Doubling chromosomes of weed??

justcametomind

Hi all,
Nol Van Schaik is a renowned cannabis entrepreneur in the Netherlands. He owns three coffee shops and now a seed bank.
Here is the site. http://www.gagatrading.biz/
This is a excerpt of the presentation that's on the home page. He talks about his colleague that managed to double the chromosomes of his seeds, and now the plants have more branches and so more weed..
Please tell me this is not a mountain of bullshit cause I started to like this man, the fact he was a smuggler years ago and then started some of the first CS. But really?

You can read it here:

Lady Ganja seeds are feminized, but the breeder was a bit disappointed with the structure of the feminized plants he grew out. He set out to try to double the chromosomes of the strains he used for the hybrids, and he succeeded in that!

This means a Lady Ganja plant is fuller than the general feminized strain, they produces more branches, so more weed. I asked Marcel to start making me some new strains, new in the sense of taste and smell, as the market was being flooded with Powerplant spin-offs and spicy sativas at that time. Marvel went on a search, and came up with Oracle genetics, to cross that strain with his own old school strains, and modern strains, to try and create new flavors for the cannabis market.

justcametomind,
Reactions: Vicki

Fully Melted

It's OK to enjoy your medicine.
It's done frequently. Both with cannabis and non-cannabis cultivars, such as wheat. Many varieties of cannabis come from polyploid stock. Usually it's done with giberellins but indole hormones work well too. Only problem is you do not know what will result. It's usually poor. Newer methods of genotyping will likely making a customized strain a bit closer to reality. Not yet...but soon.

djonkoman

I've read polyploidy sometimes give advantages, and in those crops it's used a lot, but everything that I read about polyploidy with weed says it doesn't matter with cannabis(no advantage, no disadvantage)

but, on a dutch forum I'm on there is a very common confusion between polyploidy and whorled phyllotaxy(not 2 but 3, or more, first leaves, later it branches kind of like a topped plant)
so it could be that same confusion is going on here(the description of more branches and fuller appearance sounds a lot like that), so in that case polyploidy is not going on here

djonkoman,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Polyploidy is an interesting topic, though quadruploids are generally not selected due to reduced vigor, triploids appear to be the most ideal for characteristics like vigor.

Triploids can be generated any number of ways depending on the species. One way is to due tissue culture of seed cotyledon tissue, because cotyledonous tissue generally contains triploid tissue.

It comes down to resources and species.

OO,
Top Bottom