1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Dabpress Rosin Plates

Discussion in 'Vapor Related Equipment' started by dabpress.com, Jan 19, 2018.

1. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

@anda1anda2 I'll share these pictures with Roger. My gut tells me this is a combination of where the load is located on the plates and pressure being delivered on the smaller plates. I run my pucks about 1/4" in from the edge of the front plate on my 3x5" plates and don't see this, at least I've never noticed it before? I know there is a little bit of wiggle room in the pillars and linear bearings by design for smooth opening and closing of the plates.

For the time being, I agree with @Hackerman move the load closer in on the plates. You should still get gushing out the front, and a slight tilt should encourage the rosin to get off the plates if it takes a bit longer to start the flow.

2. anda1anda2

anda1anda2 Well-Known Member

Great. That makes sense. I’m going to keep playing around with different positioning and will post more results.

My last several presses have been averaging around 20% yield so I’m definitely getting very acceptable end results.

psychonaut and LesPlenty like this.
  3. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I would simply expect that sort of misalignment with off center loads... It will never close as square as a centered load.

I go full center, I'm also pressing on the very low end at 165.

4. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

Our 25pc 2.5x4.5" 160u filters are now up on Amazon, these pair to the pm40r 40mm cylinder pre-press mold for 10-14g buds.

https://smile.amazon.com/2-5x4-5-Micron-Package-dp-pm40r-PrePress/dp/B07N3QKK8S

[​IMG]

Also, I got my quick couplers from summit hydraulics, they look very nice, prompt first-class usps shipping. A bit longer in length than what we use on our press, but cheap at $18 with free shipping. Useful if you build a quick coupler gauge kit to move between pumps.

https://summit-hydraulics.com/product/1-4-10000-psi-high-pressure-hydraulic-quick-coupler-set/

[​IMG]

5. jracerx

jracerx New Member

Hows your yield at 165f ?

I tried 180 and my yield drop to 1/4.
    Great taste though!

6. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Sorry I've not posted much detail... Been stuck at hospital most of the last week.

My returns are fabulous, I'm consistently yielding 22% with AK and nearer 30% on some super frosty Grease monkey.

Not much to it really, but I take my time very slowly building pressure until I get "on the gauge". This allows for a proper heat soak and for lack of better words, primes the puck for pressing.

Once the real squash begins, I am still real slow to apply pressure. A little bit every 20-30 seconds. I will spend anywhere from 3-5 mins on the squash but find myself leaning towards shorter end of that range on my last presses.

Bringing the pressure too fast really can darken the yield considerably, slow and sweet for the gold.

I've also stopped trying to rush a press. I used to flip the switch and press once it reached the desired temps. Now I let my plates heat up for an hour or so, then I press. Not sure if it makes a considerable difference or not, but I feel this change has provided more consistent results.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Alexis, LesPlenty, Hogni and 2 others like this.
  7. maxvapor710

maxvapor710 Manufacturer

@FlyingLow curious if you have checked the actual temp of your plates with an infrared gun or anything similar? I haven't had any luck pressing flower that low, I am typically between 190 - 210 depending on strain.

LesPlenty, psychonaut and MonkeyTime like this.
  8. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

I've not calibrated against anything, just reading the pid numbers. I've got an ir gun and will confirm temps when I get home (hopefully tonight).

LesPlenty and psychonaut like this.
  9. maxvapor710

maxvapor710 Manufacturer

@FlyingLow here is our 10t35v with both PIDs set to 210F after sitting for about an hour, you can see the top plate has quite a bit of heat soak

[​IMG]

10. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

Awesome pic! What kinda infra red can you using? I really want one for my aerial photography work.

ataxian, LesPlenty and psychonaut like this.
  11. maxvapor710

maxvapor710 Manufacturer

We have a few different ones that are calibrated for different temperature ranges, that particular photo was done with a (relatively) cheap iPhone attached one the CompactPRO from Seek

https://www.thermal.com/compact-series.html

LesPlenty, Hogni and psychonaut like this.
  12. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

One note here on these fittings, they thread on our 1/4" NPT compatible hoses and pumps, but they are not the same size coupling pair as what's used on our press. So if you do buy these, you'll need to make sure that you have the appropriate pair of couplers in your hosing so all the parts couple together.

i.e. Press cylinder -> dabpress female coupler -> dabpress male coupler -> gauge kit -> summit female coupler -> summit male coupler -> hydraulic hose -> hydraulic pump.

