• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Do FC Members (Other Than Staff) Really Have Any Input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwien

Yup, once your item falls back to the third page, it's lights out.

lwien,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Is there any way to enable bump without replies? It takes FOREVER to sell anything now...
Yup, once your item falls back to the third page, it's lights out.

Since I move closed threads every day (and I'm not the only one) I think I have a better handle on this than either of you, and I'll just restrain myself here and say that your impressions are incorrect.

pakalolo,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Currently we do not have the ability to allow posts/bumps from only the thread starter.

From what I can tell the key is to price your items to sell as soon as you post them. The old method of pricing high and then lowering incrementally with bumps isn't viable with the current system. If your item costs $250 new there's not much incentive for someone to buy it used for $225.

Price attractively. You'll be giving a community member a good deal and your item is more likely to sell quickly. I've seen multiple reports of items selling in under an hour when priced to sell. :)

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
What a difficult job to keep up on all the conversations and making sure folks stay within the rules that are set. Some of the conversations at times gets pretty heated. Especially if they have a faulty unit and feel they are not getting response from the company. The member may want to start bashing the company, they feel they have a legitimate complaint. It even starts to feel uncomfortable. Sometime mods don't step in. I guess I don't know what's bashing and what's a legitimate complaint being stated.

Sometimes there is a fine line between being disrespectful when addressing your complaints and trying to state what your problem is in a tactful way. Companies that come on FC to help promote their products are most at risk that the customers will come to a particular thread in order to get some attention. They start airing their complaints over and over again hoping that someone from the company responds.

A few days ago i was on a thread there were several FC members complaining about a particular unit rehashing the problem post after post they were on a rant. The company came on the thread to address the issue. Some members were happy that the problems were being addressed and others IMO, were attacking the credibility of the company, even implying they weren't telling the truth.

I felt like I was being attacked by a couple of members because I suggested that they had already made their point, i clicked on report and left the thread because I felt uncomfortable. I checked back later no mod stepped in. I guess I'm still learning what good manners are or are not. Maybe the mods were busy or maybe what was going on was OK, not up to me to decide.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I had a post deleted recently, it didn't seem right to me at the time. There was some discussion in the herbalizer thread about the herbalaire being a low-priced pioneer in that product segment. Some of the posts were about the herbalaire and did not include the herbalizer, and they were deleted for being off-topic.

Shortly after that, I made a short post comparing the price between the two units, saying that I had just sold a like-new complete herbalaire package for the price of an herbalizer replacement bowl.

I don't see how the post was off-topic, since I was directly comparing an aspect of the herbalaire with an aspect of the herbalizer. The reason I was given was that "references to the herbalizer" were being "kept to a minimum" in that thread! I'm only bringing it up because it seems to be an example of what this thread professes to be about; it is not meant to be a criticism of that specific moderator decision.

Last edited:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
All of the issues mentioned in the last two points have been resolved behind the scenes, but I did not want to leave the impression that they were ignored.

What a difficult job to keep up on all the conversations and making sure folks stay within the rules that are set. Some of the conversations at times gets pretty heated. Especially if they have a faulty unit and feel they are not getting response from the company. The member may want to start bashing the company, they feel they have a legitimate complaint. It even starts to feel uncomfortable. Sometime mods don't step in. I guess I don't know what's bashing and what's a legitimate complaint being stated.

Sometimes repeated legitimate complaints result in bashing. Sometimes one heated complaint breaks the rules. On the other hand, sometimes a respectful complaint is repeated with additional information. Most significantly, sometimes mods aren't aware until long after storm has blown over. The distinction between what is and isn't a rules violation is sometimes blurry even for moderators.

If you feel uncomfortable, report the post (as you did). We'd rather get reports of non-violations than not get reports of violations.

Sometimes there is a fine line between being disrespectful when addressing your complaints and trying to state what your problem is in a tactful way. Companies that come on FC to help promote their products are most at risk that the customers will come to a particular thread in order to get some attention. They start airing their complaints over and over again hoping that someone from the company responds.

Generally, we view this as a form of extortion and when we see it we put a stop to it. The complainer is trying to use FC as leverage to get something. The worst aspect of this is that by definition, it can be used only against manufacturers and vendors who have chosen to participate here freely, and under special limiting rules. It is also troublesome because stopping this practice has been known to lead to complaints that the moderators are protecting or favouring certain companies; however, I think this is a small price to pay for the benefits we get from participating manufacturers and vendors.

A few days ago i was on a thread there were several FC members complaining about a particular unit rehashing the problem post after post they were on a rant. The company came on the thread to address the issue. Some members were happy that the problems were being addressed and others IMO, were attacking the credibility of the company, even implying they weren't telling the truth.

I felt like I was being attacked by a couple of members because I suggested that they had already made their point, i clicked on report and left the thread because I felt uncomfortable. I checked back later no mod stepped in. I guess I'm still learning what good manners are or are not. Maybe the mods were busy or maybe what was going on was OK, not up to me to decide.

You're right, it isn't up to you to decide. As I said, you did the right thing by reporting it. In this specific case, there were borderline posts but none of the moderators saw the exchange as outside the rules. I guess our failure was that we didn't let you know that. Most issues get resolved without a need to notify the member who originally reported it—but not all, of course. We're trying to get better at providing feedback, but if you or anyone ever feels that an issue might have been overlooked, you can send a PM.

I had a post deleted recently, it didn't seem right to me at the time. There was some discussion in the herbalizer thread about the herbalaire being a low-priced pioneer in that product segment. Some of the posts were about the herbalaire and did not include the herbalizer, and they were deleted for being off-topic.

Shortly after that, I made a short post comparing the price between the two units, saying that I had just sold a like-new complete herbalaire package for the price of an herbalizer replacement bowl.

I don't see how the post was off-topic, since I was directly comparing an aspect of the herbalaire with an aspect of the herbalizer. The reason I was given was that "references to the herbalizer" were being "kept to a minimum" in that thread! I'm only bringing it up because it seems to be an example of what this thread professes to be about; it is not meant to be a criticism of that specific moderator decision.

Yes, you got that response but I think you misinterpreted the moderator's intent. In context, the idea was to get the Herbalizer thread back on track and away from the Herbalaire distraction. Although your post seemed fine to you, the timing made it difficult to allow it to remain. The reason is simple: it would have given someone else a hook on which to hang another Herbalaire comment.

I hope this makes it a little easier to understand how the moderator's role is never easy.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
A post and 4 responses to it have been removed from this thread. It will be locked temporarily to prevent further responses.

As per the sticky in the section:
If you have a question about the rules that's fine, but public discussions of staff decisions are still not allowed. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision please take it up in private with a staff member.

As per the forum rules:
Do not post the contents of private conversations without permission from all parties involved.

vtac,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom