Daily smokers, why are you still buying China glass?

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
That it was ataxian..........as was Florida's gulf coast but sadly not so much these days I think they call it progress or some such shit.
:myday:
The song: BIG YELLOW TAXi = JONI MITCHELL
Is the time piece of CIVILIZATION

1970 while watching PACIFIC VIBRATIONS when POT was WEED & LIDS were VOUGE?

Cannabiker

I wish I'd found this list before I went out and dropped over a hundred bucks on a little bubbler:

https://brotherswithglass.com/blogs...bbler-dab-rig-or-hand-pipe-made-find-out-here

I'm in Oregon, so I was looking for local glass--there is plenty. But it was an emergency (when you need a bubbler...), so I wasn't feeling too picky. I found a piece from a Colorado company, and that felt good. I'd still be supporting artisan stoners in a legal-weed state. I don't mind that glass is pretty expensive as long as it goes to paying artists.

This piece seemed proud of its origin. It sports a Colorado flag, and the Denver area code is part of the company name--Glasslabs 303. When I said to the clerk, "I guess I don't have to ask where it's from," he said, "That's right, Colorado Certified," and he pointed to a small gold sticker I hadn't noticed.

I thought it was pretty cool that there was a certification program for cannabis industry products, so I Googled it. I found nothing. I think they made it up. And in the course of looking into that, I found the website above, which lists Glasslabs 303 as "admit to being imported". They sure don't admit it on the piece, and their website is silent on the topic. I've emailed them, so I'll see if they admit it to a customer.

I'm not a Make America Great Again nationalist. I don't care if iPhones are made in China. But to me the American glass industry--the whole cannabis industry--is a chance to make reparations to stoners who lived through the drug war. Glass blowers were on the forefront of the fight against prohibition--their business was civil disobedience. They deserve a respected place in the legitimized industry.

Meanwhile, blowers in China would be arrested for using the product.

I like my new bubbler, but I'm terribly disappointed to learn that the big pile of money I spent didn't go a renegade glass blower, it went to a marketer in a business suite.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I wish I'd found this list before I went out and dropped over a hundred bucks on a little bubbler:

https://brotherswithglass.com/blogs...bbler-dab-rig-or-hand-pipe-made-find-out-here

I'm in Oregon, so I was looking for local glass--there is plenty. But it was an emergency (when you need a bubbler...), so I wasn't feeling too picky. I found a piece from a Colorado company, and that felt good. I'd still be supporting artisan stoners in a legal-weed state. I don't mind that glass is pretty expensive as long as it goes to paying artists.

This piece seemed proud of its origin. It sports a Colorado flag, and the Denver area code is part of the company name--Glasslabs 303. When I said to the clerk, "I guess I don't have to ask where it's from," he said, "That's right, Colorado Certified," and he pointed to a small gold sticker I hadn't noticed.

I thought it was pretty cool that there was a certification program for cannabis industry products, so I Googled it. I found nothing. I think they made it up. And in the course of looking into that, I found the website above, which lists Glasslabs 303 as "admit to being imported". They sure don't admit it on the piece, and their website is silent on the topic. I've emailed them, so I'll see if they admit it to a customer.

I'm not a Make America Great Again nationalist. I don't care if iPhones are made in China. But to me the American glass industry--the whole cannabis industry--is a chance to make reparations to stoners who lived through the drug war. Glass blowers were on the forefront of the fight against prohibition--their business was civil disobedience. They deserve a respected place in the legitimized industry.

Meanwhile, blowers in China would be arrested for using the product.

I like my new bubbler, but I'm terribly disappointed to learn that the big pile of money I spent didn't go a renegade glass blower, it went to a marketer in a business suite.
CALIFORNIA GLASS CUSTOM MADE H2O pieces were my number 1
When they broke into piece’s when they hit the FLOOR?
My wife laughed at the money down the drain.
I buy cheap glass these dazes?

Oregon Glass BLOWER’S for mouth-piece’s.

arb

Semi shaved ape
CSC-0366.jpg

DSC-0371.jpg

Some slight flaws right................but so does the high priced glass when I look as close at it.
This makes me wonder about several things..........things I never see addressed by those who claim such poor quality and health concerns from it.
I sure wish someone would explain it in a way that actually makes sense and doesn't come across as someone afraid of competition.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
CSC-0366.jpg

DSC-0371.jpg

Some slight flaws right................but so does the high priced glass when I look as close at it.
This makes me wonder about several things..........things I never see addressed by those who claim such poor quality and health concerns from it.
I sure wish someone would explain it in a way that actually makes sense and doesn't come across as someone afraid of competition.

With the way we vape I don't think China glass is much of a health concern, especially clear glass. The issue in the past has been with lead based painted colors on the glass.

If you were smoking a pipe it would be a different story - I've seen videos of people showing this paint combusting when smoking from Chinese glass spoons and stuff, pretty crazy!

