Do you ever look back and think, "I wish I'd been using MJ then"?

BuffaloBlaze

I tried weed for the first time at a fairly late age--my mid-twenties--having taken my first vapor drag only a few months ago. (My smoking experience is limited to accidentally overheating the Vapor Genie. The choking fits were enough to convince me that smokers are crazy.) Now that I have some idea what to expect from marijuana--or at least from my present stash of bud, which is all I've ever tried--I find myself thinking wistfully of burdensome past events which a few vapor hits could have made tolerable, and maybe even fun.

I'm presently thinking of the time I stood in line to greet guests at my sister's wedding reception. As far as I know, I was the only person at the event who didn't belong (at least nominally) to a certain religion. I don't exaggerate when I say that at least one out of every four adult guests who approached me (and there were a lot of guests) coughed up some statement or question which blithely presumed I was one of the flock.

"Why haven't we seen you at church?"

"Where did you serve your mission?"

"Have you served your mission yet?"

"Which ward do you attend?"

For the sake of my sister's happiness I kept my tongue mostly sheathed, though I did once slip and tell a man who had informed me it wasn't too late for me to serve a mission that it wasn't too late for him to become an atheist. But that came toward the end, when I was wearing thin. Through most of the gauntlet I maintained my civility if not my poise, occasionally giving ignorance a polite correction but mostly passing it over. But I could feel myself sweating angrily, and the frequent sidelong glances from guests made it obvious that I wasnt concealing anything. What bothered me most wasn't the ignorance, which is easily forgivable, but the urgent need to be somewhere else which seized so many people once their illusion was corrected. Often, they seemed to come as close as they dared to telling me outright that I was being shunned. Honey, should we get punch? Have you had cake yet? Whats that over there? Is that old Bob Simmons? We should have a chat with him. Have you seen the garden? What am I pointing at, way over there? I dont know yet, but its obviously very important! Oh, its a potato bug. How fascinating. Honey, should we leave the godless boy alone and examine the potato bug?

Enter weed. When Im high, Im incapable of taking offense, even when offense is clearly intended. (My username, BuffaloBlaze, is a grateful nod to the impenetrable hide I grow when I inhale.) Once while I was high, just for the hell of it, I conjured the memories of people whod wronged me and tried to make myself hate them. I couldnt do it, and in fact felt exactly the opposite way. (Thats saying something, considering that a few hours earlier, Id been happily imagining one of these people in the role of the guy who gets left in the bathroom to rot at the end of Saw.)

What a different day that would have been if Id been high. Id have greeted every act of coldness with a genuine smile. Id have kept my grace intact. And Id have appreciated the perfumed and painted women, the lush and tranquil city sprawling below the terrace, and the fiery purple sunset, which thanks to my anger were all so distant they might as well have been trapped in a TV I was only half watching.

When do you wish youd had Mary Jane for a companion?

BuffaloBlaze,

MileHigh

I wish I had been ripped during the time I took to read that post. Maybe it wouldn't have pissed me off so much.:mad:

MileHigh,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
If you had appeared to be under the influence (of anything), I'm sure it would have been worse. I mean, if you had started giggling hysterically, poking your finger into the eyes of guests, a different outcome would have certainly ensued.

But you were there for your sister on her day, so all is well. Sometimes you have to take one for the people you love. Still, a couple of good hits does brighten up events.

macbill,

ClemsonVapor489

-BuffaloBlaze: Sounds like you have my dad's "disease," if he was talking to someone he didn't like or respect, they knew it and everyone else in the room knew it. He just could not hide it.

ClemsonVapor489,
Top Bottom