Davinci by Karma

C No Ego

looks like people are having the charger issue like I did. OF is correct in that the charger is built for this unit. when my charger went bad for my first unit I bought another davinci as a back up and used the new charger for both units. same new charger is still going strong but I question if it will last as long as the vape which according to the first vape it might not. at this point it will be worth buying a new charger if my second one goes out.

edit- just using any charger could malfunction the unit so be careful.

C No Ego,
Reactions: OF

max

Out to lunch
Question: My straw broke (this is the like the 5th that's broken), will a MFLB stem fit into the little metal bit that the flexi-straw fits in? If so that would be sweet to be able to switch out that acrylic one for a glass MFLB stem.
I don't understand why you've had so much trouble. I've had a DV since the model was first introduced, and have never broken one. Since it's just flexible silicone with a cover, the only way I can see a failure happening is by unscrewing it by holding the straw instead of the base, thus detaching the straw from the base. Since the connection can get sticky after a while this can and does become an issue, but as long as you grab the solid base instead of the flexible straw, it should never break.

My 2+ year old charger has also held up just fine.

max,
Reactions: OF

OF

I've had a DV since the model was first introduced, and have never broken one. Since it's just flexible silicone with a cover, the only way I can see a failure happening is by unscrewing it by holding the straw instead of the base, thus detaching the straw from the base.

Same here, no problems with stems. I think most are like this? But some have had several problems with theirs. I think at least some of that is from using the stem as a handle? Several guys have reported wrecking theirs that way, and I've caught myself reaching.......

I'm thinking maybe a tug causes it to loosen up later on? Not pointing any fingers, just saying this is another way to have troubles (or so it's been reported). I've got to agree, when that sucker starts getting hot that stem looks like a much needed cool handle.

OF

OF,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I know I've gone through 4 flexi straws and a snorkel and the inner straw stays fine @max. Its the outer braided cover that separates and slips off of the screw-in base. I have never lifted the DV with the mouthpiece nor do I unscrew them holding above the base, they still only last me around 3 months at most. I would replace the mouthpiece that often anyways if they were a bit cheaper as they don't clean up as well as any other vaporizers mouthpiece I own.

I don't know why they break on me but they sure do. I take care of my belongings, still wearing my Boots from the '80s and listening to Albums from the '60s. These flexi straws do just fall apart is my take.

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
I know I've gone through 4 flexi straws and a snorkel and the inner straw stays fine @max. Its the outer braided cover that separates and slips off of the screw-in base. I have never lifted the DV with the mouthpiece nor do I unscrew them holding above the base, they still only last me around 3 months at most. I would replace the mouthpiece that often anyways if they were a bit cheaper as they don't clean up as well as any other vaporizers mouthpiece I own.

I don't know why they break on me but they sure do. I take care of my belongings, still wearing my Boots from the '80s and listening to Albums from the '60s. These flexi straws do just fall apart is my take.
My take would be the opposite. A friend has one as old as mine, and also still has the original straw intact. Maybe they don't make 'em like they used to. :shrug:

Yoosh

Hey guys, you think it's possible to send out used straws? I have a snorkel straw I might send out but it's been used a handful of times and I'm uncertain if/how to clean it thoroughly.

Also, anyone have a 'best method' to fully clean a DV for shipping? I'm selling one of mine to a FCer who'll make great use of it. :)

KidFated.

Unknown Member
I did salt and ISO in mine and did a few rinses. It cleaned up pretty well! That was with a snorkel as well and was sent to a fellow member!

Edit-I swabbed the inside with qtips and iso, bottom chamber and the top part.

OF

Hey guys, you think it's possible to send out used straws? I have a snorkel straw I might send out but it's been used a handful of times and I'm uncertain if/how to clean it thoroughly.

How about using a largish, say 10cc, syringe to pump ISO in and out through the straw?

OF

OF,
Reactions: Yoosh

GeekyGodiva

Happy Hairy Herbal Faerie
Geeky do you know where your friend found those new style straws? this is the first I've heard about 'em.
He bought them on Rakuten advertised as OEM DV. Came in DV brand packaging just like my previous replacement straws. There is a typo on the bar-code of this one, but it had the DV cardboard thingy staple to it. Draws like a dream, feels more solid.

Can you post a pic of the new style?.. Please :)
Okay, here you go! It's a textured rubber on the outside instead of a woven plastic sheath.

DSCN9130_zps18e54897.jpg

DSCN9129_zpsbcb5f48e.jpg

Tried to take them both as macros, but I really suck at actually seeing my camera screen, so they aren't great.

looks like people are having the charger issue like I did. OF is correct in that the charger is built for this unit. when my charger went bad for my first unit I bought another davinci as a back up and used the new charger for both units. same new charger is still going strong but I question if it will last as long as the vape which according to the first vape it might not. at this point it will be worth buying a new charger if my second one goes out.

edit- just using any charger could malfunction the unit so be careful.

I finally got a new charger (OEM DV) and bam! It works perfectly. Now I have my portable back.

Learn from my mistake, if the DV stops charging, try getting a new charger, so it doesn't sit as a brick for 4 months. $20 is worth it to me, I just needed to find that extra $20 in my budget.

Also, anyone have a 'best method' to fully clean a DV for shipping? I'm selling one of mine to a FCer who'll make great use of it. :)

Yoosh, I had to return my first DV to on-line shop it was purchased from after a couple months of use. I have regular maintenance routine for DV that I did a bit more thoroughly before mailing. I swabbed out my unit with q tips and iso (crucible and upper chamber both), the straws I cleaned with pipe cleaners and iso after a bit of a soak, then ran water through it and let it dry. Soaked the screens and upper chamber cap in iso and gently scrubbed with an old toothbrush.

Last edited:

spyguy467

I'm kinda close to pulling the trigger on one of these but i also have been looking at the arizer solo, im kind of stuck. Price isnt really a concern because i can find them both around the same price.

spyguy467,

Arfsdad

I'm kinda close to pulling the trigger on one of these but i also have been looking at the arizer solo, im kind of stuck. Price isnt really a concern because i can find them both around the same price.
I own both. Bought the Davinci first, had reliability problems, am on my third (1st two were replaced by Davinci) should be on my fourth but I repaired #3 just prior to sending it back. Hopefully by now they have the reliability problems resolved. Solo....slam dunk, better in all aspects except portability, fast and simple to clean, fewer mechanical things to fail, battery is easily user replaced, is my daily driver, I only use the Davinci if out hiking cuz is more portable. Assuming Davinci has resolved the reliability issues you won't go wrong with either, but the Solo is my favorite. Splurge, get them both, it's good to have a backup on the days you forget to charge.

spyguy467

I own both. Bought the Davinci first, had reliability problems, am on my third (1st two were replaced by Davinci) should be on my fourth but I repaired #3 just prior to sending it back. Hopefully by now they have the reliability problems resolved. Solo....slam dunk, better in all aspects except portability, fast and simple to clean, fewer mechanical things to fail, battery is easily user replaced, is my daily driver, I only use the Davinci if out hiking cuz is more portable. Assuming Davinci has resolved the reliability issues you won't go wrong with either, but the Solo is my favorite. Splurge, get them both, it's good to have a backup on the days you forget to charge.
geez, how often did you use your davinci, and im assuming you had the initial release model right?

spyguy467,

Arfsdad

geez, how often did you use your davinci, and im assuming you had the initial release model right?
The DV was purchased end of December 2012 and had the mechanical latch, the one I have now has the magnetic latch. # 1 failed on the first day, after 1 hour of use. # 2 failed after 3 months of using for 1/2 hour each day. # 3 lasted for 8 months 1/2 hr. /day usage but I purchased a Solo because of DV paranoia and let the DV sit for a month, when I went back to the DV it was dead. Maybe I just got lucky with the Solo?, I don't think so, it's not as flashy as the DV but it's a rock of a performer, whenever I turn on the DV I kind of peek and am pleasantly surprised if it functions, never that way with the Solo, I expect it to function every time, and it does. Sorry Timex but here goes, My Solo takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Arfsdad,

spyguy467

The DV was purchased end of December 2012 and had the mechanical latch, the one I have now has the magnetic latch. # 1 failed on the first day, after 1 hour of use. # 2 failed after 3 months of using for 1/2 hour each day. # 3 lasted for 8 months 1/2 hr. /day usage but I purchased a Solo because of DV paranoia and let the DV sit for a month, when I went back to the DV it was dead. Maybe I just got lucky with the Solo?, I don't think so, it's not as flashy as the DV but it's a rock of a performer, whenever I turn on the DV I kind of peek and am pleasantly surprised if it functions, never that way with the Solo, I expect it to function every time, and it does. Sorry Timex but here goes, My Solo takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
i think i'm going to go with the solo just because it seems more reliable, i've went through like 3 cheap e-cig things already since like march and i want something to last

