Dear Ohio Stoners and Users of Cannabis

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Excellent post, @xer0. You mentioned some things I didn't even know about, and you said it very well. I hope your thoughts make it to the eyes and ears of Ohio voters who need to consider some of the things you said. You have probably convinced me that voting Yes on Issue 3 is the right thing to do.

EDIT:
Be careful using the word "free", as it's a registered® trademark of the united states of america, inc.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Last edited:

KimDracula

While an oligopoly over the MJ business in OH is gross, it beats the hell out of prohibition. If one is willing to wait for the exact proposal one wants, why not vote for this and work on another in the meantime? It just doesn't make sense for any honest person in the cannabis community to oppose the end of prohibition, especially in the mid-west. Why fight over who's gonna be making the money at first when people are going to jail? It's selfish to vote against this because it isn't perfect and because your particular situation is good enough to wait through at least a few more years of prohibition while others will be denied medicine, jobs, freedom. Don't be short-sighted and let the perfect be the enemy of the good (or better, as the case may be), please.

Last edited:

Gunky

I would be wary of anything that grants exclusive production rights to 10 companies. It invites corruption, strangles market initiative and creativity, restricts trade competition, etc etc and once you grant this an entrenched and well-heeled lobby will be created that ensures the profits continue. Can you imagine a state granting licenses to only 10 breweries? It's downright un-American.

Ed Rosenthal:

The Bill of Rights of Marijuana Users

1.) All current marijuana laws prohibiting possession, use, sales and production shall be repealed and this law will replace them.

2.) Cannabis will be placed under civil authority and regulation. Criminal penalties will apply only to a limited number of activities.

3.) All residents shall have the right to grow their own marijuana and to share it with family and friends.

4.) Medical marijuana shall be manufactured and provided separately than adult-use and a marijuana recommendation shall be treated as a prescription by the state. Medical dispensaries will be permitted in all jurisdictions.

5.) Adult-use stores shall be allowed on a county and city basis. They will be prohibited only by a vote of the people to prohibit them.

6.) Manufacture and processing shall be permitted in all cities and counties, and licenses to do so shall be granted when the zoning and appropriate permits are secured. These permits and the zoning laws shall not be designed to restrict the opening or continued existence of these enterprises.

7.) Adult use shall be permitted on private premises at the owner’s discretion; “public” smoking bans may apply to streets and other public property.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

I would be wary of anything that grants exclusive production rights to 10 companies. It invites corruption, strangles market initiative and creativity, restricts trade competition, etc etc and once you grant this an entrenched and well-heeled lobby will be created that ensures the profits continue.

Yes, putting people in prison for no reason is better than not putting people in prison for no reason.

People murdering each other over nothing is better than not having people murdering each other over nothing.

Keeping people who desperately need medicine from getting medicine is better than allowing people to get medicine.

Being a criminal for growing medicine at home is better than not being a criminal for growing medicine at home.

Unless you have a chance to make money on it, which you're probably not going to try doing anyway.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: KimDracula

Gunky

Ryan you are preaching to the converted. I want legalization too. I am not sure if handing everything over to big pharma or a version of it is the right response. Prohibition is crumbling. It has already fallen in our nation's capital. I would agree that sometimes something short of perfect is better than nothing. However I have noticed in life that it is way cheaper and more effective to get things right the first time rather than endless fixes and wrangling after a half-assed job.

If this is really time dependant for you and you can't wait, possibly you could move to Colorado, California, Oregon, or Washington. It's easy getting medical or recreational and some places you can have your own medical grow.

Last edited:

xer0

Its not easy for me to move. Bought a house before 2008 and the value of homes in the area have tanked since. I couldn't sell it and get what I owe let alone make enough of a profit to help fund a cross country move. I'm pretty much stuck here for another 20 years unless home values go back up...I don't see that happening at all.

I feel like people throw out the moving option too much and honestly it feels a bit condescending. Its not that easy (or cheap) to just up and move like that especially if you have a family.

To those saying they can wait a few more years...would you feel the same if there was a cop at your door wanting to search your house? I've been there...thank God nothing bad came of it...but I NEVER want to feel that stress EVER again.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

To the people who selfishly refuse to vote Yes because they think there's nothing in it for them, you might want to know this: Five years and 11 days ago, I finished walking 3,463 miles from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean (Santa Monica to Coney Island). I did it in 211 days, from start to finish.

Today I can't walk. Even though I was a machine when I finished that long walk, only a year later I couldn't walk very well. No accident did this to me. Rather, it just happened (multiple sclerosis).

My point is that some things that don't seem important to you today might be really important to you in a year. If you vote against Issue 3, you might only end up fucking yourself.

You don't think that could ever happen to you, right? Neither did I.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I guess my point is that I hurt like a motherfucker all the time. And my legs/feet/toes move around on their own all the time, which is a lot more unbearable than it sounds. My feet and legs are about 60°F.

These are just a few of the many reasons why it's important for me to be able to get my medicine easily, which is the total opposite of how it's been for me. It's not like cannabis makes me any better. All it really does is lessen some of my misery and make life a little more bearable than it would be otherwise. Maybe.

Last edited:

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
The Ohio legislation is far from perfect, but we shouldn't let "perfect be the enemy of good", IMHO. The polling suggests that Ohio is right on the edge with support hovering from 50-52%. If it doesn't pass in 2015, they can put it on the ballot again in 2016. Good luck, Ohioans!

Gunky

Adding your name to an official list of medical users can be risky. Bait and switch. Montana legalized and required registration. Then they undid the legalization and the police had a nice list of potheads.

Aimless Ryan

If my name isn't already on a list, anyone reading my posts can easily find out who I am. I don't care if my name is on a list, nor am I worried about my name being on a list. Partly because I know essentially no one else cares whether or not I use cannabis.

I don't care if people know I use marijuana. There is nothing wrong with using marijuana, either medicinally or recreationally. The more you fear being on a make-believe list that says there is something wrong with it, the longer that make-believe list will exist.

What have the police done with that list of potheads? Knowing absolutely nothing about this, my guess is nothing.

Remember, marijuana is illegal everywhere in the United States, according to federal law.

Last edited:

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
If my name isn't already on a list, anyone reading my posts can easily find out who I am. I don't care if my name is on a list, nor am I worried about my name being on a list. Partly because I know essentially no one else cares whether or not I use cannabis.

I don't care if people know I use marijuana. There is nothing wrong with using marijuana, either medicinally or recreationally. The more you fear being on a make-believe list that says there is something wrong with it, the longer that make-believe list will exist.

What have the police done with that list of potheads? Knowing absolutely nothing about this, my guess is nothing.

Remember, marijuana is illegal everywhere in the United States, according to federal law.
Preach! :clap:

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Some folks have jobs that would discriminate if they knew that you were using medical cannabis. You might be risking loosing your job or treated differently in a negative way. I understand how some folks feel. I don't tell folks where I work that I use cannabis. Your private life stays private far as I'm concerned.

I would think it would be breaking laws of medical confidentiality if you were required to be on a list. That's why it doesn't make sense to have a list. It's nobody's business except you and your doctor.

Aimless Ryan

Good point, but here's another good point: The black market is not going anywhere.

If this passes, nothing is going to get worse for anyone. If you don't want to buy it legally, buy it illegally, like you do now (if you buy it in Ohio).

Or have a friend pick it up for you from the weed store.

I'm pretty sure I read recently that prices have gone way down in Colorado now that the novelty has worn off. Wouldn't that be nice? Won't happen if you vote No.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: Fat Freddy

Gunky

I think most of us are not from Ohio and don't have a vote. I'm not sure how I would vote. It's not a good arrangement and as a result cannabis regulations and structures will likely be unstable for a while and even subject to reversal if some really stupid blunders in the law turn up. On the other hand it lets you grow! Heck yeah albeit with dumb and dangerous restrictions. Tough call. Too bad someone didn't come up with a better law.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
They can always work towards making their law better with the help of some of the bigger cannabis activism groups such as NORMAL or Americans for Safe Access. They have the referendum process in Ohio that's a plus. Not all states have that.

