Divine Tribe atty's

Adobewan

Thanks @OF...(I now torch them).
I'm sure you guys have clearly stated this in the thread already but regarding used donuts, I've been burning off as much of the black in wattage mode, then soaking the donuts in ISO, and finally scraping with a metal tool. Very tedious and only so effective.
Is it really as easy as holding a lead in tweezers and blasting the donut with a torch?

codyppc

All my 2 months of Vaping Knowledge comes from this thread (LOL), so I'm going to ask a silly question that I felt I only wanted this groups answers on...

What do you guys think about the portable enail vapes? Like the Dr. Dabber.

I know most of you keep the temps down for taste and health, but sometimes I wanna "ripper" and cant quite get that out of the DTv3.

I know I don't want to get into the torches and crap.

Thanks, Cody

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
All my 2 months of Vaping Knowledge comes from this thread (LOL), so I'm going to ask a silly question that I felt I only wanted this groups answers on...

What do you guys think about the portable enail vapes? Like the Dr. Dabber.

I know most of you keep the temps down for taste and health, but sometimes I wanna "ripper" and cant quite get that out of the DTv3.

I know I don't want to get into the torches and crap.

Thanks, Cody

Have you tried turning the temp up? 30 watts 450-500F seems to be able to choke out most anybody I know with a sufficiently loaded donut. However I don't like to run them like this as they get gunked up so fast when you run them hot.

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I'm sure you guys have clearly stated this in the thread already but regarding used donuts, I've been burning off as much of the black in wattage mode, then soaking the donuts in ISO, and finally scraping with a metal tool. Very tedious and only so effective.
Is it really as easy as holding a lead in tweezers and blasting the donut with a torch?
Yes. There are a couple schools of though on cleaning. Matt has just produced a video showing a method he's been using for quite and is about as simple as you can get. I dislike discharging my cells to clean donuts - so I disassemble them and use a torch. You have to be more careful when taking them apart as the leads bend easily (I use needle nose pliers) but once disassembled, i just grab the donut by both leads and torch it - same with the cup (which I grab from the back through an air hole). I use a plumbers torch for this - moving it frequently. The entire process takes me around 15 minutes.

stinkbud

It seems to me that the metal used for the heaters is the same as used in V2.5, therefore the same m value works 'just fine by me' (gives expected vapor at 390F setting). That is 245 (.245% per degree C of rise) for the Gen 2 and SMALL V3 (same as for V 2.5s). The larger one seems to get hotter (makes sense to me it's a wider heater.....) so it runs hot at that same setting so I reduce it to an m value of 170 instead (to preserve the same sort of performance with 390F 'dialed up'. Power settings are 12.5W for the small doughnut and the V2.5, 18 Watts for the big doughnut. Gen 2 uses 24 Watts and gets to full temperature about 15 seconds in. More power would get there faster, but it's plenty fast for me and I don't want to hammer the mod or Gen 2 more than needed.

That should get guys going. They can then 'tweak' the temperature setting a bit to get the results they want with the material they have to work with. Or, after due consideration, tweak the m value up to make it hotter, down to lower, until the Temperature display matches expectations......which is how I ended up lowering the m value for the big guys to 170.....

V 2.5: m=245, 12.5 W, 390F
V 3 (small): m=245, 12.5W, 390F
V 3 (large): m=170, 18W, 390F
Gen 2: m-245, 24W, 390F

Best wishes,

OF

I just got mine in, started vaping with your gen 2 settings on my AF modded Pico....I keep getting TCR errors

stinkbud,
Reactions: OF

codyppc

Have you tried turning the temp up? 30 watts 450-500F seems to be able to choke out most anybody I know with a sufficiently loaded donut. However I don't like to run them like this as they get gunked up so fast when you run them hot.

This is why I started looking at an alternative to the DTv3.

The first couple grams I started thinking, but didn't start keeping track of until recently. I am collecting about 1/2 gram of ABV, residual, or errl, whatever you call it, for ever gram of shatter. This is Craft710 shatter. I don't think turning up the heat, causing more brown crap that makes me cough worse than flower, would be a good idea. Having a clean cup, with no leftovers after a hit, would be great.

I was trying to find out how to use ALL MY PURCHASED PRODUCT without wasting ANYTHING. I'm not poor, but I'm also not rich. Still working hard for a living.

I just got mine in, started vaping with your gen 2 settings on my AF modded Pico....I keep getting TCR errors

This was why I left AF. I had the same thing happening to me. I flash back the stock pico firmware and everything worked fine. I later found a semi-loose screw on coil wire which may have also been a factor, who knows. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Cody

OF

I'm sorry I know nothing about AF software (my computer wouldn't compile it and I wondered off). It does work with Picos quite well. I'm running 3 right now, one with a Gen 2. I've set up four friends with a Pico (all white as it happens?) and a Gen 2 kit (two with V3s as well). Nobody reports problems.

It could be software, but it can also be loose connections that give an 'out of range' resistance, even briefly. I suspect there are a LOT of us doing this at this point, Picos in TCR mode will work (eventually), the exact numbers (both temperature and m value) have nothing to do with this sort of error, the issue is 'further up in the program'.

So, excepting possible problems from the software change it should work fine for you like so many others? Did you try it with the factory programing? Have you tried reloading that?

OF

grokit

well-worn member
It seems to me that the metal used for the heaters is the same as used in V2.5, therefore the same m value works 'just fine by me' (gives expected vapor at 390F setting). That is 245 (.245% per degree C of rise) for the Gen 2 and SMALL V3 (same as for V 2.5s). The larger one seems to get hotter (makes sense to me it's a wider heater.....) so it runs hot at that same setting so I reduce it to an m value of 170 instead (to preserve the same sort of performance with 390F 'dialed up'. Power settings are 12.5W for the small doughnut and the V2.5, 18 Watts for the big doughnut. Gen 2 uses 24 Watts and gets to full temperature about 15 seconds in. More power would get there faster, but it's plenty fast for me and I don't want to hammer the mod or Gen 2 more than needed.

That should get guys going. They can then 'tweak' the temperature setting a bit to get the results they want with the material they have to work with. Or, after due consideration, tweak the m value up to make it hotter, down to lower, until the Temperature display matches expectations......which is how I ended up lowering the m value for the big guys to 170.....

Best wishes,

OF
I'm a real nube at this...
First off, how do I know if my v3 is gen1 or gen2?
I received it as part of a package a couple weeks ago, but nothing seems to specify gen2
I received two small and one big donut so they changed that part.
However the small donut seems to like 24w much better than 18w or less.
I don't understand the 'm', this has to do with resistance?
My istick pico has 'tcr' mode, where I would choose m1, m2 or m3, but...
...I'm using 'tc-ni' mode instead, it displays 0.70Ω
Anyways when I bumped it up to 24w it was :ko: (finally)
Maybe 24w for the big donut and I should drop it to 21-22w for the small one?
Hope this made sense.

edit: I believe I need to enroll in mod/atomizer/ohm's law school or something :haw:
edit2: yea 21w works fine :brow:

:hmm::freak:

Last edited:

OF

I'm a real nube at this...
First off, how do I know if my v3 is gen1 or gen2?

I don't understand the 'm', this has to do with resistance?
My istick pico has 'tcr' mode, where I would choose m1, m2 or m3, but...
...I'm using 'tc-ni' mode instead, it displays 0.70Ω

It's confusing for sure, real 'can't tell your players without a program' country. Let's see if we can put some of this chaos in order?

First off, Gen 2 is the herb cart. It looks like this:
http://ineedhemp.com/product/generation-2-dc-ceramic-rebuildable-dry-herb-atomizer/

V3 and 2.5 are concentrate carts. V3 is 'rebuildable' (owners can replace the heaters and do other work), V2.5 is glued together and is a 'one shot' deal. V2.7 is a V2.5 with a different MP.

You can run them a couple of ways. If you go in VW (variable power) you have a problem in that it takes energy (heat) to make vapor meaning when that changes (like you stop hitting as hard) the temperature is going to go up since that energy has to go somewhere. It's a bit like picking a gas peddle position that makes your car go a constant 70 MPH despite winds, up and down hills and so on.

Enter cruse control for your car? TCR is cruse control for vapes. TCR uses a property of most metals to sense temperature (instead of say a thermistor like in Solo). TCR is "Temperature Coefficient of Resistance", a number that describes the change in resistance (in percent) for a given temperature change (typically one degree C). The metal used has an apparent TCR of about 2450 parts per million (1/10,000ths of a percent), about 1/4% per degree C. If we start at say .7 Ohms at 20C and want to go to say 200C we need a 180 degree C rise? So we can expect 180 times .245%, a 44% change give or take. Since it's a positive TC (most metals are positive, some materials are negative (like glasses)). A 44% rise on .7 Ohms is an additional .31 Ohms for a total of 1.01. If you had a mod like the Mini or Basic you can watch this resistance reading change as it heats. This change is 'translated back to degrees' and is displayed as the temperature. That displayed value goes up because the sensed resistance goes up. And it goes up at the rate (% per degree C) you told it to expect by the 'm value' you entered. Change that m value and the displayed temperature changes even though the real temperature is the same. Or, conversely, the real temperature changes even though the displayed one doesn't?

Enter TCR mode. Here the mod uses that resistance change to determine how close it is to the selected temperature, therefore how much power it should deliver. Just like you car feeds fuel to the engine trying to get the driveshaft speed (and therefore car speed) to match the target. When a hill comes along it senses the drop in speed and applies more gas. Thus a 300 HP car can be made to say under the speed limit and keep you ticket free. Likewise, TCR mode can keep the temperature from 'running away' and yet provide 'plenty of power' to get to temperature fast.

Your mod has several preset m values, the one for Ni (which you're using?) is generally in the 600 to 700 range (.6 or .7% per degree C). So the mod will 'run hot' with the right number on the display but since the math is off the actual temperature will be higher by a fair bit. That is it will 'misread' the real temperature. It will work, but you have to frig the temperature selected.

You're allowed 3 custom m values. Use any one of the 3 you want. I put 170 in m1 (for big doughnuts) and 245 in m2 (for everything else). All my mods are set up this way to avoid accidents. Just select the m 'channel' appropriate to the load.

Now to powers. If you remove the controls and put fixed power into the V3 (or 2.5) you either 'never get hot enough' or 'get to good vapor in a reasonable time'. Or worse still go overtemp and cook your oil. And again in this mode if it's the right temperature and you hit it hard it will end up too cold. So we pick a base heat that will reach temperature in a reasonable time (say 5 seconds or so?) without overdriving. You don't slam on the gas when the light turns green, right? Well, maybe if you're young and don't know better, but most of us apply power to get to the speed limit without annoying those behind us or getting a ticket for laying rubber off the line. That's what got me to the power levels I suggest. I ran them up and up until I got to 'temperature limit' after a few seconds (with a lightly loaded bowl, since that heat load can confuse things no end.

So that's the scheme. For the small doughnut you tell the mod to expect a 44% rise, display it as a temperature that makes sense to you and hold that resistance value by controlling the power. Automatically, like cruse control. And we tell it 'apply 12.5 Watts until you reach temperature', not the 75 Watts possible.

Confused enough for a Wednesday night? Great, ready for the test?

Here's a page that describes the same sort of stuff in other terms:
http://guidetovaping.com/2016/07/16/what-is-this-tcr-mode/

OF

grokit

well-worn member
So tc mode is preset resistance values for different types of metals, and tcr/m is custom resistance values but they basically function the same? And my istick has a way to set custom 'm123' values for tcr mode? I wonder what they defaults are. Sigh it's time to get the magnifying glass back out maybe it's in the book.

Anyways thanks @OF I'll check out the beginner's article they refer to first, they both look like excellent resources even if maybe a bit too honest: "while it is a major learning curve you will figure it out" :lol:

Back to my homework :\

:sherlock:

grokit,
Reactions: Morty

Morty

@grokit I just recently got the exact same setup. I also got the DC Gen 2 Dry Herb Atomizer as well. I highly recommended it. Especially for the $. I've only been using it the last two days but it's been great for hitting the trails or taking low temp sips on break at work. They also just came out w/ a black version so you can complete the all black setup. Tits!

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
@OF, I only try to make this point because I respect your knowledge and opinions very much, :bowdown:and I've litigated this with you over the v2.5, but I must say, your recommended settings are very cautious! Cautious to the extreme!

The only reason I even care is because many other people will automatically defer to your recommendation and be reluctant to explore around and try different settings and techniques (as you also encourage them to do) so I feel that alot of newbs can be let down if they just blindly follow :(

Just my opinions and experiences here;

V2.5
TCR 245 is good for the 7mm donuts / v2.5 atomizer. It makes the temp on the screen and the actual donut pretty close. 12.5w for the 7mm donut is a little bit above the bare minimum to reach protection, but I vaped these little donuts on TC modes at 20-30w (25 mostly) for nearly 2 years and I never broke a single donut from high watts in temp control vaping, having vaped dozens of grams on many v2.5 atomizers. I only "broke" them by burning clean above 12w or by contacting the donut too much

12.5w takes 3-4+ seconds to reach temp, while 25w is just over 1 sec, and a heavily loaded, air-cooled 7mm donut can take 14-16w to maintain temp at times, so 12.5w will have it struggling and producing less vapor.

V3.0 (small - medium really)
I find TCR 245 to make these 10mm donuts run hotter than the display indicates, by at least 50F ore more with the swings. I use TCR 190-200 on the 10mm discs to make the temperatures match, if the user cares about temperatures matching (most users dont care)

12.5w is severely under powering a 10mm donut, IMO. What does it take like 5 or 6 seconds to reach protection under load? Maybe some people don't want to reach temp protection, (you can do that with PID) or only want a very slow, controlled trickle of vape, and we're all free to use our devices as we like, but I think your V3 recommendations should have a qualifier there. :doh: I see my 10mm donuts normally pull 14-17w under heavy load, even after protection! 12.5w leaves alot on the table (floor, cup)

Most users want more vapor (the most vapor) and want it quick.

There's no necessary downside in running reasonably higher watts in temp control, no burning or foul taste, no big temp overshoots are inevitable.

Using a good mod, with an accurate stable resistance locked in, (no loose screws and oil filled posts) and possible well-tuned PI(D) with myev/AF even better, no body is blowing up donuts rapidly by running their V3s at 20-30w. That is the recommended range by DT.

Yes, we can take it to extremes, and get sub-second warmups with 40-50+w. Go above that on a less-than-tightly tuned mod, and we will probably see more busted donuts, or much shorter life spans.

But if the blowing up donuts is your only reason for going low watts, its just an undue concern! I don't see or hear it happening! I've run several 10mm donuts for many months now at 28w and still haven't blown a single one! (only broke a wire on 2 during assembly)

Best wishes,

OF

I haven't used the large donuts much since the mediums came out, and it seems maybe the same for you OF? :huh: TCR 170 is a reasonable setting for (old, discontinued) 13mm discs. I found that to be a little low against my readings on the IR gun and was using TCR 190, but that's ok. :)

However, after those first couple of V3 shipments, with the lower-resistance large donuts (0.4-0.5Ω) I believe all the large donuts changed to a higher resistance (~0.6Ω+) and require a TCR of at least 300 or so to make heat at a reasonable temp target. I don't think many people are using the old large donuts, and TCR 170 will do little more than melt oil on big donuts shipping today. :(

But again with the watts, 18w or so takes a long time and leaves alot more oil on the bottom of the cup IME. 30-40w is reasonable for the large donuts, but if you want a slower warmup, go for it.

Gen 2 / DC, same idea pretty much, minus the oil falling into the cup.

Now I've nit-picked your settings one by one, and I even though you say it all the time, I don't doubt the sincerity of your best wishes :)

FWIW my 'take' on PI modifications for our use is it's a bad idea. It makes sense for the e-cig guys with huge heaters and lots of 'juice' in intimate contact with them. Heat can be instantly transferred to the load so you can 'trick' the unit into 'coming on very strong' at the start of a hit.

We don't enjoy that instant advantage, there's a time constant built into the V3 due to the glazing and substrate (which have to be heated before any concentrate can). Yes, you can overdrive the heater a bit, but that's not going to defeat the delay in getting the heat to the load. And, taken to extremes (as folks often do.....) it can, I think, invite expansion related problems with the expanding heater trapped inside a cool (and therefore contracted) glass shell.

OF

@OF: in the Project and BULLI/custom RDA's we do use PID and it's a must, but our scenario is different: we have coils in direct contact with the air and it's full-on convection, so there's no such lag to buffer the changes. Half a second of overshoot and you end up with a charred hot spot in the middle of the load and the taste is spoiled for the entire session, no matter how much you stir afterwards.

Plus the TC algo on the stock joyetech firmware is pretty crap, you can see the coil pulsing as the update rate is slow and the thing just cuts on and off brutally.

IME, a well-tuned donut just with a good TCR, watt, and temperaure # with an accurate locked in Ω on a good mod is pretty stable and accurate on the temps 95% of the time.

And the points about differences in materials, thermal transfer, and the "lag" or "buffer" that us ceramic donuts guys have regarding TC are taken. But the benefits of PID control seem apparent to me. I've had a couple "problem donuts" that had fluctuating temps and wattages and I tried everything possible to remedy it. Only by trying @bizwaxzion's PI settings with AF did I get that problem donut tamed and with stable temps and watts now.

And regarding the performance of the stock firmware on most eleaf / joyetech mods, vs. AF or myEV software, I don't think it's as bad as @KeroZen makes it out to be, perhaps because of our ceramic buffer,

But by observed temperatures on the screen on the mod, the NFE device monitor, and actual measurements with an IR thermometer, the 3rd party software is much more stable with less overshoot, if you can figure it out (not that hard)

Even just visually, through my large glass dab bulbs that sit atop my V3 bases, the spiking of temps and watts on my pico was apparent in an inconsistent, choppy, pulsing vapor stream. I installed AF and used only the same TCR settings, and the vapor stream from my pico's V3 was now a steady flowing stream. :)

The mod should do just fine, it's the doughnut that takes a beating......IMO for nothing useful in return? We wait a few seconds for full vapor, is one second more or less a big change? You get more variation than that with load size, right? Having to heat a bunch of concentrate slows the action relative to when there is very little?

I suggest you have a spare in hand, human nature can lead you (or anyone else) to push it too far exploring? If you have a backup handy, that's probably insurance.....

OF

This is one area where I have a differing opinion, I feel the sooner the heating surface gets to temperature, the better, in regards to efficient vaporization. I feel this largely impacts duration and intensity of effect. The most ideal (IMO) being a surface which is already at temperature before concentrate is applied, such as a quartz banger or e-nail. I find myself topping up quite a bit more often when using a concentrate pen versus low temp dabbing from a nail.

Obviously, I'm with inverted here. :D I already said it, but 20-30w on V3 donuts is not much of a beating at all, it helps get you where you want to go in a reasonable time with less oil melting slowly towards the ground, not being made into vapor. You still can't get a V3 to act like a real e-nail, with much more thermal energy stored, but you can safely maximize its potential and effectiveness by not underpowering it :shrug:

Are you saying a minor change in heat up time really changes anything but the time scale? And again, you see a change in heat up time with load level, I think this is a bigger factor WRT time?

Guys should explore it if they want, and no doubt some already are/have. I wish them well, I just don't see a big advantage here. Nothing like TCR regulation, for instance.

OF

It does change the amount of vapor produced in that given time period, and how much of the oil ends up being vaporized relative to the portion being melted into the cup for a single hit, that's what changing watts does.

But yes, I do agree people should explore, if they care enough, and have the time and oil to play around with, and then decide what they like for themselves. Let's not corral ourselves in too narrow a range, though. The donuts are cheap, like we said.

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
And regarding the performance of the stock firmware on most eleaf / joyetech mods, vs. AF or myEV software, I don't think it's as bad as @KeroZen makes it out to be, perhaps because of our ceramic buffer

Yes, keep in mind that all I say is about the Project, BULLI and custom convection RDA's. I don't own any DT atty and I hang in there just for the mod talk (and also because it's a fun thread!)

Vape Donkey 650

I am more interested in "Budget Friendly Medicating". I don't mind spending a little money if its going to save me money in the end. If you were to tell me my concentrates would go farther or last longer, i would have been all over it.

Right now, I dont want to think about using more product per hit. I need to save right now.

I'm struggling with all this residual or errl thats left over in the DTv3. I think i'm just doing something wrong. For a guy who's 1 - 1.5 gram a day flower, I shouldn't be going through 3/4 gram of MED Shatter should I? It seams as if I get one good hit per load, no matter the size, then a bunch of hits that make me cough like crazy. I think i take out .5g of left overs per ever gram i put in.

I haven't given up yet. That one hit was so tasty, i just gotta keep trying.

Thanks, Cody

Hey Cody, nice to see another diligent vaper taking up DT donuts! I saw you had alot of good questions earlier as you were getting started, it's great to have so many guys willing to offer good help and answers, I was agreeing with alot of the assistance you got. This is one concern of yours that I think has gone unresolved:

the reclaim

Some of the suggestions are good: a hydratube or bubbler to help you take bigger hits to finish smaller loads in one or 2 puffs and have less reclaim

loading smaller amounts possibly, and make sure it's only on the donut, not in the center hole or the sides

increasing temps, but only up to a certain degree; too hot does just make it too harsh and transforms sticky oil reclaim into burnt crusty tar past a certain point

Getting too much oil stuck around the edge of the donut and around the floor? I think you just need a better dab tool man

This is a great little tool I just discovered for loading those balls of shatter on the donut. Nice and sharp so the oil does not run, screws into itself for cleanliness during storage. it's made by Titaner. You can find it at most camping/tacticool stores by using Google. Cost is $15 and it's supposedly Gr2 Ti. it's supposed to be a toothpick but we know better lol.

Here it is open:
DEaHXgi.jpg

Closed:
1AgXyfg.jpg

The generic little round blunt dab tool that comes with the V3 is ok for scooping or loading, but doesn't let you touch the crevices of your cup.

When @papapotbelly recommend this tool and I got a few, it helped alot in reaching the oil that fell into the side of the cup. With a fresh reload after only 1 or 2 hits, I find that oil to be pretty fresh and vapeable, so I use this skinny pick to scoop that side oil and put it back on top of the donut! More hits!

Oil will fall to the side again inevitably, repeat to pick and scoop to vape up all the oil. Step the temps up a little bit (10-30F?) to finish your load. Before the vape and oil starts getting too crusty and gross is a good time for a heated-napkin swab (I go at least 80-100F lower than vaping temp to soak up reclaim for cleaning) and then you can have an almost-clean-as-new donut and cup ready for a tasty reload. Maybe 4-12 hits per load depending on how you manage all the factors?

