Do you ever think the dispensary gets it wrong?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
i just bought a half of an ounce of what I thought was GrapeApe. I had bought this strain from the same farmer a couple of months ago and it was exceptional and tasted wonderful. I am a huge fan of GrapeApe and I know what it's suppose to taste like. I was waiting for him to get it back in again. So I bought a half ounce thinking I was getting the same quality.

Well I was wrong. Not the same quality at all. It doesn't taste like much of anything except it has a hint of diesel strain. It gets me medicated but so does a lot of other strains. I plan on saying something about this when I go in again. I stocked up because the medical laws are changing here in WA.

Do you ever think you are being sold another strain entirely? I don't think what I have is GrapeApe, he slapped another name on this on purpose or by accident. I want to believe this was a mistake because I've always really liked his products. I'm not sure what happened?

I hope he didn't put a different name on a strain thinking it would sell quicker.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Derrrpp

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Could be a mistake, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but worth bringing up. One of the medical shops nearby has a policy on edibles (sadly not with flower or concentrate), if they don't work you can bring them back for a refund, unless you eat too much. I don't know if this says so much about customer service, or the edible market being inconsistent.

The dispensaries here are always throwing jars in your face to inspect, so if I go in knowing what to expect and it seems to fall short, I pass up on it. Then there's the concentrates, blind faith =/

Who really knows except the dispensary? You have to trust your eyes and your nose. I always give bud the terpene sniff test and if it isn't right I don't care what they call it, I'm not buying.

cptchronic

Could possibly just be a different phenotype. Strain lineages this day in age are a hodge podge of breeding experiments so it's hard to track what strains are the real deal and which are just good imitators.

I currently have some purple urkle that I know for a fact is purple urkle but 1 batch is super purple and has a sweeter grape taste. The other has a more kushy side to it but significantly less purple. Both are good just different in the end result.

I found this discussion on icmag talking about the lineage of purple urkle and i thought grape ape was mentioned a few times but it's actually grape stomper. However just the discussion over urkle history can probably help give you insight on the difference in your grape apes so I thought it might be relevant.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=265648&page=3

Last edited:

HomeFree

Maybe you are used to a certain clone and this was seed grown? Maybe there was a mistake though. If it's the same farmer then maybe it is a mistake. I'm not sure if Grape Ape is available in seed form. I don't buy any herb I can't smell myself. Do they not allow that in your area? I will narrow it down to 3 and then smell them again. :D My nose is wrong every once in a while as for effect, but the taste is usually true to the smell.

HomeFree,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The GrapeApe that I have smell fine to sniff it. The vapor doesn't have the notable grape taste normally that strain produces. This has a diesel type taste like NY Diesel. It gets me medicated I just had assumed it would be like the strain that I had the 2 months previous.

I've bought GrapeApe at least 20 times over the last 2 years. This taste nothing like any of them. When I go back I will talk to him and find out what happened. If I would have known I was getting this strain I would have not bought 14 grams. I probably would not have bought it at all. It was my assumption.

I realize plants vary but they don't vary this much. I know that one may have a more intense flavor than another. One time it might be drier than another time. This strain taste too different to be the same. Maybe it was water cured? I know nothing other than it takes away the flavor and smell. This smells like skunk.

Last edited:
CarolKing,

cptchronic

Unless it was grown from clone, the variability in each seed could be tremendous depending on how stable the original producer was able to make the genetics.

Since grape apes a cross of 3 strains and those are made from multiple strains. The end results could be highly variable.

Look up the strain Chernobyl and search for the Golden Ticket phenotype vs what other phenotypes look like and you will see what I mean hopefully.

Agree with most statements above, it could very well be variation within the strain or simply human error, in which case it's more a case of was this on purpose or an actual innocent mistake?
Hope you get it sorted!

Havelock Vetenari,
Reactions: farscaper

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Oh come on, all you Americans have got too used to the good life.....

This is what buying cannabis is about, it's a lottery, could be amazing, could be shite.....

Seriously come to the UK and see what you get, everything is either cheese or lemon haze and is always neither....

And is probably covered in some nasty shit to make it weigh more, and is certainly not cured....

Think yourselves lucky, your getting too picky.....

Ah I'm just kidding, you should get what you pay for, and considering how far ahead your county is, this shouldn't be happening.....

If it was just a very different pheno, it should have been labeled as such, right????

cptchronic

I'd say this is one of the biggest problems over here is misunderstanding of phenotypes and people creating their own crosses and calling them such and such strain just to turn a profit.

I don't live in a legal state so my options are more limited, but I have visited dispensaries multiple times. Even at each dispensary the variations exist.

This is my understanding to why this happens. A lot of strains we love today are clone only or somebody eventually made seeds.

Say person A created strain #1 by mixing strains #2 #3 and #4 and then he found 1 phenotype that just was absolutely amazing. If person B tried to replicate this he would need the exact same 2 3 and 4 strains but more likely than not he might have a slightly different variation of one or all of those 2 3 and 4 strains.

This is where the variation sets in because even though it could be the same cross as person A, person B could have a significantly different end result depending on where he got his original plants to cross and how he crossed the plants.

Now person B is left with a strain he thinks is strain #1 when genetically it's a completely different strain. Unless he was able to stabilize his genetics. But with soooo many breeders now in this explosion of legalization, the variation has become tremendous because we now have inexperienced people trying to produce strains that are muddling up our best cannabis genetics.

It's honestly gonna be hit or miss each time depending on your producer. I mean I know all of the cannabis I've ever gotten, no 2 batches have ever been identical unless it was coming from the same batch of the same plants.

davesmith

Glass Blower
Take it back. I took some weed back to a local dispensary recently and they were great about it. Totally cool and swapped it for something more to my liking.

Top Bottom