Don't Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables......Juice Them

Vitolo

Vaporist
Just found this thread.
Confirmed lifelong Juicer... started young.
My first juicer was an Omega (then called Olympia)
I have owned a Champion too, but the yields were not as high using that system as the centrifugal.
I do not blend vegetables or use other similar devices, I use only Juice extractors.

I have over the last 15 years moved to lower cost juicers , that offer both... 800 watts and also have a wide mouth.
I like being able to stuff three or 4 carrots in there at once.
A small beet even can fit.
We currently have a GE wide mouth, that has lasted and amazing 4 years but is beginning to slow a bit.
We have a wide mouth 800w Hamilton Beach in the wings sitting in the ready for that inevitable day.
We drink 3-5 pounds of Carrots daily (about 25 pounds a week), and usually it is mixed with more than one of the following;
Ginger, Spinach, Italian Parsley, Celery, Beet, Cucumber and Jalapeño
On a rare occasion We put an apple in there to quiet down a really hot pepper, but generally we do not juice fresh fruits.... scrubbing carefully if we do.
I believe that my health, healing ability and stamina are largely a result of
juicing.
My Doctors agree that I heal very fast.
When making straight carrot juice, I keep the pulp for other recipes.
Like a couple others here, I also add Psyllium powder to certain foods.
I have never concerned myself with lost fiber content from using an extractor, due to a fiber rich diet.

Vitolo,
Reactions: jeffp

lwien

I have never concerned myself with lost fiber content from using an extractor, due to a fiber rich diet.

I used to juice but for me, I've decided that it's better for my body to go to work to break down the fruits and veggies rather than the juicer doing all the work.

That does mean though that I am limiting the quantity of fruits and veggies that I intake because I don't juice anymore but I typically take in 4 to 5 servings of each (10 total) on a daily basis anyway.

Seems to be workin' for me and I have no doubt that yours is working for as well.

Edit: One thing about juicers though (along with the intake of 3 to 5 pounds of carrots, which has a lot of sugar) is your sugar intake which can really spike. No problem with that???

For me, it's not just the lack of fiber that juicers eliminate but also being that your body doesn't have to break down the fruits and carrots, you get a much faster intake of sugar which could be a concern for some, eh?

Last edited:
lwien,
Reactions: Vitolo

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I just got a ninja and love the smoothies we are making. I've been having one in the morning and my system is definitely getting cleaned out!

I just finished off smoothie made of tomato, spinach, carrot, onion, celery, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. I loved it!

stickstones,
Reactions: Vitolo

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
My 20 year old Champion, which I love, needs a new body and apparently hub simply because a piece of plastic broke off which will be about $70. In the interim I picked up a used Acme 7001 on Ebay for about 40 with shipping and I think it produces even better quality juice with dryer pulp, which I save for making quiche and sometimes minestrone. Unfortunately after the first round of juicing with the Acme it started making an incredibly loud rattling sound while juicing. When everything is disconnected and I turn in on, there's no unusual sound. I did some searching and it's kind of a known issue and there's a few theories - pulp is not balanced, the blade has to be replaced, a screw needs to be adjusted, or the bottom rubber band needs to be replaced. It's too bad - I'd love it to work properly. If anyone has had that exact situation with the Acme and knows how to fix it please let me know.

The one issue that I have with the Champion is that it warms the juice a little whereas that didn't happen with the Acme and it didn't happen with my first centrifugal juicer, an AEG Phoenix.

I have access to an older Panasonic juicer that's made in Japan and had very high ratings in Consumer Reports so for the time being that's what I'll probably be using.

One thing that I notice immediately from juicing is improved eyesight.

Vitolo

Vaporist
I get plenty of fiber in my diet. To add a ton of fresh extra nutrients at a low cost, a wide mouth juicer with almost any vegetable or combination makes quick work of a pile of Mother Nature's gifts.
I use jalapeños (seeded), beets... whatever my imagination comes up with. This juicer is Hamilton Beach. (various companies take turns making units like this for WalMart) It's about $50, and has worked for 5 years.
This bad boy can swallow an apple whole!
Keep it clean, and it will last a long time!
131544545-1538524726331458-5626771627100217143-o.jpg

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I also enjoy juices and smoothies but iwould advise anyone to be careful with fruit
only juices especially ,acidic ones,they have strong cleaning/detox effect ,which is not good to happen daily,or if you have weak liver or are on heavy medication . Also grapefruit juice can interfere with medications . https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/grapefruit-juice-and-some-drugs-dont-mix .
I started on the my vegan path years ago without much thought.I just stopped eating some foods and starting drinking strong fruit juices every morning.. I managed to go down to 45 kg from 65 kg before i realized i was loosing weight because of the the fruit juices ... :D I had to learned what a balanced diet is the hard way ) !

Juice cleanses are unnecessary and potentially harmful​

Regularly consuming high amounts of fruit juice has been associated with an increased risk of metabolic syndrome and obesity (25Trusted Source).

In addition, there is no evidence that your body needs to be detoxified by eliminating solid food.

Your body is designed to remove toxins on its own, using the liver and kidneys.

Furthermore, if you’re juicing with non-organic vegetables, you can end up consuming other toxins that come along with them, such as pesticides.

For those with kidney problems, a heavy consumption of juices rich in oxalate has been linked to kidney failure (29Trusted Source).

More extreme juice cleanses are associated with negative side effects, including diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom