DDave Mod, New DDave Mini Mod & Kit for Arizer EQ/VTower Vapes

absoludicrous

I found the same with the elbow, too restrictive for my liking. The EQ has plenty of heat and least in my use/testing, I was never able to overdraw and cool the heater enough to notice any kind of performance drop.

For the 14mm short F/F setup, try loading the cyclone instead of the basket screen. Any significant draw will cause the herbs to self-pack (but lightly) into the basked. Created it for ultra-conservatives. The tall F/F, try again loading the adapter. A nice steady draw should cause the herbs to dance in the adapter... a stronger draw will self-pack, but requires much stronger draw than the shorty. Both have pretty good lasting session flavor.

I did not understand and believe how you spoke previously about a big draw self packing, but it happened to me. You were right, packing the cyclone made the restriction much less but had great flavor and lasted a while. I'm going to try the 18 tomorrow and see how that goes. I didn't realize how close the tip of the wand was to the product/screen. I didn't even take much of a draw, but it still self packed. Curious how the 18 will go. I like the 14 cyclone pack so far. Your printed instructions that you include in the kit are pretty spot on.

Are there any tips on installing the screens? I thought I had the screen in good, but I noticed that some product fell through and hit the heater. I did a little blowing to get the flowers out of the screen when it packed itself, so I'm not sure if that was what caused the product to get through. It's possible I didn't put the screen on good enough. But any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I found the same with the elbow, too restrictive for my liking. The EQ has plenty of heat and least in my use/testing, I was never able to overdraw and cool the heater enough to notice any kind of performance drop.

For the 14mm short F/F setup, try loading the cyclone instead of the basket screen. Any significant draw will cause the herbs to self-pack (but lightly) into the basked. Created it for ultra-conservatives. The tall F/F, try again loading the adapter. A nice steady draw should cause the herbs to dance in the adapter... a stronger draw will self-pack, but requires much stronger draw than the shorty. Both have pretty good lasting session flavor.
Are you referring to a type of whip to 18mm adapter, kind of like the Arizer elbow?

I was always considering including a mouthpiece as well. Just so many varieties, so many different tastes amongst EQ people... Maybe I'll take a poll and post several different common styles to see if there's any common liking?

I like the un-restrictive, non-telescoping design of the mod kit. An elbow might pull that design in the wrong direction. There is all kinds of J-hook designs out there. Haven't found one
that might be a good fit with the wands that fit my criteria. Except the one pictured below. But just started looking into that. ;)

Here is one design that I picture sitting on top of a wand, but would allow for little restriction with the pathway.( Imagine this upside down for a moment and bear with me. ) Although this one has the screen lip built in:\, you get the general idea. Nearly the same width from connection to mouthpiece. Plus the 180 degree bend might keep less of the particles away from the mouthpiece with the least amount of telescoping. Which is what my aim is. Notice that the adapter end is straight too. Which could perhaps fit over the smooth top of the 18mm wand better. If this piece was tall enough, then the bend towards the mouthpiece would be pointing away from the EQ properly. So you could take direct draws without any whip hose. Goodbye whip hose problems. Hello GonG.:brow: There may even be some proper cooling of the vapor too. So less need for water cooling. But some will still want to have fun with that.

This is the CFRLB template that I submit for DDave v3. Just without the closure near the adapter end and keeping in mind the right amount of height and bend to draw directly from the
J hook while being attached to the wand. I do admit that I borrowed some of the design concept from my bathroom sink. :haw:
If you wanted to go all out, have a wand with the top female shaped enough to fit an adapter similar to this and keep things modular. CF likes things modular.:nod:
JHOOK-PREMIUM_1.jpg

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
With the stock eq elbow set up, I notice I get alot of particle matter that makes it through the basket and builds up at the top of the elbow. Because of the 90 degree turn.
Now when my ddave kit arrives that will not have a 90 degree anywhere ( less restrictive ), so does that mean I will be breathing in more particles with this kit apposed to stock? And is this a problem considering I use my eq every day? Just concerned for my health. Or do the ddave screens stop anything coming through?

Last edited:

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I did not understand and believe how you spoke previously about a big draw self packing, but it happened to me. You were right, packing the cyclone made the restriction much less but had great flavor and lasted a while. I'm going to try the 18 tomorrow and see how that goes. I didn't realize how close the tip of the wand was to the product/screen. I didn't even take much of a draw, but it still self packed. Curious how the 18 will go. I like the 14 cyclone pack so far. Your printed instructions that you include in the kit are pretty spot on.

Are there any tips on installing the screens? I thought I had the screen in good, but I noticed that some product fell through and hit the heater. I did a little blowing to get the flowers out of the screen when it packed itself, so I'm not sure if that was what caused the product to get through. It's possible I didn't put the screen on good enough. But any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I think the self-packing action is awesome! Good extraction without a lot of draw resistance!
Thanks for the feedback on the instructions! Before I released the kits, I believe that was rewritten about 9 times... ;)

To insert the screen within any of the F/F adapters, first shape it like a "hard shell taco" with a nice round bend. Insert one of the ends into the 18mm part of the adapter, till it's just over the center ring of the adapter. In the 18mm/18mm adapter, I'm able to use my fingers for the next part. For the 14mm, I used a chop stick :ninja:). Push the inserted (folded) section of screen down towards the center ring of the adapter which pushing the other end of the folded screen up towards the center ring. Use a toothpick or chop stick to fine tune screen shape.

These screens do not wobble once inserted.

With the stock eq elbow set up, I notice I get alot of particle matter that makes t through the basket and builds up at the top of the elbow. Because of the 90 degree turn.
Now when my ddave kit arrives that will not have a 90 degree anywhere ( less restrictive ), so does that mean I will be breathing in more particles with this kit apposed to stock? And is this a problem considering I use my eq every day? Jus concerned for my health. Or do the ddave screens stop anything coming through?
The screens absoludicrous were mentioning were in the F/F adapter. The one you are referring to is the basket screen in the elbow adapter or wand.

quick answer, depends on your grind. (if ground to dust, or fine particles, can get through screens)... ;)

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So is it detrimental to my health to be inhaling particles?
I don't grind fine but by the time I do a repack at the end it does get fine. Is this just a normal part of vaping. Do most FCers use water tools? So this would not be an issue.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I don't grind fine but by the time I do a repack at the end it does get fine. Is this just a normal part of vaping. Do most FCers use water tools? So this would not be an issue.
I don't think a study has been done on mmj particles specifically, not that i'm aware of.

@Nugg has the closest thing to a filter in his setup that I've seen posted.

absoludicrous

@DDave , Thanks for that info. I will check out the screen again. Man, that must've hit me hard last night because I barely remember writing that post.

I didn't remember seeing the screen moving much doing the cyclone pack but I wasn't paying too much attention either. I have a feeling it might have come out when I was blowing into the piece to get the particles out of the wand basket. It was stuck pretty good and I didn't realize I should have just pulled out the wand and used something to take it out. I'll try it again and if I have the same issue, I'll reinsert the screen with your instructions.

I originally put the screen like the hard taco you mentioned. And it seemed to be in very solid and not moving at all. That's why I was surprised last night when I saw some burnt pieces on the heater. Not sure how that got there but I'll keep an eye out in the future. I packed a tiny bowl compared to my normal elbow pack and I felt great last night. So many possibilities...

@kellya86 , I have only gotten the oils built up in my stock elbow. Never had any pieces come through the screen. Maybe it's because of the grinder I use. It could possibly be an issue if you're grinding very fine though. I don't think I've ever had that issue with my Q elbow and haven't had anything come through on DDave's kit yet. The screens provided in the kit are pretty fine and I think it'd have to be pretty fine for it to get through. I only use a whip setup, no water tools. I clean my pieces maybe every few weeks and haven't noticed anything other than the typical buildup of the oils. Although I used to only elbow pack and didn't really stir much. If you're really concerned, that filter Nugg posted earlier should help with any pieces that come through as DDave mentioned.

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler

Not if you can see them...
Your lungs and airways have very efficient mechanisms to capture and expel (expectorate!) anything bigger than 10 µm diameter. eg http://www.particleandfibretoxicology.com/content/10/1/12
Tiny bits of weed escaping the pack will do you no damage especially compared to all the known bad effects of sucking in combustion products eg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke
OTOH, simply walking down the street in a badly polluted city like Beijing is definitely going to involve inhaling overwhelming amounts of respirable particles detrimental to your health because of the heavy smog.....

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Yes after some research I realise now that the lungs and respiratory system are fucking amazing. How did nature think of everything? The lungs have the ability to deal with large and and small particles. I read papers on coal miners lungs and what they inhale in their life compared to what's in their lungs at death is amazing. So not worried anymore. And I think it's stiring and repacking that caused the fine matter to come through, and I think the ddave eliminates some of the pissing about. I think anyway not sure. So I should get less come through with ddave anyway.

Nugg

@kellya86 are you using a whip in your set up? Or direct draw from the wand?

I run a short (25cm) whip with an adapter to my water tool. I load the wand by sucking from the adapter end. Even before I put my filter in I never got any particles in my mouth. Now any particles get trapped and don't gunk my whip up.

@DDave Yeah I'm talking about a whip to 18mm adapter. One where the whip attaches to the top not the side like the arizer elbow.

My whip is in a big arc shape from the top of the EQ to the joint on my water tool. Nice and short and no right angles to impede flow or gunk up.

CuckFumbustion

abbreviated and reedited
Hose modders. :cool:Just cut a few 1' strips/rings from the hose and made silicone adapters. Just flip 1/3 of the hose over and slide it over your glass tube/adapter/wand. Also easier to grab, if you misplaced your tongs. Might provide a little heat insulation too?
If you notice any building that uses an arc in it's design, the base has more support on bottom. That what the 1' strips do to prevent wrinkling. Base support and reinforcement.

Silicone hose is pliable, but tends to pinch under it's own weight. So, I took a few more 1' rings, stretched them over outside of the long piece of whip hose for support. (Go ahead make a support hose joke if you must.:D ) So when everything is set in the EQ. The hose will arc better and not pinch near the tighter/weaker points of the arc. Hose Arc-hitecture 101. :haw:

Say @Nugg Came up with a way to reinforce the arc with the whip hose between the EQ to say your water tool. It gives some added strength to the bottom and prevents less pinching and trying to find the best placement between the two. If you place these pieces toward the ends/base that is.

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...
@Nugg, I am just using stock eq setup, with silicone whip. I await arrival of ddave kit soon. I always elbow pack. Wasn't aware I could direct draw from wand when I get my kit. Wouldn't that be hot

kellya86

Herb gardener...
Iv heard people say that when they use the ssv wand with the ff 18 they shake instead of stir. Is that something I can do with the ddave wand or does that pack differently. (In the basket instead of between it and another screen)

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
From the first post of this thread....

What's different in the latest Mod revision?
The latest revision of the mod changes the wand and method of extraction. The wands included in the kit do not accommodate the center screen. This was defeating the purpose of bringing the herbs as close to the heater as possible. Now, there are two methods of use. Power Mode and Standard. In power mode, the wand is packed in the same fashion as the famous "elbow pack". In standard mode, load your herbs into the F/F adapter, then insert the wand.

absoludicrous

I almost posted in the EQ thread but figured it'd be better here in the dedicated thread in case others had the same questions in the future...

I'm having a slight annoyance where my whip is bending at the top of the wand if I'm not careful. I had the same problem with the one that DDave ships with the kit. I figured out that if I keep my Q lower in height instead of on top of my table, it doesn't happen very often. And if it happens, I just twist the hose around and it is perfect.

I believe it is because the wand is pointing straight up to the sky. For the tube to get to my mouth, it'd have to do at least a 90 degree angle if not more when I'm lower in height than the top of the wand. I can understand why it is bending, but does anyone have a trick to avoid it other than keeping the EQ lower?

Any tips would be awesome since my longer whip that I bought is heavier and doing it more often. If there is nothing I can do, no big deal. Just hoping someone smarter than me has figured it out already.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I almost posted in the EQ thread but figured it'd be better here in the dedicated thread in case others had the same questions in the future...

I'm having a slight annoyance where my whip is bending at the top of the wand if I'm not careful. I had the same problem with the one that DDave ships with the kit. I figured out that if I keep my Q lower in height instead of on top of my table, it doesn't happen very often. And if it happens, I just twist the hose around and it is perfect.

I believe it is because the wand is pointing straight up to the sky. For the tube to get to my mouth, it'd have to do at least a 90 degree angle if not more when I'm lower in height than the top of the wand. I can understand why it is bending, but does anyone have a trick to avoid it other than keeping the EQ lower?

Any tips would be awesome since my longer whip that I bought is heavier and doing it more often. If there is nothing I can do, no big deal. Just hoping someone smarter than me has figured it out already.
@absoludicrous

Good feedback! Am going to do some more testing with various length whip tubing and EQ positioning.