And yes, this titanium pick can be expensive and frivolous, but a simple sewing needle, dental pick, safety pin, or even a lowly toothpick can serve this purpose!

Don't leave all that oil on the floor! You can't always get to it with just a tilt....

Also cody, which donut are you using, and what settings on the mod?

I've found that the smaller 10mm donuts for the V3 are alot more efficient for smaller loads, they warm up quicker, and most importantly for me, that oil that falls to the side, is much more accessible for the re-scoop method than the larger 13mm donuts with the recessed ridge between the cup and body. Alot more oil seems to fall into the seam and under the cup for the large donuts, and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds, but most people seem to prefer the large donuts it seems? I do better with the 10mm donuts

hope this helps! hope you don't give up on it. :tup:

I have used the V2 concentrate atomizer for a while, and recently got a v3 + hydro-tube. I guess I have a different opinion than everyone else here - but the v2 is better for me. I think the v2 is pretty much perfect. It is cheap and disposable and lasts months at a time for 10 bucks. The V3 is about half as efficient for me, and it seems to get residual buildup a lot faster. They are both good, but the V2 is a special combination of donut size, hit-size, and efficiency that the v3 doesn't have imo. With that said, the V3 definitely can make bigger hits.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a top for the V2 so that I can use the hydrotube with it? thx

As much as many of us love our V3s, the V2.5 is still a perfectly viable option, and possibly more effective and hassle-free for smaller loads. It's only downside is non-rebuildability, really. I've tried giving V3s to some of my friends who already were using v2.5s, and they've echoed yours and cody's complaints regarding waste and effectiveness. I tell them about scooping up the reclaim and how to clean their donuts, but they're like "pffft, I'm not gonna do all that stuff. I just want to load it and press the button." Fair enough. The v2.5 is still a great option for them.

You should look up Steven's method for the PPWT using the 2.5 cap with a silicon band, or look into my method of hooking up the v2.5 base to a glass elbow using a strip of 1/2" silicon tubing (way back in this thread)

Last and most important question is not really a DT question, but I asked in another thread and no one answered. You guys are the smarts group anyhow, so I figured I would just ask you guys. Original Question with Pictures of Cartridge Here

My wife keeps wanting me to try the C02 oils and got me another expensive (EvoLab) gram of oil. I have old (EvoLab)cartridges that are reusable, but I don't really know how to clean them and test them before I put this expensive refill in them. I don't know if I have the little batter either.

1. How should I clean cartridge before refilling?
2. How to test Cartridge before returning cartridge back to service?
3. What settings on my box mod should I be using for this little cartridge?

Thanks guys, Cody

Cody, let me point you to another thread. Me and Steven just recently discovered a new tank with a ceramic atomizer that is multiple levels above and beyond the type of little tanks you're asking about here. No it's not the DT / vape donkey tank yet, that will be a while in coming. :\

Was using my new v2 last night with herb.

I am impressed. Dont usually like conduction but this thing is good. The vapor is on pa with a davinci IQ if not better. However it dont cost $275 only $20. Bargin. Everyone should get one.

I think that's impressive that we have 2 people now saying it matches the davinci IQ at < one tenth the cost. I was thinking about getting that vape a while ago too. :D

DC gen2 v2 dry herb whatever you call it, it's not my daily driver for flowers, but it punches well above it's weight.

If anyone of you wants to visit Humboldt Califorina and see some of the tallest trees in the world that are right next to the ocean, please hit me up. We will do dabs with the best concentrates and I will be happy to show you around. Have a great week !!!

This is not a hypothetical offer! Matt is the real deal! :nod:

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Yes, keep in mind that all I say is about the Project, BULLI and custom convection RDA's.

Yes, I know that now, but I was reading your posts in this thread for a long time before I realized you don't even vape concentrates! :o :lol: (or dab at least) Regardless, I'm sure your comments are appreciated by the more TC-nerd-ish followers of this thread, at least. I'll have to credit you (or was it pipes? or OF?) who first brought myevic and AF to our attention in this thread

I don't own any DT atty and I hang in there just for the mod talk (and also because it's a fun thread!)

I know right, DT thread is poppin today! :D I still need to get back to everyone over at the tubo thread... that's a madhouse :o And about you not having any DT attys...you can change that :brow: (but no concentrates for you? :( :shrug:)

@OFI agree that in your use case it's more risky because you can't judge the settings by looking at the coil glow.

Yes, but in our case, we have the adjustable emissivity infrared thermometer, at least. By the nature of your atty's shape and structure, and the limited way that these cheap tools can take a measurement, they aren't of much use for a convection atomizer like project or bulli. But the broad, flat open surface of our V3 donuts allow for meaningful measurements. Too bad the v2.5's donut and cup / tunnel are too small and narrow to match up against the light intake hole in the front of my IR gun...you end up measuring more ceramic body and housing rather than donut :\

If i have more time, ill try to get deeper into 2 sub topics that i think are key to optimum, reliable DT v3 TC performance: transient atomizer shorts and the stability & accuracy of live/locked in resistance readings at rest (it could get ugly:sherlock:)

Last edited:

codyppc

@OF,
The only reason I even care is because many other people will automatically defer to your recommendation and be reluctant to explore around and try different settings and techniques (as you also encourage them to do) so I feel that alot of newbs can be let down if they just blindly follow :(

LOL. I was going to change settings as he said while I was reading. NOOB here who just wants a good running DTv3.

Hey Cody, nice to see another diligent vaper taking up DT donuts! I saw you had alot of good questions earlier as you were getting started, it's great to have so many guys willing to offer good help and answers, I was agreeing with alot of the assistance you got. This is one concern of yours that I think has gone unresolved:

the reclaim

Some of the suggestions are good: a hydratube or bubbler to help you take bigger hits to finish smaller loads in one or 2 puffs and have less reclaim

loading smaller amounts possibly, and make sure it's only on the donut, not in the center hole or the sides

increasing temps, but only up to a certain degree; too hot does just make it too harsh and transforms sticky oil reclaim into burnt crusty tar past a certain point

Getting too much oil stuck around the edge of the donut and around the floor? I think you just need a better dab tool man

The generic little round blunt dab tool that comes with the V3 is ok for scooping or loading, but doesn't let you touch the crevices of your cup.

When @papapotbelly recommend this tool and I got a few, it helped alot in reaching the oil that fell into the side of the cup. With a fresh reload after only 1 or 2 hits, I find that oil to be pretty fresh and vapeable, so I use this skinny pick to scoop that side oil and put it back on top of the donut! More hits!

Oil will fall to the side again inevitably, repeat to pick and scoop to vape up all the oil. Step the temps up a little bit (10-30F?) to finish your load. Before the vape and oil starts getting too crusty and gross is a good time for a heated-napkin swab (I go at least 80-100F lower than vaping temp to soak up reclaim for cleaning) and then you can have an almost-clean-as-new donut and cup ready for a tasty reload. Maybe 4-12 hits per load depending on how you manage all the factors?

And yes, this titanium pick can be expensive and frivolous, but a simple sewing needle, dental pick, safety pin, or even a lowly toothpick can serve this purpose!

Don't leave all that oil on the floor! You can't always get to it with just a tilt....

Also cody, which donut are you using, and what settings on the mod?

I've found that the smaller 10mm donuts for the V3 are alot more efficient for smaller loads, they warm up quicker, and most importantly for me, that oil that falls to the side, is much more accessible for the re-scoop method than the larger 13mm donuts with the recessed ridge between the cup and body. Alot more oil seems to fall into the seam and under the cup for the large donuts, and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds, but most people seem to prefer the large donuts it seems? I do better with the 10mm donuts

hope this helps! hope you don't give up on it. :tup:

As much as many of us love our V3s, the V2.5 is still a perfectly viable option, and possibly more effective and hassle-free for smaller loads. It's only downside is non-rebuildability, really. I've tried giving V3s to some of my friends who already were using v2.5s, and they've echoed yours and cody's complaints regarding waste and effectiveness. I tell them about scooping up the reclaim and how to clean their donuts, but they're like "pffft, I'm not gonna do all that stuff. I just want to load it and press the button." Fair enough. The v2.5 is still a great option for them.

