Divine Tribe atty's

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I wonder if you could use the Tubo firmware with this and use the cruise feature or whatever it’s called. I don’t have one but I always thought that would be a nice feature for those 510 enails.

Let me know where that takes you, like the Cruise on our XVape Vista's.

tennisguru1,

fernand

I dunno. Maybe that AC/DC I just vaped is making me simple, but I think the Quartz Quest is totally divine. With a Pico in TC mode, it's just perfect. I can't congratulate Matt @divinetribe enough. I can see the V4 being more of a shotgun, and cheaper with a metal top, but I love the QQ.

Of course, like aluminum canned beer, the vape pens are the mass market of the future. But what a mass if even the most degenerate dopers can take a moment for ritual with their spoon, belt and so on ;-) while the distillate cart crowd can't even be bothered to hold a button down for 10 seconds, let alone enter 3 numbers into a TC mod!

There's a war on nicotine vaping that the tobacco companies have been winning with one ONE simple lie. And everybody with half a brain, and little more, will rattle it off for you while puffing on a cigarette: "It's still nicotine, ain't it? So it'll still give you cancer". They don't even want to consider that it's not nicotine that's the problem. And the goody two shoes are out to prohibit all forms of sinful nicotine. Add to that the famous "we don't really know yet" and you have millions of lives that could be saved going right on smoking. Thank you, big tobacco. The Public Health services in England are trying to set it straight, but it's an uphill battle. My point is that it's all about packaging ideas in little slogans.

With carts, they sure have come a long ways. But the ONE big misconception that big money is pushing is that it's all about THC (that and maybe some terpenes for deelish flavor).

But it's not true that just adding some terpenes to nearly pure THC recreates the full effects of any given strain.

Both the healing effects, and the innocuous nature, of Cannabis are tied to the sheer number of related compounds that it gives off. One cannabinoid pushes here, another pulls there, and in the end it balances out to where there's not even much of a rebound/withdrawal no matter how long and hard you binge. Kids sucking huge amounts of purified Delta-9 THC with chem lab terpenes is not the same. Medically, who knows, but historically it's just uncharted territory.

There's no reason the carts can't be better and offer true strain-specific vapes, with all the complexity. We need to push the concept that "It ain't just the THC" and get people to demand real strain-specific concentrate in those pens.

Am I delusional?

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
There's no reason the carts can't be better and offer true strain-specific vapes, with all the complexity. We need to push the concept that "It ain't just the THC" and get people to demand real strain-specific concentrate in those pens.

They've been doing strain specific carts for a while now here in California, Stiizy does distillate flavored with cannabis derived terpenes, Beezle does distillate flavored with a high terpene live resin sauce pour-off, NATIV makes distillate flavored with rosin sauce, and Blue River is making full solventless rosin sauce pods.

I think your canned beer analogy is a good one, but in the same regard if I go to a liquor store, they are going to offer a whole selection from low to top tier prices, and carts are going the same way. At the end of the day the cartridge is just a delivery mechanism, it's all about what's inside. You can get nasty beer or good beer and they all come in the same bottle.

florduh

They've been doing strain specific carts for a while now here in California, Stiizy does distillate flavored with cannabis derived terpenes, Beezle does distillate flavored with a high terpene live resin sauce pour-off, NATIV makes distillate flavored with rosin sauce, and Blue River is making full solventless rosin sauce pods.

I think your canned beer analogy is a good one, but in the same regard if I go to a liquor store, they are going to offer a whole selection from low to top tier prices, and carts are going the same way. At the end of the day the cartridge is just a delivery mechanism, it's all about what's inside. You can get nasty beer or good beer and they all come in the same bottle.

Yep. There are also a number of brands that use Co2 oil over distillate+terps. These Co2 oils contain minor cannabinoids and natural terps.

Beezle needs to get their ass to LA though. Distillate + terp sauce run off is the future of carts.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Yep. There are also a number of brands that use Co2 oil over distillate+terps. These Co2 oils contain minor cannabinoids and natural terps.

Beezle needs to get their ass to LA though. Distillate + terp sauce run off is the future of carts.

Funny I left that one out, that's what I've been hitting lately, Co2 oil from Brite Labs. Honestly hits like a nail hit in a ccell cart. I'm really surprised at how stoned its been getting me as I typically have 2 enails going at once lol. It seems stronger than distillate + reintroduced food terps to me.

I agree that's the future of carts, I don't think many people will even bother dabbing a live resin and lose half of the dab to reclaim and the dab tool when it could be loaded in a cartridge pen for on demand enjoyment. As long as that single source terpene pour off is being added, the only major difference between live resin in a glass jar and a sauce pen like Beezle is THCA vs THC. Plus since the oil is already activated you gain ~15% more THC per gram which you don't have to lose to decarboxylation.

florduh

Funny I left that one out, that's what I've been hitting lately, Co2 oil from Brite Labs. Honestly hits like a nail hit in a ccell cart. I'm really surprised at how stoned its been getting me as I typically have 2 enails going at once lol. It seems stronger than distillate + reintroduced food terps to me.

I agree that's the future of carts, I don't think many people will even bother dabbing a live resin and lose half of the dab to reclaim and the dab tool when it could be loaded in a cartridge pen for on demand enjoyment. As long as that single source terpene pour off is being added, the only major difference between live resin in a glass jar and a sauce pen like Beezle is THCA vs THC. Plus since the oil is already activated you gain ~15% more THC per gram which you don't have to lose to decarboxylation.

Thanks for the recommendation! I have seen them around the Valley. Brite sells Co2 "wax" as well. I don't mind Carts, but I prefer something with more open airflow like the Nexus. I think Select pust out some decent Co2 oil as well, and they're about to roll out syringes to SoCal.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Thanks for the recommendation! I have seen them around the Valley. Brite sells Co2 "wax" as well. I don't mind Carts, but I prefer something with more open airflow like the Nexus. I think Select pust out some decent Co2 oil as well, and they're about to roll out syringes to SoCal.

The Brite Labs stuff is definitely hashy tasting, no pina colada terps for sure, the Hash Plant and Sour Diesel are both pretty dank though if you jive with the hashy Co2 flavor.

I haven't tried them but Select Elite also uses cannabis derived terps I haven't really used carts for like 6 years so I'm just kinda getting back into the scene now that better quality oils and better wicking carts are appearing. I jumped on them when they first came to Cali but lost interest with all the dilution. They really aren't any more expensive now for pure uncut oils than they were years back when O Pen was cutting Co2 oil with PEG.

fernand

I just tried ABX
(natural taste and a rather strain-specific JackHerrer effect)
and

Sublime
(THC shotgun with deelish terps, very unlike Sour Diesel in taste and with a generic Sativa effect).
In fact, a 0 CBD should be a tip-off, that ain't no Sour Diesel.

They all make claims, like "all plant-based terpenes".
Yeah, like a big drum of D-Limonene extracted from some citrus tree.

Anybody try Eden Extracts?

Last edited:
fernand,
Reactions: jpdnkstr

fernand

Well, I did, just now. The Diamond cart is different in that
it has top air inlets. No leaking out the bottom 510 connector.

The cart also has a lower resistance, 1.19 ohm, and demands
more power to get going. The ABX and the Sublime put out
a light tasty vapor at 4-5 watts, and they're going strong at 7.
The White Diamond (gorgeous) cartridge puts out nothing
at that level. At 7.5 watts there's the first wispy hits. And the
air flow is massive. I ended up putting a finger on one of the
two vents. At 9 watts you're in light vape. But what a strange
taste. On the intake it's kind of automotive, like old motor oil,
not diesel. On the exhale it has hints of the alleged Sour Diesel
strain.

If you run it on a 3.7v mod, it sucks 11.5 watts and gives off
a pretty thick vapor. But the taste ranks a solid C if not lower.
Kind of hard to understand. Like this batch just turned out this
way?

These outfits that make these are pretty modest operations,
we're in the boutique phase still, and it's trial and error, but at
least they're working on it. If this oil were better blended, this
cart would have good potential.

Maybe that's why their other strains are $60 at competing
dispensaries instead of $40 for the SD? Sell the runt to the
people down the street for less. Well, but ... bleh ... the
taste. The QQ don't have ANY such problems that I can see
so far ;-)

hlNn7Sil.jpg

Will SOMEONE please tell me how to embed images from IMGUR
into a page so the full rez can also be viewed?

fernand

One cautionary thought. If you're a nicotine AND a cannabis vaper,
it's important not to get them mixed up. Nothing like suckin' away
vigorously on your vanilla 3 mg/ml nicotine juice for half an hour,
and then realizing you've just gone through a half a cart of distillate,
with an average THC concentration of 92% .... .... ... .. .

fernand

... I still think it tasted like ass.

A bit of analog nostalgia,
masterful digital emulation
of 2014 carts.

Last edited:
fernand,

fernand

They've been doing strain specific carts for a while now here in California.

Yes, I'm in California, and that's exactly what I'm questioning. I have started testing these carts, along with some older ones I had. Now they nearly all claim strain specific, they all talk terpenes, and so far only the ABX comes anywhere close to resembling a "strain specific" cannabis experience.

I care because it's only by studying the strain differences that we will ultimately decipher cannabis pharmacology at the receptor level. It's like in cryptography, you need to compare different samples. I care because only some strains remedy specific problems.

The simplistic idea that's being pushed is that terpene mixtures are really THE thing that gives each strain its properties. This allows the vendors to take a distillate, add some terpenes, and voila, it's your Gorilla Glue or Sour Diesel or Durban Poison. But it's not.

Southern California and Northern California have different "brands" in the dispensaries. Can someone who thinks we're getting "strain specific" carts, please PLEASE steer me to a 0.5g 510 type cart make that's available in NorCal and truly approximates specific strains in more than a couple of rudimentary parameters?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Southern California and Northern California have different "brands" in the dispensaries. Can someone who thinks we're getting "strain specific" carts, please PLEASE steer me to a 0.5g 510 type cart make that's available in NorCal and truly approximates specific strains in more than a couple of rudimentary parameters?

Beezle is flavoring their distillate with a high terpene live resin sauce from a single pass hydrocarbon extraction.

Blue River is doing solventless sauce cartridges using rosin and adding a bit of terpenes extracted from the original starting material to make up for anything lost during the THCA separation.

Nativ is doing distillate flavored with rosin sauce.

Blue River and Nativ are only doing Pax Pods though, not 510 thread. Beezle pens are 510 threaded though.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
One cautionary thought. If you're a nicotine AND a cannabis vaper,
it's important not to get them mixed up. Nothing like suckin' away
vigorously on your vanilla 3 mg/ml nicotine juice for half an hour,
and then realizing you've just gone through a half a cart of distillate,
with an average THC concentration of 92% .... .... ... .. .
That's why I only use reclaim for that purpose, with a drop or two of terp taste is decent but nothing like straight concentrates!
I vape that mixture in a veco tank, not with my precious QQ for sure!

fernand

@invertedisdead thanks! When I see a Beezle cart that's strain-specific to something I know, I'll grab one. They say it up front: it's distillate, ENRICHED with a high terpene full spectrum extract, whatever that comes from. Maybe Alien Monkey Brains, that's the big bush that grows down by Jimmy's tool shed, it's non-denominational, but DAMN it sure is DANK, that sucker's like a terpene milk cow ! ;-)

Last edited:

fernand

Looking at this lady, erh, woman, person, doing 98% THC is very interesting.

What it says is that all that "smashed" look is due to other compounds than the THC itself. And I doubt it's all just the terpenes shaping its personality, so it's more likely ALL the "lesser cannabinoids' and the terpenes and the flavonoids and maybe other compounds we weren't paying attention to.

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Who do you think is buying Divine Tribe products? I don't think it's your typical prefilled cart crowd. Only the most hardcore of vapor hobbyists will take 5 minutes to program a box mod for these sub ohm atomizers. That takes real dedication! :D

lol! :rofl:

I think at this point its the battery that is the bottleneck for many folks, they really just want to push a button and get vapor. Smarter temperature control algorithms are the future I think, like the Omni mini board in the Vaporesso Nexus.

It hurts to say, but I set up a bunch of people with V3's on Evic Basics with a custom TC profile, and even with that big head start, their lack of interest in learning a box mod did cause them to go back to the YoCan. And with lack of TC those YoCans taste like a combustion pen... :puke: disgusting, unregulated hits off nichrome wire.

I actually think the prefilled cart is the future of cannabis vaporization though. That CCell hits like a dab rig, with the right oils it's just as good as any top tier setup. With all these processes being developed for extracting plaint resins into clean wicking oils,eventually the costs will trickle down and sauce pens won't cost much more than simple distillate pens of today. I don't think tons of people will really even want to load and dab live sauces if they can just puff it out of a cart with no reclaim or mess.

Sadly, I agree with you on the battery / mod being a bottleneck to more wide-spread use and acceptance of portable concentrate vapes for the 'typical consumer.' Hardcore LAYG warriors like us :lol: :rolleyes: might look at our mods with a sense of blase familiarity, like, "you must be a moron if you can't figure this out!" Well, not all people are as tech-oriented or patient. Can't blame em' for having tolerance for nothing more than pressing a button and inhaling.

Even with a few people I've given that "big head start" setting them up with V2.5, V3's, mods set up & ready to go, stock or AF, none of them have any will or interest to keep it up much longer past the time their donut needs the first swabbing or burning clean. :shrug:Stoners can be a lazy bunch, who'd have thought?

I think I agree you with that the prefill is the future that cannabis vaping is headed, not that I'm enthusiastic about that or liking that trend.

Unfortunately, I think you're right that pre-fills are the future. I'm a nic vaporist as well. Every one of my friends who vapes nicotine now buys Juul pods, even though they cost more and offer a worse experience than filling your own tanks.

I'm starting to see the same thing with cannabis. I don't have a major issue with pre-fills. Especially with a quality oil inside (Rove come to mind).

I DO have an issue with all the extra waste. Single use disposable cartridges bother me. I wish more quality oil filled syringes were available near me. Getting people to fill something like the Vaporesso Nexus seems more doable than getting people to use a load as you go wax atomizer.

I would have less of a problem with pre-filled tanks if they simply worked alot better, and perhaps they were worthy of a refill or few before they end up in the trash? The issue of waste bothers me as well, but we should put it in the context that typical consumers create lots of unnecessary waste and trash, it takes extra effort to have a small footprint. Even tossing little pre-made replaceable coils is trash, building your own RBA coils wastes the least, but both are beyond what most vapers want to be bothered with.

I also have some friends that can blow through massive amounts of oil tanks, 2 or 3g (or more :o) per week in 0.5ml tanks, it's not hard for one hungry vape fiend to put 200-300 little carts in the trash per year! :cry: (damn)

I think refillable syringes will be more widespread in due time. As these oils get cleaner and cleaner, they shouldn't really need to be replaced too often since they don't have that much non vaporizable plant contaminant to gunk the atomizer up. I hear you about the waste thing but I think ultimately its a very small amount of waste compared to other mainstream disposable products like razors and plastic utensils. I'm totally on board with more re-usable pens though, too bad the Trinity doesn't seem to live up to its expectations, as that ability to clean and re-purpose had me really sold on the platform. I'm pretty new to Ccells, gave up carts years back and have strongly been a die hard LAYG advocate, really have had a lot of negative thoughts about prefilled pens in general, but after trying some Co2 pens recently I'm pretty blown away by how hard they hit when not diluted. I have two e-nails going at the same time and still was reaching for that pen.

I think there's of course a conflict of interest for manufacturers to develop rock solid products when they are used to selling something disposable in huge order quantities. I know Divine Tribe posted a pic on IG recently of a ceramic cart so who knows what we'll be seeing from Matt in that sector!

I can only speak for the quality of what I buy in my local market. I figure that in lots of prohibition jurisdictions, people feel lucky to pick up mid-grade shatter & wax that isn't de-winterized, and dirty distillate too. For legal places, the quality of concentrates continues to improve, even though it seems like the supply in the southern lands is more spotty still?

Syringes and applicators are still a tiny fraction of the available co2 & distillate supply in my area. But even as clean as pure distillate can be, even with carefully calibrated temps on non-porous ceramic heaters, there will still be gunking up and buildup of crusts and cruds, CBN, oxidized terps, etc, over the course of a few grams. I've seen it. With the porous ccell types, that gunking process happens only quicker, no matter how clean & pure your oil is. So to make tank/pod type atomizers that really have longevity and don't need to change coils so frequently, a switch to non-porous alumina can be a big help, and so will implementing precise, reliable TC! Any sort of TC at all on vapes like the nexus with "3 temp levels" is better than none, but how much can you trust that? Is it coil resistance / TCR based? With the inconsistent coil readings and feedback I've heard on some vaporesso mods, I'd be skeptical, but that doesn't mean TC can't be done right in a pod or AIO vape! Other companies that claim to do this like pax era, I have zero confidence in the meaningfulness of their "TC" :mental:

