Dabstorm Ceramic Dab Pen

UnshavenFish

Just won the contest, how do you keep this clean? Would a q tip in ISO or a really good cleaner like Randy's Black Label work?

ISO can damage the finish on the outside of the atty, so can be used but be careful, I tried once using ISO just putting a few drops in but it all came out the bottom within seconds lol.

now I just crank the power and burn it clean, works wonders :tup:

UnshavenFish,
Reactions: mikeben

vapeape77

Time to give a first impression
WOW Dabstorm killer and the big boy oh my! I've been taking fresh dab hits walking my dog in the afternoon with Dabstorm set to 4.8v, smooth tasty puffs on par with the taste I get from "juju" e-joints. Then at night I pull out the big boy and work the settings from 5.2 6 and 6.8 with a bubbler. Very impressed with these donut attys , have two in action with no issues.

So a few modifications I made. First I cut the case the Dabstorm came in to fit the big boy and extra tube for smelly in use atty. here is the setup

http://imgur.com/qUlbZkV

Next I was pleased that I can fit the Dabstorm and atty with glass mouthpiece in 2 dube tubes for my walks to keep em safe and sealed

http://imgur.com/dmtalaM

Today I modified the glass mouthpiece to work with a 14mm bubbler, I cut a silicon cap and then worked it over the mouthpiece, perfect seal with no glass on glass crime

http://imgur.com/quGD0mq

The only thing I can think of to improve the Dabstorm would be some type of dome cap over atty to reduce splat and keep reclaim contained. Very pleased overall the few days I've been working this complete set. Also two thumbs up on the fast shipping to the States.

Cheers all

Last edited:

mikeben

Got my contest winnings in the mail today! Will be trying this out with the big boy and donut. Want a few nice dabs tonight, just wish I started charging it earlier.

Alright did a few dabs and now can talk semi intelligently on this guy. I do admit I only tried the donut on the Big Boy battery. I must not have charged it enough as though it got through the first session fine, it didn't nearly finish the burn off after my second. Maybe one high voltage session is all it can take? I'm not sure what the colors mean while charging as my Big Boy came as part of a wonderful prize package, but it didn't mention the lighting charge colors.

Anyways apart from the battery issue, I did like my first go round. It kind of hit like a nail at about 21 and I got two or three nice hits and it faded. I then did a burn off and it was clean. I tried using the dabbing tool it came with but it seemed to melt my wax quicker than my SCS. I had trouble getting a dab to go all the way down inside the donut but getting wax or oil where you want it is always a problem. My second session the battery was working, than not, than it was. I tried a lower power session on 7 and it was nice flavor wise but it too went fast. Tried it up to 20 wouldn't work, went down to 15, it worked but nothing was left of the wax flavor wise so it did briefly began the burn off at 30 but then the battery cashed in.

So I will try again once I know the battery is fully charged to try a low hit session and see if more than 3 or so hits can be slowly brought out, or if this is a one or two hitter whatever level you do it. Whichever way I hope the battery will prove to be better next time as small is supposed to be 50 or so hits. The BB should be a lot more and I think a burn off is going to be the only way to really clean this guy and without the BB I cannot do one.

So when the battery was with me, yes this is a very good oil device for it's price range. Have I gotten better instant wax results with my higher priced vapes, yes. However I think there is a learning curve on this one that will be worth my time to figure out. I bought a bubbler mouthpiece for this pen that just might take it up another level for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
mikeben,

vapeape77

Got my contest winnings in the mail today! Will be trying this out with the big boy and donut. Want a few nice dabs tonight, just wish I started charging it earlier.

Alright did a few dabs and now can talk semi intelligently on this guy. I do admit I only tried the donut on the Big Boy battery. I must not have charged it enough as though it got through the first session fine, it didn't nearly finish the burn off after my second. Maybe one high voltage session is all it can take? I'm not sure what the colors mean while charging as my Big Boy came as part of a wonderful prize package, but it didn't mention the lighting charge colors.