You should look up Steven's method for the PPWT using the 2.5 cap with a silicon band, or look into my method of hooking up the v2.5 base to a glass elbow using a strip of 1/2" silicon tubing (way back in this thread)

Cody, let me point you to another thread. Me and Steven just recently discovered a new tank with a ceramic atomizer that is multiple levels above and beyond the type of little tanks you're asking about here. No it's not the DT / vape donkey tank yet, that will be a while in coming. :\

I think that's impressive that we have 2 people now saying it matches the davinci IQ at < one tenth the cost. I was thinking about getting that vape a while ago too. :D

DC gen2 v2 dry herb whatever you call it, it's not my daily driver for flowers, but it punches well above it's weight.

This is not a hypothetical offer! Matt is the real deal! :nod:

Now this is the reply I've been waiting for. Thank you Very much. I am going to comment / question in the same order you posted...

I still don't understand the hydrate / bubbler thing. How is it going to help me take bigger hits? I can take a pretty big hit right now without any help. I am now even more confused. You said I would also have less reclaim. To me, a 2mm BB sized load should have the same amount of unspent material regardless of how many and how big those hits were. are you trying to say that each time the load cools back down, it doesn't reheat and hit the same one the second hit? hmmm

Watching some of the early video (even Matts) should some pretty big loads. I think i was doing that in the beginning. Melting good product in with the bad. I've been using smaller loads the past week trying to keep the reclaim down. I was trying to turn the heat up a little toward the end of each reload to eliminate this "melt good product into the bad" by cooking it all up, regardless of how bad it started tasting. this is when i first started getting the think stick reclaim.

To me it seems that when I load, get 1 hit. Then a few nasty hit that evenly get so bad that i need to tear it down and clean. Its really hard to figure out where i'm suppose to leave reclaim and when i'm not. I always taste like crap and it always produces a cloud. something makes me think, when it quits hitting it when you reload.

I saw that tool a while back. very nice. I actually have been using a harbor freight version for a few weeks. its actually an exacto knife, with a point, and a hollow handle. I was using it before i saw the post here, but had no idea it could be hollow. it worked and i've been happy. I was using a one of two small jewelers flat head screw drivers. i would tilt, let cool, scoop back on donut, one and over again like a crack fiend. i started just saving it in a empty was container. figured i would figure something out later to do with it.

I can't believe you get 4-12 hits per load. thats a 2mm BB size load. I can get 12 clouds, but from the taste of it after the 3rd or 4th, i can't believe many would want to taste another 8 more hits of that. Maybe thats where the bubbler comes into play. filtration for taste. hmmm

i have been using the 13mm because i found posts like this that said the 10mm was too wasteful. hmm, I cleaned my 10mm back up and going to give in another good go at it tomorrow.

i was making a spread sheet of all you guys posts on what settings you guys were using. I really liked the idea of TCR, but when i could find enough of you agreeing with settings, and had Matt telling me he just used TC Ni, i figured Matt was the man. I flashed stock firmware back on Pico and have been using Matts TC Ni 33w 350

This guy also said basically 3 hits per 2mm load. 1 or 2 good, and 1 bad.

I'm going to re flash AF and go the TCR route as soon as I find some good TCR setting for 10mm. All my spread sheet has on it is 13mm. I didn't think i would be using the 10. LOL

What did you mean by "and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds"? I could see how a bigger load would give bigger hit (Bigger cloud), but are you saying that regardless of the load size, hits get bigger all by them selfs?

Thanks again for helping the Noob.

Cody

I also use the DTv3 without the 3 screws. Weird, but it sure helps me reload and get oil back on donut. starting to wonder if i'm getting too much air though now. I do have some good lungs still.

Last edited:

codyppc

Here are a few pics of what I'm doing. In the pic is the 13 mm, not too full, no crusties on the donut. My tool is in there too.

Ok, I've spent the last few days, starting off with a clean 10 mm setup, and have had better luck this time around.

I was running the 13 mm in TC Ni mode via Matt. 33w @ 350 degrees. I couldn't find enough people who agreed on the same TCR value for the 13 mm, so I stayed away from TCR then. Funny how so many people think there TCR value is more accurate. Matt was the man, so I figured he's know for sure.

Been running the 10 mm with a TCR of 195 (in the middle of Vape Donkey 650s 190-200). I found 330 +/- 10 worked pretty good. I load everything ON THE DONUT and keep it off the sides and out from the center. One long hit and the donut is about 70% empty. This one long (15s) hit is a tasty / awesome hit. I hit it 2nd time a minute later and get semi nasty hit, but a cloud and hit a nonetheless. I usually load 1, take two hits. Load 2nd one, take two hits. Load 3rd one, take two hits and now I start to see a little crap on the floor. I tilt is a little, hit the button a little to heat it up and get it flowing to the side. I then blow on it, cooling it a little, so that I can use my tool to get a dab off the floor and back on the donut. (Pick up here later)

This is where is last like crap for sure. Remember, this is the left overs from 3 small loads, after only 6 x 15s hits (puff time set). The loads are close to 2 mm in size before I start melting it on the donut. With the 10 mm, I'm having a little more left over on the dab tool, because the donut will only hold so much and I don't want it falling off. With the 13 mm, I would have about 60% of the donut still wet after that 1st hit, unlike the 10mm's 30% still wet. I just figured this was because I inhale the same each time, using the same amount of medicine, the only difference was the size of applicator. Anyhow, I'm not getting as much "Un Spent Material" now like I was few weeks ago. I don't know how much of it is donut related though. I think its just me not knowing what i'm doing.

I'm still confused on a few things that I maybe able to get figured out with this post.

When smoking weed, I loved the green hits. Tasty medicine was always best in the first hit. If there were 6 hits in that bowl, the first 2 would be good medicated hits. Hits 3-4 are tasting like crap, but still plenty of THC. The 5th and 6th hits tasted like crap, but we smoked it all. We smoked it until it wouldn't smoke no more, literally. The last 1/3 is where i'm having my problem.

Even though I may have dumped that 6th hit, I didn't let anyone see. I didn't want to get busted for drug abuse, so I learned to never waste the medicine. I would dump it quietly, so I could get a Green Hit hit instead. No one I grew up with had any weed, so it was mine I was wasting anyway. Lol.

Now with the consentrates. It seams as if that theory is not always true. With Co2 oil in those little cartridges, it get nastier in the end, but everything is used up, nothing wasted. With the torch and nail, everything is used up, I do believe, but that is combustion too I think. With the low temperature vapes, you get the "Un Spent Material". This "Un Spent Material" needs to be removed.

If this "Un Spent Material" was like the ash in the bowl, I wouldn't be posting right now. I would hit it until it didn't give me any smoke at all. I keep thinking this is how the DTv3 is supposed to work. I keep thinking i'm supposed to paint that donut once (Load that bowl) and hit it tie it hits no more (smoke it til its nothing but ashes). I am having to take many (5-7) crappy hits after the 3rd load basically just to feel as if i'm not wasting medicine. This is where we pick back up from earlier. Hear me out, if 3 loads, got me 3 good hits, 3 semi decent hits, but then took 5-7 more hits before I could clean it all up and not be wasting anything, I'm taking a more crapy nasty hits than I was with a bowl.

Back in the day, I had a lot of weed. Now I live in a not so happy state, and work hard for my money. I wouldn't be dumping out the last hit in the bowl right now, unless it was for heath concerns. Lol, health concerns were not on the list back in the day.

Last, but not least, some really crazy questions. Does it matter if I take the same size load it one 15 second hit, or 1 - 10 second and 1 - 5 second hit? I like to end session with a taste fresh hit and leave the crappy hits for the beginning of the next. Something is telling me there is more to this temperature thing than just cooking oil. Could I be getting too much "Un Spent Material" because i'm running too cold? I noticed in Matts cleaning video, his donut had a bunch of crusties burnt on to his donut. I only had that one time when I had first load on 10 mm with tcr190 @ 350 degrees. I got good hit, but it tasted burnt. I instantly cleaned it off using matts cleaning to start all over. I otherwise, never get burnt on crusties.

Thanks guys, Cody

PS: i put all that saved oily reclaim from few weeks ago into something i saved from the refillable CO2 oil.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Pens are just wasteful compared to proper dab rigs (which can even be wasteful themselves if you've ever seen a caked up rig with 1/4 oz of wax trapped in the downstem and perc lol.)

That said, they are still unbeatable for discretion, and the V3 is at the top of the pack for sure. Keep messing with temperature until you find the perfect balance of vaporizing more of the load without baking on crusty carbon deposits.

The upcoming DT atomizer will surely be more efficient as it will include a sealed heated cup, so there is nowhere for the concentrate to run from. This should provide bigger and more thorough hits with less waste!

codyppc

... vaporizing load without baking on crusty carbon deposits.

I think you worded just what I am starting to figure out... high temp, but not high enough I’m cooking it onto the donut.

I have often though, does the material fall off donut very easy? I don’t feel as if I paint on too much when loading. I keep thinking if I do this right, I don’t even need the cup. Right?

The upcoming DT atomizer will surely be more efficient as it will include a sealed heated cup, so there is nowhere for the concentrate to run from. This should provide bigger and more thorough hits with less waste!

I just ordered some v3 13mm coils and was hoping Matt would throw in a pre release early hook up, but I guess I’ll just have to wait in line. I am very excited.

This gives me time to learn all this on what I got. No need to throw something different in the mix right now.

I just wish this glass thing wasn’t so expensive. Is there anyone in Kansas City Missouri who can let me sample their glass on the dtv3? Lol, that would be the best.

Thanks for the help everyone, Cody

codyppc,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I think you worded just what I am starting to figure out... high temp, but not high enough I’m cooking it onto the donut.

I have often though, does the material fall off donut very easy? I don’t feel as if I paint on too much when loading. I keep thinking if I do this right, I don’t even need the cup. Right?

I just ordered some v3 13mm coils and was hoping Matt would throw in a pre release early hook up, but I guess I’ll just have to wait in line. I am very excited.

This gives me time to learn all this on what I got. No need to throw something different in the mix right now.

I just wish this glass thing wasn’t so expensive. Is there anyone in Kansas City Missouri who can let me sample their glass on the dtv3? Lol, that would be the best.

Thanks for the help everyone, Cody

I like your attitude! Though honestly, even the most diligent loading will probably not be as efficient as the cup as there's just nowhere for the oil to go but vaporize. IMO with the v3 it's preferable to heat the donut as quickly as possible so the concentrate can just vaporize before it has a chance to run.

I'm not sure that Matt even has a prototype himself of the upcoming model yet, but that would be an epic surprise to find in your order no doubt!

Vape Donkey 650

Hey cody, alot more good questions and points, let me see if I can help you out one more time...this may get long...:(

I still don't understand the hydrate / bubbler thing. How is it going to help me take bigger hits? I can take a pretty big hit right now without any help. I am now even more confused.

It helps me take bigger hits because the vapor is cooled by the water bubbles and longer vapor path. The fact that I have allergies and sinus disease guides alot of the ways that I vape and use DT donuts. I can take pretty big vapor clouds no problem if they are cooled down enough and are made with sub-combustion temperatures, so it only consists of the original contents of my oils, not toxins and broken-down compounds generated by subjecting the oil to excess heat. Plain, dry hits with just the mouthpiece, I can still enjoy that, but only much shorter duration hits, like 6-8 seconds. 95% of the time I'm using my DT donuts with water, only at lunch breaks do I use it without, because I can't lug a hydratube to work :D

If your airways are in much better health than me and you can already get pretty big hits (without combusting) already without a hydratube, that's great. But if you connect a nice bubbler to your donut, you might be surprised just how much even a bigger cloud you can make! You might need more than the 10-second protection that is stock, which is another thing arcticfox is good for so you don't have to button cycle. I take max 15 second puffs on my dab rigs.

You said I would also have less reclaim. To me, a 2mm BB sized load should have the same amount of unspent material regardless of how many and how big those hits were. are you trying to say that each time the load cools back down, it doesn't reheat and hit the same one the second hit? hmmm

Yes...each time your oil load is heated, vaped, and cools down: to whatever oil remains, it is subjected to a process of continual degradation and depletion making each subsequent hit marginally less pleasant and desirable. So if you can get even a bigger, cool puff with water, you can finish maybe in 2 or 3 hits what normally would take 5 or 6? So you can finish up more of your load with less "reclaim hits" that will be smoother and tastier.

With hydratube dabs vs dry hits with the mouthpiece, I feel very little flavor is lost. I feel more flavor is lost from flower vapor through water. It's well worth the trade-off IMO.

Watching some of the early video (even Matts) should some pretty big loads. I think i was doing that in the beginning. Melting good product in with the bad. I've been using smaller loads the past week trying to keep the reclaim down. I was trying to turn the heat up a little toward the end of each reload to eliminate this "melt good product into the bad" by cooking it all up, regardless of how bad it started tasting. this is when i first started getting the think stick reclaim.

To me it seems that when I load, get 1 hit. Then a few nasty hit that evenly get so bad that i need to tear it down and clean. Its really hard to figure out where i'm suppose to leave reclaim and when i'm not. I always taste like crap and it always produces a cloud. something makes me think, when it quits hitting it when you reload.

To be clear, regarding the results I get, I usually load 2 bb's, or blobs, or shards of shatter on my donut, not just 1. One bb on either side of the donut, on top of the air-flow hole, not on top of the wire lead hole, to reduce the chances of oil leakage onto the wires. (You can orient the Ω and V3 logos on the ceramic base with to match positions with the air flow hole or wire lead side of the donut cup to remind you what part you're loading onto, the hot or cold spot of the donut) This is one reason I get plenty of hits per load. I like not having to reload as frequently, and I don't mind scooping up the cup reclaim back on top of the donut, and I guess I'm more of a reclaim lover than most donut vapers. Or at least not a reclaim hater. :shrug:

Where to draw the line between still milking puffs of that not-so-tasty reclaim and then cleaning or reloading is up to the user.

Reloading fresh oil over reclaim is something I try to avoid and is not my general practice. It's good to clean that reclaim off before fresh reloads, but you don't have to do a full breakdown, alcohol soak and burn-off to get it serviceable after just a few loads.

Have you tried the heated napkin swab trick? Get a small piece of a napkin / paper towel (preferably non-linty or fuzzy kind) and roll it into a little cylinder, and rub it against your donut while you hold it upside down and fire the button in temp control mode. It's good to lower the temp some amount than your vaping temp to not over-cook the crust and oil as you clean it (no airflow). From a donut that was just clean when it was loaded, you should be able to get the donut and sides of the body pretty white after it's sticky with reclaim doing this. You might even find 1 or 2 more decent reclaim hits after this without even reloading (even though the donut looks white again) from cup oil melting and moving to the underside of the donut while you fired it while swabbing it upside down.

I can do this cycle like 20-30x with my cleanest concentrates before the baked in deposits start to bother me and I want to fully clean it. Maybe 10x for my cheaper mid-grade waxes.

You can also do this with a q-tip, but I don't use those for the extra lint or fibers that will fall off. A while back, @OF offered the hint to use cotton swabs meant for cleaning gun barrels, because they are more tightly wound and won't leave fibers behind.

Haven't tried that yet, but I'll gladly accept a few tiny napkin fibers left behind on occasion instead of a cup full of dark reclaim crust. Much easier than scraping or removing with a tool. Quicker than a full breakdown. And you don't have to "burn" the meager fiber specks by vaping in TC modes. You can also follow up with a alcohol wipe pad after the hot napkin swab if you're really feeling sanitary yet somewhat lazy still. :cool:

I saw that tool a while back. very nice. I actually have been using a harbor freight version for a few weeks. its actually an exacto knife, with a point, and a hollow handle. I was using it before i saw the post here, but had no idea it could be hollow. it worked and i've been happy. I was using a one of two small jewelers flat head screw drivers. i would tilt, let cool, scoop back on donut, one and over again like a crack fiend. i started just saving it in a empty was container. figured i would figure something out later to do with it.

I can't believe you get 4-12 hits per load. thats a 2mm BB size load. I can get 12 clouds, but from the taste of it after the 3rd or 4th, i can't believe many would want to taste another 8 more hits of that. Maybe thats where the bubbler comes into play. filtration for taste. hmmm

Ok cool, you do have some good dab tools. You didn't mention it earlier so I didn't know if you were just leaving that (good? so-so?) reclaim oil under the cup and being sad about it, or scooping it, and you're scooping! :tup: I scrape up oil like a mofo, and I probably look like a fiend when I do it, but that partially melted side-cup oil, after only 2 puffs, sometimes it's barely melted and light colored still! I want to inhale it! :p :nod:

I was collecting the dark, gooey reclaim that I no longer wanted on my donut in a little silicon jar for a long time too..before I started the napkin reclaim method more recently. I don't mind throwing away a few measly mg's of gross oil in little napkin bits. I have grams of reclaim collected and don't know what to do with it haha :D

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

i have been using the 13mm because i found posts like this that said the 10mm was too wasteful. hmm, I cleaned my 10mm back up and going to give in another good go at it tomorrow.

@Danksta 's post that you referenced from November last year is not relevant to your medium donuts and cups that you have today and bought just a few weeks ago in 2017. He was writing about some experimental raised-air-flow hole medium donut cups that Matt tried out. The idea was to eliminate or reduce leakage into the air holes by raising them higher from the floor so they don't flood out from reclaim oil in the cup. But the wire holes could still leak out. If you end up flooding out the cup of your donut with enough oil to make it leak, that probably indicates you are over-loading it or not hitting it properly. Worst, the raised air holes also raised the donut higher up from the bottom of the cup, heating that cup reclaim even less, vaping less of it, letting more of it collect, and flooding the cup more, making it leak more! A negative feedback loop! :o Good thing those raised-medium cups are long gone, I hope the few people unfortunate to try those had a chance to try the regular medium cups and it didn't give them an unfair impression of the 10mm donuts. :2c:

But the failed medium cups points to an important tangential lesson:
you do want your 10mm donut to sit as low and flat and even to the bottom of the cup as possible.

It seems it's easier to make the 13mm donuts and cups lie super flat and level, right out of the plastic, don't have to do anything. but the 10mms usually need some tweaking.

You should be able to install the 10mm donut and cup into the wire terminals without the wire leads bottoming-out and touching the floor of the terminals, thereby pushing the 10mm donut up higher from the cup floor. I hold my finger down lightly on the donut in the cup as I press the cup/wires into the post to feel if it bottoms out and pushes the donut up. I usually find I have to trim 2-3mm from the wires to make them sit flush in the posts and allowing the donut to sit low and flush to the cup as possible at the same time.

With your 10mm donut sitting as low as possible in the cup, installed, the backside of the donut can be touching (or nearly)those 4 little cylinder posts that hold up the donut in the cup, and not be blocking or contacting the air holes, leaving just a minimal gap to allow lots of air flow! Ensure that your donut is not sitting crooked in the cup. You may have to adjust the copper 510 pin on the bottom of the metal base by screwing it in or out with a flat-head. This adjusts the height of the copper terminal, so you can make sure both terminals are at the same height and are level, so you can mount a level cup and donut on top of it.

All of this 10mm donut / cup fine-tuning will allow you the lowest, flattest donut (on par with the 13mm) which will help you vape more of that floor reclaim for the least "wastefulness". I find most 10mm donut / cups, un-modified, will not allow for a low installation. And this does lead to extra reclaim pooling in the cup, which is perhaps why alot of non-tinkering-inclined DT donut vapers may dislike the 10mm donut...just my theory :sherlock:

i was making a spread sheet of all you guys posts on what settings you guys were using. I really liked the idea of TCR, but when i could find enough of you agreeing with settings, and had Matt telling me he just used TC Ni, i figured Matt was the man. I flashed stock firmware back on Pico and have been using Matts TC Ni 33w 350

This guy also said basically 3 hits per 2mm load. 1 or 2 good, and 1 bad.

I'm going to re flash AF and go the TCR route as soon as I find some good TCR setting for 10mm. All my spread sheet has on it is 13mm. I didn't think i would be using the 10. LOL

Well, Matt is the man, he designed and made these atomizers for us, but he doesn't really mess around with TCR modes that much on the V3 donuts (with the DC he does)

Vaping on pre-set TC-Ni mode "works" and it allows you to get decent results and avoid burning, but besides the temps on the screen being about 100F or more lower than actual donut temps on TC-Ni, which may or may not matter to you, there is one more great reason to use an accurate TCR and also the newest release of arcticfox to fine tune your donut experience:

precise, accurate temperature stepping

TC-Ni is a TCR of 600, which is way higher than any donut's real TCR. This means that when you increase by 10F in TC-Ni mode, you're really increasing the donut temp by 20 or 30F or so! :o Not so good for finding the ideal temp where reclaim doesn't taste so gross and get crusted or combusted more, but still makes a good cloud out of it and vapes the last drops, right?

On a donut tuned with a TCR that actually matches it, when you go up 10F on the screen, the actual donut temp will go up 10F, more or less, with the normal oscillations and flux during use you would expect with any TC mode. For vaping different types of oily materials, and stepping temps lower at the start and higher at the end, TCR mode allows for a much greater degree of control than preset modes.

And last..the newest versions of arcticfox even allow 1C / 2F temp stepping! No more just 10F! The finer temp adjustments are not just theoretical, they really can match your observed temps and the effects can be noticed. A 2F difference may not be noticed, but a 4F sure is! For me, vapor that is +/ - 10F too much can be the difference between an overly large, hot, harsh vape cloud that is too much for me to take without coughing, or a a wispy, light, tasty cloud that doesn't fully satisfy and vapes too little of your fresh load for the 1st or 2nd hit. So the 2F steps is in AF much appreciated by me. :clap:

What did you mean by "and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds and they seem to require more loads to get big clouds"? I could see how a bigger load would give bigger hit (Bigger cloud), but are you saying that regardless of the load size, hits get bigger all by them selfs?

Thanks again for helping the Noob.

