Driving whilst high

C No Ego

I'd like to give the California Highway Patrol a sobriety test, they drive around like complete dipshits, absolutely a danger to others around them. Flying around recklessly, looking for innocent citizens to bust while not paying any attention to the road. Running red lights, not yielding to pedestrians, high speed swerving; a danger to our community for sure.

the days of peace officers or keepers of the peace must return!! ... at what cost does going after the bad guy while injuring everyone on the way mount up to - just don't do it!

soon enough we will all be chipped and they just need a press of a button to stop that guy... one dude in charge of pressing the go down button when someone steps out of line or swerves off the line lol... the future is ....well....

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Well, I gotta say, i've visited Cali, and thought you residents were some of the luckiest in the world, but holy shit that's fucked! It's not like that in Canada. Even pursuits don't happen (often), it's just not worth the life safety of the public, or officer.

Bro if a man gets pulled over here, expect a minimum of three squad cars to show up to assess the situation. They are trained to go into every situation with maximum brute force, shoot first ask questions later. It's never a level playing field as these government issued terrorists are armed and dangerous at all times. I'm sure it's pretty sickening living so close to us, having to hear all the stories of how our cops go around shooting innocent citizens and dogs to solve cases.

biohacker

Bro if a man gets pulled over here, expect a minimum of three squad cars to show up to assess the situation. They are trained to go into every situation with maximum brute force, shoot first ask questions later. It's never a level playing field as these government issued terrorists are armed and dangerous at all times. I'm sure it's pretty sickening to hear all the stories of how our cops go around shooting innocent citizens and dogs to get to the bottom of things.

OMG it sounds just like "Cops"! No wonder you guys have the perception that you do, for good fucking reason! I felt a little bit like a fish out of water in Cali...I lived (worked) in Riverside for a month, and I felt like the freeway was such a free for all! Complete disrespect and disregard for one another, weaving in and out of traffic, it's getting bad here in Toronto Canada as well, and I try to avoid it like the plague, but overall there is no comparison. We just don't have the resources, you're lucky to get a cop when you call 911! Severely crippled with staffing issues and funding, all while the fat cats waste billions on waste!

I like you're thinking inverted, about the government issues terrorists! lol Now go bomb the fuck outta syria already before the nukes come from russia! lol

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
OMG it sounds just like "Cops"! No wonder you guys have the perception that you do, for good fucking reason! I felt a little bit like a fish out of water in Cali...I lived (worked) in Riverside for a month, and I felt like the freeway was such a free for all! Complete disrespect and disregard for one another, weaving in and out of traffic, it's getting bad here in Toronto Canada as well, and I try to avoid it like the plague, but overall there is no comparison. We just don't have the resources, you're lucky to get a cop when you call 911! Severely crippled with staffing issues and funding, all while the fat cats waste billions on waste!

I like you're thinking inverted, about the government issues terrorists! lol Now go bomb the fuck outta syria already before the nukes come from russia! lol

Man I'm heading for Canada before SHTF! Drop buds not bombs! Man these distractions are so disjointed, they'll push anything to get us to forget about the WAR going on in our backyards. Look over here don't look there!

LOL Riverside, that's like the perfect example. Riverside cops are some of the MOST FUCKED, they absolutely show up in swarms. The whole inland empire has so many cops, it's almost impossible to even travel North on the 15 without seeing multiple people pulled over getting harassed.

biohacker

Reminds me of the time I was driving through Wisconsin and was pulled over by a State Trooper for speeding, and it was a huge fine like $200usd ($300 cdn at the time) and I was forced to make bail or some shit and pay on the spot! So I go grab my wallet in my ass pocket and he jumps back and puts his hand on his gun and my heart almost exploded! I'm like i'm just getting my wallet as you requested Sir, and he's like "carefully" lol I'm just a peaceful friendly Canadian. Well maybe not, another time I was in Washington State and was trying to get back to Toronto in like 2 days, so got a ticket for $200usd but they didn't make me pay it on the spot. 12 hours later (i think) I was in Montana, and that was the shit! I had to pay on the spot but I just had to pay like $40 and that was it! He said if I didn't have the money or pay right there i'd go to jail! lol I'm like is there a bank machine around? Anyways, I didn't end up paying the Washington $200 ticket, and I received threatening letters saying there was a warrant out for my arrest, but I was like whatever, but eventually moved to Vancouver, and wanted to go cross border to snowboard Mt Baker, so I called to "fix" my fine and remove the warranty and that $200 ticket was now at like $1500+! I was like fuck that, and crossed the border no problem, and just didn't speed knowing what could happen. I had a different license, plate, and car so not sure if they could nab me for just my name and DOB, but i've been all over the US without any issues, but I don't think i'll ever be going back. I bet the fine is in the 10's of thousands now! I know, i'm such a horrible person.