Arfsdad

i think i'm going to go with the solo just because it seems more reliable, i've went through like 3 cheap e-cig things already since like march and i want something to last
I highly recommend Puff It Up for purchase. I also recommend using it as stock for a while before you add any aftermarket items. I have no desire for aftermarket items, the Solo is just a dream as is, actually I did add a high temperature O ring as has been discussed in the Solo thread, but that's it for additions.

llamaman001

Is it possible to get these things so dirty they stay resined up? I only ask because I just got my davinci from another user here and it is off gassing like crazy. A pretty thick and steady stream is just shooting out the mouthpiece part any time it hits 350 or over. Ive tried a bunch of iso scrubs and Im not getting any type of resin on the q-tips im using. I just dont understand what it could be. I already ran 2 full sessions on 405 and its still coming out just as strong. Should I keep doing burn offs until nothing remains? Im just not sure what to do and Im not even going to try to hit it because I have no idea what this vapor is and it doesent smell like resin or iso

Last edited:
llamaman001,

OF

Is it possible to get these things so dirty they stay resined up?

A pretty thick and steady stream is just shooting out the mouthpiece part any time it hits 350 or over.

Yes, IMO it's definitely possible to condense vapor in places you can't scrub out with ISO. In fact, it's unavoidable. Heat to 'the magic temperature' will then cause it to evaporate all over again. Like so many vapes, it's just not possible to get it 'squeaky clean' ever again.

I seriously doubt it's anything else in a well used unit. Any normal outgasing happened ages ago at higher temps than 350F and by now it's clear that all suspect surfaces have been sealed with THC laden deposits waiting for 350 or above?

OF

llamaman001

Ive done a total of 11 burns offs at max temp and the 3 iso cleanings. Its still literally just shooting out vapor. Ill do my best to get a video but dont have my camera right now so I only have my cheap ass phone. Its producing enough vapor without anything in the chamber to take fairly decent mflb sized hits out of it and it continues to produce this much through the entire 10 min period before it shuts off.

Is there anyone out there that has a heavily used davinci that would do a couple burn offs and see if they get the same results? Ive just NEVER had this with a vaporizer and am kind of worried breathing in this vapor.

llamaman001,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Ive done a total of 11 burns offs at max temp and the 3 iso cleanings. Its still literally just shooting out vapor. Ill do my best to get a video but dont have my camera right now so I only have my cheap ass phone. Its producing enough vapor without anything in the chamber to take fairly decent mflb sized hits out of it and it continues to produce this much through the entire 10 min period before it shuts off.

Is there anyone out there that has a heavily used davinci that would do a couple burn offs and see if they get the same results? Ive just NEVER had this with a vaporizer and am kind of worried breathing in this vapor.
When I had mine I neglected cleaning it. At all. Then I did one day and I got the bottom screen out, qtipped everywhere with ISO. And I mean everywhere. It was squeaky clean. It still produced vapor like crazy, after plenty of sessions. Just like yours.

I personally feel like it was oil that had dropped down into holes inthe bottom of the bowl and worked it's way down. You can't get a qtip down inthere. I did so fresh burn offs with my brand new one when I first got it, produced no vapor when empty.

llamaman001

Yea Im thinking its in the holes as well. I just dont understand why the SOLO never did this because when you think about it, its a pretty similar set up. Im going to try taking a hit of the burn off and see how it feels, tastes, and smells.

llamaman001,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Yea Im thinking its in the holes as well. I just dont understand why the SOLO never did this because when you think about it, its a pretty similar set up. Im going to try taking a hit of the burn off and see how it feels, tastes, and smells.
I think it might be easier for the solo to eliminate any residue? Let's us know how it tastes.

KidFated.,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
My experience mirrors kidfateds. I made sure there was no off gassing or vapor produced before loading any herbs in the chamber when new, Now after a year and a half it produces vapor with an empty chamber no matter how much i clean.

I don't feel or taste anything off though and believe it's just oils and residue built up somewhere.

I'm still gonna use mine anyways.

llamaman001

well. It doesent exactly have an off putting taste. Id think if it was plastic or something harmful it would make me cough or taste extremely nasty?

llamaman001,
Reactions: KidFated.

spyguy467

So I ordered a solo Saturday then found out yesterday they were out even tho the website says in stock, I was told they'd get the shipment today then received another delay til the 22nd of July, so I switched my order to a davinc

spyguy467,
Top Bottom