Do not speed in Switzerland

Beezleb

Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20100107/EU.ODD.Switzerland.Huge.Speeding.Fine/

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million.

A statement on the court's Web site says the driver a repeat offender drove up to 35 miles an hour (57 kilometers an hour) faster than the 50-mile-an-hour (80-kilometer-an-hour) limit.

Court clerk Heidi Baumann-Becker said Thursday the unidentified driver can appeal the decision, handed down in November, to the Swiss supreme court.

The Blick daily newspaper in Zurich reported the fine was more than twice the previous Swiss record of about $107,000.

Beezleb,

lwien

LOL. A Swiss banker just recently did some whistle-blowing on the whole Swiss banking system for purposely hiding money for their customers from various government agencies(tax evasion). Big bust on UBS recently, so I guess they're gonna have to find new ways to generate revenue besides shady banking practices and manufacturing fine Swiss watches.

lwien,

SmogTown

I thought it was funny. Fines to match your income :lol:. I'm surprised they got that law past the rich people in switzerland.

SmogTown,

FEAR420

Its very well known that you do NOT speed in Switzerland. Funny how you can do just about anything else there but speed in a car on almost deserted roads...

FEAR420,

Purple-Days

Saw it this morning on BBC.

Been there. + . Be cool. :cool:

Funny, how a road accident of almost any degree, is big news there, and an hourly death tool here, is just a news bite. They expect good behavior, we expect ... :2c:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom