Decarb before bho run? Increased yield?

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
So I read something that says that decarbing material increases the amount of non-polar cannabinoids wouldn't this in turn increase efficiency by giving the butane more non-polars to extract? Anyone have any experience with this

Puffers,

vapor 4 life

From my understanding the yield of thc (potency) would go up but not the overall yeild of the run (grams). Not a scientist but have done some studying on the subject Check out Journal of Molecular Structure article named Decarboxylation of delta 9 tetrahydrocannabinal : Kinetics and molecular modeling Let us know if you try it.

vapor 4 life,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Excerpt taken from another site

Puffers, on 10 June 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:
Gray wolf mentions in another thread that decarbing turn the cannabinoids to a non polar form would decarbing before the extraction increase yield by giving butane more non polar actives to bind to?

Good question and the answer depends heavily on the process.

Faster and more efficient extraction doesn't necessarily increase yield, because all that can be extracted, is what is there.

The Terpenator has extracted up to 27% by weight in three 1 1/2 minutes soaks in butane, and a thermos can be used to extend the soak time of simple butane extractions to insure complete removal. I didn't show that process above, but will add it to this thread.

What I like about doing it afterwards, is that I can tell exactly where I am at, so as to not over cook it. It is never possible to tell exactly what state of predecarboxylation the starting material is in.

A possible compromise, is to mostly decarboxylate it to improve extraction efficiency using a non polar solvent, and then do the final decarboxylation in the oil state.

Puffers,
Top Bottom