Do you cough still when vaping vs when you combusted?

Vaping will rarely make me choke and has only done so once in the last year or so.

But sometimes I will hand my vape to a friend and they will cough their lungs out like they just took a bongload.

Did you cough when you first started vaping and cough less when vaping now, or still always cough up a lung, or never got 'coughy' from vaping at all? Do you think it is force of habit, like a learned response? I have taken a few vapor bongloads that made me cough up a lung but that is really rare for me.

The noobs always get small hits when vaping, and almost always start choking. I don't get it. Usually they are heavy weed smokers though.

I know a LOT also depends on strain as well as the vape and size of the hit. But just in general I have noticed people new to vapes cough like mad and they generally take fast drags that create little vapor. And I only have owned a Solo and an Air, which are not gigantic hitter compared to a powerful plug in unit. Though they aren't a slouch either.
I coughed WAY more when I started vaping again than I would from smoking, huge fits. It's gotten much better, they're pretty equal now. But on occasion, vapor hits wil get me in a nonstop cough situation. Yay, allergies.

herbivore21

This will depend a lot on the vape as to whether you cough and to what extent when vaping.

I find that if I keep vaping a bowl of flowers in a convection vape that towards the end, whilst reasonable vapor is still being produced, it gives me a nasty dry hacking cough. This is probably irritation from higher volume of thermal degradation byproducts of inactive plant material being heated towards the end of the bowl when the more volatile actives have been boiled off the stuff.

Buds in general I find harsher on the throat than concentrates, and I exclusively vape everything through water. However, conduction vapes can be dangerous for getting too harsh too.

I find that using my vapman with high end 3/4 melt hashes if I get a little too eager with the torch and vape it a little longer than I should have that I get that slightly charred flavor but not smoke (like my house doesn't get any smell of smoke) I will get a super chesty congesty cough the next morning (I use this kinda hash to medicate my insomnia). Not nearly as harsh as smoker's cough though - but it is important to remember, most from my part of the world combusted bud mixed with tobacco and that is a whole other level of harshness!

Dabbing my winterized, sterilized absolute shatters I find the very least irritation by far, I don't ever find myself coughing from this unless I take in more vapor than my lungs can fit (inhaling anything aside from air in this fashion will lead to the same result!). The D-nail infiniti with sapphire insert combo works a treat to prevent this problem, since you really can't do big enough dabs to have your hit make you run out of oxygen (because you need to ensure your dab doesn't melt over the sides of the sapphire and into the titanium).

The quality of material you are using is gonna have a huge effect on this too.

herbivore21

For concentrate vaping, especially, quality of product makes a difference.
Definitely, but thankfully those that know me here know that the only concentrates I vape are hashes that almost fully melt or crystal clear absolute shatters that couldn't be anymore pristine and harder than glass :D

It is so true though that concentrate quality can vary a hell of a lot, and there are loads of concentrates I have seen that leave me thinking I would rather stick to flowers lol

herbivore21,

Jaindoh

I have fibromyalgia, and the coughing fits from smoking -- probably bronchitis -- were causing me terrible muscle spasms.

Dry vapor is still harsh on me, but through a waterpath and some diffusion it's all but painless. I've gone completely combustion-free for the past 18 months over it.

HomeFree

Very nice responses guys.

My friend who used to cough all the time when we would vape doesn't cough from it any more since I sold him my Solo.

Once I get a claisen adapter so we can pull through both at the same time though, I imagine both of us might cough.

Tonight I vaped some weed all the way through up to a pretty high temp, and it got past the burnt popcorn taste and into a really harsh burnt popcorn taste, like charred popcorn. It was irritating on my throat for sure.

HomeFree,

SUIGENER1S

I have coughed once or twice in a years use. When I smoked flower I had to cough I needed to have a hard hit to feel like I got a good rip. Now no cough and great clean high awesome clean thc taste I cant go back to pure flower I feel dirty now after smoking, Stinky, dry mouth, bad breath sticky stinky fingers.

SUIGENER1S,

KimDracula

I definitely cough far less from vaping vs. combustion. It's pretty night and day generally but I can sometimes get irritated from vaping in a couple situations that are really pretty rare.

Sometimes a low temperature hit at the beginning of a bowl (I only use an Extreme Q until I receive my Cloud Evo; no portables) that barely produces any visible vapor but a lot of flavor can irritate my lungs and make me cough. The other is a rare instance when I get an especially large cloud of some potent vapor and cough from the sheer THC punch to the chest.

I do use a little bit of water filtration at all times these days to get a balance of flavor and conditioning which certainly contributes to the smoothness of the hits. I found that when I first got the EQ and was using it with just a dry whip (and still being used to smoking at the time) it would be irritable to me. Once I got used to vapor that became less true, but I found I still preferred at least a little bit of water filtration. When you first start to vaporize you also don't necessarily know what a hit is supposed to feel like and the pull may be very different than what you're used to as well, all making it more likely for rookie vapers to cough, imo.