I think the flashing red light is either saying it over heated, I wouldn't hold to button longer than 9 seconds.

Anyways apart from the battery issue, I did like my first go round. It kind of hit like a nail at about 21 and I got two or three nice hits and it faded. I then did a burn off and it was clean. I tried using the dabbing tool it came with but it seemed to melt my wax quicker than my SCS. I had trouble getting a dab to go all the way down inside the donut but getting wax or oil where you want it is always a problem. My second session the battery was working, than not, than it was. I tried a lower power session on 7 and it was nice flavor wise but it too went fast. Tried it up to 20 wouldn't work, went down to 15, it worked but nothing was left of the wax flavor wise so it did briefly began the burn off at 30 but then the battery cashed in.

So I will try again once I know the battery is fully charged to try a low hit session and see if more than 3 or so hits can be slowly brought out, or if this is a one or two hitter whatever level you do it. Whichever way I hope the battery will prove to be better next time as small is supposed to be 50 or so hits. The BB should be a lot more and I think a burn off is going to be the only way to really clean this guy and without the BB I cannot do one.

So when the battery was with me, yes this is a very good oil device for it's price range. Have I gotten better instant wax results with my higher priced vapes, yes. However I think there is a learning curve on this one that will be worth my time to figure out. I bought a bubbler mouthpiece for this pen that just might take it up another level for me.

Yeah I've noticed I'm charging the big boy ever couple days. I think cranking the big boy over 20w really uses it up. I'm still loving running it from low to high , couple tasty hits 11w, a few then at 15 and 21, and finish bowl at 27. I've been burning off material at 30w for 8 seconds 3x after filling it about 3x, don't want to overdo the burn offs since it seems the donut will get used up faster

I think the flashing red light is either you overheated it by holding button longer than 10 seconds or a warning the battery is too low.

I'm still learning, but finally hit my spot with this new bubbler setup after a fresh burn off. Bought a glass angled adapter so Dabstorm stays upright. Also I've be using the Dabstorm bubbler while grilling and such, best one hand setup for sure to get me where I want to be!

http://imgur.com/VFLKz3d

Last edited:
vapeape77,
Reactions: mikeben

mikeben

So you got about six or seven hits and did three burn offs. I'll try those temps. Bubbler was a good add on I just bought? I think it will be. Just wish battery was a bit tougher it's so big!

mikeben,

vapeape77

So you got about six or seven hits and did three burn offs. I'll try those temps. Bubbler was a good add on I just bought? I think it will be. Just wish battery was a bit tougher it's so big!
I actually do 3 full sessions, I don't count the number of hits but can and get back.... Add about .1 gm wax 3x, so guess I'm doing burn off after using about 1/4 gm. It's pretty obvious to me when it is needed based on taste and black build on donut. I do hit it at 30w several times before burn off. Then I burn that crap off, usually most all is gone by third 8 second burn

Edit
Ok I just did the burn off. Hit it 10 times with bubbler at 30w, not very good but needed.... Then did 4 7 second burn offs, blowing at the small outer side base air holes when donut starts glowing. Waited 30 seconds between burns. Seems all good to go for the weekend!

Last edited:
vapeape77,

vapeape77

@mikeben getting back with ya on number of hits between burn offs, I counted two of my three .1 gm wax bubbler sessions. I took 5 second draws mostly totaling 16-20 hits each session, 2-3 hits at 11w then 3 at 15w for tasty hold em in euphoric hits with small clouds. Then a bit later I hits those big boy levels, 3-4 hits at 21w (taste fading) and last 8-10 pulls at 27w with big clouds but reduced taste and affect. So its averaging about 50-60 total hits between donut burn offs for me, plus the 10 pulls I do at 30w before burn. Anyway we will just have to keep learning new tricks as we go....

