Discovered oil/wax/shatter - now what is the best way to get it in me?

herbivore21

I have been vaping various concentrates through my E-Nano using SS wool. However, I find large amounts of my concentrates run down the GonG without much encouragement. I am about to receive my Persei (with Hercules SR74/Ti GR2 KISS carts/Bender/Hammer).

I am interested in exploring a nail/skillet/whatever setup anyone might suggest to use with the hammer. I would rather not use a torch as I simply get too vaked to trust myself judging how long a translucent flame is. I am very, very interested in reclaimers too. I would love to have a handy container to collect my concentrates in whilst vaping :)

Thanks in advance for all the recommendations!

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Hammer dabs...mmm.mmm.good. I use a quartz nail and dome, or a vapor curve/swing, such as:

upraKUN.jpg

The thing I like about this system (using the Hammer top/rod) is its efficiency. Instead of torching the whole ti pad, just the dab gets vaporized. I'd recommend small-sized dabs, because cleaning the rod isn't all that easy. It might be good to get a 2nd hammer setup, to have one dedicated for the Bender and the other for dabs. Also the Hercules is a good system, that has a reclaim reservoir in the lower chamber. Some people like loading as they go with KISS carts. It sound like you have the bases covered. Enjoy!

Last edited:
syrupy,

herbivore21

I am drooling over this setup whilst alternating between a GonG full of shatter and a GonG full of QWISO from high grade kief...

Hey this might sound like a silly request, but could I see a video of one of the above setups being used with the hammer top? :)

Cheers

herbivore21,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Hey this might sound like a silly request, but could I see a video of one of the above setups being used with the hammer top? :)

Cheers

I don't know of any videos of dabbing with the hammer top. But imagine a regular dab being heating up the nail or skillet with a torch, and then applying a dab with a tool to the hot surface. With the hammer setup, put the dab on the cold skillet or nail, then apply heat selectively to the dab with the hammer.

syrupy,
Reactions: DieHard

herbivore21

I found some hammer vids on youtube. Oh my god. I need a nail/reclaimer. I am finding I will use .05 of oil a day these days rather than 4g of flowers like I used to. Concentrates are great!

herbivore21,
Reactions: DieHard

chimpybits

There was discussion of Hammer nail dabs a few pages back on the Hammer thread, especially this useful one with videos:
It not too different from a nail.
Place your dabber in the heat exchanger and then inhale the oil vapors produced.
I like to look inside my heat exchanger and when it gets glowing red (you may need to block light from one heat port) I stop heating and do my dab.

You shouldn't need cotton in your stem or even at all.

My mention towards concentrates users was the only time in that post I was speaking of concentrate usage. Similar to the MFLB Concentrate trays I use a very small UD screen I made to look like a Y/T, it captures oil and is only designed to capture, its not needed but would probably be appreciated.

Idiots guide;

I did that in the second video as I wanted to ensure it got all the oils but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

EDIT:
Anyone try conduction yet? @RUDE BOY

chimpybits,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Yeah, it's a Persei attachment called, maybe regrettably, the Hammer Top. Turns the Persei into a 1200f soldering iron.

syrupy,

clouded vision

The best way is to use a torch IMO. Trust me you won't regret it. There is nothing like a low temp dab. I haven't tried the hammer but at 1200f, aren't you combusting? At the very least, it is going to be a very hot hit.

I wouldn't worry about using the torch, it's off before you get high and its only scary the first time.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
The best way is to use a torch IMO. Trust me you won't regret it. There is nothing like a low temp dab. I haven't tried the hammer but at 1200f, aren't you combusting? At the very least, it is going to be a very hot hit.

I wouldn't worry about using the torch, it's off before you get high and its only scary the first time.

What's there to combust? There's no plant material. I thought most torches go up to 2500f, so the Hammer might be the lower temp dab.

I get tired of telling folks I'm a creme brulee chef and not a crackhead. Also by the seventh dab, it can be difficult to ensure the torch isn't caught in the locked position.

syrupy,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I assume its not an instant 1200 just capable of getting that hot. I'm sure just like the other pen vaporizers he would be able to regulate temperature with pulses.

paytonpenn,
Reactions: Caligula

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I assume its not an instant 1200 just capable of getting that hot. I'm sure just like the other pen vaporizers he would be able to regulate temperature with pulses.

Can't pulse the Hammer easily because the latch wants to stay on until the 2-minute timeout. But you're correct it can be regulated. Once it's hot, I can vaporize dabs by just holding the rod above the dab. No touch, no mess.

clouded vision

Atomized oil is very flammable when mixed in oxygen so the vapor itself spontaneously combusts above certain temperatures. Torches do go to around 2450f but the flame itself never goes anywhere near the oil and the titanium has cooled well below 800 before I dab.
I have never been so dabbed out that I couldn't safely operate my torch and if I were, I surely wouldn't need another dab. If you really don't like the idea of a torch then upgrade to an enail but you will never convince me that a soldering iron dab is better than the really thing.

clouded vision,
Reactions: pigfoot

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
If you really don't like the idea of a torch then upgrade to an enail but you will never convince me that a soldering iron dab is better than the really thing.

I wanted to come back and argue the point. Instead I dusted off the torch, and after a dab, I concede the point. :bowdown::rockon:

I see @herbivore21 is trying out the Hercules attachment. It has a learning curve, but it's a good delivery system.

herbivore21

I'm gonna be hitting the herc within a week :) Thinking of getting a cheap quartz nail and using the hammer top to hit it too! I am gonna mainly use the persei for oils though. It is the main reason I've bought the thing!

herbivore21,
I'm gonna be hitting the herc within a week :) Thinking of getting a cheap quartz nail and using the hammer top to hit it too! I am gonna mainly use the persei for oils though. It is the main reason I've bought the thing!
Mate if one of those nails that you get with bubblers is good enough I can send you one. I have a few gathering dust.
I am doing a qwet run later tonight with 7grams of Tangerine Dream. Hope it works! I've been following your tips :)

herbivore21

Man PM me your skype deets if you like, I am happy to talk recipes! Kief is a sure fire way to get shatter everytime IME, about 70-90ml of ethanol with about 1g of kief from that tangerine dream should produce you a good week's worth of shatter if you consume it at a ridiculously high rate like I do :)

Also this nail offer sounds mighty interesting :D cheers mate!

herbivore21,

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Using the Hammer top and a Ti nail accessory ($20) from the SSV and some adaptors that I got from oregonglassblower on ioffer. Not the vid you were looking for but it is just another possibility...
WNgjCTd.jpg

That's an interesting setup! How is the air flow around the nail? The male glass piece around the nail looks tight?

syrupy,
Reactions: Caligula

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Inside diameter of the adaptor is about 9mm (3/8"). The rod itself is about 3.5mm. So there is nearly 3mm clearance around the glass. This is not a driver yet. Kinda like proof of concept. I saw pics of the DBV oil kit and thought " why can't I use that nail...?)." They sell it separately for $20 so no big loss if no good. They even sent me some free swag. Stickers, lanyard and bottle opener.. With a $20 order. Good company. Anyway the rest is thrown together with stuff I had. The glass 14mm/18mm adaptor. 3 stainless steel flat washers (to get the nail height just right.). Airflow is regulated by 2 stainless external tooth lock washers stacked first on the Hammer rod. All of the stainless hardware that I used was boiled and ISO washed. Then there is a bit of heat shrink tubing to hold the spacing washers in place. A slightly longer adaptor will eliminate the flat washers and the heat shrink tubing.
It works. If I had been quicker with the dome, I would have gotten 3 solid hits on that one stubborn dab.
il8Uvfn.jpg

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
That looks like a good one. Yes it seems an adaptor would be needed.

DieHard,
Reactions: syrupy

herbivore21

@DieHard looking on that same website under the adapters section in domes/nails section, is there any particular adapter that looks like it'll do the job? I don't wanna order the wrong thing lol

herbivore21,
Top Bottom