Do Vapes Produce True Vapor

bluenavey00

Arizer Air Aficionado
A friend shared a link on Facebook about the dangers of e-cigarettes, I don't use them, but they contain lots of chemicals and apparently aren't great for you. The website I was looking at was:
http://stillblowingsmoke.org/#health

One interesting point it mentions:

"First off: the vapor thing. If you think back to high school chemistry, you might recall that vapor is the gaseous state of a substance. But e-cigs actually emit an aerosol, which is a suspension of particles within a gas. Why does that matter to anyone except chemists? Because your lungs and small particles are not friends. They can cause irritation and all sorts of respiratory problems."

I know e-cigs and vaping some herb in a vape are completely different but I was wondering if the point it makes there is true? The clouds that come out a vape, are they the THC and other chems in their gaseous state. Or is it suspension of particles within a gas."

bluenavey00,
Reactions: bounce5

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
What is Vaporizing and how does it work?
Vaporizing involves heating plant material, commonly cannabis (we will use cannabis as a basis for this article) or tobacco, to boil off active ingredients into a vapor which is inhaled.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

Taste
Taste can vary depending on many factors such as the strain being vaporized and method used. Generally the taste is similar to the aroma given off by the herb itself, some describe it as sweet and hashy. By most accounts the most flavorful vapor is produced during the initial inhalations, and diminishes the more the herb is cooked, eventually producing a taste similar to popcorn.

Check out Vaporpedia that's where I got the above info.

CG420

Over the horizon u can see the edges of the Earth
That website is part of the new public TV advertisement used to inform parents that the suggested method of today's cigerette smokes are through the vapors of e-liquids. They want to ban the sales of electronic cigarettes due to the overwhelming increase of sales in these producte especially among middle and high school students. Many places sell these devices which includes picking out a certain flavor to your preference for nicotine.

In some ways, it has taken an effect on cannabis culture as well. Many will use methods to create almost pure oil cartridges that often will taste like the buds from the shop (assuming you spend for quality not the cheap price.) If there is anything we should limit is the commercial growth of tabacco and funding from the government. I also would like more research to be done on cannabis to deal with the underlaying fact that tabacco is one source of population control. It's also the reason why it's so much cheaper to have a neatly packaged cigerette box sold for under $10 bucks in the US.

Non-violent crimes are imposed on cannabis patients for possession of a controlled substance. Isn't cigerette also a controlled subatance as well? What makes tabacco use more beneficial? Maybe perhaps if you feel too drunk and have a few smokes you'll be up and ready to drive? Or how about the fact that it makes you look so grown up? Let's face it people, that was back in the days when commercials and everything we see and hear from the news/media is true because that's all they exposed Americans to and that's how brainwash works. Isolation becomes control. We know how easy it's like to be bullied and picked on, this is the same way the justice system is treating folks who smoke cannabis. They make it seem like we're the odd one out when really there's nothing wrong with the nature of it and how it's produced.

If this nation were to have proper education and factual drive on health concerns, we would have an increase of quality in medicine and technology essential for using cannabis. You can't possibly have a vape for a cigerette. I mean, it would be no point. No taste, no high differences within temperature zones. We can only be more in control with one substance and not the other. So what's the meaning of a controlled substance? Google describes it for us as drugs that are easily obtained for abuse and/or dependence. Now that's strange.. Shouldn't it include alcohol or cigerettes as well? You don't get written up for those things as a controlled substance when you're caught drunk driving because of it's legality and the history in the past has led it to form its own sections in liquors and gas stations. Suddenly, it's all under the supervision of the sales clerk/associate to make sure who gets what.

I'm all for downright tabacco prohibition in exchange for more public education on cannabis-related use.

max

Out to lunch
They can cause irritation and all sorts of respiratory problems."
I can offer some real world evidence concerning irritation and respiratory problems. I was about to quit smoking/using mj about 10 years ago because the smoke was bothering my lungs, and I had quit smoking cigs years ago. I discovered vaporizing and switched to vapor only. I've had no lung issues in the last 10 years of vaping.

The bottom line is that it's best to only inhale fresh, clean air, but no matter what the true state of vapor is, scientifically speaking, there's no doubt that it's far less irritating to the body than smoke.

.... the dangers of e-cigarettes, I don't use them, but they contain lots of chemicals and apparently aren't great for you.
Lots of chemicals? Not really 'lots'. Cigarettes contain lots of chemicals- over 4000, including 43 known carcinogenic compounds and 400 other recognized toxins. As with mj smoke vs. vapor, there's no comparison, safety wise, between cigs and e-cigs. That said, IMO e-cigs should be used to wean yourself off of real cigs, then you quit the e-cig as well.

Detonator

The E-cig is saving me from myself.. I have been using them since 2008.. I couldn't breath right now I'm much better..

This study is likely more Bull shit put out by Big Tobbacco.... I don't believe a fucking word of it... All Fucking twisted truths and LIES LIES LIES...

I don't have the time or energy to explain why this is going to hurt so many if they choose to believe it...

I will say this... these people worry about there kids getting an e-cig and puffing away.. Fuck those kids.... They don't know a damn thing about trying to help them with nicotine addiction that is likely a predispositioned from 100's of years of nicotine use by there parents and grandparents..

If you have kids and your parents smoked your kids are pre dis positioned to nicotine addiction,, you would be a smart parent to offer a 15-16 yo an e-cig before they got a hold a a real cigarette and start a smoking tobacco to satisfy there predisposition for a nicotine addiction that may lead to and cancer and heart disease cased by smoking tobacco. instead of just ingesting and blowing out scary water vapor with nicotine in it... big difference...

andrewburgess

"First off: the vapor thing. If you think back to high school chemistry, you might recall that vapor is the gaseous state of a substance. But e-cigs actually emit an aerosol, which is a suspension of particles within a gas. Why does that matter to anyone except chemists? Because your lungs and small particles are not friends. They can cause irritation and all sorts of respiratory problems."

I know e-cigs and vaping some herb in a vape are completely different but I was wondering if the point it makes there is true? The clouds that come out a vape, are they the THC and other chems in their gaseous state. Or is it suspension of particles within a gas."

technically if you can see it it's not a vapor, it's a condensing vapor; thus particles. for our purposes there is no difference between mist, cloud, aerosol or condensing vapor; they are are all the same and we tend to slightly misuse the term vapor when we mean a visible condensing vapor.

so i think this is a vocabulary red herring. which chemical goes into your lung is more important.

larger particle size can make you cough more and you can get the same effect with a water mist. i think that is your lungs protective reaction to dust/solid particles/liquids being mis-triggered by the tiny droplets of thc (or water).

to really nitpick, the word suspension refers to particles that can fall out, like a dust cloud. smoke has particles like that; soot, ash, the shit that ends up on your furniture and not as a gas.

and finally, the danger of e-cig type vaporizers in my opinion is the glowing red-orange heater coil in the vapor path. this color indicates temperatures of 1000-1500F. to prove that safe you have to look for and not find partial combustion by products in the output vapor. what the world needs (tm) is a vape pen with temperature control.

disclaimer: i'm not a chemist or a lung doc

Silver420Surfer

Downward spiral
A friend shared a link on Facebook about the dangers of e-cigarettes, I don't use them, but they contain lots of chemicals and apparently aren't great for you. The website I was looking at was:

That article is pure shite, sorry.

Alt101

There are a number of studies out there that talk about amount of byproducts in vapor from Volcanos (they seem to be the top choice for researchers). Here is a quote from an article that summarized things well.

" it's important to note that vapor composition varies depending on many factors. First, the quality of weed matters—crap in, crap out. Temperature is important, too, because more toxins are released at higher temperatures. Cheap devices can heat inaccurately and may use plastic components in the vapor path. Heating plastic can release volatile toxins, but it's unclear which toxins (if any) are released at vaping temperatures." - http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/is-vaping-really-safer-than-smoking/Content?oid=20884897

My take away is that ecigs are probably better than smoking (though few studies exist) I would be wary of the materials that they are construct from and where. Personally, I stick to glass air pathways with low temperatures and haven't played around with ecigs.

More scientific study on what is in vapor at what templates from a Volcano if you want more reading on the topic - http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/08958370902748559

Edit: some photo of tempature results from that study
http://imgur.com/aSTKflp
http://imgur.com/lvViBQ5

Last edited:

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I use an ecig. I build and wick my own coils with materials as inert as possible and use a regulated box mod for power/temp control. I get my juice from a company that makes it in a lab with as few additives as possible. I minimize the risks but you still have to go in eyes open. Studies into ecigs are pretty minimal.... Probably because they are much healthier then conventional tobacco :tinfoil: and an effective harm reduction tool.

CG420

It's not an effective harm reduction tool IMO. The reason for that thought is because of the need for nicotine. Your brain is the overall processor for your body's lifestyle. The moment you initiate the idea that it's much safer you form conclusions like it's minimal harm and such but do you know what's actually going on with the mixture before it arrives in your lungs? Did you know they need the liquids to age? Did you know nicotine changes the overall taste of flavored e-liquids? I'm not a fan of cigerettes because of the smell/taste but as soon as I heard about e-cigs making an impact, I said oh what the hay let's buy a EGO-stick battery and a cart and let's see how it goes. I was impressed by the flavor and vapor but overwhelmed by headaches. Even if they said we swear it's 0x not 6x or 8x or whatever strength. I tried again and still find this headache comes up from it. When my brain hurts, I'm sure it's telling me to stop. I'm sure if I had kept it up with the nonsense I would've been right in the ball park with all those who say it helps more than it destructs health. I would lose the feeling of knowing it's bad if I were to desensitize myself any further. And then once you're used to it, you're gonna have a hard time quitting altogether. Thank God that I invest much more time and money into cannabis than I did with anything related cigerettes.

Detonator

It's not an effective harm reduction tool IMO. The reason for that thought is because of the need for nicotine. Your brain is the overall processor for your body's lifestyle. The moment you initiate the idea that it's much safer you form conclusions like it's minimal harm and such but do you know what's actually going on with the mixture before it arrives in your lungs? Did you know they need the liquids to age? Did you know nicotine changes the overall taste of flavored e-liquids? I'm not a fan of cigerettes because of the smell/taste but as soon as I heard about e-cigs making an impact, I said oh what the hay let's buy a EGO-stick battery and a cart and let's see how it goes. I was impressed by the flavor and vapor but overwhelmed by headaches. Even if they said we swear it's 0x not 6x or 8x or whatever strength. I tried again and still find this headache comes up from it. When my brain hurts, I'm sure it's telling me to stop. I'm sure if I had kept it up with the nonsense I would've been right in the ball park with all those who say it helps more than it destructs health. I would lose the feeling of knowing it's bad if I were to desensitize myself any further. And then once you're used to it, you're gonna have a hard time quitting altogether. Thank God that I invest much more time and money into cannabis than I did with anything related cigerettes.

So you don't like cigarettes or use them but for some reason you just decided to stop and buy and Ego and get some 6-8 mg e-juice. Right? Then it gave you a headache? so you never used it again? Cool Story! My wife is a marketer and we'd love to see the ad that made you go in and just decide to buy an e-cig and try ingesting nicotine..

Nicotine does give some people a headache the first time..

Your lucky you didn't decide to try a real cigarette and get the mix of 7000 chemicals that the evil genesis at big tobacco have ready for you... Its those chemicals that are the real problem and are way more addicting than the nicotine alone... With real cigarette I never went more than 45-90 min without one... With the e-cig I can forget about my nicotine for 3-4 hours... I cant prove what I'm saying but it's obvious to me..

CG420

Actually I've had cigerettes before but for a short period of time. It was more social. I was in high school. There was no advertisement besides the fact that it was available so rapidly and stores even opening up that I had decided to give it a try. I don't think nicotine just gives you a headache the first time. When I smoked cigerettes it was max two but even one would give me a bad feeling in my head and followed by a stomach sickness (I'd want to throw up and the only way to remedy that was eating.) I said it was at 0mg no nicotine and it still gave me a headache. I find that odd. Also, I'm clean with my cartridge and stuff ingested orally. I made sure to use separate carts for different strengths but the highest I ever recalled buying was 6x nicotine. I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just saying that IME I was not too happy with my experience albeit if I never had access to medical cannabis I would be stuck on the endless fruity and subtle juices that my own old boss made himself. I'm just hoping for the best for most people that if they decide to vape, smoke, at least use cannabis not nicotine/tabacco.

Detonator

yeah using cannabis or using nicotine are 2 completely different things...

this thread is about the huge anti e-cig campaign that has just started...

smoking cigarettes sucked I was completely addicted and it was going to kill me... the carcinogens, the smoke, COPD, cancer, who fucking knows but somehow they were gong to kill me... now I feel much better being off them, using an e-cig... I can breath again...

e-cig are saving lives but I'm sure there are some who don't like that, or that they aren't making money off it.

Or maybe the fact that we are blowing out clouds and holding a pipe like device they just assume your a drug addict and no one should give you any rights or give a shit about you.. hmmm?

Anyone here ever blow out clouds and be called a drug addict by the rest of society? Fuck em'

Neicey76

Please let us remember most of these reports. @ least anything I give credit to blames the PG OR the carrying oil / ingredients.

I vape for strictly my cbd and all my thc'a ☺️

The medicine is getting in safely n perfect ! Just the way I like it.

Let's not go back 2 tha old propaganda . (I'll never forget the movie DuPont made with the govt. n had the crazy piano playa. )

amazing part is the dam idea worked n it took us so many years to try n get our rights back.

Neicey76,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

kimura

this is a somewhat bizarre post which demonstrates a disturbing absence of logic. you are saying it's not an effective harm reduction tool because it gave you a headache? you don't even smoke cigarettes? Are you sure you understand the concept of harm reduction?

I agree that there is certainly no harm reduction for someone who does not smoke, who spontaneously decides to try e-cigs because they heard that it was becoming popular.

2 second google search yields this definition: Harm reduction is a set of practical strategies and ideas aimed at reducing negative consequences associated with drug use

if you aren't even using a drug (nicotine) and have no desire to do so, discussion of harm reduction does not apply. you tried e-cigs for shits and giggles because you heard they were popular :\

Last edited:

hi_there

Not vaping with e-juice is the healthiest
But if you are going to smoke something, e-cigs are 100 times less harmful than tobacco.

The real reason there are campaigns against e-cigarettes is $$$$$$ TOBACCO = Huge Tax Dollars!

hi_there,

Herb-nerd

7th Floor: Engineer & Designer
Company Rep
I have been researching this myself.

It had me thinking about the real nature of the particle size of "vapour" when dabbing, is that a true vapour? or more of a colloid.

I read the studies where e-cigarette emissions are classified as aerosols and that has me thinking about the true classification of the state of the product of "vaporizers".

I can link a few of the studies i have at hand if required.

capcoho

My anecdotal evidence.

I'm almost 40. Since the age of 1 I have been VERY susceptible to allergies, bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia, colds etc. From age 19-36 I smoked cigarettes which made the bronchitis easier to get and harder to get rid of.

Started with the ecig a little over a year ago and literally have not been sick or asthmatic since so I actually believe it has a positive effect on my lungs hmmmm.

Also people keep ranting about nicotine in ecigs. I often have ZERO nicotine in my e-juice.

I also rolled my own and often got organic tobacco from Thailand which was a completely different substance than the tobacco in packaged cigarettes. Real tobacco can be vaped and is not chemically. Taylor made cigarette tobacco is absolutely vile.

I also don't believe nicotine addictive as is often thought. The Thai tobacco was strong and you take a few puffs and put it down enjoying the buzz and not wanting another for a while. Taylor made cigs, imo, absolutely are altered to make the user want one every 1/2 hour-2 hours even though they taste disgusting.

