Driving whilst high

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@h3rbalist - Thanks for the mention! I couldn't agree more with you that this thread can cause a bunch of introspective personal review and most certainly has for me as well...... along with other threads like it and FC in general.

The 'FC in general' aspect is due to the FC requirement that we treat each other with respect even when we disagree because without that I think discussions like this would eventually turn ugly in debate where nobody learns anything, including about themselves.

Wanted to mention something else about driving high or drunk....this is something I've observed in myself and may not pertain to others but....
Many years ago when I've been noticeably high or drunk I'd have a few cups of coffee to 'wake me up and snap me out of it'. The old joke comes to mind about using coffee/caffeine this way and 'Being the most wide awake drunk in the room'. I noticed that caffeine to counteract a good MJ buzz didn't wake me up at all - It just made me jittery, jerky, more paranoid and more likely to move too quickly. I overdid the caffeine in an effort to snap out of it and it made things worse.

GetLeft

I'm going to hell...

Nah. I don't think so.

@Quote captures things nicely, I think. If there are negatives to vaping and driving, there are probably just as many positives. I don't ever get way high, so I don't think I ever drive while dangerously under the influence. When I drive buzzed (usually because sometimes I have to drive when I wasn't expecting to), I usually am far more relaxed and aware of the feel of the road and the car on it and my role in handling the car on the road and yes even those around me. I'm less stressed and irritable. And yes, I ocasionally miss a turn. Because I'm often actually enjoying the experience and having fun with all the variables that are going on around me. I'd like to think that these things have a beneficial effect on the safety of my driving. If I'm high, I'm never the asshole weaving between cars, pulling right up on the bumper of the driver ahead of me, flashing my high beams, competing with the guy who's trying to cut in front of me. When I'm not high, however, I can be that asshole.

I think there are definite lines that can be drawn between driving while high and driving while drunk. Too much alcohol impairs judgement as well as motor skills. My judgement when buzzed might be a little bit better than when not buzzed. I tend to think things through pretty thoroughly. Ask my kids. Sometimes a simple question (Can I ride my bike in the front yard?) ends up having a full-on thesis as an answer (Well, do you know where your helmet is? Is it tight enough? Did you clear the sticks out of the way? Did you feel your tires for air pressure? Are your shoe laces tied up?).

As @ChippyMalone once posted:

8Ujxbkz.jpg

I couldn't do it. If I did and someone got hurt I would never be able to look amt myself in the mirror
I totalled a car once, and it was one of few times I actually was driving sober. The way I see it, if I didn't get high and someone got hurt, I would never be able to look at myself in the mirror.

I noticed that caffeine to counteract a good MJ buzz didn't wake me up at all - It just made me jittery, jerky, more paranoid and more likely to move too quickly. I overdid the caffeine in an effort to snap out of it and it made things worse.
This is interesting. I just started drinking coffee, and I've noticed I tend to knock things over more often, and I've been surprised with my clumsiness. Luckily it hasn't impacted my driving, yet. I think I'll cut back a bit..

Last edited:

zor

I dig your cave story avatar/handle, ' :)

I'll be honest, I'm a little uneasy to read some of the posts here, but I also find my faculties to be far, far more honed and sharpened when sober (and rested, and not stressed out, and blah blah blah ad infinitum) so I guess I just can't appreciate the POV from those of you who feel you benefit from driving stoned/high/etc.

I dig your cave story avatar/handle, ' :)

I'll be honest, I'm a little uneasy to read some of the posts here, but I also find my faculties to be far, far more honed and sharpened when sober (and rested, and not stressed out, and blah blah blah ad infinitum) so I guess I just can't appreciate the POV from those of you who feel you benefit from driving stoned/high/etc.
Heh thanks. Best game.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I was conditioned to do tasks that require both high reaction and high perception (SSB64) while quite stoned. It does take some practice before you can be comfortable driving high, but I promise, it doesn't take any practice to be capable. My girlfriend didn't start driving until she was 20 or 21, and she really didn't want to ever drive high, but when she did, she made me much less nervous to be her passenger than usual.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
It would help if I personally KNEW one person who got into a accident because they were high on weed...

I know a few alcoholics who have totaled vehicles, but American concensus is its okay to have 'just one'
I have been tired driving before too, that shit is much more scary than the bowl I smoked to wake me up.

People are so judgemental of the shit they DONT do...

...how many of you same people have had to defend a cannabis habit to people who don't do it?

I didn't come here to inspire anyone, instead...be honest with my experiences.

Maybe I should have said something just to get likes.

WeedyGirl1979

Pretty much the only time I'm driving sober is heading to or leaving work. And if I leave work after dark, you bet I got a little something waiting for in my glove box. It ain't pretty, but it's the truth. I didn't drive until I was super old and did it because I had to. Driving high made me love it. That said, I do try to time it to not be freshly baked and stay the hell off the roads during heavy traffic or bad conditions.

virtualpurple

It would help if I personally KNEW one person who got into a accident because they were high on weed...

I know a few alcoholics who have totaled vehicles, but American concensus is its okay to have 'just one'
I have been tired driving before too, that shit is much more scary than the bowl I smoked to wake me up.

People are so judgemental of the shit they DONT do...

...how many of you same people have had to defend a cannabis habit to people who don't do it?

I didn't come here to inspire anyone, instead...be honest with my experiences.

Maybe I should have said something just to get likes.

I don't know know if my post contributed to you feeling that way but if it did please don't take offense. My post wasn't meant to pass judgement on anyone.

bella

I hope i didn't offend anyone either.

It was only about a month ago that i made a conscious decision not to drive while stoned (following about 18 months of feeling increasingly conflicted about doing so). Prior to this, I drove whilst stoned for 25+ years without any worries whatsoever.

Obviously, I am in no position to pass judgement on anyone...

I love that everybody here is being so honest, it makes for an interesting and thought -provoking discussion.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I have driven high since the day I got a moped at 16. I'm now 30 and still drive cars and bikes high. I know for a fact that it makes me a safer driver. When I'm high I plod along at the speed limit being very cautious and aware of my surroundings and drive in a calm relaxed manner.
Now when I'm not high I drive fast and erratic with my turbo spinning and wheels struggling for grip as I nail every apex in my impreza. When I'm not high I want to drive quick and take more risks for some reason. I do love racing and try to keep it on the track but it inevitably crosses over. About 5 years ago they did a tv programme experiment about this in uk and proved that being high makes you a more cautious, possibly better driver. Not any worse. Think quentin Wilson did it. Will try find link.

Chill Dude

I have driven high since the day I got a moped at 16. I'm now 30 and still drive cars and bikes high. I know for a fact that it makes me a safer driver.

I agree that when you're high you tend to be a more cautious driver. However, as far as being a safer driver that is a big reach IMO. I don't think you'll ever see researchers focused on the effects of driving while high conclude that driving while high is actually safer than SOBER DRIVING LOL...
If that happened, perhaps they would reccomend the use of cannabis before driving to prevent traffic accidents and fatalities on the road!! With all due respect, that is the logic behind your argument that cannabis makes people safer drivers..

I think most of us can agree that driving while high is much safer than drunk driving, but is it safer than sober driving? No way!!

I think common sense should prevail when deciding whether or not to drive after cannabis consumption. Obviously cannabis in non edible form is much shorter acting than alcohol. I always wait at least one hour (usually two hours) before driving after mild to moderate consumption. If I'm doing dabs or have consumed a large amount of cannabis for my tolerance level, I will wait at least four hours before driving. For me, I think that's a reasonable approach, but I respect everyone's opinion on this topic.

Last edited:

TriiKLe

Manufacturer
I think it depends on your driving skills in the first place. How seriously do you take being a GOOD driver.

I know a lot of horrible drivers that are never under the influence of anything besides the lack of turning on their "Road Ninja" caps.

I also believe the biggest problem with drivers is that they rely too much on the road system set in place and do not do the thinking themselves ( Just like how people have lost their ability to research their own health and rely too much on $$$ hungry physicians).

I look both ways when I drive through any intersection.

Red means stop, but green does not mean go. Green means "PROCEED WHEN SAFE!"