EverythingsHazy

they got nothing except outdated reefer madness and can only say someones endorphins were more active in that high guy compared to someone that did not add cannabinoids into their biology... the " High" is the actual medicine and you go to jail because of it???
If you drive while high. It doesn't mater if it's medicine or not, if it affects others.

I suspect 2 ng might be a good limit for recreational users, and maybe a level of 5 ng (like in Colorado) would be more realistic for medical users. But if we are stuck with a 2 ng limit for everyone I suspect that anyone with a prescription of more than a gram a day will no longer be able to drive legally in Canada, and doctors should make that clear when giving the prescriptions.
Having different acceptable levels for recreational users and medical ones, would be ridiculous. They law would be based on the level that is safe for the average person in the general population. You can't make exceptions for those on the far ends of the spectrum.

4. Regardless if you are a recreational user or a medical one, you shouldn't be allowed to drive while under the influence of Cannabis. It doesn't make any difference if it helps you medically, or if you can't drive without it due to seizures or anything else. If you can't drive without being buzzed on Cannabis, you just shouldn't be driving (my seizures are more dangerous while driving than me being buzzed behind the wheel). What if having a drink or two helped lessen your condition? Does that mean you should be able to drive with those drinks in your system? No, it doesn't. Other people should not be put at risk so you can have the ability to get to work or travel. If you are unable to drive due to a condition that Cannabis doesn't treat, you also shouldn't be allowed to just do it anyway and risk others, because you need to support your family, or leave the house. It's an unfortunate fact that some people have diseases/disabilities, but that doesn't mean others should be made to suffer as a result. The only one who has to suffer is the one that is afflicted. It's sad, but that's not me being mean. If you are considered too close to being blind to drive, you can't just do it anyway and risk the lives of others. You're the blind person. You are the one who has to suffer. Again, that's not me trying to be cruel or uncaring. I would love for those afflicted with issues to be given help. I just don't feel like one person's disabilities should put other people in harms way.

C No Ego

If you drive while high. It doesn't mater if it's medicine or not, if it affects others.

that is just it, how it effects others'.... how would a sick persons' driving effect others? and if they were to be better healthier drivers with medicine, how then?

really, not until the doctors out right admit that cannabis is medicine.. even still they will have do not operate heavy machinery on the label so... I can guarantee that some of the medicines they offer will make a person way higher than cannabis ever could and those medicines are "" legal"" hell, some of the legal medicines have synthetic cannabinoids created in a lab that mimic cannabis molecules... I have personally seen a dude go to "space academy" when his doctor prescribed marinol to him for stress relief... he was our cut man and he went into air space for days!

Baron23

I am posting the following article merely and solely for your individual reading pleasure and as an another data point for your considerations of the issue at hand in this thread.

This is NOT an attempt to propose a workable roadside test for MJ intoxication or any of the rest of the sticky ball of wax that goes around this.

This is NOT being posted as a counter-point 'aha' gesture toward any one's previous posts.

This not being posted because I think this article or the methodology of the cited study is unassailable so please don't challenge me to defend it.

Drugged driving eclipses drunken driving in tests of motorists killed in crashes
By Ashley Halsey III April 26 at 12:01 AM
For the first time, statistics show that drivers killed in crashes are more likely to be on drugs than drunk.

Forty-three percent of drivers tested in fatal crashes in 2015 had used a legal or illegal drug, eclipsing the 37 percent who tested above the legal limit for alcohol, according to a report released Wednesday by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) and the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility.

Of the drivers who tested positive for drugs, more than a third had used marijuana and more than 9 percent had taken amphetamines.

“As drunken driving has declined, drugged driving has increased dramatically, and many of today’s impaired drivers are combining two or more substances,” said Ralph S. Blackman, president of the foundation, a nonprofit founded and funded by a group of distillers.

The report is narrowly focused on fatal crashes. It shows that among fatally injured drivers with known test results, 2015 was the first time that drug use was more prevalent than alcohol use.

Beyond that, however, it draws on other studies and statistics that create a complicated portrait of legal and illegal drug use nationwide. Every state bans driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The opioid epidemic — heroin use and the abuse of prescription drugs — is well established. In 2015, more than 33,000 people fatally overdosed on opioids, almost equal to the 35,095 people killed that year in all traffic crashes.

The number of drivers who tested positive for drugs after dying in a crash rose from almost 28 percent in 2005 to 43 percent in 2015, the latest year for which data is available.

Though the dates when each state passed a law vary, that period coincided with more-permissive laws covering the use of marijuana.

Medical use of the drug is now allowed in 29 states and the District of Columbia; 17 states permit its use in some medical circumstances; use has been decriminalized in 21 states; and recreational use is allowed in eight states and the District.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has promised to reinvigorate the war on drugs, reversing an Obama administration policy that reduced prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenders.

Although the liberalization of marijuana laws and increase in drug-use fatalities might lead to an easy conclusion, the report cites European studies that found marijuana use slightly increased the risk of a crash, while opioids, amphetamines and mixing alcohol with drugs greatly increased the risk of a crash.

Counterbalancing that assessment of crash risk is this stark statistic: In Colorado, marijuana-related traffic deaths increased by 48 percent after the state legalized recreational use of the drug.

Drugged driving is a complicated issue,” said Jim Hedlund, a former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration official who wrote the GHSA report. “The more we can synthesize the latest research and share what’s going on around the country to address drug-impaired driving, the better positioned states will be to prevent it.”

Unlike the blood alcohol standard of 0.08, which often can be established at the scene of a crash, testing for drug use is more complex, usually requiring a blood test, and the effect of drug use can vary substantially among users.

Surveys of regular marijuana users in Colorado and Washington state, which also has legalized recreational use, found that almost none of them thought marijuana use impaired their driving, while they believed drinking alcohol did.

The challenge to police in attempting to enforce laws against drug-using drivers is compounded because many officers lack training to identify those under the influence of drugs, and delays in testing may allow the drug to metabolize so the results do not accurately measure the concentration in the driver’s system at the time of the incident.

“As states across the country continue to struggle with drug-impaired driving, it’s critical that we help them understand the current landscape and provide examples of best practices so they can craft the most effective countermeasures,” said Jonathan Adkins, executive director of GHSA.

Last edited:

King_Bob

@EverythingsHazy I believe we need to clarify what you mean by high. If you mean that you cannot have any medicine (cannabis, pain killers, anti anxiety meds, etc) at all in your system in order to be able to drive, then I believe the economy will collapse as I am sure that at least 50 % of the people on the road have some form meds in their system at all times.

I am all for research and finding the exact level for cannabis as well as each prescribed medicine, and combination of medicines. And I will respect and follow the findings if they are based on good science. I do not want to be a danger to anyone including myself which is why I take this very seriously and want real answers.

I agree that it makes no sense to have different limits for medical and recreational users - that was just wishful thinking on my part. Cannabis is unique in the sense that it can be used both recreationally and as a medicine. But all the road testing is a direct result of the upcoming recreational usage. If Cannabis was still strictly a medical drug, it would not be tested for and there would be no legal limit set just like there is no limit or road testing for most other prescription drugs.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
If you already had one marijuana related traffic death, and then another one happened you could say marijuana related traffic death has increased 50%. So how many deaths really occurred? And where are the statistics of people testing positive for ONLY cannabis? Not drunk drivers or people on painkillers who also had THC in their system, as the article mentions today's impaired drivers are combining multiple substances.

EverythingsHazy

@EverythingsHazy I believe we need to clarify what you mean by high. If you mean that you cannot have any medicine (cannabis, pain killers, anti anxiety meds, etc) at all in your system in order to be able to drive, then I believe the economy will collapse as I am sure that at least 50 % of the people on the road have some form meds in their system at all times.

I am all for research and finding the exact level for cannabis as well as each prescribed medicine, and combination of medicines. And I will respect and follow the findings if they are based on good science. I do not want to be a danger to anyone including myself which is why I take this very seriously and want real answers.

I agree that it makes no sense to have different limits for medical and recreational users - that was just wishful thinking on my part. Cannabis is unique in the sense that it can be used both recreationally and as a medicine. But all the road testing is a direct result of the upcoming recreational usage. If Cannabis was still strictly a medical drug, it would not be tested for and there would be no legal limit set just like there is no limit or road testing for most other prescription drugs.
I'd say "high" or "buzzed" is when you feel the addition of something to you sober state. I wouldn't consider having residual THC in your system from last week, being "high". However, I don't think you are only affected by Cannabis during the "high". Being "under the influence" doesn't necessarily mean you feel a buzz, though.

Therefore, determining which blood levels negatively affect the driving ability of the majority of the population, would be necessary to make a reasonable law that everyone has to follow.

As for painkillers...I think if we can determine a blood level amount that is deemed dangerous for driving, it should be punishable to drive over that limit. Whether or not it ever will happen, doesn't mean that driving with impairing levels of Cannabis (levels that impair the general public, not you personally, as that isn't feasible to test for) should just be made legal, too. Just because one bad thing isn't illegal, or isn't commonly punished, doesnt mean others should be legalized, too.

biohacker

I'd say "high" or "buzzed" is when you feel the addition of something to you sober state.

I get high off of sugar, glad they don't test for it, same with strong coffee... and a really awesome tune with my stereo cranked gets me all pumped up and gives me the need for speed. I'm starting to see how this thread is going in circles, but still entertaining nevertheless.

Some people don't get high, they just get even. I hate the term getting high as much as the slang term marijuana. It's Cannabis!

Krazy

I'd say "high" or "buzzed" is when you feel the addition of something to you sober state. ...

determining which blood levels negatively affect the driving ability of the majority of the population, would be necessary to make a reasonable law that everyone has to follow.

2 Questions on that:
  • Is this limited to cannabis or are their limits for coffee, allergy meds, etc.?
  • Plenty of meds, cannabis included, have different effects once you adjust to using them. Will medical use of things other than cannabis be under the same weekend warrior testing?

EverythingsHazy

2 Questions on that:
  • Is this limited to cannabis or are their limits for coffee, allergy meds, etc.?
  • Plenty of meds, cannabis included, have different effects once you adjust to using them. Will medical use of things other than cannabis be under the same weekend warrior testing?
No, it's not limited to Cannabis. I think there should be legal limits for all mind altering substances. I also believe that just because other substances don't have legal limits, that doesn't mean that Cannabis should be exempt. One bad thing allowed doesn't mean another bad thing should be allowed.

EverythingsHazy,

biohacker

No, it's not limited to Cannabis. I think there should be legal limits for all mind altering substances. I also believe that just because other substances don't have legal limits, that doesn't mean that Cannabis should be exempt. One bad thing allowed doesn't mean another bad thing should be allowed.

Test for all or test for nothing. It's about safe driving nothing else. Everyone has a different path in life.

JCat

Accessory Maker
The only type of testing that should be allowed is the type that tests for levels of actual intoxication; not just some arbitrary number. At least with alcohol they can back their number of .05 and .08 with strong scientific evidence with numerous studies and vast amounts of data.

