Does Vapor Smell Bad?

Blazed

Hey guys, new to FC. Yesterday I purchased a Extreme Q and I'm new to vaping so I was using a whip passing it to about three other people and I can't smell any thing that smells bad yes two other people who weren't smoking with us said the room smelled horrible. Can any one confirm this, do the vapes stink a room up and if so any way to covers this up? thanks in advance.

Modnote: Title edited. Please use a descriptive title.

Blazed,

steiner666

Serial vapist
maybe the room already smelled horrible before vaping even came into the picture? lol.

this is largely subjective of course. I dont think vapor has much of a smell to it, and i dont think it lingers either. In my experience, if theres no combustion, the smell stays around about as long as the visible cloud of vapor does. So, of course, if you have multiple ppl blowing out vape hits in a smallish area w/o much of any air flowing in/out, your going to get a bit of a cloud. Sometimes you can't really see it either. I remember one day i was vaping with the blinds closed and the sun was streaming through a little opening in them and in that stream of light i could see vapor swirling around a good while after i let a hit out, even though it wasnt visible outside of the light beam.

I vape in a non-smoking office environment every day after my co-workers leave. I've had ppl come in shortly after vaping and no one has smelled anything, but it was just me, and i only took about 4-5 hits over the course of as many minutes. Then again, I've had someone surprise me WHILE i was taking a hit from my launch box, and I slowly let the hit out as i spoke to them and they didnt even notice.

In general, i dont think ppl will notice the odor unless they're trying to. What i usually try to do is heat up some food or something right before i vape, that way ppl cant smell anything past the aroma of a nice hot dish. Or vape in a smoking area, ppl will never smell it past cigarette smoke or butts. Vape near an open window or in a bathroom or somewhere with good ventilation if you're still paranoid. Wait longer between hits to prevent too much from building up. If youre vaping in a room w/o open windows/vents, try blowing your hit straight up maybe (ive found it to work well in rooms with higher ceilings at least... but dont do this at, say, a movie theater since you'll blow it through the projected light and it will be pretty visible lol).

always err on the side of caution tho of course. different ppl have different levels of olfactory sensitivity (cigarette smokers usually can't smell crap past their own hair/clothes), some ppl know what weed smells like some dont, different environments have different smells which may or may not work to blend/cover up the smell of weed. In general though, WHILE you're vaping worry about the smell - but by the time you've shut your vape off and it's cooled down, the smell should be gone too.

steiner666,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I personally think that vapor has a smell... but not as heavy as combustion. One thing I see time and time again people vaping saying there is no smell. To me it smells like someone left their stash sitting open in the room. So for people not in the know, they don't even notice that much. But for people who partake of MJ that are completely sober, they notice it in an instant.
If there is one thing I have learned over the years, when your under the influence you don't notice the smell. I have people come into my area within 15 minutes and are able to tell I just vaped in the room. But after 15 min they can't even tell. Now if you have yourself a small session you don't have to worry. But when you add multiple people or larger personal session, there will be a smell.
I've seen one of my friends try to vape inside a bar and got caught because of the smell.

DevoTheStrange,

caseball2051

I lose all sense of smell during and after.

Run an experiment with someone you trust. My brother has never seen or probably smelt it before and I asked him if he could smell it because i didnt want to 100% disrespect my parents.

he couldnt smell, and i havent gotten caught yet.

caseball2051,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I find that it has little or no smell. And when you're done vaping, the smell dissipates pretty quickly. What steiner666 says is true; space out yer hits. blow them upwards, use some Febreeze as a masking scent, etc. If I was concerned about covering up the smell, I would just leave an Airwick plugged in in the room where I was vaping.

Ever been somewhere, and you'll swear on a stack of bibles that you thought you just smelled MJ? Looked around and saw no one with a joint? Happened to me many times and tried to tell myself that I was just imagining it. I probably wasn't, and someone was probably vaping.

In comparison to smoking though, it really is minimal.

Tom

tdavie,

AgentGraves007

steiner666 said:
Then again, I've had someone surprise me WHILE i was taking a hit from my launch box, and I slowly let the hit out as i spoke to them and they didnt even notice.
WOW that takes some guts! I agree that at least in my bedroom, which is where i usually vape, it smells more like unsmoked herb than anything else. but literally one spray of cologne or an air freshner will wipe it out. and it's nice b/c it doesn't seemt to linger on fabric, mouth, or fingers! my gf hates the smell of smoke in general, and could always tell if i'd combusted even 5 hours earlier. but now, she never knows i've been vaping! lol yes it's sad i have to hide it but we don't live together so most evenings i do my thing and she does her's. when we R together i don't, but after me telling her about the vape high, she is curious to try it. usually MJ reacts weird with her but i suspect it's b/c she's been on wellbutrin for years. back when i used wellbutrin to quit cigs. (it worked really well) i also noticed that MJ made me feel more "weird" than high. That was off-topic, but yeah, i would never say there's NO smell, but it is MUCH easier to manage/cover up than combusting, i'm sure everyone will agree on that.

AgentGraves007,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I used to smoke in my dorm at college: I used a clear tube to exhale out a slightly cracked window. Of course, that wouldn't work too well in warm climes, but if most exhaled vapor makes it outside, it is bound to help maintain a fresher inside.

macbill,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Yeah I was using my launchbox in my room once and my mom came in after I took about 8 hits or so. She noticed it smelled somewhat like weed and she got sketched out. When she came back about 15 min later, she couldn't smell anything. Usually, if you're trying to hide the smell while vaping, you can always blow through some fabric of some kind (ie a shirt or towel). That usually does a good job in absorbing the odorous particles without causing the air or fabric to smell. If you're in bed, blowing through the blankets works well too. Any lingering smell will dissipate quickly.

Normally when I'm vaping and driving, I roll the windows down about 2cm to provide a small amount of ventilation which works very well in eliminating any possible odors. I got caught by the cops a long time ago after a sesh with my vg because I didn't ventilate, nor did I think I had to because I couldn't smell anything.. Well the cop could def smell it. Although the vg does give off thicker clouds then the LB.

I would say just space out the intervals between draws and with a small amount of ventilation, you should have nothing to worry about. As Steiner said, food can usually mask the slight odor. Normally
your mouth will be the source of any continual smell so eat something after you vape or chew come gum.

Defiantly more manageable then combusting.

HighSti,

Neverender

It definitely has a smell, but it is definitely not as pungent or lingering as combustion. A candle or incense and air circulation, in my experience, does an awesome job of covering up.

I actually think the most pungent part of vaping is the weed, not the vapor from the weed- if you open a stash jar full of dank to load up your vaporizer, the room is gonna reek initially.

Neverender,

AgentGraves007

lol...AWWWW YEAH!!! who would have ever thought the day would come where your stash stinks up your room more than using it?

AgentGraves007,

icanreadgood

to OP:

maybe you and your friends just have really bad breath. :) if this is the case, listerine strips work well

and to tdavie, i know what you're talking about (re: smelling jane outdoors when no one is around with a j), some common outdoor plants smell like some types of mj

icanreadgood,

sour

My girlfriend is really sensitive to weed and especially to weed smoke. I used to smoke outside only so I could keep things peaceful between us in regards to my habit. These days it's a lot different. I'm using my vaporizer right in the bedroom, with her in it and she is fine with it. The only time she really makes a comment is when I initially open the stash jar (like what Neverender stated in his post).

sour,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Can anyone shed any light on my concern? I have a LB and the smell is usually manageable. Im looking into getting a PD but after watching some videos/etc, it appears that that the PD produces a larger vapor cloud and due to my living conditions, Im a tad concerned with how much smell the PD produces? If anyone with both LB and PD can compare, that would be great too! :)

HighSti,

digglover

HighSti said:
Can anyone shed any light on my concern? I have a LB and the smell is usually manageable. Im looking into getting a PD but after watching some videos/etc, it appears that that the PD produces a larger vapor cloud and due to my living conditions, Im a tad concerned with how much smell the PD produces? If anyone with both LB and PD can compare, that would be great too! :)
I have both.
I'm not very good at masking the launchbox's smell. I have been caught in a public bathroom before :o. That's a buzzkill.

The PD however I have always had good luck with. I vape in my room and have had people come in during and 10-15 minutes after the process and not noticed a thing - But I'm not sure if they knew what weed smelled like.

If you use a sploof (tube filled with dryer sheets or better, activated carbon) and finish your tubes quickly you'll be golden. A faint smell emits from the tubes after vaping and while sitting in the PD so try and finish quick.

The biggest issue I've had is the smell coming from my stashjar.

digglover,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
digglover said:
I'm not very good at masking the launchbox's smell. I have been caught in a public bathroom before :o. That's a buzzkill.
yeah that would be a buzzkill! I'm sorry to hear that. I got really good masking the LB smell so I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with the PD. Sloof should work nice. My mom kinda knows what weed smells like so if it's not too obvious then I can get away with it.:ninja:

HighSti,

Bushido

I have had some apparent good luck with my LB. I was chillin in my room just layin back tokin on my box. I had hit it enough times to lose count. Now, my mom knows exactly what weed smells like. She bursts in the room and I barely have time to shove the LB in my jacket pocket. She says,"whats that smell? boy, you need to take a shower." :ninja: :rofl: :ninja:

Bushido,

smokeandskate

I've had a iinhale for a while and use it in my room a lot. As far as I know nobody knows a thing but I'm about to get a SSV and I'm wondering if the smell is gonna be too much

smokeandskate,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Ive vaped with my LB in class before.. nobody had any idea. The teacher wasn't the brightest bulb so i didn't expect him to ever think anything of me and the people next to me never even noticed the smell or the action.. I guess most people wouldn't think you're consuming marijuana right next to them in class. :lol:

HighSti,

max

Out to lunch
I'm about to get a SSV and I'm wondering if the smell is gonna be too much
You may have to watch your hits, especially if you kick up the temp. You can end up exhaling huge vapor clouds in the high temp range. It'll still smell much less than smoke and dissipate quicker.

max,

DoobieKeebler

I've been told it smells faintly of "fresh" weed or weed that hasn't been smoked/burned yet.

and that was said by someone who doesn't smoke pot and had come by immediately after I had finished a session on my extreme q

DoobieKeebler,
Top Bottom