Driving whilst high

fidget

Before I cross that polite threshold...

...I pose a question.

Do you think I am going to waste my time trying to convince someone on the Internet that my actions were correct for me?

You clearly have no other motives than pointing fingers, what type of response do you expect?

...now if you excuse yourself, while I wait on a real reply.

Thanks.

You crossed the polite threshold in your last post.
So do you get instantly high or not?
If not then you continued to drive while feeling too high and knowing you were going to be higher.
It's not big and it's not clever.

fidget,

woolspinner

You know what I normally like about FC? Lack of drama. This thread is coming perilously close to being a flamefest.

Maybe, mods, it might be time to close this thread, since I think enough people have had time to state their opinions and if anyone wants to get a cross-section view, they can VIEW this thread, read the various opinions and make their own informed decision?

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I would hate to close this thread as it has been an interesting read so far. However, when personal attacks start, then the usefulness of the thread diminishes and only becomes a shit-fest.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

-some dude

:peace:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
You crossed the polite threshold in your last post.
So do you get instantly high or not?
If not then you continued to drive while feeling too high and knowing you were going to be higher.
It's not big and it's not clever.
Who said it was big or clever?

I don't get high instantly, but I have been exclusively vaping long enough to know MY limits. I don't need others to impose their limits on me.

Why are you asking these questions?
What is your motive?
2lc4cgj.jpg

Our little talk has motivated a morning drive.

2lc4cgj.jpg

WakeAndVape,
Reactions: Jherst

GetLeft

Sorry @Stu and @grokit; the video I referenced in my last post was thanks to Stu.

Another case of one of those sacrificed peripheral details as I focused on the important task at hand
:)

GetLeft,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
We're not everybody's policeman or self conscious. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, make your statement and why and move on. No personal attacks please. Be respectful above all else. Folks will make their own decision about what they decide is best for themselves. Please don't decide for others.

If you are a seasoned cannabis user you can handle yourself differently that a new person to the herb. I will decide what is best for me.

EDIT
I don't belong to any social media because it's mean and spiteful. I chose FC because of the nice karma that's going on here. Don't disturb our positive karma.

Last edited:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
*DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, IM A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL*

I just took a hour and 45 minute road trip...

Took a few dabs before I left home.
Vaped 3 full sessions with the crafty until it died (15 minutes each at 405°F)
A half bowl in the pax2 until it died
I also took 2 (additional) dabs (no torch) one at the beginning and one at the end

After the 2nd bowl in the crafty I almost thought I was too baked, but the 3rd bowl did little to the level I was already on

I drove mostly freeway with some stop and go and bridge traffic.

In the beginning I was driving 80-90 mph to keep up with the flow of traffic.

After that 3rd bowl I started driving 65 mph (the speed limit) just because I was thinking 'What's the rush'

Did vaping make me more responsible?

Also should note there were multiple police on the road, so I assume they thought I was driving okay too.

I am in no way condoning others drive high too.

I am merely suggesting that all of our brains process things differently.
My cannabis use does not affect my motor skills when on the road, to a degree I can't contol.

If I did feel too impaired, I value my life enough to pull over until safe.

My peripheral vision was fine too

This was a single controlled experiment, preformed by someone who wants to see REAL debate.

Speculation is meant for movies such as 'Reefer Madness'

Everything that's truth has proof.
Here is a little of mine.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone.
If it does I apologize in advance.
If you have some personal insight to share regarding my actions, talk WITH me not AT me :peace:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I've been wondering when this thread would become more....'passionate'. It's a testament to FC and the folks who frequent it that it took this long for a topic like this to heat up to near combustible levels without turning the discussion to ashes.

I have resisted 'liking' responses where the person's response disagreed with my own and I've learned via FC that I shouldn't fan the flames. I simultaneously tried to convey the feeling that my own viewpoint on driving high is based on having to live with myself, my recent adventure where I learned I don't always know when I'm too high to drive and my proclivity for self-guilt. I drove high for 4 decades without an accident or incident and just recently changed my perspective without a incident being the catalyst for the change. BUT these are my realities and I don't have the right to force them on someone else.

