DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

NoSmoke

rbrown13 said:
rbrown13 said:
FEAR420 said:
Yup...Its called the VHW ;)
so are you saying this is the electronics and element from the VHW or are you saying I should just man up and buy the the stinkin VHW already :)
Man the more I look at this thing I'm thinkin this is the handle/electronics of the VHW if you look where the screw that holds the body of the iron together it looks like the same point that the heater cover on the VHW is attached.
It is a soldering iron, the beauty and true ingenuity of the wand is in the heater cover, and setup which is all handblown to precise standards. When you ask if you should buy this thing, it all depends if you want a "truer" taste in your vapor, and not to mention massive hits. If your a person looking to get the most flavor out of each strain and are into glass and a very "pure" vapor experience I would highly reccomend the Vrip, if your not I would suggest something diferent. The Vrip is heavy in my rotation, I love the damn thing. :2c:

NoSmoke,

rbrown13

from the land of milk and honey (Oil that is...)
NoSmoke said:
rbrown13 said:
rbrown13 said:
so are you saying this is the electronics and element from the VHW or are you saying I should just man up and buy the the stinkin VHW already :)
Man the more I look at this thing I'm thinkin this is the handle/electronics of the VHW if you look where the screw that holds the body of the iron together it looks like the same point that the heater cover on the VHW is attached.
It is a soldering iron, the beauty and true ingenuity of the wand is in the heater cover, and setup which is all handblown to precise standards. When you ask if you should buy this thing, it all depends if you want a "truer" taste in your vapor, and not to mention massive hits. If your a person looking to get the most flavor out of each strain and are into glass and a very "pure" vapor experience I would highly reccomend the Vrip, if your not I would suggest something diferent. The Vrip is heavy in my rotation, I love the damn thing. :2c:
Thanks for the reply I think you hit the nail on the head it seems that I'm running my vapes through a bong with water/ice most of the time so something like this just makes sense.

rbrown13,

FEAR420

rbrown13 said:
FEAR420 said:
I cant say for sure its the EXACT internals,but its looking damn familiar to me...
oh and Justin I forgot to ask but are you using the VHW more than anything else right now.
Nope....EQ sees the most action due to its versatility. The VHW scares me and Ill be the first to admit it. After owning it for 3 days,following the directions to the T,and the glass popping in my hand....yeah,Im leery about using it as much as Id like to. :/ Right now,its used maybe once a week,if that...

FEAR420,

paintkilz

im almost certain the variable temp soldering iron from above is the same as teh VHW just with a "vripmaster" sticker down it..

has anyone tried purchasing the replacement shaft for the VHW to make their own?

edit:nevermind, didnt realize they wanted $90 fo teh cover, although it says it "screws on" im gonna have to go with the SSV cover..

vape4health-

still waiting on wether or not the element is ceramic in the variable temp gun?

edit:sorry! reading that page above for the gun, it says ceramic...thats sweet. im ordering one today and the SSV cover..

paintkilz,

Durden

I am Jack's title
I just compared these pictures to my VHW and they are NOT the same. Among several other things I can point out the circuits look different and the light and dial placement are wrong.

Durden,

NoSmoke

Durden said:
I just compared these pictures to my VHW and they are NOT the same. Among several other things I can point out the circuits look different and the light and dial placement are wrong.
And even if they were the same people need to realize it's not the handle that makes the VHW its the work thats put into the glass, and the design, doesn't matter what handle it is...

NoSmoke,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Lol I love the guy with two posts says it's exactly the same. The end on it is completly different. A vrip cover may fit with modifcations but that would be alot of money invested if it didn't work.

minnesnowta,

paintkilz

NoSmoke said:
Durden said:
And even if they were the same people need to realize it's not the handle that makes the VHW its the work thats put into the glass, and the design, doesn't matter what handle it is...
the light and dial placement might be different, but i see a few similar things. it does look like the heater cover will work, but im not going to spend $90 on basically a glass slide with "vortex" generating rings..im simpy stating as this variable temp iron is the best alternative and looked to be the basis of the VHW, we know the handle doesnt matter, as its been proven you can use a variety of irons.

all im saying is someone could probably purchase the cover from Vrip for $90 and make the VHW for 1/2 their price. or get the SSV cover and make it for 1/4th the price.

minnesnowta said:
Lol I love the guy with two posts says it's exactly the same. The end on it is completly different. A vrip cover may fit with modifcations but that would be alot of money invested if it didn't work.
i like how you think because i only have 2 posts, i dont know what im talking about.

the ends are NOT completely different. they are ALMOST the same.like i said earlier..they still share the traits to make it work.

52o1ft.jpg

look at the grey ring that the heat covers lip slides over. also you can see the screw going through the heat cover into the grey plastic effectively securing and sealing the cover to the VHW.

205pmph.jpg

now looking at this, yes the light is in a different place. it looks like the dial is in the same place, but its NOT important..look at the irons Blue collar just below the threaded metal collar similar to the hakko youd remove..looks to be the same thing to me, just a different color. and it even has the same screw in the same location. so i dont see why you couldnt use the expensive VRip cover for a true DIY version of the VHW.

of course its still different, but rather than focus on how its NOT a VHW, focus on how it really is.

just my :2c:

paintkilz,

paintkilz

Durden said:
Just looked at this thing again, and if I can find any info on the heating element of that soldering iron with the variable temp I might get it to replace my hakko since it has the same max temp. Interesting...
its a ceramic element with a heat range of 340-900 i believe is the max temp.

paintkilz,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
See the blue box after the knob on the vhw. Notice how it's not on the soldering iron. That's the vt1 witch is used for adjusting it the heat more. There is also a designed heater length to be used with the heater cover and if it's not the right size it's not going to work right. If you want to drop 130 on that go for it man! You'll have a wand 50 dollars cheaper. I have a gut feeling your gonna end up with a hot iron and a peice of glass you won't be able to use. You'd also need to buy a bowl as well. Go for it man. Prove me wrong.

minnesnowta,

paintkilz

if i do build one, itll be with a glass shaft i make, or a SSV cover thats been done a million times. wouldnt save too much using their cover...would rather just buy then, as i DO like Vrip products.

i already do have the bowl. it just showed up actually. VRip messed up, it was supposed to be the standard funnel for use with teh Steinel, but they sent me the shorty. which i DONT think will work.

but im done man. i just was set in my ways..pretty stupid considering im not even making a VHW copy.

do you prefer the VHW to DIY setup?

paintkilz,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
The Vhw with a blazemaster has been my favorate set up I've tried. I haven't ever had access to a quality ceramic soldering iron to try this so I can't say if it would be better or worse. In therory with a true all glass vapor path the taste should be a bit better with the wand but I don't know how much better.

minnesnowta,

Durden

I am Jack's title
Considering the warranty on the VHW I think that it's a much better alternative to a DIY.

Durden,

paintkilz

see i love this website...im learning new things everday.

like the curved gong attachments...i thought they were for building some crazy gong stem setup..

now, i know its for doing oil hits...which im amazed by and cant wait to try. my buddy and i have been discussing the best way for him clean his wand.

is there a specific BM bowl for using the VHW or DIY Hakko/SSV setup?

paintkilz,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
the blazemaster bowls are custom made by him to our specs to work with the VHW. Hes made multiple designs and now weve finaly got the perfect design for it :cool:
these are pictures from blazemaster of my slide and diffy set so you can see what im talkin about. They should be in my hand tommorow or monday.

b589d2ff.jpg

the 3 pushes are there to hold the screen in after you fold it and put it in. The screen then springs back and tension holds it in place but as you can see the joint is the only restriction in the bowl. which isnt much of a restriction at all.

14eb7782.jpg

picture of the set together and a side shot to see how deep the slide is

minnesnowta,

alexander

I ordered the variable temp iron from jacks and im pretty sure my vhw glass cover should fit it. I have been emailing vriptech trying to have my vhw handle replaced or repaired and i am getting no response so this seems like a good fix to me and its only costing me $25 w/ shipping (jacks on ebay). I am aslo thinking about having my glass blower friend make me a custom bowl and cover for my hakko project!

alexander,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
<<<but im not going to spend $90 on basically a glass slide with "vortex" generating rings>>>

Just to clarify, the VHW heater cover's inner glass layer has NOTHING to do with 'vortex' or swirling the air (aka hurricane bong) or anything like that. The VHW is an ALL GLASS AIRPATH - the air never touches the heater core!!! The air travels between the two layers of glass and never contacts the heating element OR the circuitry.

I really really like these custom modded hakko's A LOT - good job guys! However I would happily take the tasters challenge, because the the VHW's airpath is all glass and it makes a BIG difference in taste (not functionality). IMO. Love this thread.

MikRoOrganix,

FEAR420

Just made mine from a Hakko 456,SSV Standard HC & some time....

I took a step drill and drilled out the top. Slid some tubing in it,put the flange back on,then slid the SSV HC on. So far its working....WAY TOO HOT,but the device works none the less. Got an Inland Mini-Phaser on the way also so I can adjust my temps & try out some other irons I have here. Also gonna make another setup using the SSV GONG Heater Cover ;) Had a blower make me up a bowl,now Im just waiting for that to get here with the Phaser. Ill post pix of the FINISHED Product when Im done. :D

FEAR420,

MacRadish

DIY, but not Hakko. SSV heater, heater cover and hold down plate assembled on a Jensen soldering iron handle. The Jensen, I believe, is a rebranded Weller.

I should add that the SSV heater hold down plate has three holes for three screws as used in the SSV. This Jensen handle has two screw holes which it uses to hold down its heater. The SSV heater hold down plate is so thin I easily popped a hole through it. Now one existing hole and the new hole line up with the Jensen threads on the handle. 2nd pic. Once the heater is secured you screw that Jensen logo'd black cap on to secure it all and then put on the heater cover.

34ru5hi.jpg

25jjkpg.jpg

MacRadish,
Reactions: Tweak

2clicker

Observer
i wanted to bump this thread to see what this place would think about getting ceramic elements and building your own vapes of all shapes and sizes.

check these links

ceramic
http://www.watlow.com/products/heaters/heater1.cfm?pageid=52#

or these "sleeveless" ceramic heaters at the bottom of this page
http://www.trentheat.com/CartridgeHeaters.htm

stainless steel (why not?)
http://www.tutco.com/conduction_heaters/cartridge_heaters/index.php

id like to build a small wand style for my vehicle and considering going the soldering iron route, but thought i might be able to find the heaters elsewhere.

any ideas?

2clicker,

slickrick

alexander said:
I ordered the variable temp iron from jacks and im pretty sure my vhw glass cover should fit it. I have been emailing vriptech trying to have my vhw handle replaced or repaired and i am getting no response so this seems like a good fix to me and its only costing me $25 w/ shipping (jacks on ebay). I am aslo thinking about having my glass blower friend make me a custom bowl and cover for my hakko project!

Alexander, did the vhw cover fit on this iron model? Anyone know of other iron models that have been proven to work with the vhw cover?

slickrick,
Top Bottom