Cody

This part, gets a little confusing, you responding to what I said which was a little vague to begin with. :uhh:

I think what I was trying to say originally, is that with the design of the cup for the large donut, with it's larger diameter and ridge or gap with the main ceramic body, it tends to suck up more oil and reclaim in that gap, and also underneath the donut in the cup, which are the cool spots on the V3 large donut. So you apparently have to load more fresh oil, to "overcome" the "less-than-ideally placed" oil which itself acts as a buffer, blocking the cool spots and directing fresh oil to the hot spots, in order to attain a "virtuous cycle" or reclaim balancing. Naturally, this requires a lot more loads to break it in, with some less-than-satisfying "break-in" load sessions, and possibly bigger loads needed, with sometimes tilting the V3 donut during use to direct the cup reclaim oil towards the hotter vaping spots,and generally operating and vaping your V3 big 13mm donut while holding alot more reclaim in the cup than I prefer. :shrug:

With the 10mm donut, I can load small or medium loads precisely on the donut hot spots, get it to warm up quicker and make big vapor without there needing to be alot of reclaim already around the sides or under it in the cup, and that oil which does fall to the sides and under, I can scoop up back to the hot spots for re-vaping much more easily, without having to remove the outer ceramic body, and then napkin clean it quickly for a fresh reload, not needing to accumulate lots of reclaim along the way.

Others (most others) do better with the 13mm donuts instead. That's ok. I think part of their success that I can't replicate, is in taking long, long duration hits with deep lungs that I can't do. (Steven) Hotter temps that border on or cross over to combustion are to the liking of many people, also, but I can't do that. Tilting the mod during use...

Maybe more 13mm donut tricks I don't know too? Just because I don't prefer the big donuts doesn't mean they aren't any good, just that the 10mm donuts match my needs and habits better. I do think the 10s are under-appreciated by typical donut vapers since they take a little more TLC to really shine :2c:

Last edited:
Vape Donkey 650,
Reactions: codyppc

Vape Donkey 650

Ok, I've spent the last few days, starting off with a clean 10 mm setup, and have had better luck this time around.

I was running the 13 mm in TC Ni mode via Matt. 33w @ 350 degrees. I couldn't find enough people who agreed on the same TCR value for the 13 mm, so I stayed away from TCR then. Funny how so many people think there TCR value is more accurate. Matt was the man, so I figured he's know for sure.

Been running the 10 mm with a TCR of 195 (in the middle of Vape Donkey 650s 190-200). I found 330 +/- 10 worked pretty good. I load everything ON THE DONUT and keep it off the sides and out from the center. One long hit and the donut is about 70% empty. This one long (15s) hit is a tasty / awesome hit. I hit it 2nd time a minute later and get semi nasty hit, but a cloud and hit a nonetheless. I usually load 1, take two hits. Load 2nd one, take two hits. Load 3rd one, take two hits and now I start to see a little crap on the floor. I tilt is a little, hit the button a little to heat it up and get it flowing to the side. I then blow on it, cooling it a little, so that I can use my tool to get a dab off the floor and back on the donut. (Pick up here later)

This is where is last like crap for sure. Remember, this is the left overs from 3 small loads, after only 6 x 15s hits (puff time set). The loads are close to 2 mm in size before I start melting it on the donut. With the 10 mm, I'm having a little more left over on the dab tool, because the donut will only hold so much and I don't want it falling off. With the 13 mm, I would have about 60% of the donut still wet after that 1st hit, unlike the 10mm's 30% still wet. I just figured this was because I inhale the same each time, using the same amount of medicine, the only difference was the size of applicator. Anyhow, I'm not getting as much "Un Spent Material" now like I was few weeks ago. I don't know how much of it is donut related though. I think its just me not knowing what i'm doing.

Cool, good to see you're doing better with your last sessions. :tup:

Regarding whose TCR #s are more accurate than others, in many ways, multiple people can be right! There can be slight variations, between how well our mods measure base Ω or how the user locks it in (this is critical) or how the user measures it with an IR gun, which can itself be tuned or vary by brands.

There very well could be some variation or range of "true" or observed TCRs within batches of the same donuts. I always thought the mediums had a narrow range in the 200-ish, but bizwaxzion sees higher #s, and I haven't bought any 10mm donuts forever because I never break em :D so maybe the newer batches have drifted up a little bit? Biz even tells me he's observed TCRs up to 475 on his latest batches of the big 13mm donuts, so if you care enough to really know what temp you're vaping at rather than just dialing in whatever works, I'd suggest you join us and verify it. You can get an IR thermometer for about 20 bucks or less. It must have adjustable emissivity to accurately measure alumina donuts. (e=0.65 to the best we know) Point this straight at your fresh clean donut while firing and you can get a good reading in seconds and work from there, adjusting TCR up or down till it matches.

This matters because you can expect certain levels of vapor production and flavor and smoothness from conduction vaporizers of a given material at known temperatures rather than just guesstimating.

For concentrates, many people knowingly or not prefer a baseline of around 380-400F with BHOs, because that can create plenty of vapor and preserve the good flavor without coming close to burning it. But you can still get some noticeable clouds lower than that, and you can still pump up the temps above 400 to get a bigger cloud, probably at the cost of flavor, without necessarily burning. Different concentrate types need different starting temps to make the same vapor levels too.

And then with TCR-Ni and stock firmware, you can't as easily dial in that exact perfect temperature for you, and then step it up or down in tiny increments, the way that you can with TCR mode and arcticfox. That makes for the best vape experience with donuts for me.

TC-Ni is like trying to blow up a gopher hole with an artillery gun at maximum range. You might be able to hit that small target (and more) with a shell but you probably can't reliably move that next blast radius only 10 yards to target the next tree over. TCR mode and AF is more like shooting that same gopher hole with a .223 rifle at 50 yards. You can blast just that gopher hole only right in the middle (not necessarily the critter :D) and then also shoot the rock that is 2 inches next to it, on the next shot. Accurate temp scales stepped, metaphors stretched :cool:

Even though I may have dumped that 6th hit, I didn't let anyone see. I didn't want to get busted for drug abuse, so I learned to never waste the medicine. I would dump it quietly, so I could get a Green Hit hit instead. No one I grew up with had any weed, so it was mine I was wasting anyway. Lol.

Haha, i feel you man. I grew up with habits of scarcity, so even though I sit on mounds of flowers and oils these days, it's still my nature to always try to fully utilize my materials, which is part of the reason why I go through the extra efforts to maximize the DT donuts.

Now with the consentrates. It seams as if that theory is not always true. With Co2 oil in those little cartridges, it get nastier in the end, but everything is used up, nothing wasted.

Well, with those high-ohm pre-filled / disposable carts, they are operating at an unregulated (combustible) temperature, which is why they seem to be able to "use" everything up...because it will end up burning what it can't vape, if you can manage to keep it from leaking out the bottom air holes. :p

If you want to get into another vape project for tanks and try to realize DT v3 levels of flavor, performance, and temp control, you may want to read into this thread and read backwards?

With the torch and nail, everything is used up, I do believe, but that is combustion too I think. With the low temperature vapes, you get the "Un Spent Material". This "Un Spent Material" needs to be removed.

Exactly... for more healthy people, they can handle the smokey vape from a hot banger or nail, I can't. You're left with less material left in ash and crust on your banger than in reclaim oil and crust in your V3 at low-temps.

Also, there is a new generation of silicon carbide dab dishes and gear, which are capable of giving you big, tasty dabs at sub-combustion temps, and being able to finish up your possible leftover melted puddle that you can't finish from the 1st hit in a second or 3rd capped-off hit that isn't all burned and nasty, due to the properties of the SiC material!

I haven't tried this gear yet, but I would love to try! It costs quite a bit more, and requires the big torch or the wall plug and cord for the e-nail coil, so it's not as portable, but many people swear by SiC now it seems! :hmm: Sounds great, but I'm putting my hopes into Matt's new quartz and ceramic crucible vapes so I can keep on picking up my vape boxes + dab rigs and walk around with them during use if i want to :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom