Driving whilst high

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
I drive while high often. I can handle it though. Some people can't. As others have stated above, I think it all has to do with:

1. How often you get high (how familiar you are with the effects)
2. How comfortable you are with driving in the first place, and
3. How much you've consumed just prior to driving.

I know my limits. If I've had too much and am stoned out of my gourd, I'll wait an hour or two for the effects to wear off before I jump behind the wheel. :2c:

little maggie

Just saying if you look into the actual science on this experienced users driving under the influence show little impairment. Since the majority of people have never built up a tolerance to cannabis they don't understand how it affects daily users. I would liken it more to drinking coffee than getting drunk.
I'd like to see the data. The research comparing stoned to drunk drivers is not the same as comparing stoned drivers to drivers not under the influence. At this point I'd prefer someone not under the influence of anything except a clear, focused brain.
Personally, although I haven't been in accidents that were my fault, I have never been a good driver and wouldn't be behind a wheel if I didn't need to drive to work. A bit too ADD to trust myself. When I'd go to rock concerts in high school, I let my boyfriend drive tripping on acid rather than my driving totally sober.

Last edited:

herbivore21

I'd like to see the data. The research comparing stoned to drunk drivers is not the same as comparing stoned drivers to drivers not under the influence. At this point I'd prefer someone not under the influence of anything except a clear, focused brain.
Personally, although I haven't been in accidents that were my fault, I have never been a good driver and wouldn't be behind a wheel if I didn't need to drive to work. A bit too ADD to trust myself. When I'd go to rock concerts in high school, I let my boyfriend drive tripping on acid rather than my driving totally sober.
Said research actually compared all three. I am busy with my own research (I am a scientist) right now and can't take the time to find this source, but I can confirm that it was a comparison to the effects of driving under the influence of cannabis, alcohol or neither. It also considered infrequent and frequent users of cannabis separately.

Frequent users were found not to differ to any statistically significant extent in likelihood of involvement in traffic incidents while under the influence of cannabis than drivers who had consumed neither alcohol nor cannabis.

Less frequent users were found to be twice as likely to be involved in a traffic incident than if they had consumed neither alcohol nor cannabis.

Drinkers at .05 blood alcohol (not necessarily especially drunk) on the other hand have been found to be 6 times more likely to be involved in a traffic incident than if they had consumed neither alcohol or cannabis. I believe the study did not consider the combined effects of the two substances on driving, which could be quite different still ;)

weenstoned

Ya besides that study there have been a few others that have shown no increased risk of an accident. Governments commission these studies assuming their prejudices will be shown to be based on fact and are embarrassed to find that is not the case.

capcoho

All I know is thank god I quit smoking cigs and joints. Countless times dropping those things in mysterious places having to fish them with one hand while flying down a highway. Not fun at all.

The worst was when a gust of wind came and an ember would fly into the backseat.

herbivore21

How would a study on this even work? Do they get people high and put them on the road? Are they asking people who drive under influence what their usage is?
Actually, in the study I was talking about - they did just that lol! They set up a segregated road section and took extra precautions/put in place extra controls to minimize risk of harm of course.

Still, I would not have wanted to try and get that research proposal past an ethics committee! lol

slick

Interesting topic. More varied options then I initially expected. I MO in an ideal world everyone would know their limits and stick with them. In the real world limits have to be set. I wouldn't trust a new driver to do ANYTHING else while driving, let alone having a smoke beforehand. But I would hardly fault a responsible adult for fiddling with the radio or talking on a hands free device if they felt comfortable with the driving situation.

On a side note, in the video above Abby acted how I fear I act in public when high. Typical stoner cadence and awkward body language. I wish there was some way for me to know that if fact yes people can totally tell. It's probably just in my head....right behind my squinty blood shot eyes.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
What is high? Can they test for it. No, it's in your system or not (at least in NY state). It stays in your system for weeks, so technically, I am always going to fail a piss test. Am I 'impaired' ?- No. If my blood levels were lower could I drive better? - No

I agree 1000%, never drive impaired, but be sure you can define impaired correctly. The test should be "functional", not just chemical, and if in doubt, don't drive. That applies to not just when you smoked last, but many factors (including sleep).

How many "straight" ppl would fail? If I drink a cup of coffee (a drug) or smoke a cigarette (a drug), am I impaired? Could be... nicotine and caffeine can be powerful drugs to some, but not to others. Let's not be sheep - FACTS.

I'd love to take part in tests where they study split second decision making and reaction time. Let's do it!

And on a side note, read my signature - EVEN is the goal.

Last edited:

Petro

Not exaggerating at all - I drive high literally every day. Every morning I have 2/3 Vapman bowls before leaving for work. Finish a bowl then jump in the car, no hour long break or anything like some kind of pussy (:razz:). Have been driving high as fuck since I started smoking at 18 (25 now). Old habit of having to drive somewhere to smoke, really had no choice when I was younger.

Driving is actually one of my favourite things to do though and I am a good driver, high or not. I drive high 99% of the time, generally because rarely do I leave the house without being baked first :uhoh:.

Don't know where I'm going with this........I guess I support driving while high? I can't see a way to avoid it really. Necessity of stoner life, gotta learn how to drive high. I might feel different if I wasn't a good driver though. I am really comfortable behind a wheel whereas some people get nervous driving when they are sober - those people should avoid driving high because they will fuck up.

Rambling over?

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Not exaggerating at all - I drive high literally every day. Every morning I have 2/3 Vapman bowls before leaving for work. Finish a bowl then jump in the car, no hour long break or anything like some kind of pussy (:razz:). Have been driving high as fuck since I started smoking at 18 (25 now). Old habit of having to drive somewhere to smoke, really had no choice when I was younger.

Driving is actually one of my favourite things to do, high or not - only tied with smoking weed and playing golf. I drive high 99% of the time, generally because rarely do I leave the house without being baked first :uhoh:.

Don't know where I'm going with this........I guess I support driving while high? I can't see a way to avoid it really. Necessity of stoner life, gotta learn how to drive high. I might feel different if I wasn't a good driver though. I am really comfortable behind a wheel whereas some people get nervous driving when they are sober - those people should avoid driving high because they will fuck up.

Rambling over?
Just like ppl use nicotine and coffee and drive all day! I've been smoking since I'm 15, 42 years ago. To me, it's much more like coffee or cigarettes than alcohol. But we live in a society of sheep, who take everything on face value, without any substance.

Last edited:

TeeJay1952

Me? I take any substance and have no face value:rockon:
I sit at home and equivocate back on whether or not I should order a pizza. Too early, too late, what toppings and so forth. Now if I am on a freeway my judgmental system is likely as affected. Change lane? Too soon, too late, match speeds , traffic flow. There is allot to consider and not much time. :sherlock:

Ps the tip off is using whilst in a sentence. You are either stoned or a Knight of the Round Table.

Petro

I found this interesting.

:peace:

That Addy girl must be after my heart. She shows up the test already high (:lol:!) then proceeds to smoke a whole gram and get super baked just because she can. Perfect.
As much as I like driving high, even I would think twice after a whole gram haha.

@Bravesst I would say I am definitely more impaired than I am after a coffee, but I agree with your point.

When I have been smoking I am a much more chilled driver than I am sober. As a sober driver I drive a little quickly and get excited sometimes but when I'm high I'm just cruising along at the speed limit taking it all in. Have been in enough tricky situations to know I can handle my shit and handle my car.

Drunk driver me is too risky and excitable though. Still a good driver mind you, but the speed feels too good. Wouldn't drive after ten drinks but 3/4/5 I'm still pretty okay. Driving is fun after a few drinks, but definitely stupid and irresponsible.

The key is knowing your own limitations IMO.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I guess I'm a sheep too... I abide. So many people, some who shouldn't be driving not high, put tremendous pressure on the rest of us. Sometimes, it's just not worth the fight. For me, no big deal, I like sitting home, chllin' when I vape anyway. If I'm out and about, I might as well be smoking cigarettes, as I feel zero - an actual waste of material. When out, the break is good.

If I'm not in the right mindset, I cannot get high at all. Adrenalin, or whatever other hormones, overrides it all (maybe the only "bonus" of having PTSD - way too much adrenalin). That is not something I can say about alcohol, as I'm a terrible light weight.

Last edited:

hackslasher

Driving is actually one of my favourite things to do though and I am a good driver, high or not. I drive high 99% of the time, generally because rarely do I leave the house without being baked first :uhoh:.

Rambling over?

I could have written this myself, just not well or fluent as you have. But same way, only time not really driving while high is at work after I've come down from a morning toke

EverythingsHazy

Taking long car rides while being blitzed is much better than sober, but DRIVING while high, is a bad idea, imo. Sitting in the passenger seat just watching the scenery fly by (esp on a nice highway instead of city streets) with some great music on, while stoned, is awesome tho.

However, I think there might be potential for Cannabis meds that don't get you "high", like CBD etc, to help people who can't drive due to abnormal/involuntary muscular movements or seizures. It would have to be extensively tested before I'd feel confident with it tho. Reflex and reaction time testing, as well as awareness and comprehension/logical reasoning abilities.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I personally see benefit in vaping whilst I drive. I think everyone is different though and like many have said in this thread, you should know your limits and stick with them.

With all that said, some people won't know they are too high and will get behind the wheel. This is where the big danger is and I'm not sure you can prevent it by applying a limit to how high one can be while driving. It almost should just be illegal altogether as those who can medicate before/during driving should not really be noticeable to police or others on the road and so they should easily get by with it. Just like in the CNN video that was posted above, the police and driving instructor saw no reason to pull the high drivers off the road when they felt they could handle the task of driving. When they felt they couldn't, the police and driving inspector noticed easily.

This one is really a tough one for me...I'm kinda all over the place on it. While I think it is ok for me, I understand it is not for many others.

EverythingsHazy

I'm so down for a chauffeur that is always ready, plays the role of designated driver every time without complaining, and doesn't mind me sleeping or wearing headphones on our rides.

I personally see benefit in vaping whilst I drive. I think everyone is different though and like many have said in this thread, you should know your limits and stick with them.

With all that said, some people won't know they are too high and will get behind the wheel. This is where the big danger is and I'm not sure you can prevent it by applying a limit to how high one can be while driving. It almost should just be illegal altogether as those who can medicate before/during driving should not really be noticeable to police or others on the road and so they should easily get by with it. Just like in the CNN video that was posted above, the police and driving instructor saw no reason to pull the high drivers off the road when they felt they could handle the task of driving. When they felt they couldn't, the police and driving inspector noticed easily.

This one is really a tough one for me...I'm kinda all over the place on it. While I think it is ok for me, I understand it is not for many others.

I know it affects different people differently, and that by getting high and driving, some would be increasing their risk of an accident much more than others, but don't think it should be legal for a few reasons.

1. You (a cop, etc.) can't tell how high someone feels. Especially when they are high on a blend of bunch of different chemicals, and not just pure THC. Tolerance, age, weight, and other individual differences all affect how one is altered by cannabis. Also, you can't know 100% how high YOU are going to feel when you take a dose of cannabis. There are so many different factors that can cause you to get much higher all of a sudden, out of nowhere, and then sometimes have a much higher tolerance without having used much more herb. Lack of sleep, last meal, blood sugar, hydration levels, food in stomach, etc..

2. Any time someone is in an accident while high, it is going to be put to use against general legalization and proper education about cannabis.

3. Any medication that alters your consciousness or level of awareness, comes with a driving warning. Cannabis definitely affects your mental state.

4. Has nobody here had at least one stupid high moment, where you do something completely wrong and then laugh about it? Well, you can't have even one of those behind the wheel.

Top Bottom