my first kief ISO wash, i believe it was a 20 second soak, and it took awhile to filter through the coffee filter, so i estimate another 20-30 seconds to seep through completely. so far i haven't found a good way to strain the material from the alcohol for minimum soak time to reduce absorption of the plant matter, though i reckon a fill-able teabag would work

206412_1928448408714_1167321735_2344221_2618789_n.jpg

stroh,

ctweips

If you were to use really golden pure kief from the dry ice extraction couldnt you technically let it soak for a much longer time due to the absence of stem, bud, leaves, etc... because there will be such a relatively minuscule amount of plant matter to actually extract compared to an ISO wash with trimmings, bud, etc... This would go along with the assumption that the longer you soak, the more of the good stuff gets dissolved into the ISO.

*Edit: By the way that ISO hash looks incredible....

ctweips,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well If you wanna dissolve more than 50-60 % of the keif .. you better don't do it.. Cuz everything more than a quick soak is pointless cuz you goal is better purity..
The idea is to get more off the good stuff.. none/very little of the bad.. Not getting all of the good ;),

Abysmal Vapor,

ctweips

Well put Abysmal. With that being said I feel as if this would be an incredibly pure and potent after-product especially with the amount of kief I have in mind... :brow:

ctweips,
Yeah, this is kind of the idea that I had, of using kief to make oil. So from my understanding, we want the material to be in the solvent for the perfect amount of time for the trichome heads to ooze out their pressure oils, without dissolving all the ceulose and other plant materials. I think as soon as the reaction happens, the material should be quickly separated out with a fine filter. Permanent coffee filter, or maybe one of those industrial nylon- mono-filament mesh bags. Was thinking it shouldn.t be too fine, or else, your material will soak as it awaits going through the filter. So my idea is to use 2 filters. Maybe, first a 10um filter, then go down to 0.3um or 0.2 um, or whatever is so small that only oil can pass through, but no other particles.

SpinLover1,

ctweips

Yea I just saw your thread and Im definitely thinking along the same lines as you. Why not take the most pure starting material we can get in order to do our wash, with the hope of a very pure and potent oil? I feel as if you can get a much more consistently pure product using this method and most likely a yield consistant with the amount you use. Example being: 5g of kief to maybe 3-4g of oil. Anyone correct me if im wrong please.

ctweips,
Saw somewhere, maybe on another forum, and I dont remember the extraction technique, but the person claimed to get about 50% from kief. Im thinking this sounds right, for a two solvent extraction WITH winterizing - removing waxes and other plant materials.

This is what I want to do, the ideas come from others I should note. 1. use dry ice and tumbler to get kief. If I have time, Ill sieve it so that it is 120um to 40um. 2. use a non-polar solvent - hexane, mix, and drain through a permanent coffee filter. 3. after some time allowed for evaporation, add 190 proof, food grade, ethanol and freeze for 12 -24 hours. Pre filter through, I dont know, 10um filter. Then finaly filter the material through 0.2 um syringe filter. double boil until 90% of ethanol is gone, then vacuum purge and heat.

SpinLover1,
Reactions: 215z

CHEI

Medical Cannabis Inspector
^ Cool tech. Where do you get hexane? I'm in CA I think the ethanol (grain alcohol) is illegal here. And also what is the result and pics :lol: if you have any would be cool.

CHEI,
I was looking to acquire hexane in another country. But there are sources here. Saw it on Amazon infact, and I also think paint supply stores have it for some reason.

So, to acquire all my chemicals, I use the same lines, that I am doing a pilot scale, exploratory project, to do essential oil and absolutes extractions for the alternative medicine market. Its actually techniquely the truth.

SpinLover1,
Top Bottom