Dry Ice Kief/Hash Thread

darkrom

Great Scott!
I noticed there seems to be no real info about using dry ice to extract kief/hash. I plan on testing this out myself really soon. Already got my larger sifter box.

Simple and high yield. I wonder why this is not more common?

SD_haze

I suspect a lot of california dispensaries do dry ice kief, since you can turn pounds of shake into great kief in just a few minutes.

I've actually never seen it done with a tiny sifter box, just with a big bucket & a bubble bag. Personally, I don't have a bubble bag (or a sifter yet ~_~) so I've yet to try it personally, but I've definitely recommended it to a lot of friends who do.

I really like this video because you can so clearly see how it makes different grades of kief right before your eyes.

darkrom

Great Scott!
That video is one of the ones that had me saying "THAT MUCH KIEF!?"

I figure for my personal use though a sifter box is going to be best. I'm using fresh buds not trim when I try this. I need to find some dry ice first.

darkrom,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

SD_haze

That video is one of the ones that had me saying "THAT MUCH KIEF!?"

I figure for my personal use though a sifter box is going to be best. I'm using fresh buds not trim when I try this. I need to find some dry ice first.

Using actual buds also came to mind to me, seems like it would work just as well, if not even better.

The buds would probably need to be broken up though...question is, a coarse grind from a typical metal "bud buster" or a fine grind from a coffee grinder :hmm:

SD_haze,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm going to test it with a 1/4 of unground buds. Then I'll test 1/4 of the same buds but ground in a TI space case (2 pc to not rob kief).

darkrom,

Kief

Medicated
I've actually never seen it done with a tiny sifter box, just with a big bucket & a bubble bag. Personally, I don't have a bubble bag (or a sifter yet ~_~) so I've yet to try it personally, but I've definitely recommended it to a lot of friends who do.
Ditto ^

I've seen it done with a bubble bag and bucket and can't wait to try it myself. I'd think you would get more of a bubble hash than kief, or maybe something in between... anyone know from experience?

It does seem like it could be the easiest and fastest way to make hash - http://boldtbags.com/shakerkit.html + Dry Ice + Shake the fuck out of it = Hash. Some may cure it, but I think that's all there is to it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kief,

quentin123

I will most certainly be trying this in about 3-4 weeks. You can buy dry ice online although I've only seen it available in large 10kg boxes. I'm in the UK though and I think its much more available in the US. I have also been told that most butchers stock dry ice.

Personally I would probably grind it up. Although I think that as you shake it and it gets colder and becomes brittle it breaks it up as well. As you can see in that video the two grades of kief indicate that plant matter is being broken down small enough to pass through the bag so grinding may not be 100% necessary. Pure speculation as I've not tried this yet.

quentin123,

tig420

ice cream shops tend to have dry ice i can get it at Baskin robbins

tig420,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Apparently in Massachusetts you need a dry ice dealer to be able to buy it. I'm not joking either, there are approved dealers is my understanding. Sucks but I'll find it. I'm sure putting the whole sifter box with bud already in it in the freezer for 24 hrs would work, but I'd wager dry ice will work even better.

darkrom,

Venomous

That's badass, I wish I had access to those trimmings and shake. If you grind it up with a typical grinder, you will get some nice kief out of it. I grinded a 1/4 ounce of nn cured weed last week. I then tossed it into my new shaker box and got a lot of kief out of it. I've also tossed whole buds into th box and didn't get the same amount of kief.

Venomous,

snew

This is not a good example of how to Dry Ice Hash. DI will break material down really fast. What you saw there was not a giant pile of quality kief but kief and pulverized green matter. Do not break material up small. I freeze it an simply break it apart with my hands. I use a 220 micron bag, 5 gallon bag and 1-1½ ozs no more. I don't shake you material before hand in a bucket, when the kief starts separating from the leaf you want it to be able to begin moving down and through the large holes.
Hold the bag close to the surface, it rally spreads out, there would have been material all over the floor shaking like that. shake very gently. move slowly across the table. You will see the color becoming greener real quick if you shake hard. The green is not kief it is plant matter in the kief.
After about 3 grams you will begin getting plant matter with trim. If you do large lots you will you 'll get more green matter. Remember there is no water pushing the kief through.
There will be kief in the bag with the plant material when you done. If will be very fine powder though out. If you keep shaking you get more stuff but not clean kief. After I am done with the DI I let the trim dry very well. Save it until I made a few runs and the do a alcohol extract. I get a little oil from that. But thats another story.
DI hash can be very nice but the key is gentle.
Good Luck

This is regarding the bag and bucket method I have not tried another with DI.

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well I plan on using more like 1/2 oz unground buds maybe broken into small buds by hand. Throw in dry ice and shake. TBH I'd be ok with some plant matter in it and an increased yield I think. I have no access to concentrates where I live so more "good hash" would be better than a little "better hash" in my case I believe. But I understand why you make that valid point. Coming from no concentrates, weaker ones might even be a better idea. Why shoot the tolerance up faster than I need?

Great addition to the thread. This is why I'm glad I asked this here.

darkrom,

snew

That's great if it works for you. Most people when they go to all of this trouble do not want simply ground up pot. But what ever works works. I do more than a 1/2 oz, but I've found it faster and more efficient to keep batch sizes small and then do multiple batches than one large batch.

snew,

2clicker

Observer
does the strain quality make any difference in the kiefs color?

or is there a way to determine the quality of kief just from looking at it...?

i ask because i have access to some and just can tell if it is worth it or not. what do i look/smell/taste in a quality kief?

2clicker,

SD_haze

does the strain quality make any difference in the kiefs color?

or is there a way to determine the quality of kief just from looking at it...?

i ask because i have access to some and just can tell if it is worth it or not. what do i look/smell/taste in a quality kief?

There's a number of ways to tell quality kief. Basically, you're looking for the kief with the least amount of plant matter.

Generally, the greener/browner it is, the more the plant matter. The best kief is a white/bright gold.
Another trick is that the very best kief will actually melt if you smoke it just gradually with a flame.

Kief can also look resinous, which is definitely a good sign.

Just like with bud, the stronger it smells the fresher/higher quality it should be.

But, at the end of the day, try one hit off of it sober and that'll give you a real good idea on its actual potency.

2clicker

Observer
There's a number of ways to tell quality kief. Basically, you're looking for the kief with the least amount of plant matter.

Generally, the greener/browner it is, the more the plant matter. The best kief is a white/bright gold.
Another trick is that the very best kief will actually melt if you smoke it just gradually with a flame.

Kief can also look resinous, which is definitely a good sign.

Just like with bud, the stronger it smells the fresher/higher quality it should be.

But, at the end of the day, try one hit off of it sober and that'll give you a real good idea on its actual potency.

makes sense. i need to take a closer look next time im there. i may pick some up.

2clicker,

Venomous

I've for some greenish gold kief which came mainly from some of kush. It knocks me on my ass adding it to the top of my elbow pack. I'm not questioning quality based on on color... More curious how potent really good kief is.

Venomous,

snew

The green in your kief is plant matter. The more green the less kief by ratio. The quality is first determined by product you are starting with, secondly by how well the keif is separated from the plant. Any of these methods will work but a but when people start saying I got 14 grams from an oz. Sorry it not hash its not keif it will be more concentrated than the orginal product but its not hash. I get about 3-4 grams of great keif and a couple of grams with a little green (I use for cooking). This is with good quality bud and trim. I then do a QWISO to get any remaining THC. I get maybe a 1/2 gram per oz at this point. With these two methods I feel I get good clean oil/hash. If you want great hash there will not be much.
If when using Dry Ice Method you shake so hard that the green is already breaking up. There will be kief trapped in the bag that will not shake through.

snew,
Reactions: darkrom

darkrom

Great Scott!
The green in your kief is plant matter. The more green the less kief by ratio. The quality is first determined by product you are starting with, secondly by how well the keif is separated from the plant. Any of these methods will work but a but when people start saying I got 14 grams from an oz. Sorry it not hash its not keif it will be more concentrated than the orginal product but its not hash. I get about 3-4 grams of great keif and a couple of grams with a little green (I use for cooking). This is with good quality bud and trim. I then do a QWISO to get any remaining THC. I get maybe a 1/2 gram per oz at this point. With these two methods I feel I get good clean oil/hash. If you want great hash there will not be much.
If when using Dry Ice Method you shake so hard that the green is already breaking up. There will be kief trapped in the bag that will not shake through.

I'm looking for medium potency ( a little plant matter is ok) but overall I want kief. Anyone saying they got 14 grams out of an oz is crazy since it will be a LOT of plant matter. I'm shooting for more like 5-6 ideally. I'd imagine that will still be significantly stronger than bud and will work nice to spice up the occasional bowl.

darkrom,

snew

Then start very gentle. Get the great stuff, then shake a little harder gradually don't start out shaking hard like that guy did or you'll mess up a lot of good hash.

snew,
Reactions: darkrom

darkrom

Great Scott!
Then start very gentle. Get the great stuff, then shake a little harder gradually don't start out shaking hard like that guy did or you'll mess up a lot of good hash.

Thanks man. In a no concentrate area "crappy" hash is like leaps and bounds above only plant matter though!

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
It's not my goal to make crappy hash. I am simply saying that hash with SOME plant matter in it will result in more weight. That means if I want to top off a bowl with some kief I can pull this stuff out. It will be stronger than a bowl with no kief.

I'd prefer a large number of times with some extra kick than a small number of times with a HUGE kick.

darkrom,

improv

I've never done any kind of extraction but when I learned of the dry ice method, I decided to do a run. I used a total of 2 1/2 - 3 OZ's of trim/leaf/shake/bud. After viewing many tutorials, I ordered bags(220 and 190 micron), purchased some dry ice and.....wow! That was too easy. Results? First run through the 190 micron bag yielded 11G of blond kif. Ran it again and got another 4G but this time it was significantly greener so I ended the extraction there. I'll try both and report on effects.
Some observations: glad I went with the 190 bag and next time will go down to 160 or lower. I'm not interested in quantity, it's quality I'm after. Naturally, using a 220 bag and shaking longer and harder will yield far more for those more interested in quantity. FYI, I've seen someone use a 73 micron bag with excellent results. Props to snew as I tried the run w/o first shaking everything and when I flipped to do the extraction, I was gentle. And, as per his suggestion, I just broke everything up with my fingers, not too fine. Also, I kept the material in the freezer until extraction time. Sure enough....very light blond kif. As I started shaking hard, out came the green.
Gonna try some of that blond kif later....should prove interesting.
Thanks to darkrom for starting this thread which provided the kick in the ass I needed.

Top Bottom