I wouldn't get too excited about Matt's ceramic cart posted on IG just yet. That appears to be just a longmada clone of a type of all-ceramic (body) small 510 tank that many companies are producing. You can buy them all over ebay and dhgate. With a high-ohm silica ccell heater and bottom airflow, there's nothing ground-breaking there, really. :shrug:

Yea that's a good bonus with distillate+HTFSE mix, your active THC tips the scales heavier than that fresh THCa present in the sauce.

inverted, I'll have to give you credit again for tipping me off to the idea of distillate + terps for the tanks. I know it's not like you thought of the idea yourself, but a lot of time might have passed before I heard about it later. Some chernobyl HTE + raw distillate is smashing me on-demand with potent, spicy rips on my invoke! :ko:

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
My posts aren't long. Your guys' 8 posts that I'm quoting are :evil:

one year later and my primo is now getting this issue. I've been tightening but even that is not working so well any other tips? replace the screw maybe?

I have 3 primo minis, and I've run into issues with battery limitations and poor battery performance on them. On this mod, you need a stronger, higher amp CDR battery to push the same or lesser watts / amps than you would draw on a more efficient mod like an evic or a pico.

I've screwed the screws in tight. It helped a little. Basically, you can put the strongest, freshest battery you can put in your primo mini, lower the max watts to your atomizer a little. Install AF if you haven't already, it will give you a little more control.

But when it come down to it, the primo mini is very battery limited, it will say "battery low" and refuse to fire your atty sooner, with more volts on your charge, compared to other mods. You can't get around it, it has poor discharge capabilities. If you have other mods and attys, swap your least battery-demanding atty to the primo mini.

It's a cute mod with a nice form, button, TC, etc, besides that. Too bad the bad battery performance ruins it.

Can you please direct me to where I can read about and get AF (for the QQ)?
Is this firmware for specific Joyetech mods? With software for Windows? mac?

I see the original little Pico is getting scarce, that fatter one's extra capacity is unnecessary and the result is a less pocketable and toadyer mod. What's newer and available that's no worse, maybe better?

It looks like nobody has come close to beating the Pico's size and handiness, unless you go the eGo style. Any good at least Wattage-adjustable ones in eGo format to use with carts?

I will lead a fern directly to water. Will he drink?

Arcticfox latest release

NFE tools latest release

Download the .bin file for AF, and download the NFE tools program. Unzip and install the NFE program. Run the ntoolbox, it allows you to flash the .bin file to your mod to install the software, and other tools in the program let you configure the options on your mod and atomizer profiles. Most but not all options can be set from the mod, without the computer program. You don't need to set most of the other mod options if you don't want to get too deep to start, just set up atomizer profiles to start.

I can install AF on a new mod, set up my preferences and a few atomizer profiles in 3-5 minutes, although this is a well-worn exercise for me. You shouldn't have much difficulty if you're computer & mod literate, although you may find it amusing to browse through all the tabs & options AF offers you on the PC client.

Hopefully you have a PC or can use one for this, but there's a buggy mac version if you're down for a little 3rd party-on-3rd party action. :brow:

I'll also repeat my recommendation of the eleaf invoke. Pico size, smaller weight, more battery, more screen. It's a huge hit with the e-cig folks apparently, and @looney2nz and @Bad Ocelot seem to love theirs too. But either this one or that rustic, dated pico can run AF for you.

Worth mentioning that pulsing the vapor through a water
tool the terpene blend had a nice flavor. Using the pen,
they claim 100 "doses", without a water filtration unit in
public would be very harsh, it's too high a wattage, too hot,
too much, at least with the battery new.

Here's the image with a different linking

Td55HZWm.jpg

I think it should be noted, that no matter how clean, pure, terpy and therapeutic the oil in your pen is, when it is heated to temps in excess of 500F, especially with porous silica heaters & cotton wicks, that clean oil is gonna start to taste like crap fairly soon, and passing subsequent hits through that dirty coil aren't going to taste any better. The coils that touch your oil in those little un-regulated pens like that, draw or button-fired, routinely get that hot. Terpenes aren't very medicinal when you combust them. People pulse the button, and try to take short puffs, but that's like playing russian roulette. All of this tomfoolery can easily be avoided by plugging that 510 cart into a TC mod that goes up to 1.5 ohm. There's plenty of them. (and a few small carts that will TC too)

Also fern, if you were looking for good, clean brands of oil with the original, strain specific terps in it, i would also submit:

gold drop :nod:
jetty extracts :tup:
bakked brand :clap:
americanna
(now defunct i think?)

I've been filling my tanks mostly with these recently, and they all have real, strain-specific terps from the same flowers the thc comes from. And it actually tastes like the strain does! I've had flowers and other forms of concentrate of strains I've tried in a syringe, and it's reassuring & satisfying when durban poison & GG4 tastes the same in a tank as it does in a saucy blob on my quartz cup, or on my flower bowl.

But I can only vouch for the oil quality though! I don't use their pre-filled tanks, which are more numerous, and I would only expect quick thermolysis degradation on any of these carts with a non-temp regulated battery if I hit it the way I like to. (heartily)

These are some of the few brands I can find applicators and syringes recently, so I'm limited. There are more choices for quality oil if you're open to pre-fills, which is nearly everyone except me. I've heard good stuff about stizzy & honey vape as well. Maybe you can find some of those diesely strains that give you that magical spinal tap amongst these choices? :2c:

Last edited:

fernand

Can't complain about ... any of this. It's like the best forkin' easter egg hunt. Thanks @Vape Donkey 650. I see a Bakked dabbaratus, but it's an OG Indica. I'll wait for another strain. The others you mention are harder to find.

I think I'm going to actually return the Eden Diamond [truly gorgeous, top air, pyrex tube, probably wickless vertical ceramic heater, cartridge] because either the bush they got the terpenes from was abused as a young clone, or the guys running "the operation" didn't go through the pre-flight checklist on that run, and nobody said "oops" until the calamity had fully unfolded. It simply tastes -- I hesitate to use the phrase that says too much about too many things -- but truth be told, it tastes "like ass".

I'm growing my stash of unworthies, that's natural and fair, and it gives the stash more mass and variety, and they "can't all be winners", and all that. But, while some might be shaky "investments", it's not often I look at one and actually shudder at the thought of "doing" it. Eden's Diamond Sour Diesel stands out as worse-tasting than that O-pen PG-enriched cart that's spontaneously dissolving the old Xanax refill bottle it was "saved" in, and that I can't throw out only because it's doing less damage here than in the belly of some tuna I'll be having in a sandwich one day.

The Dr Delights Delta-8 THC all-in-one that you suck on to overheat its load, is unfortunately not a 510 rig. I suspect there's an ugly siphoning of the contents in its future.

Damn, gotta buy more 18650 batteries.

My eVic VTC Mini po' baby has been dropped on its head so many times now, and I've had the board out on the bench and straightened the frame with a mallet, but now it's getting crotchety.

Picos, older or newer, all work great. Even the Mega they sent me by mistake. I punched up a wattage profile for the "consumer carts" and some from-scratch sweet TC profiles for QQ and for V2.5 in one minute. I don't think it's the effort that people object to. It's remembering how many clicks on what to get to where in the menus -- these are like the VCRs that nobody could program.

Are bona fide nic vapers really buying JUULs? Then that salt nic must really kick ass.

Yes, I'll try the A-fox. Hey, maybe it will teach the old eVic new tricks.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
inverted, I'll have to give you credit again for tipping me off to the idea of distillate + terps for the tanks. I know it's not like you thought of the idea yourself, but a lot of time might have passed before I heard about it later. Some chernobyl HTE + raw distillate is smashing me on-demand with potent, spicy rips on my invoke! :ko:

No worries brother, Beezle is the first brand I saw do the live resin sauce flavored distillate. That's where I got the idea from. Now Nativ is doing distillate flavored with rosin sauce. That's right up my alley and one I'm really wanting to try.

Blue River claims to use a special high performance Pax Era pod fitted with a silicon carbide wick. I want to try their pods more than any other, but availability in SoCal is pretty low right now. Price is also very high but you tend to get what you pay for with these things right now.

That's interesting you give Jetty the thumbs up, I was really turned off by their products I tried last year, but I noticed now they are asking $60 for a half gram pod so perhaps they have really stepped things up or something? Invested in some new tech? I definitely wanna try every cart that actually tastes like a quartz nail hit though! I'd just assume retire the entire vaporizer collection the day I can have a few fantastic pod flavors on deck to swap around with. It seems that day is nearly here...!! :D I honestly see nail hits going out of style.

I notice more and more brands are claiming to use reintroduced cannabis derived terpenes now - but I can't quite tell how many are being truthful or not. Do pure isolated terpenes just tend to taste like essential oils, even if they actually come from cannabis itself? I just don't see how isolated terpenes can compare to a more full spectrum sauces as far as flavoring distillate goes.

Last edited:

SubRosa

Well-Known Lurker
Been a long time since I've caught up on this thread since getting my first DT 2.5 a long, long time ago. It finally died due to a fall, and in addition to getting another couple of 2.5s, I couldn't pass on the QQ because the good stuff not touching the heating element or being able to melt down into airpath/etc seemed such an improvement.

I am enjoying it, even though it isn't something like the DT 2.5 where I can just load a good bit and be on the go all day taking a hit whenever all day. Really only loading one session at a time and cleaning after is a very different, almost ritual experience. If I'm going to the trouble, maybe to some extent I don't know why this is really preferable to a larger more stationary setup.

But really where it sort of shines is being able to control and limit your temperature. I haven't been able to get my IR thermometer to really do a passable job at measuring the temperature of the bowl, and the delay in regards to temperature of the rods to heat it up makes it also difficult. And in this thread I've found very very many different suggested settings.

Thanks to ArcticFox I was able to load up 8 different profiles that I found suggested, and compare them. Not subjectively, but rather in terms of AT WHAT RESISTANCE DOES IT STOP. Because obviously at different TCR / temperature combinations, it will stop at different set temperature, but it is all really a standin for Ω. While cold, my QQ (and mine is a newly ordered current batch, so v2 I guess to be clear) has a base of .256Ω which is locked.

I went through the following profiles, and I'll include what Ω they reached at their target temperature.
Code:
TCR // Tmp // .EndΩ
230 // 360 // .356Ω **fernand's suggested for low temp/vape experience
Ni  // 310 // .426Ω
Ni  // 400 // .405Ω **Preset was wattage limited at 20w
225 // 520 // .401Ω
400 // 430 // .463Ω
225 // 410 // .366Ω
235 // 540 // .415Ω
235 // 510 // .405Ω
280 // 500 // .429Ω
400 // 370 // .429Ω

I found the interesting clumping of there being a couple of recommendations good for low temp vaping, a lot that actually are around the same spot of .405Ω, and then some people who want it hotter.

My next thought is how can I get my IR thermometer to do a better job of measuring temperature so that I can more narrowly understand that actual temperatures that .360Ω or .405Ω represent.

Thanks to Vape Donkey 650 for the heads up about ArcticFox, which is what made doing this possible. Thanks fernand for the post about low temp nanodabbing. I was worried about wastage with cleaning out after every use, and realizing a very very tiny load works for me means that I have very little wastage and can sure make not much stretch a long way. Haven't settled on my preferred profile is yet, but I'm sure that will be fun experimenting. :science:

Last edited:

fernand

Ah, welcome aboard @SubRosa!
I imagine every QQ might be different enough
to require tweaks. I just compared to
thermocouple in vaseline in cup and made
some small corrections.
Overall the IR gun
and the thermocouple read pretty close,
but it's awkward to mount the thermocouple,
and I'm not surprised at some diffs. Try
as follows:

Set TCR memory M3 to 260, set unit to TC
using M3. I get better tracking ~ 260.

Set watts (during climb to temp) to 30 W.
A higher value will reach temp faster, but
will overshoot before the cup catches up.
I'm tempted to go back to 25W.

Allow 2-3 cycles to let it work up to temp.

Set target temp wherever, say 350 deg F
for low temp dabs, that's what they call "not
burning the stuff" nowadays.

Above 400 deg only a few diehard compounds
remain to boil off anyway, and it tastes worse.

Set the IR gun's Emissivity at .85, or leave at
default, and take your readings not at the
laser sighter's spot, because at close range
parallax makes that useless, but just put the
mouth of the IR gun right over the quartz cup.

IR Gun mode set to MAX, HOLD highest reading.

Swirl the IR gun a bit over cup the as you push
the button. That lets you capture temp all over
the cup.

If you're seeing temps within +/- 10 deg F of
the temp as set on the mod, you're doing great.

Even if you hold the button down every 10
seconds you should not horribly exceed your
set temp. BUT as the whole heatsink assembly
heats up and you're not drawing air through,
the regulation seems to suffer and the temp
in the bare cup starts to rise, and reaches
a bit over 400 deg F. So all you have to do
if you want higher temp fractions is just let
it creep up that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom