DIY butane vaporizer?

Simple10

Member, you member riiiight?
Since I began vaping dry herb at the beginning of this year I noticed from the naked eye the functionality of a butane vape is not much different than that of a regular smoking pipe, the difference being the torch use technique and having an enclosed pathway between the flame and the bowl to avoid combustion.

So I was thinking would it be possible to create a DIY vape by simply lodging a screen in the middle of a double-sided glass adapter and then connecting one end to a WP or J-hook and the other end to another glass stem/tube for the flame intake.
Since I'm not an expert in physics/thermodynamics, Is this the only factor needed in creating a functional butane vape or is there something else I'm missing?
Has any expert here tried making a DIY vape at home?

Last edited:
Simple10,

Elfgrin

It really is that simple if you're just looking to get a basic vapor going, but I feel more comfortable with the isolated airpath designs that don't risk inhaling any impurities from your torch. To each their own though, plenty of people seem happy and healthy either method. Give it a go and let us know your results :) Worst case scenario you accidentally combust

Elfgrin,
Reactions: Simple10

Simple10

Member, you member riiiight?
It really is that simple if you're just looking to get a basic vapor going, but I feel more comfortable with the isolated airpath designs that don't risk inhaling any impurities from your torch. To each their own though, plenty of people seem happy and healthy either method. Give it a go and let us know your results :) Worst case scenario you accidentally combust

Again I'm not an expert but I don't understand how the airpath of my Hydrobrick consisting of glass, metal and wood, will prevent butane impurities from being inhaled as opposed to using only a glass tube? Isn't that more to do with the quality of the butane in the torch? Doesn't water also filter out some impurities?

And I'm not looking to replace my professionally made vapes, this is just as a backup plan would this work?

Last edited:
Simple10,
Reactions: Gray Area

Elfgrin

The Hydrobrick doesn't offer any advantage in that regard, but there are options out there like the Lotus that go a little further. Again though you can still get a good result with the method you've described. There's no secret magic inside those bricks that I'm aware of.
Lotus-Cutaway.jpg

ZC

There's a thread I can't find at the moment called "tube vaping" or something similar. Putting a screen deep into a 4" or so glass joint is all you need to have the same effect as say, a Sticky Brick or any of the other direct butane vapes. I think @paytonpenn started that thread but like I said I can't find it.

Convection butane is dead simple unless you're making the Lotus.

I've also made this http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/diy-peace-style-vape.20256/

Which works pretty well as a conduction butane vape.

I wouldn't put any stock about glass, metal, or wood "filtering" out impurities. That air is still going straight through the airpath into your lungs. Maybe water would help, but it's a difficult thing to test so all you really have to go with is your gut. Get good butane and there shouldn't be anything to worry about in the exhaust, but if it is a major concern to you, then the Lotus design is the answer. No butane in the airpath.

Butane safety concerns have been discussed to death though.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Aimless Ryan,
Top Bottom