Did I Combust? (Hydrobrick Maxx)

Azn2101

Hey there, I Have my HydroBrick Maxx here and ive read a lot about people being concerned with the dark color or black or hot spots and have found a good balance when it came to temp and flame length, until the refill, the tip from the butane can got caucht just a bit csuse i remember pulling a little cause I thought It froze together. I just hit a bowl with moonrocks in there and had already gone through a few hits and let it be until the lighter.
So Theres the dark spot at the bottom of the screen but not all the way around just where the air intake is to the carb chamber, when I dry swabbed it just got mad pollen but no burnt residue and none in the female attachment or tube, but just a slight burnt smell and the initial "oh shit thats way too much smoke about to hit me" but again, nothing to swab away except the dark spot on the screen
Did I combust or did the moonrock like catch for a second? Idk, anyone got experience on this?

Ran my first bowl through it and it tastes fine...I think, if theres any burst taste it might just be from my mouth but id be good to know for future reference

For sure, the article is a very scientific and through one, and there was definitely doubt about it cause when I lifted the catalyst block there wasn't a smoke smoke cloud or even more than a wisp cause the smoke got no more than half way up the mouthpiece before I lifted it and started doing damage control.
My last question is regarding SBL's lifetime warranty or exchange policy. I bought a HydroBrick cause i've used a friends jr. off and on for a while and saw how durable, clean, and precise it was for a wooden device but upon receiving mine I saw quite a few outside acrapes on the wood and a split in the wood length wise for about 2" from drilling in the one of the front magnets. It seems that magnet is at risk of eventually moving around cause of how powerful they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Azn2101,
Reactions: steama

ginolicious

It is hard to confirm combustion with what you are describing. Darks burn-like spots do not necessarily mean combustion took place but maybe incomplete combustion caused the scorch marks.

I will say this about combustion while vaping. When you do it, you will have no need whatsoever to ask if you did. Combustion = ignition, smouldering, burning, fire, and smoke.

Combustion Chemical Reaction
https://www.britannica.com/science/combustion

:peace:

I agree. When you combust you will know it. Everyone on his board told me and I was unsure. Then one day I combusted in my Square.

Azn2101

What was the condition of your SBL product when you received it if I may ask? My grasshopper is still backlogged for repairs so when I was told by PIU's CS after sending in pics they said it was normal and being it wood i figured meh how much precision can they actually have working with wood instead of metal or glass and my friend said its about the same "the divote and indentations weren't abnormal but its not one their better works. If anything that's right at the quality control bar with low regard to aesthetics" from someone who owns 2 jr.'s the OG and the Add-on and is very good with carpentry. But I was tired of using a 5yr old bubbler soooo. =/

Last edited:
Azn2101,

Azn2101

It is hard to confirm combustion with what you are describing. Darks burn-like spots do not necessarily mean combustion took place but maybe incomplete combustion caused the scorch marks.

I will say this about combustion while vaping. When you do it, you will have no need whatsoever to ask if you did. Combustion = ignition, smouldering, burning, fire, and smoke.

Combustion Chemical Reaction
https://www.britannica.com/science/combustion

:peace:

I Fuckin' did it again, and its definitely incomplete combustion. There is a slight burnt taste and im wondering how to make it go away, again theres no ash on the bowl end or carb hole (or a very miniscule amount) and after brushing off the screen's dark spot doesn't smell, and after removing the female glass piece and cleaning a bit of ash from just the very bottom of the glass it still smells a bit but would replacing the screen get rid of it? I've also read that with incomplete combustion you can just run a few it through with material a few times, is that possible/true?

Azn2101,

Azn2101

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the info and again any advice on improving the aesthetics besides SB Butter and prevent the divot from continuing to split?

Azn2101,

EverythingsHazy

I Fuckin' did it again, and its definitely incomplete combustion. There is a slight burnt taste and im wondering how to make it go away, again theres no ash on the bowl end or carb hole (or a very miniscule amount) and after brushing off the screen's dark spot doesn't smell, and after removing the female glass piece and cleaning a bit of ash from just the very bottom of the glass it still smells a bit but would replacing the screen get rid of it? I've also read that with incomplete combustion you can just run a few it through with material a few times, is that possible/true?
You’re going to need to really clean out the entire airpath to get rid of any residual burnt smell. Using isopropyl alcohol to scrub any parts that won’t be damaged by it, will be a big help. Wood is harder to get clean, but it should be possible.

EverythingsHazy,

Azn2101

I found that jist cleaning out what I call 'Brick Dust" from the path way and chamber does 90% of the job. If like me you incompletely combust several times in a row that the most if not all the burnt material ends up on the wood or completely combust, a lukewarm dipped cotton swab (not drowned) does enough for the air path but replacing the screen or at least cleaning it along with the glass parts is what got it back to full flavor. I don't think i'll ever use iso on any of my bricks parts, not that theres anything wrong with it at all just cautious is all.

Top Bottom