We each make our own decisions and take action based on those decisions. We each must take responsibility for those actions and accept the consequences for those actions. "IF" those actions affect others negatively, or even injure others, we owe them and society a debt. May each person act publicly with the benefit of others high in the decision making tree. For most it means not driving while impaired. Impairment for some may happen after one hit. For others it requires a much larger than normal consumption for them to feel impaired. Just because being impaired is a normal, every-day state for some, it doesn't make them safer.

The bottom line is do what you want and bear any consequences that may accrue. Peace out.

Jherst

I'd have to take a bunch of dabs and vape multiple bowls before I was at the point where I felt "too high" to drive, and even at that point I highly doubt I would be any more "impaired" than someone driving on low sleep.

I would bet anything that the people staying up late every night and waking up at 6 am for their jobs are a MUCH greater threat to others safety than anyone with a tolerance for cannabis who has used some prior to driving.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Let us consider this issue in a medical context as well. Some of us truly use cannabis medically and can't help but drive after vaping. It is legal to drive while under the influence of opiates, amphetamines, and many other controlled substances as long as they are legally prescribed and you are using them responsibly.

If we are going to legalize cannabis for medical use we need to confront the reality that some of us will need to drive after consuming it.

I have been driving while using cannabis for decades, and never been in an accident while under the influence. I have only been in a few minor accidents and every one I was completely sober.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If I've just had a small amount of cannabis I can drive and I am very careful without any problems. I have a tolerance unlike people that only use cannabis once in a while. It comes down to the individual and how responsible and careful they are while medicated.

If you are an irresponsible person to begin with then you will be the same while medicated. Or you might jut decide to take a nap.

Last edited:

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
It is legal to drive while under the influence of opiates, amphetamines, and many other controlled substances as long as they are legally prescribed and you are using them responsibly.

No offense ment, but I disagree, you are not to drive or operate heavy equipment while medicated on pills either. Cops ask because it's a DUI here.

MoltenTiger

One of the few positive counterparts to the legal restraints on cannabis consumption (in Australia at least) is the sheer lack of policing of high drivers.
Driving stoned is the life.
Been all over Tassie and up the east coast of Aus blazing it, and I really fucking heavily recommend doing so whilst it's as easy as it is!
10/10 will do again.
I once took a wrong turn (foreign city) and ended up driving on top of our parliament house at a 7. I was so happy about it and its a feeling I enjoy recalling.
Driving is probably my most enjoyed productive activity whilst baked.

Interestingly, even after an amount of alcohol I'm allowed to have (<0.05 BAC) I notice myself making half arsed decisions and have a tendency of speeding irrationally whilst drink driving. I don't drive if I'm feeling the effects, regardless of the chemical, because my alcohol tolerance allows me to be wasted behind a wheel legally.
Driving on psychedelics is a whole 'nother bag of nup.
Away from lights it's majestic, get to inner city and I start redesigning traffic lights because I can't understand the thousands of green and red dots I'm seeing mirroring themselves in front of me.
I'll never be doing this again after, another time, another location, mushrooms and not 'cid, I lost control trying to avoid a bunch of possums on the road that may or not have been there.
It's a bad idea.

After a driving cone, I am more respective on the road and am far from my usual offensive driving habits. I drive more carefully because I have SO MUCH more patience.
It takes some kind of desensitisation to cannabinoids, but I benefit from using them whilst driving because it makes me safer on the road, less angry in the car and I enjoy the experience a whole heap more.
The only thing that makes it better is a bunch of mates passing a billy, or a sunroof.
If anyone has a sunroof, and a safe space to do so, get ripped, chuck on cruise and stand up.
Fuck yeah that's living.

MoltenTiger,

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
I visited the gun rage to shoot some rounds this weekend and oddly enough, I got the deepest gut feeling that I shouldn't vape right before I went in.

I listened and it was all good, now maybe that's because I never get high and shoot...

Or maybe knowing the risks and the fact I'm no firearms expert outweighed my need to get high.

Driving does not provoke the same cautiousness

EverythingsHazy

I visited the gun rage to shoot some rounds this weekend and oddly enough, I got the deepest gut feeling that I shouldn't vape right before I went in.

I listened and it was all good, now maybe that's because I never get high and shoot...

Or maybe knowing the risks and the fact I'm no firearms expert outweighed my need to get high.

Driving does not provoke the same cautiousness
That's interesting, because driving is much more dangerous than shooting at a gun range. Unless you are inebriated as fuck, or go crazy, and intentionally shoot people, I doubt you'd hurt more than 1 person, if anyone at all, at a gun range, if you made a mistake. When you are driving, making a mistake can easily kill 1-10+ people (2 full cars) in a split second.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
That's interesting, because driving is much more dangerous than shooting at a gun range. Unless you are inebriated as fuck, or go crazy, and intentionally shoot people, I doubt you'd hurt more than 1 person, if anyone at all, at a gun range, if you made a mistake. When you are driving, making a mistake can easily kill 1-10+ people (2 full cars) in a split second.
True, but I drive EVERY DAY.
Shoot maybe a few times a YEAR...
...I hope you see the difference...:myday:

And how do split second fatal accidents happen? Inebriated, tired, distracted, upset, or medicated drivers.
Mechanical failures, extreme road conditions, ect...

I think I should just stay inside...the world is a scary place! :tinfoil:

I'm more likely to die in America from being a black male, than I would be from
Driving a car at fatal speeds while high
With a car full of people...If we're talking split second decisions that end life.
(Other cars don't materialize out of thin air)

These fear tactics are damn near 'orwellian' :lol:

Last edited:

just_the_flu

they say im crazy but i have a good time
...if anything being high improves my driving ONLY because i will drive closer to the speed limit ( i like speed if I'm not really baked) and i feel I'm more aware of my surroundings because i'm high and that's what happens lol.

If you are an irresponsible person to begin with then you will be the same while medicated.

i will only assume everyone on FC is like me... that is "being high" isn't really a "thing" it's part of normal life. That being said IMO Vaping before driving is no different than drinking a coffee or having a cigarette(I've never smoked tobacco- going off other's experiences) the effects are not "impairing" as alcohol, or even edibles for most people....

.... and it's in my nature to give people the benefit of the doubt: I assume no one get's behind the wheel knowing their putting themselves in danger! That's like lighting a match after taking a shower in gas:D
... come to think of it, nature has her way of weeding out the weak and stupid....:ninja:

:peace:

EverythingsHazy

People who say being high makes them obey the rules more shouldn't be driving at all. You have to obey the rules regardless. Just because you break less rules when you are high doesn't mean you should be driving at all. You shouldn't be breaking rules period.

And even with a high tolerance, it IS impairing. Regardless what people think it's not like a cigarette. It's not even like a coffee.

It's probably not as bad as alcohol, but not as clear as sober, either.

theCerberus

People who say being high makes them obey the rules more shouldn't be driving at all. You have to obey the rules regardless. Just because you break less rules when you are high doesn't mean you should be driving at all. You shouldn't be breaking rules period.

And even with a high tolerance, it IS impairing. Regardless what people think it's not like a cigarette. It's not even like a coffee.

It's probably not as bad as alcohol, but not as clear as sober, either.

Ugh, theres really one argument here on the negative side and its not being addressed, its just being guilt tripped to hell without any scientific evidence or statistical proof.

Your logic is flawed and it is obvious.

The majority of the public is sober and speeds on the road everyday, there is even a tolerable limit to the amount you can speed aka "break the rules" and get away with it.

Cops wont even pull you over for 10-20km/s over depending on the road.

There is an allowable limit for blood alcohol thats anywhere from 0.08-0.05 BAC depending on where you live.

The fact there is an acceptable limit for alcohol, means absolute sobriety is NOT the rule of the road.
And you admit its not as bad as alcohol.

Really all were talking about here is Impairment vs Intoxication.

Many people drive while smoking cigarettes.
Cigarette smoking in large amounts can have an intoxicating effect.
I dont smoke cigarettes and smoking large amounts would have an impairing effect on me so much that I could not drive.
But daily users have no such impairment.

Many people drive while drinking coffee
Coffee in large amounts can have an intoxicating effect.
I dont drink coffee and large amounts would have an impairing effect on me so much that I could not drive.

Daily users of any substance know how it effects them.
Now think twice before you guilt trip...

Impaired driving on any substance is wrong.
But It is NOT wrong to use the adage "know how the substance effects you before driving".
Thats the pharmaceutical answer and cannabis is medicine.

And yes, stoned drivers are more cautious. follow the speed limits. come to full stops....
the general public doesnt do that...
if daily medical users dont feel impaired and arent showing up in statistics as accidents, you dont really have the right to accuse them of being a problem.

Last edited:

EverythingsHazy

Ugh, theres really one argument here on the negative side and its not being addressed, its just being guilt tripped to hell without any scientific evidence or statistical proof.

Your logic is flawed and it is obvious.

The majority of the public is sober and speeds on the road everyday, there is even a tolerable limit to the amount you can speed aka "break the rules" and get away with it.

Cops wont even pull you over for 10-20km/s over depending on the road.

There is an allowable limit for blood alcohol thats anywhere from 0.08-0.05 BAC depending on where you live.

The fact there is an acceptable limit for alcohol, means absolute sobriety is NOT the rule of the road.
And you admit its not as bad as alcohol.

Really all were talking about here is Impairment vs Intoxication.

Many people drive while smoking cigarettes.
Cigarette smoking in large amounts can have an intoxicating effect.
I dont smoke cigarettes and smoking large amounts would have an impairing effect on me so much that I could not drive.

Many people drive while drinking coffee
Coffee in large amounts can have an intoxicating effect.
I dont drink coffee and large amounts would have an impairing effect on me so much that I could not drive.

Daily users of any substance know how it effects them.
Now think twice before you guilt trip...

Impaired driving on any substance is wrong.
But It is NOT wrong to use the adage "know how the substance effects you before driving".
Thats the pharmaceutical answer and cannabis is medicine.

And yes, stoned drivers are more cautious. follow the speed limits. come to full stops....
the general public doesnt do that...
if daily medical users dont feel impaired and arent showing up in statistics as accidents, you dont really have the right to accuse them of being a problem.

Comparing the impairment level of cigarettes or coffee to weed is just conveniently ignoring that there is a big difference. While alcohol may be worse than weed in terms f impairment, weed is closer to alcohol than it is to either cigarettes or coffee.

People feel they drive better on a lot of psychoactive substances. Doesn't mean they are correct. Some people even think they can drive just fine if not a little more relaxed on alcohol. They are wrong.

Just because weed is accepted around here doesn't mean that everyone's opinion on doing something that can harm others has to be agreed with. If I got hit by someone who was buzzed on anything, I'd make sure it was brought up in the law suit.

If you want to get baked until you're cross eyed and then go snowboarding or mountain biking alone, go ahead. You only risk killing yourself. If you are going to drive on a road I might be on, I would hope the cops catch you and revoke your license before you hit a kid who runs out into the street because you are hyper focused on obeying the speed limit and reading signs.

If it came down to a vote, I'd be all for serious punishment for buzzed/high driving.

TLDR
People's judgement isn't enough. Some daily drinkers feel fine driving too, if not better because of being more calm, but they aren't.

theCerberus

Comparing the impairment level of cigarettes or coffee to weed is just conveniently ignoring that there is a big difference. While alcohol may be worse than weed in terms f impairment, weed is closer to alcohol than it is to either cigarettes or coffee.

Ugh.
Again with the emotional crap.
Why cant you accept these drugs have intoxicating effects?

its well sourced that sleep deprivation can cause impairment worse than alcohol.
yet you probably shrug off sleepy drivers too.

Look if you've never smoked a cigarette in your life and you smoke 2 or 3 they have a huge head rush effect with a couch lock and dizziness to boot.

Never tried smoking in high school? the first few times are really hard hitting before you know your limit or gain a tolerance.

I know for a fact I wouldnt be able to drive and would be impaired from large amounts of cigarette smoke, because I dont smoke, but I dont go guilt tripping the people who do it, because I know they have built tolerance and trust they know how the drug effects them.

Top Bottom