Allowing you to grow is a big deal. I don't grow but I may decide to some day.

Gunky

[snip]
Allowing you to grow is a big deal. I don't grow but I may decide to some day.

Ya gotta try it. Get one of the books, like Ed Rosenthal's Marijuana Grower's Handbook, spend some time evaluating different types of grows (lots of choices, select something that fits you), arrange your equipment, seeds/clones etc. Modern strains take only three months or so to flower if you can control the length of darkness. It is not only rewarding in terms of great shit for vaping, including ice water hash, but also the plants grow quickly and are attractive and fun. They become like pets. Plants growing under lights create a beautiful, quiet, meditative space. I particularly love sitting near a bank of T-5 bulbs I use in a small tent for vegetative growth. A lush indoor garden that loves to eat my CO2 and produce oxygen.

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
I was in OR and it is legal to have but not to buy (yet). The herb was free but I paid either a delivery fee or container fee or a donation.

I imagine ohio will do the same with the people allowed to grow.

BTW I read the issue, they can add new growers after 4 years. It will be up to the governor's appointed cannabis committee.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I would vote yes if I lived in OH just based on the principal that legalization will bring awareness. Prohibition was based on lies and fear-mongering tactics that are still engrained in much of our society. Voting yes is part of the process that will break this down and lead to further acceptance and understanding of Medical and Recreational use of marijuana. If a majority of society doesn't understand the plant, then how can we expect to get everything right on the first time around. Even those that have indebted their lives and careers into this plant don't fully understand the capabilities of this plant so how can anyone know what would be the "right" way to create legislature for this wonderful plant.

I also don't think the state laws that are made in the process to breakdown legalization should be held in too high of a regard. Don't get me wrong, I do think they should be taken seriously, however at some point the federal government will have to step in a set guide lines for the breakdown of prohibition on Marijuana. It is inevitable as long as we keep the legalization ball rolling forward.

We really need the support on the east coast as the east coast will drive more of the federal support IMO.

I think too many people get caught up on the 10 commercial growers language, which I do believe was revised. Regardless, 10 seems like hardly a monopoly when you look at big Pharma companies.

MinnBobber

MN mmj law gave all manuf rights to just two big (big $) companies, and no home grow. No flowers will be allowed---just pills, liquid, concentrates.

It's a tough call in Ohio as if passed these 10 will use all their resources to keep their gravy-train rolling and not let in more growers.
But---allowing homegrow would be great so I'd probably be a reluctant yes ......

KimDracula

I listen to "Radical" Russ Belville a lot and this has been coming up. On the last couple shows he seems to have found that this isn't 10 owners or 10 growers controlling everything, but rather 10 sites. If this is correct then there will be many more than 10 sources. Obviously you could still disagree with this ideologically but if this is correct, this is far from the tiny oligopoly we thought it was.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/74882936

Around 50 minutes this language is mentioned. This is at least the second time it has been talked about on this show (the first was in a bit greater detail a couple shows back, I think). You can also find his show on iTunes or at 420radio.org.

Has anyone else heard something like this?

Bluestang

Either way, isn't it still only 1 "group" who is investing and controlling this? There may be 10 whatever, but Responsible Ohio is funding/backing everything, right? So to me that's still a problem.

Bluestang,

Aimless Ryan

Cannabis being illegal is an infinitely bigger problem than anything that could possibly happen with passage of Issue 3.

Remember, the black market is not going anywhere. If you don't want to support the people who stand to make money from passage of this initiative, then don't support them.

If this passes, everyone benefits. No one doesn't benefit. Except maybe horrible weed dealers, like the guy who was ripping me off by 25% for nearly a year.

Why did I let it happen for almost a year? Partly because I was desperate for medicine and I didn't have any other options. Passage of Issue 3 gives me other options, which I may desperately need at some point.

Top Bottom