Dry Ice Kief/Hash Thread

snew

Sounds to me like you did a good job. Yield is good. Mine is very similar.
I use the 220 micro for all DI hash now. How hard you shake will determine the grade, you'll get a freer flow and no more green if your gentle. Now I'll assure you there is still kief left in that weed. Let it dry, refreeze and and do a QWISO wash and you'll get whats left. I don't think DI is as efficient as bubble but its a lot easier by hand. Personaly I think Matt Rize the best has process out there. If I could afford a small washing machine I would use his but method but that much hand agitation is a lot of work.

snew,

improv

Tried both the light blond kif and greener kif last night with superb results. I first layered some of the green kif(first some bud, then a small amount of kif and finally more bud, a kif sandwich as it were) and it added such potency that I had to take fewer hits and got WAY higher. And used far less herb than I usually do...about 1/2 the amount. The greener kif tasted fine and provided quite a kick but the blond kif took it up a level or 2...better taste and distinctly more potent. WOW am I impressed!
I hear you snew regarding further extraction but after the ease of DI extraction(and the awesome results), I'm good with the DI run. I also hear you regarding gentle shaking with a 220 bag but I'm interested in getting an even more potent, lighter blond, pure product and plan to order bags down to 73 microns just to verify whether or not it's more effective.
BTW my current rig: Solo with glass adapter through a Mobius Nano. I know everyone's about the Cloud(and I've pre-ordered) but I get HUGE, flavorful, potent hits from this set-up. I love this set-up unlike past vapes -- reg and dig volcanos, daBuddha, SSV, ExtremeQ, MFLB, PD, VaporGenie, all retired -- and have been 100% pleased with it.
DI extraction has me so stoked! Highly, highly recommended process.

improv,

improv

Meant to ask...how do folks store kif? Mine's in a glass jar but should I keep it at room temp, refridgerate, freeze, vac-seal or??? Any thoughts/ideas most appreciated.

improv,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Depends on how much you have and how quickly you will use it. Store it in an artight container away from light just like buds air and uv degrade the meds. If you have a way more then you can use in the next month or two you may way want store a large portion of it in an air tight container, away from light exposure in thr freezer. It will perserve this way for a LONG time if kept at the proper humidity some say it may store this way for decades possibly indefinitely.

Puffers,

improv

Thanks for the suggestions Puffers. Makes sense and that's exactly what I do with bud. As mentioned, I extracted a LOT! For me anyhow....11G and 3+G of very blond/super potent and slightly green but still quite potent respectively. If last night's session was any indication, a 1/2 OZ of this kif where I just add a pinch to some bud will last quite some time. The only downside to this experience so far would seem to be increased tolerance issues. I suppose I'll be able to manage. :p

improv,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
No problem man. Yes for some of us (me included haha) cannabis is like money the more you got the more you consume. You might want to throw like 80% in the freezer and keep a cpl grams around to spike bowls, depending on your consumption of course. I do the same with my flowers. I dont freeze because i go through my stash in a bout 3 months on average but i keep all but about a weeks worth of flowers in a mason jar in a cupboard. To somewhat minimize exposure.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Strains do have an effect on color. The vast majority of top level kief is blonde. But, certain strains like Apollo13 and Third Dimension have a slightly red hint on top level kief. I'm sure there are others. I have also seen almost white kief from a local hybrid. Tasted very top knotch.

Best kief will come from dry extraction no DI. Top kief can be rolled between the fingers and turns to an almost rock hard hash just using your bodies own heat and a little pressure.

IAmKrazy2,

snew

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I tried smaller micron bags. And I found that the leaf started breaking up before the kief could pass through. It starts to clog a bit on me. That actually what made me start trying the quick rinse afterward.
Thanks for telling me about your solo. I've been contemplating getting one but its a bit more than I can spring right now. I'm using an herbalaire but had to send it for repair. Hoping to hear from them soon. So I'm smoking a lot of kief right now my self.

snew,

Tuck

I have used this homemade sifter with Dry Ice: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/cheap-easy-to-make-kief-sifter.5301/

It works really well. Unfortunately, I don't know what micron the bag was. A google search suggested it's 160micron but I'm not really sure. It was a $6 nylon hops bag from a local brewing supply store and the microns weren't listed on the bag. Anyways, I got about 1.5g golden kief from 10g of bud and I got about 1g from 7g of bud. I vaped the rest of the 7g. I decarbed the 10g and threw it in with my abv and made some brownies for a music festival.

There's no point in grinding your bud. The dry ice is going to pulverize it. I've experienced the clogging and I just agitate my bag with a spoon to try to press it through. The nice part about using the mason jar is I can move the mouth of the jar to a clean part of my filter bag if it becomes too bad.

Do you guys press it or keep it as kief? I've done both now and I'm not sure which I like better.

Tuck,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Do you guys press it or keep it as kief? I've done both now and I'm not sure which I like better.

I prefer to keep it loose. I currently have 7 grams of pressed hash/kief, but it's hard for me to work with. I have to cut it up with a razor blade, and that's hard for me to do with my Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Vicki,
Reactions: Tuck
i like it loose too. For pressed kief or lumps of harvest hash i use a ss microplane grater/zester thing, shreds it nicely and your fingertips too if you aren't careful- those fuckers are sharp!

thevapedcrusader,
Reactions: Tuck

snew

I keep mine loss also. I see no need to press it and then cut it up either Vicky. Tuck I like your set up there it would be real nice for a small amount like that. Sounds like you should be getting nice clean kief also with that amount.

improv

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I tried smaller micron bags. And I found that the leaf started breaking up before the kief could pass through. It starts to clog a bit on me. That actually what made me start trying the quick rinse afterward.
Thanks for telling me about your solo. I've been contemplating getting one but its a bit more than I can spring right now. I'm using an herbalaire but had to send it for repair. Hoping to hear from them soon. So I'm smoking a lot of kief right now my self.

Since your other DI suggestions worked so well for me, I'm going to take your advice and stick with 190/220 bags. Gentle shaking it is.
Regarding the Solo, Puffitup has a special going....$160! Here's the link:
http://puffitupnews.blogspot.com/2012/05/bender-likes-arizer-solo.html
If you decide to buy one, I would suggest this from the good folks at Planetvape:
http://www.planetvape.ca/solo-ground-glass-on-glass-adapter.html
This mates perfectly to my Nano but they have other sizes as well. Here are some very reasonably priced glass pieces from them as well:
http://www.planetvape.ca/vaporizer-accessories/glass/water-tools.html

improv,

snew

I don't think you need to be told Improv but some might over look it. Don't forget to clean your bags. I use the same alcohol that I use later to rinse my weed after making DI hash. my bags sometimes get real gunky so its worth the time both for what I salvage when I rinse and improvements in yield on the next run.

snew,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I need to stop being lazy and find a dry ice dealer (yeah its like that here in MA) so I can try this. For the time being I have to use my sifter box though. I can't really afford enough bud to make it worth it right now :/

darkrom,

snew

I wouldn't do it if I didn't have trim available cheap. It could get real expensive.

snew,

snew

I understand. I could never afford to buy good bud to make hash but if you have the money then do it. It will have a higher yield. maybe 7 grams to an ounce, maybe of the highest quality that bud can produce.

snew,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I understand. I could never afford to buy good bud to make hash but if you have the money then do it. It will have a higher yield. maybe 7 grams to an ounce, maybe of the highest quality that bud can produce.

Hmmm 7 grams to an oz. Thats some expensive kief at $50 a gram lol. Might be worth it once in a while.

darkrom,

snew

If you look at you weed with a large enough magnifying glass or small microscope the you'll see the see the trichomes like little mushrooms on the surface. Thats the hash, everything else extra well contaminates as far has the hash is concerned. So to get 7 grams has you can see would mean even that is going to have plant matter in it. Trichomes are very sticky so the dry ice freezes the trichomes and their less sticky and easier to be removed. The dry ice also makes the plant matter brittle and begin to break apart. Lots of people shake the crap out of the weed and claim to get much more but its just plant matter mixed in.

snew,

quentin123

While the potency may be restricted to the trichomes, what about the flavor?
Imagine running an ounce of high grade skunk, and shaking it through until you have a half ounce of greenish powder, think how awesomely tasty that will be as well as being twice as potent as the original ounce. Personally, I like high grade kief but massively prefer the slightly lower grade, more plant matter-ish stuff that comes out of my coffee grinder. Its just so delightfully fruity.

I'm just waiting til the end of the month to get bubble bags and then I've got several ounces of trim/small buds that needs shaken out, I'll probably do a couple of runs, try shaking it up differently. I'll definitely post my results here.

quentin123,
Reactions: darkrom

snew

I'm just trying to inform people how to make the most potent hash. Everyone has to decide what the want. Me I want great tasting, extremely potent hash to vape less and increase my pain relief so thats my goal. But everyone has to decide what they want. Looking forward to your report.

quentin123

Well everyone, we had an outrageous amount of rain here, like nothing I've ever seen before. I got unlucky and my cellar flooded, destroying about 5 ounces of sugar leaf and lower buds I was gonna' dry ice up and see what it yielded. . . I guess I'll find out how good this is next time. . .

quentin123,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well everyone, we had an outrageous amount of rain here, like nothing I've ever seen before. I got unlucky and my cellar flooded, destroying about 5 ounces of sugar leaf and lower buds I was gonna' dry ice up and see what it yielded. . . I guess I'll find out how good this is next time. . .

:( Sorry to hear that.

darkrom,
Top Bottom