(It is going to have to be Dry Run Testing though... :cry: The TBreak still in effect.)

My vape station, by default, has the EQ lower than my water tool, as I found it easier to load/unload the EQ during sessions, so didn't run into this. Also, I use a length of whip tubing much shorter than I include in the kits. (Just include long whip tubes so anyone can cut to their preferred length).

CuckFumbustion

About 7 posts before yours, I offered a solution. Click one of the links or scroll up. Didn't want to quote myself a third time:D. Post # 87
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/d...izer-eq-vtower-vapes.19018/page-4#post-859549

Essentially, you cut 2 one inch pieces off your hose and slip each piece over both ends.
Or just one end for a whip hose. When you have the hose with the reinforced ends attached, the whip hose has more reinforcement at it's own base. So it doesn't bend over from it's own weight.
Notice the photo with The Gateway arch below. The base of the arch is thicker than the top of the arch. This gives more support from the building's own weight. Now imagine putting those 1 inch pieces that have been cut off of your whip hose and inserting them on each end. Then bending that hose to form an arch between your EQ and say your favorite GonG piece. The base of the arch gives support for the weight pushing down from the top.

If you just want to just use a whip then the piece attached to your EQ will support half the weight and not collapse under it's own weight near the EQ.:nod: pretty cool hunh?
225px-Gateway_Arch.jpg

absoludicrous

About 7 posts before yours, I offered a solution. Click one of the links or scroll up. Didn't want to quote myself a third time:D. Post # 87
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/d...izer-eq-vtower-vapes.19018/page-4#post-859549

Essentially, you cut 2 one inch pieces off your hose and slip each piece over both ends.
Or just one end for a whip hose. When you have the hose with the reinforced ends attached, the whip hose has more reinforcement at it's own base. So it doesn't bend over from it's own weight.
Notice the photo with The Gateway arch below. The base of the arch is thicker than the top of the arch. This gives more support from the building's own weight. Now imagine putting those 1 inch pieces that have been cut off of your whip hose and inserting them on each end. Then bending that hose to form an arch between your EQ and say your favorite GonG piece. The base of the arch gives support for the weight pushing down from the top.

If you just want to just use a whip then the piece attached to your EQ will support half the weight and not collapse under it's own weight near the EQ.:nod: pretty cool hunh?
225px-Gateway_Arch.jpg

Wow, thanks for that tip. My fingers/nails are hurting like hell but I finally got it to work. Took a while to visualize what you were trying to say but it makes total sense now. I had to use 2 x 1" strips to get it to work with my whip. I cut it pretty long, so it's probably too heavy for just 1 strip. It works perfectly now on my table and I can lay on the couch without having to worry about the pinch.

I knew there were some smart people out there who could help. I feel like a dummy for not seeing the posts from earlier lol. Thanks again!

CuckFumbustion

Wow, thanks for that tip. My fingers/nails are hurting like hell but I finally got it to work. Took a while to visualize what you were trying to say but it makes total sense now. I knew there were some smart people out there who could help. I feel like a dummy for not seeing the posts from earlier lol. Thanks again!

I has some challenge trying to think of a way to explain the idea in a such way, that some other FCer could visualize. Thanks for trying it out, and enduring the finger work.
Just happened to catch your question a short time after you posted, and needed a reason to attempt another pass at explaining it anyway. It bared repeating if it helped another poster. ;)
Wasn't sure I was coming across well or not. Perhaps one of us will think of a smarter method to roll it over. :hmm:

So were you able to get it to work for yourself? Can you d half of a 'gateway arch.' at least?
Tx. I need to let the staff at CFRLB know.:haw:

Last edited:
CuckFumbustion,
Reactions: DDave

kellya86

Herb gardener...
After the long long wait as my ddave kit made its transatlantic trip to Europe. It then embarked on a European adventure to visit Italy. Before finally turning up in the UK this morning. It has now seen more of Europe than me. But I don't mind. Good thing come to those who wait. Patience is a virtue. These are the things iv been telling myself while my kit was roaming.
But never the less it is here now. I will use tonight and report back. Can't wait to finish work now.

I would also like to say that mine is an isolated incident with taking so long. Ddave has assured me this hasn't happened before, so don't let my wait put you off if you are thinking of ordering to uk.

Top Bottom