• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

does vaping/smoking slows cold or Flu recovery?

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
wasn't sure how to search for such a question though obviously it's been asked.

i wonder whether having these minor cold viruses and vaping while recovering have any
negative effect on recovery?

tnx.
Hah, funny you should ask this, I'd been wondering the same as I've had Aussie flu for the past 3 weeks.

I, personally, have found that vaping made my chest much worse. In fact it felt as though I'd get a chest infection or bronchitis if I continued. It felt like I'd been punched in the lungs with each (light) draw and the body aches got worse too, really unpleasant.

I vaped in the early stages because it eased the body aches and boredom, but once it hit my chest I had to take a forced T-break.
I'm sure some people can probably get away with vaping right the way through, lucky them!

In terms of speeding up recovery, hard to say because you can't really A/B test it. What I mean is, if you vape and it clears up quickly, how do you know it wouldn't have done anyway even if you weren't vaping.

Craving my Omnivap and Milaana so much man!

Last edited:

rozroz

Hah, funny you should ask this, I'd been wondering the same as I've had Aussie flu for the past 3 weeks.

I, personally, have found that vaping made my chest much worse. In fact it felt as though I'd get a chest infection or bronchitis if I continued. It felt like I'd been punched in the lungs with each (light) draw and the body aches got worse too, really unpleasant.

I vaped in the early stages because it eased the body aches and boredom, but once it hit my chest I had to take a forced T-break.
I'm sure some people can probably get away with vaping right the way through, lucky them!

In terms of speeding up recovery, hard to say because you can't really A/B test it. I mean, if you vape and it clears up quickly, how do you know it wouldn't have done anyway even if you weren't vaping.

i'm sure there are enough people here that were sick and vaping/stopped and noticed if their immune system suffered. i'm trying it right now ;)
but you're right, every flu can be different so who knows.
maybe if you're feeling better, then vape and suddenly next day you're back a few steps.

shredder

Your body should tell you how to precede. If your coughing a lot, just quit vaping. If your chest hurts don't vape. Sometimes you just have to give yourself time to recover and heal. Medibles will help a lot and not irritate your breathing.

Alexis

In terms of speeding up recovery, hard to say because you can't really A/B test it. What I mean is, if you vape and it clears up quickly, how do you know it wouldn't have done anyway even if you weren't vaping.

Hope you are well past it soon man, you haven't let anything on anyway in your posts- no grumpy manflu syndrome haha!

Interesting what you report. You have seen me emphasising the direct link between my long running multiple respiratory infections and my varying tolerance for vaporizing.
And how I believe that if all infections were clear, the allergy symptoms would reduce massively.

I find this already 100% if the time my vapor allergy goes up and down in direct line with infection level, and is always location specific. As soon as I started the electrifier treatments regularly in Autumn, I lowered my throat infections quickly and suddenly vaping waa not bothering my throat at all. Like it completely bypassed it. Before, or when there is a lot of infection there, I suffer an apparent allergy type reaction and my throat was all sore and tore up.

Same applies to lungs. Just thinking about it all right now- I expect the infected areas are both inflamed and irritated, and therefore more prone to further irritation. And vapor is still irritating by nature to some extent.

But I also know for a fact that pathogens can cause a location based allergic reaction which subsides after the infection is cleared.
Get well soon buddy. Lovely day today for some autos where we are.;)

analytika

wasn't sure how to search for such a question though obviously it's been asked.

i wonder whether having these minor cold viruses and vaping while recovering have any
negative effect on recovery?

tnx.
All kinds of studies out there suggest immunosuppressant effects of THC and CBD.

Overactive immune system can itself cause health issues/complications.

But during a cold or flu I'd exercise caution.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
In my most recent experience, I had a contagious head/chest cold last xmas holiday and I recovered just as quickly as the non-partakers and I continued my use throughout my sickness. I am a medical patient so I had little alternative except edibles. I was able to tailor my vapor temperatures and density to medicate using vapor without complications. YMMV

Alexis

One thing to consider- I also like to rationalize (maybe "tell myself" a little ;)) that weed's antimicrobial propertie must SURELY have at least some beneficial effect. But worth considering too is that vaping and thc can be irritating. So when there is already a high level of irritation and inflammation in the respirstory tract due to infection, vaping could cause some aggravation and maybe slow recovery in that sense, even if it is not extending the duration of the actual infection.

jds

I've always vaped during colds. Never seemed to slow down recovery, though it also didn't speed it up. It just made most symptoms a lot more bearable, and made me sleep much easier.

As for the flu, I finally caught it last winter, after almost a decade of having avoided it. I vaped through most of it, even the first 2 days when I could not really get out of bed because I was so weak. It eased some pain and just made me sleep easier.

rozroz

I've always vaped during colds. Never seemed to slow down recovery, though it also didn't speed it up. It just made most symptoms a lot more bearable, and made me sleep much easier.

As for the flu, I finally caught it last winter, after almost a decade of having avoided it. I vaped through most of it, even the first 2 days when I could not really get out of bed because I was so weak. It eased some pain and just made me sleep easier.

That’s great to hear!

rozroz,

Hey Nineteen

I always quit vaping when I have a cold. I find that if I keep vaping it just makes the situation a lot worse. Sometimes it leads to sinus infections or Bronchitis. Now when I have an allergy attack in spring or fall, I usually do not quit. If I let my allergies stop me from vaping I would never vape. Once again though if it turns into a sinus infection then I will quit.

rozroz

I always quit vaping when I have a cold. I find that if I keep vaping it just makes the situation a lot worse. Sometimes it leads to sinus infections or Bronchitis. Now when I have an allergy attack in spring or fall, I usually do not quit. If I let my allergies stop me from vaping I would never vape. Once again though if it turns into a sinus infection then I will quit.

I guess it depends on the type of sickness.. i wouldnt wanna vape if i have a fever..

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It probably depends on how sick you are. I am low tempreture vaporizing with my Enano. I probably have my temp down by 20 degrees. I am drinking hot Chi tea as well. I usually vape while I have a cold. Have been taking Airbourne hopefully will lesson the duration.

I have some really tasty Graddaddy Purp. in my unit.;pd;:bigleaf:

I say if something doesn’t feel right don’t do it. If vaporizing is irritating your lungs it might not be right for you.

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I usually vape when I'm sick, without any adverse effects except for maybe some extra throat/chest irritation...but not enough to be a problem.

Of course, if my throat is already raw, then I may choose to stick to edibles for a couple of days.

Solomon

Talk to the Beard
I've found if I can vape slowly and at lowest possible heat, I can vape thru most colds/flus. When I get sick, I go back to my trusty old Vapir NO2, drop temps to around 375, and stretch the session out to about 5+ mins. For me the key is to vape w/out further irritating my throat/lungs. When I get a cold, I find cannabis works great at reducing aches and pains.

There actually haven't been any definitive studies that show cannabis reduces immune response to something like a cold or flu. Here is a recent (1/2017) NCBI assessment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425755/

Lot of medical tech stuff, but if you go to the conclusions, you get the idea. When we say "immune system" it's not just one thing - it's many mechanisms - some work together, some independently. For example, you can take a drug that reduces an inflammatory immune response (there's actually evidence cannabis does this), while having no effect on a disease fighting immune response.

Cannabis can apparently regulate parts of the human immune response system - suppressing an over-active system (like Crohn's or Arthritis) or aiding a lacking system (as w/ HIV) .

pxl_jockey

Just a dude
If it physically hurts or exacerbates your symptoms, then listen to your body. If I could not bear vaping due to sinus/respiratory illness, as a med user I would take 3.5 grams and make a green dragon tincture because that will yield more than enough to get a person through the average cold or virus.

I’d never tried making it until just recently, and :tup:. One of the first things I thought was, an ideal method of ingestion when sick. I’ll always have some on hand during the winter bug season from now on. Probably the rest of the year too, lol! :D

C No Ego

I've found if I can vape slowly and at lowest possible heat, I can vape thru most colds/flus. When I get sick, I go back to my trusty old Vapir NO2, drop temps to around 375, and stretch the session out to about 5+ mins. For me the key is to vape w/out further irritating my throat/lungs. When I get a cold, I find cannabis works great at reducing aches and pains.

There actually haven't been any definitive studies that show cannabis reduces immune response to something like a cold or flu. Here is a recent (1/2017) NCBI assessment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK425755/

Lot of medical tech stuff, but if you go to the conclusions, you get the idea. When we say "immune system" it's not just one thing - it's many mechanisms - some work together, some independently. For example, you can take a drug that reduces an inflammatory immune response (there's actually evidence cannabis does this), while having no effect on a disease fighting immune response.

Cannabis can apparently regulate parts of the human immune response system - suppressing an over-active system (like Crohn's or Arthritis) or aiding a lacking system (as w/ HIV) .

if Only= those tests were not smoke tests... smoking destroys a lot of bio-activity that could create metabolic pathways in the immune system... it is like the plant must come to trial by fire before being introduced into man...

a test of HIV patients and copious daily amounts of highly activated cannabis glandular resin ( RSO) that is super decarboxylated would be the test standard of receiving the actives cleanly and fully from the decarbed compounds that are not smoked and killed. and a mix of fresh off the plant raw cannabis ingested too along side the oil for even more anti oxidant metabolism of those cannabinoids...

chant86k

It's been a long time since we've covered this in any of my classes...but I do remember that cannabinoids can inhibit certain processes that occur in the healing of a respiratory infection (& other infections). I believe part of it has to do with the cannabinoid inhibition of calcium channels, but there is also another factor that I'm not remembering at the moment.

I did come across this study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903762/

Which mentions the anti-inflammatory effect of cannabis, and the fact that this could inhibit the healing process of a viral infection, in the short term. It also mentions, however, that for long-term infections, the anti-inflammatory aspects could be beneficial.

From what I remember, though. Yes, cannabis will likely make it take longer for you to heal from a respiratory infection.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Haven't had a cold or flu since I started vaping ( I'm not crediting the vaping for this). I have had respiratory problems recently, and was given prednisone . Vaping made it possible to cope with the prednisone. I did make an elixer from honey to put in tea if I get sick. Not sure if it will help or hurt, so I might just take a T-break if I get a cold or flu.

Top Bottom