It's hard to beat China for cheap scientific stuff, but for more colored/technical glass art you can't beat American.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
CSC-0366.jpg

DSC-0371.jpg

How fun! I have two similar to the bottom one, but with just two honeycomb discs. One is clear, and I liked it so much I bought one in green. I think I wanted blue, but two is enough. Unless I need one with three discs...

arb

Semi shaved ape
With the way we vape I don't think China glass is much of a health concern, especially clear glass. The issue in the past has been with lead based painted colors on the glass.

If you were smoking a pipe it would be a different story - I've seen videos of people showing this paint combusting when smoking from Chinese glass spoons and stuff, pretty crazy!

It's hard to beat China for cheap scientific stuff, but for more colored/technical glass art you can't beat American.

Got that........no painted glass!!!
I prefer the clear myself so works out ok...........but what about American painted glass?
I had assumed the pigments were in the glass itself I doubt I would smoke out of anything painted........if I still smoked.
How fun! I have two similar to the bottom one, but with just two honeycomb discs. One is clear, and I liked it so much I bought one in green. I think I wanted blue, but two is enough. Unless I need one with three discs...

I like that one it is my second fave after the stereo matrix........I am finding I don't know until I try them if I like them which works out well for everybody........lolz.
Seriously we have been buying just to see and gifting or reselling what we do not like and now mrs.arb wants to start selling them online.
She says she will do it.......import,inspect and ship for $25.00 above cost.
I am trying to talk her down but she is getting more enthused each time she brings it up.......lolz.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Got that........no painted glass!!!
I prefer the clear myself so works out ok...........but what about American painted glass?
I had assumed the pigments were in the glass itself I doubt I would smoke out of anything painted........if I still smoked.

I like that one it is my second fave after the stereo matrix........I am finding I don't know until I try them if I like them which works out well for everybody........lolz.
Seriously we have been buying just to see and gifting or reselling what we do not like and now mrs.arb wants to start selling them online.
She says she will do it.......import,inspect and ship for $25.00 above cost.
I am trying to talk her down but she is getting more enthused each time she brings it up.......lolz.
Mrs.arb sounds like a go-getter. I like her. The online shops start somehow...
I like the double honeycomb, but I might have gotten the second one because of color + sale. Sounds superficial, but I may have been stoned...
I'm useless at selling and reselling. Buying I can do. Actually, I might be gifted in that area, but it sounds immodest to say so...
Having a backup is nice. If I have guests, there is less worry about breaking a favorite piece, but I'm still sharing something I like, so I don't feel bad. I have cats, so there is less concern about breakage when they rampage. Heck, I should have backups of them all! And at these prices, it's affordable!
Time to lie down with a cold compress on my head. I am over enthused.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
@Cannabiker thanks for the post. This really pisses me off. I have a GlassLab 303 rig that I love, but I too thought I was supporting US production. That being said, I own a great DH Gate rig. I only buy clear glass though.

If yo are in Southern Oregon, Smoking Deals in Medford has a glass studio where artists make all their pieces and will make custom pieces for you.

Chinese glass has a legitimate place in the industry. Not everyone can afford $100+ dollar rigs.

vv7jdp0zadmom86m.jpg

GlassLab 303 (apparently Chinese) DH Gate (definitely Chinese)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Canada? Please do tell. Everything that I see from Planetvape is from China. If there are any affordable Canadian glass blowers that can match the quality and price from China, i'm all ears! Pretty sure all the head shops do here is RESELL China glass at ABSURD markups.

You didn't know that the US/Canada was the centre of the universe?? :hmm::p
I’m pro EUROPE!
From CALIFORNIA!
Don’t hold it against me?
We don’t choose our birth place?
@VapourHaze what disease do you have?
Earth is very tiny!

ClearBlueLou

unbearably light in the being....
Something tells me this is the new “tipping argument”....

I come from an artistic family - and an engineering family.
That means I have a foot in both camps.

I understand the value of art, I recognize the quality of art, and when I can I have no problem paying for art. That said, I also understand the value of technical/technological innovation and improvement, I appreciate the application of said improvements, and when I can I will pay for those innovations.

Th problem for me is when the only real innovations in form or function are being made by artists - who then charge art prices for a desirable tech change that I would gladly pay for - without the surcharge. Not all art is art I’d buy...in fact, *most* art is art I can’t afford to even consider buying, and THAT’s not a value judgment.

I have not bought glass from China. I have bought Chinese glass. I have a piece, my first ever, and I hate it ($80 - oops) and never use it because it’s impossible to clean and I don’t like it. The only other I have is a dab rig. It, I like: it’s solid and very well made, and works great. Both together cost ~150us.

If I’m ever in a position to afford to buy and display art, there are glass workers on my list.

I think it would be very smart for glass designers to patent or register their technical innovations: licensing them to other makers (China) would allow artists a more comfortable living, and allow innovation to spread normally.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Something tells me this is the new “tipping argument”....

I come from an artistic family - and an engineering family.
That means I have a foot in both camps.

I understand the value of art, I recognize the quality of art, and when I can I have no problem paying for art. That said, I also understand the value of technical/technological innovation and improvement, I appreciate the application of said improvements, and when I can I will pay for those innovations.

Th problem for me is when the only real innovations in form or function are being made by artists - who then charge art prices for a desirable tech change that I would gladly pay for - without the surcharge. Not all art is art I’d buy...in fact, *most* art is art I can’t afford to even consider buying, and THAT’s not a value judgment.

I have not bought glass from China. I have bought Chinese glass. I have a piece, my first ever, and I hate it ($80 - oops) and never use it because it’s impossible to clean and I don’t like it. The only other I have is a dab rig. It, I like: it’s solid and very well made, and works great. Both together cost ~150us.

If I’m ever in a position to afford to buy and display art, there are glass workers on my list.

I think it would be very smart for glass designers to patent or register their technical innovations: licensing them to other makers (China) would allow artists a more comfortable living, and allow innovation to spread normally.
Normal for who?

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Art sits on the shelf and is admired for its existance..........tools need to perform a function?
...and some tools are more attractive than others? This was brought home to me at Home Depot recently, when I was shopping for a snake for a drain. The orange was much nicer than the grey, so a choice was made to buy one or the other, and it probably wasn't based on looks. I don't actually know which one Madri-Guy selected, as I wandered off to look at spray paint, but the orange was nicer. Most likely made in China, both of them.
I find most glass attractive. I'm not going to argue it's art, but I enjoy looking at it. I admire art glass when I see it in the shops, in the nice case with the good lighting. I sigh, and ache and long for, then go buy whatever I came for. Except for the purchase part, I'm pretty much the same at museums. Being Super Classy, I like the nice stuff. I just don't want to be holding it stoned. Or medicated. Either, or both. I'm kind of jumpy with the cheapo glass too, because I love it so much. I'm just more willing to risk heartache and disappointment with the less expensive glass. When it breaks, I don't feel I overpaid for the tears.
I also like buying backups for super favorites, but this only works if they are super cheap. I have no doubt that there is a certain special, fuzzy feeling when you buy nice art glass. The full heart that makes it worth the empty wallet. It sounds great and all, but what I love more than almost anything is A Great Deal. If you can throw coupons and a discount code at it, I'm in heaven. Buy One Get One is cat nip to me. My eyes get bigger, my heart beats faster, my hands tremble, and all of the desire of wanting is satisfied at that moment of purchase when the price has moved closer to zero than I ever dared hope. Every single time I use A Good Deal or better, I get a bit of that thrill and tingle. :o :drool: :2c:
@arb, you say things and I get carried away ! You have awesome Word Powers !

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
Woah, dude! You completely misunderstood the joke, which doesn't surprise me considering that was from the spring of last year?

I've been to Europe and California, and love BOTH! :tup:
Please forgive my inordinate behavior?
I love CALIFORNIA!
I also love EUROPE!

My youngest is getting her MASTERS in FRANCE.
I see the PALE BLUE DOT without GEOGRAPHIC BORDERS?

CANNABIS is very safe!
My GLASS is the best tool for me?
I don’t care really!
Just want to live?

arb

Semi shaved ape
...and some tools are more attractive than others? This was brought home to me at Home Depot recently, when I was shopping for a snake for a drain. The orange was much nicer than the grey, so a choice was made to buy one or the other, and it probably wasn't based on looks. I don't actually know which one Madri-Guy selected, as I wandered off to look at spray paint, but the orange was nicer. Most likely made in China, both of them.
I find most glass attractive. I'm not going to argue it's art, but I enjoy looking at it. I admire art glass when I see it in the shops, in the nice case with the good lighting. I sigh, and ache and long for, then go buy whatever I came for. Except for the purchase part, I'm pretty much the same at museums. Being Super Classy, I like the nice stuff. I just don't want to be holding it stoned. Or medicated. Either, or both. I'm kind of jumpy with the cheapo glass too, because I love it so much. I'm just more willing to risk heartache and disappointment with the less expensive glass. When it breaks, I don't feel I overpaid for the tears.
I also like buying backups for super favorites, but this only works if they are super cheap. I have no doubt that there is a certain special, fuzzy feeling when you buy nice art glass. The full heart that makes it worth the empty wallet. It sounds great and all, but what I love more than almost anything is A Great Deal. If you can throw coupons and a discount code at it, I'm in heaven. Buy One Get One is cat nip to me. My eyes get bigger, my heart beats faster, my hands tremble, and all of the desire of wanting is satisfied at that moment of purchase when the price has moved closer to zero than I ever dared hope. Every single time I use A Good Deal or better, I get a bit of that thrill and tingle. :o :drool: :2c:
@arb, you say things and I get carried away ! You have awesome Word Powers !

Now that I have you under my speeeel...............lolz.
I tell you along with sharing your love of discounts and sales........bogo will make me lose my mind but the other thing is stickers.
Not already stuck on stickers but stickers I can stick myself.........I love me some stickers.
:brow:

Top Bottom