Disfunctional Silver Surfer Help

vtguy429

I just purchased a new SSV from my local headshop, brought it home and let it run on high for 10 minutes as I have read to do. Then I turned it between 1-2 oclock and went to take a hit and nothing happened, at all. The same is the case even on its highest power, nothing comes through, no vapor no smoke no nothing. The strange thing is that is actually producing heat but I can't tell how much. If anyone has any experience in this field that would be great. I have read nothing but good things about the SSV and DBV and would like to be able to enjoy mine to its fullest potential.

Thanks for your time and consideration, Vtguy429

vtguy429,

vtguy429

Yes it is, and I can feel the heat coming off it as well, but it does nothing to the herb or to make vapor. But I smoked the stuff I tried to vape and it tasted wayyyyy worse then it should have. And for the record I am using high quality herb and varied the amounts that were packed according to recommendations I have read. I have tried what little bit of trial and error I can think of so some outside assistance would be greatly appreciated.

vtguy429,

tuttle

Hmm, I would suggest slowing your draws way down, try to make the draw last 10-20 seconds (which is a long time when you count it out). The slower the draw the hotter the air passing over the bowl. You should see and taste a difference after a few draws. If not that something is wrong.

tuttle,

vtguy429

Yeah, I am kind of new to vapes but somewhat knew to do that, and to no effect. It has a mild taste when I hit it, and like I said the herb afterwards tasted completely different, but no vapor seems to come and the color of the bud remains constant. It feels rather warm above the ceramic heater so I think its working but I feel like I am doing something wrong because I don't know of too many more variables to this equation. Perhaps its not making enough heat? Either way thank you tuttle for responding and anyone else who could help would be wonderful as I would like to take this thing back within 24 hours of my 13 hour ago purchase so please, anyone else with any knowledge on the subject, speak up!

vtguy429,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I assume you've watched a video and are using the wand/whip correctly. I'm wondering if your unit has an issue. I recently got my SSV and had no troubles getting vapor first time out of the gate.

My personal troubleshooting checklist would be:
Be sure I'm using correctly/watch videos, etc.
Turning unit up to higher heat and see if the element and glass heat up well.
I'd be tempted to try another outlet in case there was an issue with that but....doubtful

If after troubleshooting, turning the heat up higher and letting it sit for awhile - if I still wasn't able to get enough heat for vapor I think I'd be heading back to the store.

I'm sorry and I hope you get this sorted out as the SSV literally made me choke for the first time in a long while. MASSIVE hits!

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Lo,

Beezleb

Something seems definitely wrong. If your doing it correctly and not getting vapor. I would take it back quick as it seems like a defective unit.

Beezleb,

vtguy429

Alright, I have already tried everything you said lo so looks like I gotta make a trip back to the store. I watched the videos, have used a whip vape before successfully, and tried different outlets, oh well, better luck from their website hopefully. Anymore input would still be appreciated if theres something that will save me some hassle though. Thanks lo and beezlab.

vtguy429,

max

Out to lunch
vtguy429 said:
Perhaps its not making enough heat?
That sounds like the problem, but if you can turn it up and get your element to glow.... :huh:

Don't happen to have a meat thermometer, do you? That would tell you if the heater is getting up to vaping temp.

max,

Lo

It sounds like your unit may be the issue :( bummer!! I'd take it back and maybe they have another to exchange. Sorry! I'm bummed for you.

Lo,

Beezleb

If I recall correct I remember seeing a post by someone where they had similar issues where it would turn on but just not get hot enough. In that case I believe 7th floor offered to send the piece to fix it or they could send it in to be fixed. All depending on the owners preference.

Beezleb,

vtguy429

Alright, thanks for the help everyone I guess I will be taking it back, I believe it was their last unit so I guess I'll just get my money back and purchase one from online.. I hope they don't make my return difficult... Anyways, lo, beez, and max for all the input, I'm glad to have gotten helpful feedback from knowledgeable users.

vtguy429,

Beezleb

I feel for you. It would have broke my heart if my first vape was dead on arrival. At least you can take it back and then start fresh again.

check out the recommended retailer thread, I do not recall off hand exactly who offers what but there are several very good quality vendors that offer a discount to FC members. I have used a few myself :)

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
try turning your unit up to 3 o'clock first. I had a similar problem with my E when I first started vaping. I think vapor newbies, like myself two years ago, can have a hard time knowing what to expect. The higher temp will be more like the smoke you are used to. For me, I had to learn to vape hot and then learn to vape cool later.

If the element is glowing orange and you are getting nothing then it is most likely user error.

stickstones,

vtguy429

Perhaps you misread sticks. I have turned my unit ALL the way with NO result, not even smoke. There is a combustion point on these babies right? Well even on the highest setting, after having been heating up for 30 minutes, it does nothing to the herb. Now my experience with vaporizers is limited but how much more is to it then getting it warmed up and holding the wand to the heater? How hot is it supposed to be to the touch or if your hand is hovering the heating element?

vtguy429,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I missed that detail!

When I started with my E, I was neither turning it up hot enough nor drawing properly.

If it is glowing a bright orange then it should be hot enough.

If it is defective then it just won't get hot enough. If you have a limited timeframe to return it then I would take advantage of that. If you have the same problems with a second one then it would most likely be user error. It's just hard to determine if you dont' have someone who knows what they are doing (and this may not be the case with your head shop) watching.

My smoker friend who comes over to use the ssv was getting light vapor at first when he ws sucking on it like a bong. Once he slowed down his draw he loved it.

stickstones,

vtguy429

I took it back to the headshop within 15 hours of purchase as I was unfamiliar with their return policy. They actually don't really have one except for the off chance that there is a serious product malfunction, such as not working, lol. The guy fired it up and threw some nasty legal shit in there and had it all the way up, still to no effect so he said to come back in friday and the manager will have another one sent in from another store since I bought that stores last one. Thanks everyone for your help and I will keep y'all up to date on my current SSV situation.

vtguy429,

Lo

I'm glad to hear they are taking care of things for you and I look forward to seeing what you think once you have tried the non-dysfunctional SSV :D

Lo,

Xero

Yea vaping is a process. When I first got my SSV I was having buyers remorse really bad. Then after playing with it for 10-15 I got high as a kite and freakin never looked back.

When I first got my SSV I stuck a digital meat thermometer in by the heating element. If I recall correctly it was in the low 200s F. Not sure if this will help you in the future.

Long story short. SSV is a solid product. American made does the trick.

Xero,

toxicc

E11001420
If your herb is humid it can takes a few pulls to evaporate the water first, then you'll start to get something.

toxicc,

vtguy429

So turns out my unit wasn't dysfunctional, the white thing that gets hot was below the hole on the glass, the one below where you hold the wand to. The guy at the store pulled off the glass part and pulled up the heater so it would be above the hole and now it works.. Quite amazingly I must say.. This is definitely an amazing piece I can get bigger hits on this than any other vaporizer I have ever hit. Its a must have for me as an every day smoker I often find myself hacking up mucus shortly after I wake up..

vtguy429,

Lo

Oh so glad to hear they found the trouble and got you going there Vtguy. Yes, the SSV is quite a heavy hitter. Hopefully if you convert to vapor you'll find yourself hacking less soon enough!! Good luck!

If you're a cig smoker and vaping the herbs has you hooked, check out a good e-cig to get you off the cigs. They helped me quit my 25+ yr habit.... Fuck Combustion is a great motto :D

Lo,
Top Bottom