The #'s thrown out with # of accidents that involve cannabis, but don't segregate those that also use alcohol, are obviously pushing an agenda and not that useful. I would similarly recommend the exclusion of the incidents involving cannabis from the alcohol #'s but I'm guessing that this would have a much less drastic impact on the end results making the #'s used for imposing limits for alcohol likely much more fact based. (this is all just a hypothesis, as I don't have the actual data sets, but based on percentages of people that use alcohol vs. those that use cannabis it seems reasonable. Most cannabis users would also use alcohol as well, same wouldn't be true in reverse)

Once there is sufficient data, and that data is analyzed and used to defend reasonable limits, then I don't think I could argue whatever they come up with. Give me the data in a spreadsheet or a database and let me do some analysis and run some charts and reports on it and if what I find says that there should be a limit of a certain amount, even if said limit interferes with my ability to drive, then who would I be to argue? (in these cases I could analyze such things as % increased risk of accident with low, moderate, and high levels of THC)

In such a case, I would like to see data analyzed on medical (chronic) users as well, to see where the limits fall, and if they are different. The reasoning being, that as someone with a disability, I don't feel like my rights to mobility should be infringed upon, simply because of residual levels of medication in my system; perhaps my limit should be higher due to these residual levels, but there should still be one (in this case, I would have to use caution, and time, to moderate when I can and cannot drive).

I know the argument that having different limits is ridiculous has been presented many times, but maybe it is not. I currently carry a card w/ me that allows me to carry cannabis legally, fly anywhere within the country with it, etc., without problems. If I were to be arrested with it in my possession, they would have to give it back to me on release; yet cannabis is a controlled substance in Canada still. How different would it be when it is legalized for me to carry a card w/ me still (or my prescription bottle), that indicates I am a medical user and thus adjusts my limit?

Anyways ... everything I just discussed is really hypothetical, and absolutely useless, as until the we have the data, analyze the data, and perform the studies, how can laws using #'s make any sense at all? Currently, I would hope, the only thing that holds up in court is proving impairment beyond a reasonable doubt through eye witness testimony that bears up under cross examination.

C No Ego

The only type of testing that should be allowed is the type that tests for levels of actual intoxication; not just some arbitrary number. At least with alcohol they can back their number of .05 and .08 with strong scientific evidence with numerous studies and vast amounts of data.

The #'s thrown out with # of accidents that involve cannabis, but don't segregate those that also use alcohol, are obviously pushing an agenda and not that useful. I would similarly recommend the exclusion of the incidents involving cannabis from the alcohol #'s but I'm guessing that this would have a much less drastic impact on the end results making the #'s used for imposing limits for alcohol likely much more fact based. (this is all just a hypothesis, as I don't have the actual data sets, but based on percentages of people that use alcohol vs. those that use cannabis it seems reasonable. Most cannabis users would also use alcohol as well, same wouldn't be true in reverse)

Once there is sufficient data, and that data is analyzed and used to defend reasonable limits, then I don't think I could argue whatever they come up with. Give me the data in a spreadsheet or a database and let me do some analysis and run some charts and reports on it and if what I find says that there should be a limit of a certain amount, even if said limit interferes with my ability to drive, then who would I be to argue? (in these cases I could analyze such things as % increased risk of accident with low, moderate, and high levels of THC)

In such a case, I would like to see data analyzed on medical (chronic) users as well, to see where the limits fall, and if they are different. The reasoning being, that as someone with a disability, I don't feel like my rights to mobility should be infringed upon, simply because of residual levels of medication in my system; perhaps my limit should be higher due to these residual levels, but there should still be one (in this case, I would have to use caution, and time, to moderate when I can and cannot drive).

I know the argument that having different limits is ridiculous has been presented many times, but maybe it is not. I currently carry a card w/ me that allows me to carry cannabis legally, fly anywhere within the country with it, etc., without problems. If I were to be arrested with it in my possession, they would have to give it back to me on release; yet cannabis is a controlled substance in Canada still. How different would it be when it is legalized for me to carry a card w/ me still (or my prescription bottle), that indicates I am a medical user and thus adjusts my limit?

