diy vaporizer heating element

dtrdrk

hey,
im pretty new to vaping and im also into electronics. so im thinking of building my own :)
i really dig the simple concept of the milaana and i guess i will try to build a similar device. looking into it, there basically seems to be next to nothing involved. a battery, a switch and a heating element. i think i would simply buy the glass piece from the milaana to achieve true convection.

now where im lost is the actual heating element. i dont feel like winding my own coils - id prefer something readily available. could someone point me towards a source? i want this to be instant "on demand".
also im thinking why not use induction heating? should be fast and efficient i guess. could i for instance take the heating element that people use for the vapcap heaters, insert a ferrit and use that as my heater? has anyone tried this?

sorry im a noob to vaporizers so please ignore me if im writing trash :)

asdf420

i was thinking of something like this. I imagine an induction heater that heats a cylinder that has a bunch of disks with alternating holes, or a bunch of steel BBs could work as a heating element. and then somehow varying the voltage to the heater based on what you get from sensors idk. But I've never seen something like that, and really dont know much of anything

asdf420,
Reactions: rz

dtrdrk

thanks for your reply mate. i might just have to buy one of these inductor boards and have it blow up in my face :) honestly, i see no reason for it not to work at this point....

dtrdrk,

ZC

There's not a lot of off the shelf solutions for vape heaters.

Log Vapes are done with a particular ohmite 20 OHM resistor or in some cases Stainless Steel enclosed heater cartridges. These work well but are not "instant on demand"

The Milaana and iHeat both use stainless steel meshes. I would suggest going a similar route as the high surface area of a mesh is extremely effective. Milaana wraps the mesh around a sheet of mica, the iHead wraps the mesh into a coil.

Start with a heater design, measure the resistance to determine what kind of voltage you need. Maybe start with 30 watts and see what adjustment you want from there.

Last edited:

Kharnics

Google vandyvape Steel mesh. They brought out a mass produced steel mesh RDA. You may be able to use the RDA and the Steel mesh they sell. You could also find steel mesh for vaping, just search for that. You can also find ceramic donut coils searching around if you went that route too. Good luck.

Kharnics,

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
Cool , I started a similar DYI thread a few days ago .. haven't found how to build coil either but found a paragraph from Alan ' iHeat thread where he mentions wrapping the mesh around 316SS wire or something as such .. will try to find and post exact quote .. either way , glad to see i ain't the only one wanting to DIY this heater :)

P.A.M.,

Kharnics

The steel mesh method of wicking has been around for a very long time in the nicotine vaping world, tons of pics of examples of how their atomizers are setup via google image search. A good visual starting point at least.

Kharnics,
Reactions: P.A.M.

Kharnics

@Andreaerdna That's awesome! I was wondering if you were able to shape the mesh into shapes and still get an ohm reading that was usable. Very cool. I wonder if a Ceramic donut could be used underneath as a "catch tray"?

Kharnics,

That_one_guy39

@Andreaerdna That's awesome! I was wondering if you were able to shape the mesh into shapes and still get an ohm reading that was usable. Very cool. I wonder if a Ceramic donut could be used underneath as a "catch tray"?

The MFLB uses a stainless steel mesh IIRC and I'm running it with a DIY 510 adapter, and it reads 0.11 for me. So there's definitely usable resistance in these meshes.

That_one_guy39,
Reactions: asdf420
Top Bottom