Dry Ice Kief/hash

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
Simple, fast, safe and not back breaking.
Shake, trim or buds broken up, whatever you prefer.
Sifting bag, obviously smaller the screen the higher quality. I have used a $1 paint straining bag and gotten an enjoyable product, certainly not full melt or blonde.
A pound or two of dry ice will go a long way. Put the herb and dry ice in a screen bag. Shake up and down, back and forth over a large clean mirror or picture frame/glass.
Scrape up kif with a card or something.
Do a few runs and of finer micron screen first or a just a few runs of same screen with increasing green as product breaks up further.

I enjoy vaping it.

Irie,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
This is a neat idea. What is the most effective ratio of stuff to dry ice? what do you do with the stuff that was leftover in the bag after its been shaken?

I think bubble bags would be great for this! They already have the screen built in.

notmyrealUSERname,

weedemon

enthusiast
notmyrealUSERname said:
I think bubble bags would be great for this! They already have the screen built in.

+1 to this

Also, where the heck can i get dry ice??

weedemon,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
just in case anyone was actually interested in this idea, check out
this thread on tc.

also, dry ice bags do exist: dry ice bags

finding dry ice isn't necessarily a big problem, its used for all sorts of legit reasons, however, its not usually used in the quantities that are required to 'dry sift'. i read somewhere that a guy was asking for some dry ice at the fishing bait store and when he told them he needed a few pounds they asked if he was doing a science experiment!

notmyrealUSERname,

Bouldorado

dry ice can be found at almost any super market. I bought some at a king soopers just the other day for this exact purpose.

Bouldorado,

weedemon

enthusiast
not here in canada. I have never seen it. unless you gotta ask for it at the counter or something?

i wish i was in the position to use a bubble bag sifter kit! i would love to try this! :)

weedemon,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Too true weedemon....... I've only managed to locate dry ice (after tons of inquiries) from Praxair locally. Man, it hurts payin $60 for the minimum package size of 3 kg.

smokum,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
In a major US metropolitan city, I searched online for dry ice. A few around about a 20 mile radius, closest happened to be a ice delivery company. Minimum sale of 6 pounds for $11.
Tasty product but very dependent on product and micron of screen as well as length of time you sift. Gets greener the longer you sift, obviously, as the leaf/bud breaks up.
By no means the "best" method. There is no best.
My latest batch was actually using a paint straining bag, not a very fine mesh. The product is better under flame than by log vape or mflb, IMO.

Hash! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Irie,

smokum

I just received a 1 gal dry ice extraction kit from KangaCan that seems pretty good. A little bit on the expensive side, but a specific quality and complete all in one kit.

And I disagree..... this IS the best method considering the effort required for TONS of kief, however for the best end product for a concentrate, further processing is necessary.

PEACE

smokum,

nr-cole

weedemon said:
not here in canada. I have never seen it. unless you gotta ask for it at the counter or something?

i wish i was in the position to use a bubble bag sifter kit! i would love to try this! :)

I'm from Kingston and we used some in a marketing photo shoot at work a few months back. I'll find out where we got it from.

nr-cole,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
smokum said:
And I disagree..... this IS the best method considering the effort required for TONS of kief, however for the best end product for a concentrate, further processing is necessary.

PEACE
Yeah, certainly the easiest, that's why I posted the thread, I was so excited compared to water hash, fast and no back breaking mess.
How do you further process? Finer micron sift? I have been wondering if it would be possible to whip it some, but really I just want to try making bho, but honestly, I am scared of butane.

Irie,

smokum

I think an ISO stir wash wld be easier, and is my intention to play with first. Up until now, I've only pressed it with a hand crank pollen press along with ground bud to get a more hash like consistency to vape with.

I will try an ISO and filter it further to a more finer concentrate @45 micron and try it on my HSG handpipe with a healthstone (I dry-ice bagged it in a 90 micron this time, but want to use a 190 bag and then play with some ISO with that).

With a ton more of easy to get kief, there are lots of potential further games to play with it. However, I think a bho attempt may too easily lead to a clogged filter and a blow out/back.

smokum,

nr-cole

nr-cole said:
weedemon said:

I'm from Kingston and we used some in a marketing photo shoot at work a few months back. I'll find out where we got it from.

Apparently any party supply store should carry it, especially since we're closing in on Halloween. It makes a great alternative to a fog machine (which was our use for it) when you drop it in water.

nr-cole,

weedemon

enthusiast
IAmKrazy2 said:
First off, took the dry ice kiefing suggestion. Oh my. Never seen so much in my life. I started with a 90 micron bag and have probally 4 grams of ultra blond and uber potent kief. Yummy. The other stuff, greener but still damn good 190 micron kief. Nothing like filling small glass jars with kief, wow.

breaking up kief does help thicken the hits on the pressed stuff. Bubble still works better, but is more of a mess then kief also. gets all gooey and sticky around bowl. I have almost as much kief as i do herb, so i'll for sure rip a lot in the next few days and report back.

Super interesting!

is this stuff equally as potent as what you get from the normal methods of extraction (water and ice i assume)?... but you are getting a better return on it? i'm asking because with the extreme cold temperatures of the dry ice i am wondering if any plant matter is getting broken up into a small enough particle size to get though on the screen? i know if i grind up stems in my grinder it looks like there is mad crystal in there, but i know it's really plant matter.

never done this method but it sounds really promising!

weedemon,

Irie

Chant Down Babylon
Depending on how long you process with the ice, you absolutely will be breaking up green matter and sifting that through.
I have found this technique works best with fresh trim rather than "bone" dry trim (or bud or whatever) due to it not breaking up the plant matter as fast when wet/moist.
I certainly haven't dialed this in yet but it is supremely easier!

Irie,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
The stuff I got from my 90 micron is damn good. But when using more of a work bag I'm sure to not sift too long and add in excess plant matter.

IAmKrazy2,

Bouldorado

smokum said:
Too true weedemon....... I've only managed to locate dry ice (after tons of inquiries) from Praxair locally. Man, it hurts payin $60 for the minimum package size of 3 kg.

holy shit. I pay ~$2 a lb. Must be different in canada, but here in the states you can get it at most supermarkets; just have to ask the cashier.

Bouldorado,

nr-cole

smokum said:

Woah! I'll have to double-check, but I'm pretty sure we paid $20 and got a cooler full of the stuff.

nr-cole,

Mr. Smoke No More

Can't stop the head rush!
I'm in Canada and got mine from praxair. First time a got like 3 lbs which they just gave me. Second time we got a cooler full for like 20 bucks. Which is half what I would pay for ice, to process less over a much longer (and wetter) period. Doubt ill ever do bubble again, eventhough some may argue it is possible to make slightly more pure product.
I found dry ice did not work nearly as well with fresh material. I found to get a more pure product, just don't go over kill on the dry ice. More ice works even faster but u have to be careful to cut your "A grade" run short so u don't get any plant matter in it. This was never a problem for me as the yield is so great cutting it short I would still get like 5 grams of A grade per run, plus 10 to 15 g per B grade run.

Mr. Smoke No More,

smokum

Nice !!!... wish my Praxair weren't such dicks about 3kg package qtys, lol

smokum,
Top Bottom