Anyways ... everything I just discussed is really hypothetical, and absolutely useless, as until the we have the data, analyze the data, and perform the studies, how can laws using #'s make any sense at all? Currently, I would hope, the only thing that holds up in court is proving impairment beyond a reasonable doubt through eye witness testimony that bears up under cross examination.

the tests were finding metabolites of thc........... ----- remember, we do not have on site actual level thc tests yet... all they can say and did say is that thc was detected, still the same argument of was the thc from last week or five minutes ago before the accident? until that question can be answered we will never know exactly how cannabis effects drivers throughout overall society as a whole amongst all involved with said society... a molecular frequency scanner could show what molecules are in something but that technology is still maybe 50 to 100 years away for mainstream../.. naturopathic doctors know of these

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
If you live in a medical state and can get a medical card maybe folks that use cannabis would be safer with a medical card authorizing medical cannabis? Maybe legally you would be better off. Just a thought.:2c: Not trying to promote stoned driving but the laws and the testing the way it is, it makes it difficult for folks that use cannabis.

I would need probably 6 or 7 weeks of no cannabis for me to have a clean test for our fav flower.

Last edited:

JCat

Accessory Maker
If you live in a medical state and can get a medical card maybe folks that use cannabis would be safer with a medical card authorizing medical cannabis? Maybe legally you would be better off. Just a thought.:2c: Not trying to promote stoned driving but the laws and the testing the way it is, it makes it difficult for folks that use cannabis.

I would need probably 6 or 7 weeks of no cannabis for me to have a clean test for our fav flower.
I have a medical card, and yes, it would help me in the case of failing a saliva test; however, I would still be out my drivers license for months and thousands of dollars to fight the charge; depending on the officer, they may be harder on me because I have a medical license. I've heard the sentiment of "there's no such thing as medical marijuana, it's just a scam to get stoned legally" more than once from law enforcement.

I don't know how it is exactly in the US, but here in Canada, although you are technically innocent until proven guilty, more often than not, it feels like, and you are treated like you are guilty until proven innocent; you also suffer many consequences as a result of the accusation, and are never truly exonerated as a result ...

C No Ego

I am posting the following article merely and solely for your individual reading pleasure and as an another data point for your considerations of the issue at hand in this thread.

This is NOT an attempt to propose a workable roadside test for MJ intoxication or any of the rest of the sticky ball of wax that goes around this.

This is NOT being posted as a counter-point 'aha' gesture toward any one's previous posts.

This not being posted because I think this article or the methodology of the cited study is unassailable so please don't challenge me to defend it.

Drugged driving eclipses drunken driving in tests of motorists killed in crashes
By Ashley Halsey III April 26 at 12:01 AM
For the first time, statistics show that drivers killed in crashes are more likely to be on drugs than drunk.

Forty-three percent of drivers tested in fatal crashes in 2015 had used a legal or illegal drug, eclipsing the 37 percent who tested above the legal limit for alcohol, according to a report released Wednesday by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) and the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility.

Of the drivers who tested positive for drugs, more than a third had used marijuana and more than 9 percent had taken amphetamines.

“As drunken driving has declined, drugged driving has increased dramatically, and many of today’s impaired drivers are combining two or more substances,” said Ralph S. Blackman, president of the foundation, a nonprofit founded and funded by a group of distillers.

The report is narrowly focused on fatal crashes. It shows that among fatally injured drivers with known test results, 2015 was the first time that drug use was more prevalent than alcohol use.

Beyond that, however, it draws on other studies and statistics that create a complicated portrait of legal and illegal drug use nationwide. Every state bans driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

The opioid epidemic — heroin use and the abuse of prescription drugs — is well established. In 2015, more than 33,000 people fatally overdosed on opioids, almost equal to the 35,095 people killed that year in all traffic crashes.

The number of drivers who tested positive for drugs after dying in a crash rose from almost 28 percent in 2005 to 43 percent in 2015, the latest year for which data is available.

Though the dates when each state passed a law vary, that period coincided with more-permissive laws covering the use of marijuana.

Medical use of the drug is now allowed in 29 states and the District of Columbia; 17 states permit its use in some medical circumstances; use has been decriminalized in 21 states; and recreational use is allowed in eight states and the District.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has promised to reinvigorate the war on drugs, reversing an Obama administration policy that reduced prison sentences for nonviolent drug offenders.

Although the liberalization of marijuana laws and increase in drug-use fatalities might lead to an easy conclusion, the report cites European studies that found marijuana use slightly increased the risk of a crash, while opioids, amphetamines and mixing alcohol with drugs greatly increased the risk of a crash.

Counterbalancing that assessment of crash risk is this stark statistic: In Colorado, marijuana-related traffic deaths increased by 48 percent after the state legalized recreational use of the drug.

Drugged driving is a complicated issue,” said Jim Hedlund, a former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration official who wrote the GHSA report. “The more we can synthesize the latest research and share what’s going on around the country to address drug-impaired driving, the better positioned states will be to prevent it.”

Unlike the blood alcohol standard of 0.08, which often can be established at the scene of a crash, testing for drug use is more complex, usually requiring a blood test, and the effect of drug use can vary substantially among users.

Surveys of regular marijuana users in Colorado and Washington state, which also has legalized recreational use, found that almost none of them thought marijuana use impaired their driving, while they believed drinking alcohol did.

The challenge to police in attempting to enforce laws against drug-using drivers is compounded because many officers lack training to identify those under the influence of drugs, and delays in testing may allow the drug to metabolize so the results do not accurately measure the concentration in the driver’s system at the time of the incident.

“As states across the country continue to struggle with drug-impaired driving, it’s critical that we help them understand the current landscape and provide examples of best practices so they can craft the most effective countermeasures,” said Jonathan Adkins, executive director of GHSA.

so basically, they had no way of knowing if the thc was consumed a month ago, a week ago, or that very day the accident happens... it is still guilty until proven innocent

EverythingsHazy

Test for all or test for nothing. It's about safe driving nothing else. Everyone has a different path in life.
So then test for all. However, since that's not happening anytime soon, just not testing for others isn't the next logical option. Just because one bad thing is allowed, doesn't mean every bad thing should also be allowed.

By the logic you just used, we shouldn't test for alcohol either. That should be proof enough that it isn't sound reasoning.

Some protection from dangerous behavior is better than no protection.

I get high off of sugar, glad they don't test for it, same with strong coffee... and a really awesome tune with my stereo cranked gets me all pumped up and gives me the need for speed. I'm starting to see how this thread is going in circles, but still entertaining nevertheless.

Some people don't get high, they just get even. I hate the term getting high as much as the slang term marijuana. It's Cannabis!
It IS Cannabis, AND it gets you buzzed. "Medicated" isn't synonymous with "buzzed", nor should it be used as a replacement for it. You might medicate with Cannabis, but that doesn't change the fact that you get buzzed/high/stoned as a result of that medical use. "Medicated" means you have medicine in your system. Being buzzed, or stoned, or high, means you feel something as a result of that medication.

I can't count the number of times someone on here says "I got really medicated last night", when what they mean is, I got a strong buzz last night from using Cannabis. That use of the word takes away from the actual medical Cannabis movement. It makes it seem like people refuse to realize that using Cannabis (with thc) gets you buzzed (assuming you're not using insanely small amounts that you can't feel, in which case you wouldn't say "I got really medicated, anyway).

That's like someone who drinks to calm anxiety saying they got medicated when they got drunk.

Also, the whole, "I don't get high, I get even" thing, is just a nonsense saying that Cannabis users like to repeat. If you feel a buzz of any level, you aren't getting "even".

Last edited:
EverythingsHazy,

JCat

Accessory Maker
So then test for all. However, since that's not happening anytime soon, just not testing for others isn't the next logical option. Just because one bad thing is allowed, doesn't mean every bad thing should also be allowed.

By the logic you just used, we shouldn't test for alcohol either. That should be proof enough that it isn't sound reasoning.

Some protection from dangerous behavior is better than no protection.
Alcohol is different because they have ample scientific evidence to back up the limits imposed by the law.

JCat

Accessory Maker
That just proves the "test the for all or nothing" argument to be ridiculous.
I didn't make the "test (the) for all or nothing" argument. @biohacker did; and I think your taking the comment and twisting it around. I agree with the intent of @biohacker's comment which I believe is to not unfairly target cannabis users vs other prescription users (people use both cannabis and other prescriptions to cope with disabilities and to be able to be contributing members of society). I don't think calling someone else's point "ridiculous" is very nice.

Top Bottom