Dabpress Rosin Plates

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I had to wait until everyone went to bed, but I just fired up my bj6t35 for the first time and had a blast with it.

It was a modest test run of just one .5g bud. but it ended real well and I'm very pleased with my purchase.

One click of a switch and she warms up and is ready to go in no time. I even managed to up the temps from the 190 default to 195F for both plates. @psychonaut gave me some tips on how to apply pressure. I got to just before it felt like the pump was going to bottom out and stopped.

After 2 min, I had a big spread of rosin around the bud, just like it looks on all those youtube videos. It was like magic. I was as giddy as a schoolboy. I was afraid I'd have some lackluster result because of some dumb noob mistake, but sure as shit, I had rubbed up a fat glob of rosin on my dab tool. I even did a second press.

I remembered that folks like to set the pressed paper on something cold when using the dab tool, so I tried that. My room temp might be cooler than most others because even without chilling, the rosin flaked off the paper like rock dust. I had to rest the paper on the bottom plate for a few seconds to warm and soften the rosin so it would stick to the dabber.

I just wrapped some of that homemade Blue Dream rosin in organic cotton and vaped away with my trusty nano ;). It was the BEST tasting concentrate I've ever had. The taste was like the aroma times ten.

I still got a lot of practicing to do. Thanks Dabpress!

P.S. Is it bad to press until the pump is at max and won't go any further?

Last edited:

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
Pressed some strawberry banana yesterday that is out of this world. Right around 25% return. I pressed it at 198F for about 3 mintes.
3pJRxIE.jpg

MonkeyTime

Hey all, been a while since I dropped in and spoke, much less praised the great 3x5 caged I love.

I've been slow to press a lot, I did early trying to learn and then had enough to hold me over while I learned different methods to enjoy it :science:

I still think I'm pressing a bit hard, but I've a lot of a routine I like, just needs a little fine tuning.

It'll be 5g presses moving forward. It fits perfectly into a bag cut in half. I've been using up my fluff Think Big, which consistently gives me 12-14% returns depending on the fluff and other variables I've played with.

185F for 3 min building up the pressure over the first min to 1500lbs on the gauge. Truth is I haven't done the calculation because I haven't looked up the cylinder size, call me a lazy stoner sometimes :razz:

Another part of my routine has been to pre-form my favorite 5"x5" Raw papers. They're precut so I can grab and go. I'll be 3D printing a jig to form them eventually, just haven't drawn it up yet. You can kind of see whats left of the creases in the pic. If I can get a proof of concept and then a working prototype, maybe I can send it over their way and they could work up a nicer, durable version if there was interest for sales?

I throw them both in, and drop the ram until I have just enough to squeeze in bagged puck, which doesn't spring open then. A moment or two preheat here and then I compress it to about 50% size for a 1 min. Then I start dropping the ram slowly until we're about 1/3 the original size and then I start my timer. The in the first min I go real slow to continue the soak and 30 seconds in the gauge starts to move.

At about the 1 min mark I'm at 1500lbs where it sits for the remainder of the 3 min.

Then it's off the heat, the puck goes into a mason jar the two sheets get pressed together. I don't scrape anymore, I find it tedious and slow. Pressing them together between my hands I can get most of it onto one sheet and from there I continue pressing until its all on one. Then I work it on that sheet to form it.

At this temp, I consistently get a nice crumbly-waxy result. It's fairly easy to work with, but.....

Most of mine I've now been decarbing in my Nova. I understand I'm losing some terps, but again, it gives me a very consistent, sticky, but workable texture. I've also started using silicone tipped tools. This combination has improved the one area this noob really disliked, the sticky mess.

As a self admitted noob in this area, I'm open to comments, criticisms and advice on how to improve anything above. I really haven't searched beyond FC for info, other strains like GSC have given me mid-to-upper 20% returns, so I didn't feel the need!

Love the caged set, love the pre-press, forgot the model, but I think it's 30mm and I still use the bamboo storage set I got as a gift. That includes the silicone, which after trying glass feels like a no brainer. While I see a lot of concern talked about with silicone and storage. I can't say I've seen anyone mention proven health tests. Again, very early in my learning here, and haven't spent a lot of time looking, but....... the convenience has been proven.

Thanks to all who have shown the way and Dabpress for the equipment!

MonkeyTime

So when someone says they pressed for 2 minutes, if there a general default start time or is this relative to each person? I started the timer after about 90% compression, but I could have begun when the buds first started to compress.

I've often wondered the same thing, that's why I included that detail. Then you can put it into perspective no mater how you time yours.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I used to start my timer when the puck is mostly squished but not quite oozing out any rosin. Now I start it when I begin closing the plates. I do like to take about 30 seconds to compress the puck and the remainder of time under optimal pressure. I usually press at 200F for 2 mins, I do like to watch the flow though and extend the pressing time if it looks like it could use it.

LongDraw

HI everyone. Just wanted to give a final update.

My pump started working, but i was getting any readings when attached and pumping. Thankfully psychonaut was able to let me know pressure only reads when it is starting apply pressure to something, makes sense i'm just slow haha.

Did my first press today, got back about 11% on 1.2 grams, which isn't bad. This is older stuff, but kept at 62% humidity. Haven't been able to taste it yet, but it came out shattery and very dark. I went a little crazy on the pressure for my first attempt, gauge read around 2000. I know to back that down by about half on my next experiment. Plus, it started to tear the parchment paper and i had picked up the renyolds so should be decent quality paper.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for help when i was having issue, and this set up is def worth the money. My only con would be the amount of space needed due to the external pump. Otherwise, it is a very quaity looking/performing piece!

EDIT: Forgot, so i am going to save my pucks and used bags and do an alcohol wash down the road. HOw long do people wash with ethanol? I had read it shouldn't for to long so it doesn't pick up chlorophyl and all that. Thanks.

jracerx

Nice. Never occurred to me to play around with some post processing on the warm plates.

What kind of consistency are you getting leaving them to warm on the plates?
Kind of like butter-cream icing.
Soft, but keeps it shape - until it gets near heat.
Easy to scoop out of the container.

I place it on the plates after the run, and then turn the plates off.
Make sure your container is not more than 3/4 full, some strains will puff up.

anda1anda2

Right on. Some of the jar tech stuff seemed too involved for me, but letting rosin warm on the plates after the press seems easy enough and worth some experimenting.

JCat

Accessory Maker
I gotta say ... love the driptech ... doing 5g-10g bottletech presses, placing the pucks maybe 1/2” back from the front, getting about 50% dripping away usually I figure. Definitely makes a difference in colour although maybe not in quality. What drips is always quite a bit lighter :)

Thanks @psychonaut for the advice :)

anda1anda2

I gotta say ... love the driptech ... doing 5g-10g bottletech presses, placing the pucks maybe 1/2” back from the front, getting about 50% dripping away usually I figure. Definitely makes a difference in colour although maybe not in quality. What drips is always quite a bit lighter :)

Thanks @psychonaut for the advice :)
I am working under the assumption the rosin that drips has the best chance at terpene retention. As you said, I also notice it’s a hair lighter than what stays on the plates.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I find this interesting too. I have one strain that turns to brittle shatter after pressing.

How long do you leave it sit after turning off the press? Loss of terps and flavor at all?

I am intrigued by the phase changes of concentrates due to temps and also time. A few months ago I had some pull and snap that turned to hard shatter which made it difficult to use. Then, a few weeks later, it turned into a soft wax resembling maple sugar. Now it's easy to scoop and use. I'm trying to think if I ever heated it up.

Another strain that I have been pressing remains in a syrupy state and won't hold its shape unless cooled. I wonder if I try to whip it with a dab tool or warm it and cool it again.

Top Bottom