(Wow, I didn't realize how much Jimmy Cricket's post above said almost exactly what I did, but far more succinctly)

Tommy10

Hard out smoker/vaper and I still cough more than you're average bear to this day and funnily enough probably just as often vaping as bonging. Although with the vape it's a couple coughs and I'm good, if I rip a big bong hit and start coughing... Any smoke within the next two or three minutes will set me off again! And cough far more aggressively with smoke vs vapor.

CharSadehBeast

In general, I have a habit of taking small hits whether I vape or burn.

Currently, I have an Arizer Air and no matter what I try I am not able to get the hits I am chasing. My old Pax resulted in bigger clouds but I still prefer the Air

CharSadehBeast,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
In general, I have a habit of taking small hits whether I vape or burn.

Currently, I have an Arizer Air and no matter what I try I am not able to get the hits I am chasing. My old Pax resulted in bigger clouds but I still prefer the Air
If you continue to "burn" all the time you won't get the satisfaction you want from your vaporizing sessions. It takes a few weeks to make the change but you will be better off. You will have a more enjoyable relationship with vaporizing.

I have both the Solo and the Air and find satisfaction with both of them.

Plenty FCers take the occasional spliff but most of us can't take combusting any longer. If that happens to you, you will know that you've crossed over.

This is a thread talking about whether we cough. I try not to cough if I can avoid it, that's why I vaporize.

Last edited:

VapeHeadz

i've been vaping full time (no combustion) for over 2 years now and I have definitely noticed way less coughing on my part than when I used to smoke bongs. The difference is amazing, not only the cough but I now rarely have chest infections or cough up yucky gunk.

I own a solo and an extreme q and I have noticed I can make myself cough a bit off the Extreme Q if I take massive draws.. But the solo I find it very rare now to make me cough at all.

VapeHeadz,

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Smoking, Dabbing, Vaping, Nothing makes me cough. I think I broke my reflex.
Back in the 80's, fireman that would never cough were called leather lung... a enviable quality then. I was never a "leather lung", but could hold my own, and take huge joint hits. Vaping is so much smoother...

Back when I was going to a few good jobs a week, I'd spit black for days following each good fire - the smell of smoke would come from my pores the whole next day (I stunk after a good "feed"). "Smoking" was barely noticeable with all of the other shit I was inhaling. When I retired, of course, my lungs got a huge break, and once again with the switch to vaping. Living in a garage for 24 hours at a clip, with a diesel engine started 20 times a day, probably didn't help either.

BTW - lungs clear as a bell, even after 40 years smoking, 20 years fighting fires in Brooklyn's crime ridden neighborhoods. Maybe the expectorant-ness of THC has helped, even when I was combusting!

Last edited:

livewithkindness123

I think its mostly the vape . I have 3 vaporizers 2 do not make me cough and one does. The one that does its after the 3 to 4th hit . It's also the strongest one after the 3 rd hit the herbs are spent all up and I'm gone. The other 2 I have to go through almost 2 cycles to get there .

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I'm 3 weeks into the crossover from combustion to vaping. With the help of my eq which I love. Waiting on my ddave mods. Anyway the first few days were awful really. I swear I have never coughed that much combusting. Still got amazingly high in an all new way for me, so didn't affect that. But was almost unbearable even with constant drink. But 3 weeks later it's now pleasurable. More so than smoking. I don't crave smoke anymore, I crave vapour.
The vapour is still very tickly but I like that feeling of nearly coughing but not. I'm not sure if my body has got used to it or if iv just learned to use my machine better. I don't know anyone else who vapes here in uk so I have nothing to compare to.

Degas83

I've never been a smoker, so at first, if I took too big of a rip at a higher temp, I'd start coughing a bit. I find now when I vape, I keep a nice cold glass of OJ beside me, if I feel like I took too much and I'm going to start hacking a lung, I take a few sips, and the cough goes away.

ZC

I cough sometimes but not nearly as much. Only on very large hits. A lot of heat can make me cough regardless of if it's vapor or smoke.

goofygreen

Like most, I may cough every once in a long while. If I take a long t break and end it with a big hit, I will probably cough. But the coughs are way tamer than those from smoking. I remember I once hadn't smoked for a week or two, and I met someone with a decent sized, quick clearing bong. I took a rip and had an at least 20 minute cough rampage. At first they were all so often, I could hardly get a breath. They slowed down but wouldn't go away.

My friends that haven't vaped before seem to always cough. I think they kinda aren't expecting it to be as smooth or as strong it is. Sorta like a sugary drink.

Top Bottom