Decarboxylation of cannabis

sickmanfraud

Just want to mention that PsychedlicSam of the Sticky thread on GC called Another Tincture Thread, try it you'll like it (400 pages) has done extensive testing and he now recommends that decarboxylation be at 240 F for 40 minutes.

If you are interested in the tests and / or tincture making (PsychedelicSam's tincture recipe gives excellent results).

You can find the thread on GC under medical smoking and usage then Incredible Edible Herb, then the thread called Another Tincture Thread.

There is an index on the first page.

That thread also has a recipe for a more bioavailable form of RSO, called dragon oil.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Say you had a couple ounces (56 grams) of mj that you have left over from 12 months ago: stored in a sealed Mason jar with a boveda pak. Has the mj naturally decarbed because of passage of time, or would one need to decarb prior to making tincture?

macbill,
Reactions: Snappo

sickmanfraud

Say you had a couple ounces (56 grams) of mj that you have left over from 12 months ago: stored in a sealed Mason jar with a boveda pak. Has the mj naturally decarbed because of passage of time, or would one need to decarb prior to making tincture?

I would try to test a small amount of the MMJ to try to see whether it is decarboxylated naturally.

If you have access to a lab where you could get a test, even better.

If testing is out of the question I would still make a recipe that can be made in a small test batch to see if decarboxylation has taken place. For example, since I have made PsychedelicSam's tincture so many times, I am willing to put almost my entire monthly allotment into tincture. I would suggest that for your first time 7 grams (1/4 ounce) maximum.

Don't gamble with 2 ounces of material.

Once you have successfully made a small batch you could move up to a larger batch.

Every month I make tincture with the majority of my allotment. Once I have the ethanol tincture made I can use the The tincture in a solvent transfer to coconut oil for cooking or use the tincture sublingually or, my favorite is to add the tincture to coffee.

Last edited:
sickmanfraud,
Reactions: macbill

Nesta

Just want to mention that PsychedlicSam of the Sticky thread on GC called Another Tincture Thread, try it you'll like it (400 pages) has done extensive testing and he now recommends that decarboxylation be at 240 F for 40 minutes.

If you are interested in the tests and / or tincture making (PsychedelicSam's tincture recipe gives excellent results).

You can find the thread on GC under medical smoking and usage then Incredible Edible Herb, then the thread called Another Tincture Thread.

There is an index on the first page.

That thread also has a recipe for a more bioavailable form of RSO, called dragon oil.
@sickmanfraud - What is your favored temperature/time to decarb for a tincture? Have you switched to 240F/40 minutes?

Have you noticed better results?

Do you cover the flowers while decarbing?

Nesta,
Reactions: Snappo

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here is a link to an experiment a correspondent (Rambo) at Marijuana Growers HQ learned about decarbing, just to throw another technique into the ring.

http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylation-marijuana-alchemy/

Rambo decarbs in almost boiling water (sous vide) for 1 hr and 40 minutes. He has testing to back up his claims.

I'm giving it a try right now on about 5 grams of concentrate so that I may make canna-candy and the like.

EDIT
=====
Fail on the decarb oil. I'll have to find a different way. Now trying 30 grams of mj.
I'm finding I can't suck enough air out with my ancient Food Saver, and when heated in the bath, the air expands and it floats to the top. I suspect smaller batches are the way to go.

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

@sickmanfraud - What is your favored temperature/time to decarb for a tincture? Have you switched to 240F/40 minutes?

Have you noticed better results?

Do you cover the flowers while decarbing?

I just finished my current tincture project and this was my first time decarbing at 240 for 40 minutes. I put 10 drops in my coffee this morning and I believe I am noticing more effects from the same dose size, just longer decarb.

I cover my medicine when decarbing.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Nesta

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I'd like to decarb some concentrate, and make some suckers out of melted hard cardy, eg. Worther's Caramel. From the above Skunkfarm link:
----------------
The good news is that it is dirt simple to monitor the state of cannabis oil decarboxylation placed in a 121C/250F hot oil bath, because you can watch the CO2 bubble production.

Just like the curves suggest, CO2 bubble production will proceed at its own observable rate. By keeping the puddle of oil lightly stirred on the bottom and in the corners of the pot (I use a bamboo skewer), so as to keep the bubbles broken free and floating to the top, you can tell exactly when the bubble formation suddenly tapers off at the top of the curve.

That is the point that we take it out of the oil for maximum head effect, and we leave it in until all bubbling stops, if we want a more sedative night time med.
----------------

My dilemma is roughly how many units will a gram-o-concentrate make for really strong suckers? 10? Dried pea size per unit?

Top Bottom