* This is only concerning to rosineers who are building their own "quick coupler" gauge adapter to move between various pumps, like this

[​IMG]

ataxian likes this.
  13. LesPlenty

LesPlenty Well-Known Member

psychonaut, pxl_jockey and ataxian like this.
  14. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

We'll see what can be done! It's a tough pricepoint to beat the strongway at $63 USD. Granted they've been in and out of stock for the past couple of months =/

A lot of what I am posting about these fittings/adapters/etc is to try and throw out all the options for the DIY'er. Hydraulic fittings are like legos, so can build a pretty neat setup if one wanted and had the means.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    LesPlenty, btka and superdang9000 like this.
  15. LesPlenty

LesPlenty Well-Known Member

psychonaut and pxl_jockey like this.
  16. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

FWIW the strongway does seem to come back in stock in waves. Production is hit or miss but I don't believe it is a product that will be discontinued any time soon

17. anda1anda2

My results from the last week with the bj3t33. All presses timed around 3 minutes, give or take.

Top: Bear Dance @190F, 18% first press plus another usable 3% 2nd press not pictured.

Middle left: Sunny D @200F, 21% first press, negligible 2nd press

Middle right: Chemdawg 91 @195F, 20% first press, plus another 4% usable 2nd press

Bottom: Bubblegum @ 205F, 15% first press, negligible 2nd press

[​IMG]

18. FlyingLow

FlyingLow Team NO SLEEP!

those look great!

How much are you typically pressing at a time? I tend to do 4g pucks one at a time.

Been thinking about doing two 4g pucks side by side but have not tried it.... or is it better to press it as one larger 8g puck?

19. anda1anda2

Thanks! I’ve been getting a nice cookie dough consistency after a few days on several of the strains. Tasty and easy to scoop up.

I’ve been mostly pressing 2-4g at a time. I haven’t tested any higher amounts yet, but I am planning on a 7g squish soon.

I’ve seen some folks getting good results with 2 pucks side-by-side, but not sure what the minimum pressure requirements are for that. I have the 3 ton, so I assumed I would get bettrr results with one bigger puck, but I haven’t done the math yet.

20. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

@anda1anda2 damn nice looking smorgasbord! :D

With 3 tons @ 6000 lbs, if we wanna keep the PSI around 1000, you could try out a 2.5" filter stuffed bottle tech style. That one is more suited to 10-14g but you could run 7-10g in it. That should have a sq/in of around 5 sq/in when pressed out, so you'd be at about 80% maximum pressure to achieve 1000 PSI on the puck.

@FlyingLow I like doing 2x bottle tech bags side by side when necessary. Usually I'll do 3.5g in a single run, 7g in a side by side run, 10g in a single run, 20g in side by side. Mostly I like to press 7g @ 2x 3.5g pucks side by side bottle tech style.

LesPlenty and anda1anda2 like this.
  21. MegaMan2k

MegaMan2k Well-Known Member

@psychonaut I just got my new pump, trying to dis-attach the old one from the cylinder, it seems to be stuck. Do you think its safe to use a hammer to bang the wrench to make it release? or would i risk damging the connection to the cylinder?

22. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

I'd recommend a pair of pliers on the knurled part, and a wrench on the fitting on the hose, then try and loosen the hose itself while holding the pliers tight on the knurling. You may need a longer wrench to get more leverage.

MegaMan2k and LesPlenty like this.
  23. bizwaxzion

bizwaxzion Enigmatic Cannabist

Did a few presses today, with the exception of the first experiment, all were ~6g 30mm pre-pressed pucks in 160u bags. First, to answer the question about pressing ABV, don't bother. I pressed a 10g puck and got only a slight discoloring underneath the puck. ABV = compost. Second and third presses were wedding cake mids with 12.2g yielding only 1.2g (10%) of tasty shatter consistency rosin. I pressed the first 6g at 205F and it was dark and hard to collect, so I pressed the second 6.2g at 190F which was still dark and hard to collect – but even less of it. Next up was 6.1g of sour alien @ 200F which pumped out 1.3g (21%) of rosin which could have been dabbed a single snake. I finished up with 6.6g of mystery herb @ 200F which rewarded me with 1.2g (18%). In retrospect, I think my pressure at the puck was still a little low (~600-700PSI) so I'll try to increase that a bit next time. Love this press - many thanks @dabpress.com and @psychonaut

psychonaut, MegaMan2k and LesPlenty like this.
  24. psychonaut

psychonaut Company Rep

Very nice @bizwaxzion that's a shame on the lower yielders. It's possible you may see a little more yields with some added pressure. Lately I've been trying to keep all my pucks with 1000 PSI on the bag, when I go above 1100-1200 PSI on the bag, I start seeing darker color flow.

LesPlenty likes this.
  25. voxdei

voxdei Well-Known Member

I was going to write a PM to psychonaut but decided maybe a bump to this thread might be more appreciated. :)

After reading 10 or so pages of this thread, I've weakened and decided to ask if this caged unit and press are compatible and all I need (along with flower) to get some rosin flowing.

https://www.dabpress.com/products/dp-rp37-diy-rosin-heat-plates

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-h-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-press-60603.html

I guess I would be better off getting the 'bundle' with the puck maker and filter bags. Any other suggestions? (Or, bonus goodies? lol)

psychonaut likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors