Do you have kids?

aero18

vaporist
Looking through the thread about people's age made me think that some of you probably have kids, some may already be adults themselves.

If you have any children, do you vape with them? When did you start vaping with them? What do they think about your consumption of cannabis?

Did (or do you) have to keep it a secret?

aero18,

lwien

Twin sons. 28 yrs old. I only got into vaping about a year ago, so I the first time I vaped with them was about a year ago. Actually, I only vaped with one. The other doesn't like to get high.

I used to get high wayyy before they were born. But, I NEVER smoked weed, or anything else, for that matter, when they were growing up. So yeah, I kept it a secret from them. The way I see it, kids have enough to deal with and they need to learn how to deal with those things without changing their perception of reality. But my kids had special needs. But even if they didn't, I don't think I would have done anything differently.

But, with that being said, one of them just recently told me that they first smoked pot when they were 16. Didn't know it, but it didn't really surprise me. But, they didn't like it much back then, and didn't smoke pot again till they were in their mid 20's. One of them never smoked again after the first time. He just didn't like it.

lwien,

SSS

mmj patient under siege by the obama admin
i have a 3 year old daughter. i will keep my toking away from her but i will inform her about all that type of shit when she is older. if she wants to burn one with the old man when she's at an appropriate age that's fine by me

SSS,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Wow Aero.... Get out of my head :D This subject has crossed my mind A LOT recently! Great topic!

I have a 17yr old son but I'm under deep cover!! Weird thing is even though I have kept my love of the herb way away from him he has developed his own take on alcohol, drugs, etc. which eerily mirror my own even though I've always encouraged free thought. He's a serious kid and very anti drugs, partying, etc. He also is OCD like me and has anxiety issues unlike me. He's been studying psychology recently and has come to me with:

"Did you know that marijuana is being used for OCD and anxiety issues?"

He's he IQ, very well educated (home-schooled for most of his years) and VERY up to date on world events, etc. We openly discuss politics, religion, current events, etc. He is supportive of medical marijuana and I knows that I am as well.

In my heart I am pretty sure he will end up using herb and I will be okay with that BUT....

When I grew up I had no mother and my dad was a drinker/biker/etc. I did not have a normal upbringing! I was however a smart cookie and around enough 'normal' families to know the difference. There was always those mothers (fathers too perhaps but in my experience mothers) that would sit around drinking, smoking pot with KIDS. Man I knew even then it wasn't the best role-modeling! I also knew I NEVER wanted to be that kind of parent.

BTW.... My father...smoked herb around him my entire life as I'd rather be open about things. I also smoked with him a few times but he was a DRINKER so that would be when he was drunk and trying to act cool in front of whomever was around LOL.

I think about this topic a lot as my kid grows up! I actually look forward to the day I can be honest about that because I hate not being honest!!

Oh and he's always thought of 'potheads' as lazy layabouts. I think he'll be in for quite a shock that I am a 'pothead' as I've always worked my ass off running a couple businesses, school stuff, volunteer work and managing some crazy project on the side. I think that part will shock him most finding that his perception of potheads might be off a bit :D This part tickles me!

Lo,

Derf

First off, not married, no kids (personally)...

growing up I was pretty straight edge: didn't drink till end of high school, drank in college but didn't smoke weed till senior year. My parents were pretty out of the picture when it came to being open about sex, drugs, etc. when I was younger.

But I had a friends of all sorts.

Case 1: Highschool. The son of a very famous actor/comedian. His dad smoked, kept a "secret" stash from his son, but the son would occasionally raid it. I think the dad rolled J's, maybe had a small pipe? The son had a massive bong. The dad knew, didn't do anything about it, but also didn't join in. It was an unstated thing, like an unwritten law, that it just wasn't discussed.

Case 2: Highschool. Average Joe upper middle class kid. He smoked weed and so did his dad. When we were over at his house, maybe 5 or 6 of us, his dad would be talking to us, and then we'd start hitting a bong, and he'd ask his dad if he wanted to join. His dad did, but it always felt weird, awkward, but I think this was more the dad's personality.

