DIY Hakko + SSV Heater Cover

MacRadish

MacRadish said:
ghib said:
bump. I'm trying to find the inner diameter of the ssv heater cover to make sure it will fit on my soldering iron.
I will measure mine this evening and report back.
The heater cover ID is about 11 mm. The opening is slightly flared to 13 mm, presumably to make it easier to snug on to the heater cover holder thing.

MacRadish,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
FEAR420 said:
Do you guys think something like this would work??? Its just a thought... http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=420

Aoyue is basically a Hakko Chinese knock-off company or the company that builds Hakko's products,I forget which....I have their 937+ digital Soldering station(FULLY ROHS Compliant) and was considering it for this,and didnt recall its exact temp range.Which is how I wound up on their home page.Then I saw this & was thinking it just MIGHT work.

Its $90 on Amazon,has a fully adjustable analog/dial fan & temp settings & a stand for the heater wand...Whats your take/input on something like this??
yeah.. "Copyright 2008 TONGYI ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT FACTORY, CHINA", enjoy your lead and other toxins in your air stream, I'm sure you'll catch a wicked buzz

DeepFried,

ghib

thanks for the dimensions!

yeah as brandonflav said, the heating element is metal, you're looking for a ceramic heating element

ghib,

jklasd

so the cork works well then? i need to do this already. how exactly did it fit on the heater cover, due to the lip at the bottom? did you use the teflon tape as well?
edit: also, how wide is your cork? i got a couple corks, both measure in at 7/8".

jklasd,

MacRadish

MacRadish said:
I just ordered Vapro's "New Improved Vapro Handpipe" to give it and the SSV wand a whirl.
Barely workable, bowl not deep enough, medication too close to hot air. Strangely enough, their bowl is opened to the bottom. IOW, you need to cover the hole at the bottom while drawing.

MacRadish,

vape4health

I was looking for something to spend some cash and I just paid for one of these , it may be cheap china junk but I can swap the element out for a Hakko one and the rest of the air path is outside of the wand .

http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIABLE-TEMP-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca0b2ef54

I just ordered a SSV cover from 7th floor , after I get it all together I'll let you guys know how my $55 heat wand works . As a soldering iron it does 392-842 F so it should be able to get up to temp .

vape4health,

vape4health

I just ordered , um Sat I think . I'll post if its an active heating element or just a simple set watt heater . I'm really hoping its a active heat controll so that the wand will apply more power when you take a huge rip . For that cheap , its probly a simple controll like used in the DBV or SSV but who knows .

No I dont have a element , I found them on ebay cheap , I think it was like 10 bucks for 2 or them . Edit : after looking again it must not have been ebay I found the hakko elements , but I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the element .

I got tracking numbers for the iron and the SSV cover today . Should be testing later in the week .

vape4health,

vape4health

I got my parts !!
7th floor was fast on sending me a SSV cover and the iron was shipped just as fast :D

From 2 minutes playing around with the iron , I'm kinda sure the heat is a active one , the light will go off when its over temp and flicker fast to realy fast to stay at temp or it comes on solid if I blow on the heater . I think/hope its going to work good .

Edit : I have gotten a few hits but I'll have to check thru my bowls to see what fits better , this one doesn't get a good seal to the SSV cover , but it was making vapor . :)

And yes , this seams to be an active heat controll , I'm not sure how accurate it is but its trying . I can make the light come on just from blowing into the coffee cup thats holding the wand .

vape4health,

paintkilz

brandonflav-

is that a hakko you used? or just the elemet?

vape4health-

how were your results from using that variable solder pencil?
did you replace the heating element?
if so, where did you get the ceramic element?

paintkilz,

rbrown13

from the land of milk and honey (Oil that is...)
rbrown13,

FEAR420

I cant say for sure its the EXACT internals,but its looking damn familiar to me...

FEAR420,

rbrown13

well me and a friend of mine who's a machinist have an idea using something like this along with a vaporwarez vapor cannon standard heater cover, my friend is going to machine a collar with the same threads as the VC so the heater cover could be easily unscrewed and the unit used as a hotstick.

rbrown13,

rbrown13

FEAR420 said:
I cant say for sure its the EXACT internals,but its looking damn familiar to me...
oh and Justin I forgot to ask but are you using the VHW more than anything else right now.

rbrown13,

rbrown13

rbrown13 said:
FEAR420 said:
rbrown13 said:
has anyone ever seen or had any experience with these http://www.jackstoolshed.com/index/...urce=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=gbase the only reason it intrigues me is the temp control/rheostat built into the handle.
Yup...Its called the VHW ;)
so are you saying this is the electronics and element from the VHW or are you saying I should just man up and buy the the stinkin VHW already :)
Man the more I look at this thing I'm thinkin this is the handle/electronics of the VHW if you look where the screw that holds the body of the iron together it looks like the same point that the heater cover on the VHW is attached.

rbrown13,
Top Bottom