Did You Know.........

lwien

Did you know that it took 40 minutes with the combined muscle of 82,944 processors in the K computer (4th fastest computer in the world...Kobe, Japan) to get just 1 second of human brain processing time?

And lets talk efficiency. The human brain only requires 10 watts of power to operate.

I wonder how much power it takes to operate 82,944 processors for 40 minutes.

grokit

well-worn member
Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ Still Sells Over 10,000 Copies Each Week
September 26, 2011

dark-side.jpg

Capitol Records
Most bands would kill to sell 10,000 copies of an album in its first week of release, but Pink Floyd‘s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ still manages to move that many units each and every week — 38 years after it first was released. And that 10,000 is in a slow week.

Pink Floyd have certainly earned quite a comfortable living simply off royalties from 1973’s ‘Dark Side,’ but drummer Nick Mason insists the band’s take hasn’t been as massive as one would imagine. “We weren’t some huge big band before ‘The Dark Side of the Moon,'” he tells the Irish Times. “And because we knew ‘Dark Side’ was never the sort of album you would get recorded in a month, we renegotiated our contract with the label so that we would get more studio time, but at the cost of a lower royalty rate on the album’s sales.”

So Floyd sacrificed long-term profits, but ‘Dark Side’ got made – it took almost a year – and went on to become one of the top-selling albums ever. Mason insists that these days, no other group would be allowed that kinda of time to find themselves in the studio — or put out something as groundbreaking as the record Floyd came up with.

“It was so different, so strange-sounding,” he says. “Pink Floyd were always the outsiders, we were never a Beatles/Stones-type band because we were viewed as being a psychedelic band. And no band today would be allowed to more or less live in a studio for a year just for one album.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-dark-side-sells-10000-weekly/

:rockon:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Did you know that a person technically is maximum of 10 years old, as all cells in the body are replaced constantly.

It's a nice thought, but I'm pretty sure there are cells that last a lifetime in your brain (neurons), eyes and heart I think, not to hot on biology. But most of your body is new...

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
It's a nice thought, but I'm pretty sure there are cells that last a lifetime in your brain (neurons),
Well it was a fact I got from QI, so who knows.. though I was given an interesting statement in a techy forum I frequent....

There is no such thing as fact, only temporary truths

But I'm sure it is believed the brain doesn't regenerate and when you kill brain cells they are dead forever (hence avoid amyl nitrate like the plague!)

I found this QI thread about it : http://old.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3840

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Ha amyl nitrate, we used to put it in the bong water, take a hit, and see if you can stay standing. Stupid kids. Surprised I never ignited it and blew my hand off..

I'm a firm believer in QI facts so maybe I am wrong. It's been known. And QI did a show lately where they updated all there answers as they had changed.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ Still Sells Over 10,000 Copies Each Week
September 26, 2011

dark-side.jpg

Capitol Records
Most bands would kill to sell 10,000 copies of an album in its first week of release, but Pink Floyd‘s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ still manages to move that many units each and every week — 38 years after it first was released. And that 10,000 is in a slow week.

Pink Floyd have certainly earned quite a comfortable living simply off royalties from 1973’s ‘Dark Side,’ but drummer Nick Mason insists the band’s take hasn’t been as massive as one would imagine. “We weren’t some huge big band before ‘The Dark Side of the Moon,'” he tells the Irish Times. “And because we knew ‘Dark Side’ was never the sort of album you would get recorded in a month, we renegotiated our contract with the label so that we would get more studio time, but at the cost of a lower royalty rate on the album’s sales.”

So Floyd sacrificed long-term profits, but ‘Dark Side’ got made – it took almost a year – and went on to become one of the top-selling albums ever. Mason insists that these days, no other group would be allowed that kinda of time to find themselves in the studio — or put out something as groundbreaking as the record Floyd came up with.