Case 3: Highschool. Super rich class kid. His dad smoked weed and so did he, and the dad usually had faster/better hook-ups on it. The dad was Manic Depressive and OCD. He was always jacked up on some kind of meds. You'd be over at this kid's house and the dad would come up to you and start chilling with you. He was like a big kid. Very animated, social, could talk to you about anything. Totally open, talked these 15 year olds like they were 30 and friends of 15 years. THe dad would pull out a baggie and start packing a bowl, hit it, then offer it to the kids (he knew they also smoked). It was totally morally wrong, but he just felt "cool" and it worked.

None of those kids did very well in school, and I'm pretty sure that it had to do with all the weed they smoked. I believe there is a strong correlation between smoking pot and poor memory performance. And for that reason, if I ever have a kid of my own, if it comes up, I'm going to have to impose some kind of rules about not smoking weed. I picture a scene in my head like I catch them smoking, and I'm not mad, I can't be mad at that, kids are kids... but I ask them how long they've been doing it. Hopefully I'm smart enough that I just caught them as they were getting into it, and not that they've been doing it for years under my nose. If its during summer I tell them that once summer is over they have to stop. If it's during a school year, I tell them that I'm taking a good look at their grades, and if they drop so much as a letter, they are majorly, severely grounded!

On the other hand, if they are 28 and out of school, I couldn't care less if they are smoking.

Derf,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I've got a 7yr old daughter, but am also raising my 5 yr old Nephew as well (That one is autistic, and a handful)

DevoTheStrange,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
I have a 14 yo son and a 12 year old daughter.
I kept my usage away from them. That was hard as I was running a rolling paper company and now vaporizers....Since I feel there is a risk working within the industry, I keep a very conservative appearance in town. Rolling paper company paid for the kids DARE classes.
Right before I sold my paper company the police came to my house looking for a grow op that does not exist (at least not here). Just because a person gets mail from nutrient supply companies does not make him a grower. I wasn't home and the kids were next door (grandma lives next door, my mother in law)
Police show up, lots of police with swat and cars and trucks and little black outfits.
They go into my house, the kids see a bunch of cops and come over to ask what is going on.
The police tell my kids, we know there are drugs in the house.
Up till this point, my kids didn't think I used anything.
Fucking COPS outed me!!
My daughter called me to let me know there were police in the house, and I had to make the decision to come home or wait till they left. I went home to deal with it head on.
Cops found nothing,..nothing to show a grow op. They found and took a bunch of pipes, tools, my HotBox, my HashGlobe, my kiff screens, my rolling paper collection, and less than 7g of MJ.
They left and I never heard back from them. No charges, no oh sorry here is your stuff back.
Then I had to have "the talk" with my kids and explain the pros and cons of MJ and how it is not the same as cocaine, heroin or meth..... yea, DARE lumps them all together as BAD.
Kids took it pretty well and now I don't have to hide it from them, even-so, I do not blatantly use around them.
The issue of them wanting to use has not come up yet. it has been demystified and I think they view it as "an old people thing". I hope that if it ever does become an issue, that I will be able to share with them in the home instead of having them running the streets looking for it.
Good times good times.

Bruce@Zephyr,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
My daughter is too young to know, But I will eventually bring it up with her when she is older. She is a smart one, I know she is aware I am doing something she is not supposed to know about.

DevoTheStrange,

xantichristx

I got a 1 and 3 year old and leave my SSV on the bar at all times but don't use when there running around. I hope MJ is regulated when they get older here. Too me the usage is not the problem its where or who u purchase MJ from.

xantichristx,

Konrad_Zuse

Bruce@Zephyr said:
I kept my usage away from them. That was hard as I was running a rolling paper company and now vaporizers....Since I feel there is a risk working within the industry, I keep a very conservative appearance in town. Rolling paper company paid for the kids DARE classes.
Right before I sold my paper company the police came to my house looking for a grow op that does not exist (at least not here). Just because a person gets mail from nutrient supply companies does not make him a grower. I wasn't home and the kids were next door (grandma lives next door, my mother in law)
Police show up, lots of police with swat and cars and trucks and little black outfits.
They go into my house, the kids see a bunch of cops and come over to ask what is going on.
The police tell my kids, we know there are drugs in the house.
Up till this point, my kids didn't think I used anything.
Fucking COPS outed me!!
My daughter called me to let me know there were police in the house, and I had to make the decision to come home or wait till they left. I went home to deal with it head on.
Cops found nothing,..nothing to show a grow op. They found and took a bunch of pipes, tools, my HotBox, my HashGlobe, my kiff screens, my rolling paper collection, and less than 7g of MJ.
They left and I never heard back from them. No charges, no oh sorry here is your stuff back.
Then I had to have "the talk" with my kids and explain the pros and cons of MJ and how it is not the same as cocaine, heroin or meth..... yea, DARE lumps them all together as BAD.
Kids took it pretty well and now I don't have to hide it from them, even-so, I do not blatantly use around them.
The issue of them wanting to use has not come up yet. it has been demystified and I think they view it as "an old people thing". I hope that if it ever does become an issue, that I will be able to share with them in the home instead of having them running the streets looking for it.
Good times good times.
Wow that's some f'd up crap right there. They broke into your house when you weren't there? Don't they need a warrant and all that crap? They broke into your house because you had mail from nutrient supply companies thats, pretty sad they thought you grew lol.... Well at least you know if they start you already have christmas presents for them :D.

I don't have kids, however in the future I would like 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl if possible, I'm only 19 now and have a lot more to live before it's time for kids. For me I want to educate them about drugs and let them make the choice. I don't want to send them to DARE, to me they SEEM TO ME like a really ANTI-Drug foundation that just says everything is bad and will kill you, but wont explain what's what. That's my opinion I don't know what they do, but from what you said "classifying everything as BAD" I can assume the rest is true. When the time comes if they do it I wont be mad at them, because I do it, how could I be mad at that point. Anyways by the time it's all said and done, the country will probably legalize a lot of stuff, so until that point in time, it's vape time :).

Konrad_Zuse,

Derf

Bruce@Zephyr said:
I kept my usage away from them. ...Then I had to have "the talk" with my kids and explain the pros and cons of MJ and how it is not the same as cocaine, heroin or meth..... yea, DARE lumps them all together as BAD.
So do you think that since you've had a talk with them the weight of hiding something from them is now off your shoulders. Even though the circumstances of the situation of why you were telling them may not have been ideal. Are you glad you had a talk with them, or would you have liked to postpone the talk and wait until they were older? How much older? Or would you have never said anything to them if you didn't have to? Do you think them knowing will make them more curious about it, and if they asked, at what point would you let them try it?

Konrad_Zuse said:
I don't have kids, however in the future I would like 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl if possible, I'm only 19... Anyways by the time it's all said and done, the country will probably legalize a lot of stuff, so until that point in time, it's vape time :).
Love how you specify not just 3 kids but the sex of them. Lol, thought that was funny.

But I don't think MJ will be "legalized". Many states are decriminalizing it, even adding medical marijuana laws. But unfortunately I don't see full legalization happening. Not unless the government can make money off of it. Which would mean that you would have to have a license to grow it, which they would have a really hard time enforcing since MJ can grow just about everywhere!

THe politicians who are in office now were the 20 and 30-something year olds during the 60's and 70's - the biggest drug-fest of all. So if all these old birds, who were once the young crowd into smoking grass, dropping acid, rock and roll and making love, are this tight-assed now, then there isn't much hope for it getting fully legalized.

Derf,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Derf said:
Bruce@Zephyr said:
I kept my usage away from them. ...Then I had to have "the talk" with my kids and explain the pros and cons of MJ and how it is not the same as cocaine, heroin or meth..... yea, DARE lumps them all together as BAD.
So do you think that since you've had a talk with them the weight of hiding something from them is now off your shoulders. Even though the circumstances of the situation of why you were telling them may not have been ideal. Are you glad you had a talk with them, or would you have liked to postpone the talk and wait until they were older? How much older? Or would you have never said anything to them if you didn't have to? Do you think them knowing will make them more curious about it, and if they asked, at what point would you let them try it?
Damn,.. lots of questions all at once,...I would have held out a couple years to talk with them about it. My son is getting to an age where he will be exposed to it at high school (no pun intended). So the talk was inevitable. I think it is better not to have to hide it. I think hiding it makes them wonder what was up. Till the police came and outed me, if they came around me while I was using I would stop what I was doing and deal with whatever issue they came to me with. I didn't make a big deal about cannabis and just pretended it was an everyday thing like cigarettes. So they had been exposed but didn't put it together what it was till the popo told em. Thanks PoPo. I do not think it has made them more curious but they are more aware.

My take on recreational cannabis is that kids should not use it, I don't think a person should try altered states till their body and mind has developed enough to handle it. As a general rule I would say 18, with the understanding that everyone matures at different rates. If you can get drafted to go and kill for your country you should be able to have a toke or a drink as well. IMHO.

Bruce@Zephyr,

Konrad_Zuse

Derf said:
Konrad_Zuse said:
I don't have kids, however in the future I would like 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl if possible, I'm only 19... Anyways by the time it's all said and done, the country will probably legalize a lot of stuff, so until that point in time, it's vape time :).
Love how you specify not just 3 kids but the sex of them. Lol, thought that was funny.

But I don't think MJ will be "legalized". Many states are decriminalizing it, even adding medical marijuana laws. But unfortunately I don't see full legalization happening. Not unless the government can make money off of it. Which would mean that you would have to have a license to grow it, which they would have a really hard time enforcing since MJ can grow just about everywhere!

THe politicians who are in office now were the 20 and 30-something year olds during the 60's and 70's - the biggest drug-fest of all. So if all these old birds, who were once the young crowd into smoking grass, dropping acid, rock and roll and making love, are this tight-assed now, then there isn't much hope for it getting fully legalized.
Yeah I thought this up in a way that's good. 2 boys 1 girl and I want the oldest to be a boy, that's it. Mostly out of anything I want the oldest to be a boy, and if I get 2 girls or no girls that's fine too.

About the legalization they can tax it, they already have concepts like malboro greens and such. I think it will happen, it's just happening slowly. Cali is about to become legal so I've heard via the forum and news. I think the Gov't is taking it slow so that they can actually tax it and stuff. The gov't would tax different things and make money out of it. Most states, yes are decriminalized, and yes I think it will all fall into place soon.

Konrad_Zuse,

lwien

Konrad_Zuse said:
Cali is about to become legal ........
Um..........I don't believe that it's right around the corner. We've got some major hurdles to overcome. A few years at least. Could be more like 5 to 10. Still trying to bang out the medical use guidelines.

lwien,

Konrad_Zuse

lwien said:
Konrad_Zuse said:
Um..........I don't believe that it's right around the corner. We've got some major hurdles to overcome. A few years at least. Could be more like 5 to 10. Still trying to bang out the medical use guidelines.
I meant to say that it is on it's way to becoming legal soon, a lot of stuff is going on, so lets hope soon :).

Konrad_Zuse,

Bruce@Zephyr

Vapor Fan
Manufacturer
Konrad_Zuse said:
lwien said:
Konrad_Zuse said:
I meant to say that it is on it's way to becoming legal soon, a lot of stuff is going on, so lets hope soon :).
Judging by the other post and the average age of the readers on this site,.. 10 years could be considered soon.

Bruce@Zephyr,
Top Bottom