ZC

If cannabis is medication, medication comes with limitations and side-effects. It comes with a warning, both from the doctor and the state, not to medicate and drive. Just like so many other meds that impair you, you should not drive or operate heavy machinery while under this drugs influence.

If it's not your medication, if it's just a recreational drug, then you are very likely taking it for the sole reason that it impairs you - in a way you enjoy. And responsible enjoyment of recreational drugs requires knowing that your enjoyment of them shouldn't put you or others in danger.

I don't think people take driving seriously enough. It's one of the most dangerous things we do, and many of us do it nearly ever day. What I think people are forgetting here is that being sober isn't just about your own routine driving.

Sure, 99% of the time, driving is going to be pretty easy and simple. Just follow your route and observe right of way. But that 1% of the time that something goes wrong, where someone misses a light and is about to t-bone you, that's when your impairment might kill you. That's where if you were just able to react a fraction of a second sooner, you might be able to survive. You might be able to avoid someone else being hurt. It's not even about the high person making a deadly mistake, it's about a high person not being able to react to someone else's deadly mistake in time.

I think a lot of people feel safe while driving high for the same reasons so many people feel safe texting and driving. Driving is for the most part, routine. It can feel like an easy, mindless task. We do it every day, usually on the exact same routes. But there isn't much in our lives more dangerous than driving, and I feel that we should treat it with more respect.

I never drive while high. I'd urge you not to.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I understand that in most cases being high would impare your driving skill. But I'm my case it calms me down which slows me down which makes me safer. In the program I watched they did prove that the stoned person was more cautious and made fewer mistakes than the sober person. I will find link.
Being high makes you think more and that leads to greater self preservation meaning less risk taking. If your the sort of person who like to drive on the edge (only where safe obviously), then some weed can make you safer. I can't be the only one who sees this.
I have a friend who can do a backflip, but he won't do it stoned because he thinks about it too much and worried about breaking his neck. But sober he would just do it. More high = less risk taken.

I'm not saying everyone should drive high. Or that it makes everyone a safer driver.

EverythingsHazy

Man, this thread has gotten me so many 'likes'! :lol:

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-14%20at%2011.14.15%20PM_zps4vqo4gyl.png

Also, in terms of driving and self-preservation, I feel like it is one thing to be able to handle and take care of yourself while high/stoned, and another to put someone else's life in your hands at the same time. Even if you are comfortable driving high, and comfortable with the risks to your own life, if you wouldn't be comfortable with your newborn child in the car, you shouldn't do it at all, because you may very well be taking the life of someone else's newborn if you crash. If it's something like skateboarding/biking on a clear path while high, where if you wipe out, you're the only one who gets hurt, it's a personal choice, but when someone else's life is involved, I don't like to play around.

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
IME...

The thing about weed vs alcohol is the fact that anytime in stoned and something serious happens it 'blows' my high and the charge to my brain surges me to a sober(er) state.

Ever try that shit with alcohol or any other substance? There is no snapping out of it.

Just LAST NIGHT I got stopped my the cops in a parked car, because I fit the 'description' aka being black. The funniest thing is the cop even said it and finished up with 'you know how it is'
...yea pig. I do.

Anyway, I had a nice little buzz going with edibles and dabs, when the flashlight approached the window

I was sober as shit. Instantly.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Adrenaline always wins the chemical war in your body in them situations. Even drunk if you encounter something horrific enough I promise you, you will sober up.

zor

Adrenaline always wins the chemical war in your body in them situations. Even drunk if you encounter something horrific enough I promise you, you will sober up.

Personal and observational anecdotes refute this. I was quite drunk one night and hugged my best friend, we teetered and fell down some steps wherein I almost broke her arms with my impact. I was thoroughly shaken but my motor control was shit and I couldn't think clearly at all. Adrenaline is very short lived, and for good reason!

kellya86

Herb gardener...
The 2 things that I have encountered that supporty statement are.
1- driving my car off a bridge. Soon sobered up after landing and seeing blue lights. Never did that again. Don't drink at all anymore.

2 - watching my friend get hit by a speeding train. This really sobered me up.

These 2 moments in my life I recall going from very drunk to very sober very quickly.

Top Bottom