“It was so different, so strange-sounding,” he says. “Pink Floyd were always the outsiders, we were never a Beatles/Stones-type band because we were viewed as being a psychedelic band. And no band today would be allowed to more or less live in a studio for a year just for one album.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-dark-side-sells-10000-weekly/

:rockon:
darkside-starwars.jpg

pink_floyd_the_division_bell_ana_by_madforstereo-d5g996n.jpg

128-filthy-lucre-01.jpg

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
The dates of October 5th through October 14th 1582 never existed.
We currently follow the Gregorian calendar which was adopted by Pope GregoryXIII. At that time, the year 1582 was shortened in order to readjust the start of the vernal equinox. This is also when they started using the leap year system.

:science: Here's another useless bit of info: The year 2000 was in fact a leap year. This seems logical because it's divisible by 4, but that is not the reason. The year 2000 was very special in terms of the leap year system. In following the set guidelines in the leap year system, years which end a century are generally not leap years. For example, the year 1900 was not a leap year.
However, a more abstract rule states that years which are divisible by 400 will be considered leap years. Prior to 2000, the last (and only) time this rule came into effect was during the year 1600.

Last edited:

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I think it is meant to mean in a broader sense, not the statement itself.

The world used to be flat, the earth used to be the center of the universe, all lights in the night sky used to be stars... that kind of thing!

It's the same sentiment as the statement : "History is written by the victors".

It can also relate to the transient nature of some 'facts', such as :- "my hair is blonde" - that's only true up until the point I go grey, it falls out or I dye it another colour!

Or to keep it in the context of this forum :- "I'm vaked" - is a transient fact or temporary truth ;) (Unfortunately) :cry:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Wow and a penny only weighs 3.5 grams. I know that from weighing hash with pan scales in the 90's. And a cigarette weighs 1 gram.

Hold on your not talking about an English penny are you. ?

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
I'm not alone, someone else used pans. I'm glad the cutting up uk hash days are gone, that was never fun
Or those scam artist dealers who used a new 5p , which are @ 3.3g-v3.4g

Initially I missed the 1/2p as it gave dealers an excuse not to sell you a teenth when strapped for cash, but it wasn't long before digital went mainstream and then there was no excuse for it being under!

However that ushered in the ability to sell 1g bags or .8g bags of weed, so it's a double edged sword.

@kelly86 cigarettes to weigh raps of billy, that brought back some very old memories!

1DMF,
Reactions: kellya86

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Lately we've been hearing scary things about products like Pepcid, antacids in general. It could cause other health issues. People aren't suppose to be on these products long term. I tend to use them a lot and I've been worried.

I read where if you use a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in some water and drink it, it will help with heartburn. I thought that this sounded kinda crazy. It really works, believe or not. I don't mind the taste in a glass of water either.

MediPuff

Lately we've been hearing scary things about products like Pepcid, antacids in general. It could cause other health issues. People aren't suppose to be on these products long term. I tend to use them a lot and I've been worried.

I read where if you use a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in some water and drink it, it will help with heartburn. I thought that this sounded kinda crazy. It really works, believe or not. I don't mind the taste in a glass of water either.

That is absolutely true. It's PPIs or Proton Pump Inhibitors that cause the problem, like omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole, or rabeprazole (found in medications like Nexium, Prilosec, etc.). The PPIs can put you at risk for kidney failure, dementia, and due to the unbalancing of your microbiome (the health of the bacterial flora in your gut) they cause, they can put you at risk for developing C.difficile, which is a life-threatening intestinal disease.

It's not just any apple cider vinegar, but unpasteurized and unfiltered brands you buy at the health food store (eg. Bragg, Eden, Filsinger, Omega Nutrition). It's one tsp (5 ml) of the vinegar in one cup (250 ml) of filtered water sweetened with one tsp of honey or 4-7 drops of liquid Stevia (if you're avoiding sugar, diabetic, or at risk for diabetes). You take this three times per day.

I was on Omeprazole for years, got C.diff when my doctor put me on an antibiotic, then later I learned that the Omeprazole probably put me at risk for it. By then, my reflux was so bad, I was also taking Ranitidine. I found out about the vinegar drink, started taking it and quit my Omeprazole and Ranitidine that same day. No problems since.

MP

P.S. Heartburn/reflux is aggravated by smoking, so don't.

Top Bottom