DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Alright... so here's what I finished with, I have no idea if it's safe to use yet... sure that PTFE is okay in there? Let me know if there's anything else I need to do...
DSCN5754.jpg

DSCN5755.jpg

DSCN5756.jpg

aznfknpride,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
it looks like you did it right

ptfe is used in cooking pans, they get to much higher temps and are still considered safe for food preparation

Acolyte of Zinglon,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
The heater cover still wiggles a little.. and if I smell the nozzle on the heater cover, it smells like when I was cutting that collar that I covered with PTFE. AoZ, will that go away?

aznfknpride,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
the heater cover wiggle can be reduced by moving the band up so that it lies a little more on the glass. if you press too hard a little movement will happen regardless, but you dont need to jam it into the bowl to create a seal, just holld it steadily

im not sure what you mean when you talk about the smell though, i never smelled anything even when i fired up the hakko on 80 with the broken heater cover to test it

Acolyte of Zinglon,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Oh, it smelled like the smell it made when I dremel'd the metal sleeve. I dunno. What temp do are you guys running at? I get barely visible vapor @ 50-60. Would it be because of my bowl? or a bad seal on the soldering iron someplace? I haven't tried my 7th floor whip yet.. I want to milk my GonG bubbler and blow some clouds, lol.

aznfknpride,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i wouldnt turn it past 55, with the heater properly centered you should be getting vapor at 35-55. for me above 50 the flavor really suffers

i highly reccommend getting some silicone tubing for the whip, th stock tubing had a nasty taste to it but silicone is practically tasteless

Acolyte of Zinglon,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Hrmm. I cant seem to get good vapor at those temps :/ closer to 60-65 I can see some vapor.. but i can take way fatter rips with my VG.. I dont understand :( am I just inhaling too hard/fast?

aznfknpride,

vaelrenx

Hey guys I have been reading this thread for a little bit and am going to go ahead and make one of these. All the parts have been ordered so its just a matter of time til they get here.

vaelrenx,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
I'm still worried about the PTFE.. I read somewhere that people's birds have died from cooking with teflon cookware, try google it.

Any other ways to keep the element centered? I still can't get good vapor under 55-60.. I worry because mine is running hotter than AoZ's and ILRH's.. So the vinyl tubing and PTFE is more succeptable to give off fumes and what not. I want my PD :(

aznfknpride,

vaelrenx

azn - are you getting a good seal between your bowl and heater cover?

I read that about the teflon cookware as well but the consensus seems to be that harmful chemicals are not released until a temperature of 500F (260C) which is a significant amount higher than the vaporization point of marijuana (177-200C). Do any of you have a means of measuring the temperature your getting on these things? would be interesting to know.

I was also wondering what kind of color changing you guys are getting on your buds - are they pretty consistant, golden browny?

vaelrenx,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
People say a lot of things without having any scientific evidence to back it up. We try not to propagate rumors here. That said, teflon tape is a bit different than a teflon coated frying pan and probably not designed with this application in mind. Not sure about the composition...

A heat resistant piece of silicon tubing would probably be better than vinyl, if a little harder to obtain. Here are some links http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=24607#p24607

Keep us updated, AoZ! Look forward to building one of these soon.

vtac,

vaelrenx

I understand - my source was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene and I have read it many other places as well

"The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200 C (392 F), and it evolves several fluorocarbon gases and a sublimate. Animal studies indicate that it is highly unlikely that these products would be generated in amounts significant to health at temperatures below 250 C (482 F).[10] While PTFE is stable and non-toxic, it begins to deteriorate after the temperature of cookware reaches about 260 C (500 F), and decompose above 350 C (660 F).[11] These degradation products can be lethal to birds, and can cause flu-like symptoms in humans.[11]"

vaelrenx,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
the vinyl doesnt even get close to hot enough to give off any fumes, the heat doesnt migrate downward much. silicone would be less desirable because its more flexible

how long are you le?tting it warm up before hitting it?
also try hitting it slower

if youre uneasy about the teflon find some other suitible material, this is just what i have laying around, im pretty confident that it wont have adverse repercussions on my health. but its ultimately your choice what you do with the info

Acolyte of Zinglon,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
vaelrenx- Yeah, I'm getting a good seal. At least I think so anyway... I used some stock bowl that my GonG bubbler came with and the 7th floor whip.. still quite unsure why I cant get vapor at 30-35. Thanks for the info on the PTFE as well, much appreciated.

vtac- Thanks for the links, I'll look into ordering some of that silicone tubing.

AoZ- How hot does your vinyl tubing get? I dunno, mine is definitely hot enough to melt and have the imprint of the hose clamp (little vertical lines) and the threads from the flange after the vinyl cools off.. Call me a worry-wart but I have enough problems with my lungs as it is, lol. I really cant figure out why I cant get vapor at the temps you guys are running at, it's pretty fucking irritating to be honest.

aznfknpride,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
my usual range was 45-50, 30-35 are lower temp vapor imo

a good tip is to let the heater cover warm up for about 10 mins, you can also put it on a higher temp for the preheat, like around 60 then turn it down to 45

it takes a lot of fiddling, i havent quite mastered temps and warmup times myself

Acolyte of Zinglon,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Could the hole in my heater cover (the intake hole) be too large? Not enough drag? I got visible vapor at just under 50.. but it wasnt much and I was drawing SUPER slow.. this shit is killing me guys.

aznfknpride,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
too much water, the bowl isn't fully airtight (I suggest the EHLE bowl), or your draw technique isn't acquired yet.

just my :2c: as to why it might not be 'working' for you....but in those pics it looked to be working excellently.

what kind of bubbler is that? its fucking sick :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
jklasd- Yeah, I adjusted my technique last night, finally got a good milk. Pulled very slow. I'm just worried about it running hotter than everybody elses... they say they're getting thicker milk than mine (in a much bigger tube than my bubbler) at ~35-40... just kinda bugs me, lol.

Hennessy1414- The bowl is pretty air tight... could definitely use a new one though. a bowl with a screen would be excellent, I have to take a trip down to the headshop and remember to bring the heater cover. The bubbler is "dynamite" brand, I haven't heard much about it.. here's a picture from the front so you can see the logo..

aznfknpride,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
whats the joint size on that? personally I was somewhat like you and it bugged me that it didnt cream too fat...possibly you need the new bowl, but getting a SSV whip is quite nice. If you don't have it already then I would HIGHLY suggest picking one up. That's how you will get those large dome rips you crave so much :ko: :2c:

Hennessy1414,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
Hen- Joint size is 14mm. cant wait for the PD to get here :brow: However, I do have the 7th floor whip, and I dont get any rips that'll make me cough (like a VG hit or a combusted hit).. it's really giving me a headache, worrying about it too much and not enjoying my high.. :/

aznfknpride,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
All I can say is get in the chat room one day when IloveRadiohead & AoZ are both in there....you will be able to explain it all :2c:

Hennessy1414,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
:uhoh:
Been doing it wrong the whole time.. Packed a fat bowl in the whip before I went to work today, guess I was being too conservative.. Took a few fat rips @ 45, I'm good now LOL

aznfknpride,
Top Bottom