Oh and I hate big tobacco. These ecigs should be studied up and down by our powerful governments as they would stop a large population from a shitty death. I believe the number is 2/3 of smokers will die from smoking related illnesses. I don't believe we will ever see a number like this with ecigs. Big tobacco also wants to take over the ecig market which is bad news.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Everyone decides for themselves how to live their lives. Risk is relative to the individual. I suspect I've fucked my body up over far more grievous substances over my years than ecigs. That's not to say I want to try them, just that I don't find them or users offensive at all.

Just as I wouldn't tell a person to move from dusty areas just because breathing dust is bad.

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
As someone who uses e cigarettes....if you actually look into the studies saying E-cigs are bad you will find that most are very easily debunked.

On the other hand even the American Health Association supports them, newer studies find levels of toxins with in range or normal air, etc....

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Isn't it really about what e-liquid you are using? Not that there couldn't be something wrong with the delivery system, but if you are using bad e-liquid it hardly matters how it's delivered. And I have heard that some of it is really nasty...

You could probably get liquid that is pretty bad before it gets as bad as cigs, tho...

cybrguy,

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Isn't it really about what e-liquid you are using? Not that there couldn't be something wrong with the delivery system, but if you are using bad e-liquid it hardly matters how it's delivered. And I have heard that some of it is really nasty...

You could probably get liquid that is pretty bad before it gets as bad as cigs, tho...

It's PG(Some Have it)/VG/Flavoring/Nicotine/Some have artificial sugar or Stevia and coloring...which is dumb IMO.

I use stuff from here: http://www.velvetcloud.com - All organic, no odd chemicals, there are various places that do it like this, pretty tasty stuff.

Alan Partridge

Smell my cheese

That site's a load of alarmist uninformed bollocks.

The media has a thing for demonising the most important advancement in health in decades. This site is distorting those stories even further. There is nothing to back up anything they say. Propylene glycol is used as a food solvent and is found in many things you eat, but that isn't mentioned, only that it's in anti-freeze. Another good example is the formaldehyde claims on there which were in the news earlier this year. Read about that here: http://www.clivebates.com/?p=2706

Here in the UK we have an anti smoking charity call Action on Smoking and Health (ASH, geddit?). Here's their take:

"ASH recognises that whilst efforts to help people stop smoking should remain a priority, many smokers either do not wish to stop quit or find it very hard to do so because of their addiction to nicotine. For this group, nicotine containing products which have been properly regulated to ensure product safety, quality and efficacy should be available as an alternative to tobacco.

Most of the diseases associated with smoking are caused by inhaling smoke which contains thousands of toxic chemicals. By contrast, nicotine is relatively safe. Electronic cigarettes, which deliver nicotine without the harmful toxins found in tobacco smoke, are a safer alternative to smoking. In addition, electronic cigarettes reduce secondhand smoke exposure in places where smoking is allowed since they do not produce smoke. Nonetheless, nicotine is an addictive substance, electronic cigarettes currently available are highly variable in terms of delivery of nicotine and product quality, and smokers are uncertain about the effectiveness of the product. There are concerns, as yet unsupported by evidence, that these products may provide a gateway into smoking for children and young people. The regulation of these products, in particular with respect to their advertising, promotion and sponsorship needs to be undertaken with these factors in mind.

In the UK smokefree legislation exists to protect the public from the demonstrable harms of secondhand smoke. ASH does not consider it appropriate for electronic cigarettes to be subject to this legislation, but that it should be for organisations to determine on a voluntary basis how these products should be used on their premises. "

The full factsheet is here: http://www.ash.org.uk/files/documents/ASH_715.pdf

Alan Partridge,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Detonator

Fuck the Vuse e-cig made by big tobbacco RJ Renolds

Someone should go check on R.J Renolds and there Vuse e-cig..

RJ Renolds and there evil scientist put something like 7000 chemicals in there reg cigarettes to make them more addictive than just using tobacco..

If they get the chance I'm sure they will or all ready are adding shit to e-juice we don't need or want..

jus sayin..

Top Bottom