vapeape77,

mikeben

I managed to get a bit right inside the donut cleanly, but a very small bit. I got three nice hits at different temps. One at 7, then at 11, than at 17. By the time I hit 21 it was dissipated, than at 27 it was all but gone. Only needed one 30 burn off and it was clean. All in all a pretty nice wax pen. I see no need to try the coil. I don't want to get it dirty and it looks vey fragile. Will be trying some hi temps again once I get the bubbler.

mikeben,

VapeFiend.com

Retailer
I managed to get a bit right inside the donut cleanly, but a very small bit. I got three nice hits at different temps. One at 7, then at 11, than at 17. By the time I hit 21 it was dissipated, than at 27 it was all but gone. Only needed one 30 burn off and it was clean. All in all a pretty nice wax pen. I see no need to try the coil. I don't want to get it dirty and it looks vey fragile. Will be trying some hi temps again once I get the bubbler.

Thanks so much for your feedback mikeben.. personally I find I get better hits if I load the wax onto the donut, not down in the centre. The donut itself is the heating element, so while the whole chamber does heat up, the majority of the heat is focused on the donut itself.

mikeben

Thanks so much for your feedback mikeben.. personally I find I get better hits if I load the wax onto the donut, not down in the centre. The donut itself is the heating element, so while the whole chamber does heat up, the majority of the heat is focused on the donut itself.
I got it into the donut part, sorry if I wasn't clear.

mikeben,

vapeape77

Another cleaning update for ya Dabstorm fans. After running about 2 gms of wax and around 10 burn offs, I noticed it was time to do a deep clean on the donut atty as taste was poor. I did a final burn off and then placed the atty in 70% iso upside down submerged just shy of the side air holes for about 6 hours. I gently wiped the blackened area even hour during the soak. I let it dry upside down for a day. The atty turned out pretty good, just tasted some fresh blue dream and the berry flavor really gave a punch. Also the outer finish is still all black after the soak.

One other thing, I've placed silicone ecig caps on all the glass mouthpieces for added
protection and also used a back rubber O ring from my mflb to fit around the end of the smaller pen to help it balance and not tip and break the glass. After recently breaking another glass piece, man got to be careful

Last edited:
vapeape77,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Thanks for the tip @vapeape77 . I haven't found the necessity to go to the extreme of using ISO on mine. I do a burn off as soon as I see the donut starting to blacken. So far, it's gone back to it's original 'white' color afterwards without having to do anything else.

Gotta say, I'm loving this pen.

momofthegoons,

vapeape77

Thanks for the tip @vapeape77 . I haven't found the necessity to go to the extreme of using ISO on mine. I do a burn off as soon as I see the donut starting to blacken. So far, it's gone back to it's original 'white' color afterwards without having to do anything else.

Gotta say, I'm loving this pen.

Yep seems this pen is a hit with all, checkout the smarthead YouTube review, that guy has to be the coolest stoner ever!

Philreal187

I was lucky enough to be one of the winners selected for @VapeFiend.com contest!!!

D9gdRa8.jpg

I don't have access to any concentrates so I thought this was a great opportunity to try out legal CBD oil.

This is how I have been using these pens daily.

jQbvR9O.jpg

I have been mixing strawberry cheese cake non nicotine e liquid with the cbd oil I found at a lhs. I really enjoy this while driving into work or on the ride home. This is something that helps keep my mood mellow and anxiety low.

If I ever come across come concentrates I will be sure to report back as dabstorm will be my first choice for using it with.

Thank you very much @VapeFiend.com for sending such a generous prize!!

PPN

Volute of Vapor
If you have access to flowers, concentrates are not too difficult/expensive to made, bho, qwiso & rosin don't need a lot of time also. Since you get a good vaporizer for concentrates it's time to make your own!

Now i'm using my donut atty only with the big boy battery at +5v and I get awesome hits, honnestly the small battery is a bit underpowered, especially for the donut, but even for the single coil the difference between the 2 batteries is impressive, is it sub-ohm(big boy)?

The single coil taste as good as my kiss cart and a lot better than my Dabbler, i like it at home for big hits with a WT (when i can't use my e-nail) and the donut+big boy is in my car cause the ability to load a bit more (àla sr-74).

I liked the glass mp cause I can pop it off for reload....but I can't manage to reload correctly cause the deeper place of the coil (cause the threaded part with o-rings which surrounds the atty...sorry for my poor english and explanations...) although it's better for me than glass globe attys, I prefer the sleek design of the dabstorm glass mp!

mikeben

Got my bubbler and it made quite a difference. I enjoyed my session a lot more and using the VapeXhale honey bun dabber I was able to get a couple of nice dabs of shatter in the donut. Because this was glass I was able to see when it was spent. Set my Big Boy at 11 watts and got about 8 good hits and two coughers. The first three were magnificent, best ever from a pen. Burn off was about five times and it did a very good job. Like this pen more then I thought I did.

Only thing about the mouthpieces for the Storm and Dabstorm is that the metal bottom comes off very easy. They screw back on tight easy enough, but I wish they would be molded on better. The glass and (especially) the bubblers ARE great mouth pieces though.

vapeape77

Now I'm getting better results at lower settings the more i use this pen. I'm just running it from 7w (3.3v) to 16w(4.9v) with the sweet spot at 11w with nice clouds. Not sure if I'm hitting it longer than before but no need to crank the big boy now for satisfying clouds. Probably better on my throat dabbing at lower temps. I keep my herb units running low from 165c to 185c, no idea what temps we are running on this pen for oil but I tend to feel it in my throat above 210c.

zft

have run 7g of fullmelt though the Dabstorm over the last month so i've been quite happy that i ordered a second one,
the glass and atomizers might be a bit fragile the 2 glass mp and 1 water broke where they sit on the o rings I now use a e-nano gong for a mp the 18mm end fit perfectly

BUT .... now my Dabstorm seems to be dead? it started flashing 4-5 times (white) when i press
so I tried new atomizer, clean contact unit that powers the atomizer, full charging through 2.0 usb port on my pc nothing then i tried a 3.0 port nothing then tried other combinations of charging to no effect
after a few days i've decided it's not going to start working so...any ideas?

zft,

vapeape77

have run 7g of fullmelt though the Dabstorm over the last month so i've been quite happy that i ordered a second one,
the glass and atomizers might be a bit fragile the 2 glass mp and 1 water broke where they sit on the o rings I now use a e-nano gong for a mp the 18mm end fit perfectly

BUT .... now my Dabstorm seems to be dead? it started flashing 4-5 times (white) when i press
so I tried new atomizer, clean contact unit that powers the atomizer, full charging through 2.0 usb port on my pc nothing then i tried a 3.0 port nothing then tried other combinations of charging to no effect
after a few days i've decided it's not going to start working so...any ideas?

Contact em on the help page of their website, quick response for me. I am also having some issues.

vapeape77,
Have some issues with the Big Boy battery as well.
I ordered the kit as well, but mostly i was going for the variable bigger Big Boy battery.
Sadly it only fired up the coil atty once(on 6 watts) then burned that out(on 8 watts, supposed to be good staying under 15 watts), didn't want to light the ceramic donut atty at all(keeps flashing green) and burned out a Dr. Dabber atty at only 3 watts(lowest setting, i know these aren't meant for variable batteries, but feel that should have been able to handle 2.9 volts(3 watts).
Now have the option of sending back the Big Boy to the UK, which would cost me an additional €13,- at least(€14,65 if i sent it with the requested signed for delivery option), not sure if i'm that willing to possibly throwing good money after bad so to say... :(
The ceramic donut atty does work with the smaller variable battery in the kit and as such isn't a bad little pen at all, it's just i was mostly shopping for a bigger battery.

Havelock Vetenari,
Update on above(please feel free to merge mods, my edit time hadlapsed sadly):
They very kindly offered to reimburse my shippingcosts, so i'm returning mine and hopefully i will be trying a working Big Boy in a while.:)
Customer service from vapefiend.com is good at least!
:rockon:

Last edited:
Top Bottom