1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

David Goldstein's Fritted Disc

Discussion in 'Glass' started by MarcellusWiley, May 5, 2012.

1. Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel Well-Known Member

Awesome. I think I have a friend getting one of these. Too bad he isnt around here or Im sure I would be having a go at it
  2. MarcellusWiley

MarcellusWiley Dab Trotter

Awesome, surfer! a guy i saw on instagram has the mini and he says he loves it. I'm really excited to get my tube tomorrow! I'll have some vids and things later in the day.
    Silver420Surfer likes this.
  3. Frederick McGuire

Frederick McGuire Aggressively Loungey

I wonder how hard it would be for another blower to produce fritted disc stuff?
    I think it'd be the perfect thing to replace the screen/ice pinches in a LSV WPA :brow:
    Nycdeisel likes this.
  4. OhTheAgony

OhTheAgony here for the chicks

I think they are perfect screens period!

I would love a few of those anyways.

I found some larger ones here but they aren't cheap. I wonder if one of those could replace the ceramic VG filter as well, or would it get to hot and melt shut perhaps?

edit: out of stock, but another good use for anyone that's tired of using those unbleached coffee filters: click
    Bob Loblaw and Frederick McGuire like this.
  5. MarcellusWiley

out for delivery today! pics and maybe a vid later
    ogcook likes this.
  6. QuantumTimeSpace

QuantumTimeSpace Hashtronaut

These fritted disks are available pre-made for scientific glassblowing, and are used in industrial filter processes. They come in different sized pore openings, diameters, and with or without solid glass rings around them. I've had the link below bookmarked for a few years now. Wish I woulda gone ahead and made something when I thought about it, now someone else is doing it hehehe.

http://www.andrewsglass.com/specialty_04.tpl
    ilovebOObs and Frederick McGuire like this.
  7. ilovebOObs

ilovebOObs can i stick my male joint in there?

where are the videos at????? :D

interested in one of these pieces but i just hate those dam male joints. :/
    MarcellusWiley likes this.
  8. MarcellusWiley

Sorry Video incoming. Heres a set of pictures I made today. Received this bad boy yesterday and absolutely love it! Thick glass! has to be 7mm, nice thick hexagon base. and while the 350 full size (the one I bought below) does have a 24mm male joint, its thick and goes down to an 18mm at the inner part so a nail sits in. you can dab with it out of the box with an 18mm nail without the dome because the 24mm to 18mm female to female adapter works as a dome/globe, and makes it easy to drop bhombs! very nice setup well thought out. You can also cloud out of the box with the 18mm female joint with the adapter :D

my Fritted Disc album: http://imgur.com/a/765nY

sample pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---
    Video : Mango Budder Bhomb on the Highly Educated 18mm Concave Nail

9. smokum

smokum I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!

10. MarcellusWiley

Not entirely sure how small the "mini fritted disc" is because I haven't seen it, but it is a smaller, can style piece, probably closer to 12'' in height total. maybe it would work for you, still has the 18mm male joint though
  11. smokum

smokum I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!

Thanks for responding.....

I was just dreaming of that 'perfect' piece for ME, lol. I have a recent purchased Toro macro circ piece (4.5" tall can), and although I really like it it still doesn't allow what I'd prefer to be doing since its pretty free flowing and the stem ID is somewhat too large to achieve that.

The ultimate (again for me), would be something with a small ID mouthpiece tube that would create enough of a drag to bubble up with slight puffs (into the mouth, before inhale like I'm able to do with my Solo) to use with a vape attached or a nail with micro dabs ;) .

I've NEVER been able to direct lung hit in any sized 'bong' nor even a vape without coughing up a lung (I'm the laugh of the gang at session times :D )
  12. Frederick McGuire

Whats the drag like on it Marcellus?
    It looks like it would create a fair bit of drag, so I'm curious if that is the case?

Is it chuggy or purry (or something else :lol:)?

Does it seem to be staying clean easily?

I might be able to get a few custom pieces with fritted discs in them soon, still talking with the glassblower...
    the first item on the cards is a LSV WPA with a small fritted disc instead of a screen & ice pinches (effectively making the fritted disc a glass screen:D), and the second is a small, fritted disc diffused ash catcher :cool:

:evil:EDIT:
    Post 666 :lol:
  13. MarcellusWiley

I've personally found the drag to be minimal, compared to even say my mobius the drag is there but not really enough that it makes much of a difference. It is definitely a unique pull but feels more like a uniquely smooth purring, lots and lots of insanely small bubbles. I wouldn't really qualify it as drag though it doesn't make the piece very hard to pull at all, just takes a half a second for all the holes to fire and it goes like crazy.
  14. Frederick McGuire

Cool, thanks for the info :)
    Glad to hear there's not much drag.

That stacking looks insane :D
    MarcellusWiley likes this.
  15. MarcellusWiley

haha yea man if you are a "glasshead" like me (as I know you are) its definitely a great addition to the collection :)
    Frederick McGuire likes this.
  16. Frederick McGuire

Haha, I've been eyeing off that bubbler style one since I first saw the thread.

Once I sell off a few of my lesser used pieces, I'm sure one will make its way into the collection :lol:

P.S. that thing stacks like a beast even in a milkshot... Damn :cool:
  17. FLskwat

FLskwat VAPOLITICS!

Marcellus, I hate you... I had discovered that mini like 2 weeks ago, but your feedbacks on minimal drag was the trigger... Mini DG on his way! DAMN!
  18. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

19. tepictoton

tepictoton Well-Known Member

20. BigDaddyVapor

BigDaddyVapor @BigDogJunction

I was going to ask a local blower about it (he doesn't do scientific glass) and see if he can at least blow a stemless w/ fritted disc. Or maybe it will at least give him an idea, for something, or he can learn easy enough. Doesn't seem like a difficult process.

At this point, I can't see opening a shop for nothing but hand-blown non-perc beakers and tubes.
  21. Xchadb

Xchadb Meltin pipe Glass Blower

THANK YOU. God damn i think by now i should be able to walk into a glass shop and be able to mention percs\dabs\vapes and not get a retarded "wut?" look like im retarded.
    Nycdeisel and BigDaddyVapor like this.
  22. Highlight

Highlight Well-Known Member

Google "fritted gas wash bottle"

[​IMG]

The base is similar :p These are anywhere from $80 - $300. I'd like to see it in action lol.

[​IMG]
    ogcook and ilovebOObs like this.
  23. Highly Blunted

Highly Blunted noob

24. weedemon

weedemon enthusiast

the fritted disc, the glass screen of to future? VXL guys get on it! :) make an attachment that we can use instead of the elb that is all glass! ownage :)

awesome vid and catchy tune! i had to shazam it!
  25. Highly Blunted

Highly Blunted noob

Wish I could say it was my vid, heh. Glass Bastard has a lot of nice glass.
    Brloabkiens likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors